Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cashferret
    • By cashferret 14th Aug 19, 8:26 PM
    • 216Posts
    • 105Thanks
    cashferret
    Suitable cassette recorders for PIP interview?
    • 14th Aug 19, 8:26 PM
    Suitable cassette recorders for PIP interview? 14th Aug 19 at 8:26 PM
    I'm trying to help a friend source two cassette recorders for a PIP interview so that she can produce two recordings.

She thinks that an inbuilt microphone isn't likely to be good enough but I'm struggling to find anything online that has a microphone jack.

She doesn't have much money to spend.

Can anyone suggest a suitable make/model of recorder - either one with a good inbuilt microphone, or one with a microphone jack? Preferably cheap (she'll probably buy secondhand from Ebay)?

Many thanks!
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 14th Aug 19, 10:01 PM
    • 9,996 Posts
    • 12,453 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:01 PM
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:01 PM
    Almost any cassette recorder from the 1980s will have a microphone jack.

However, the PIP assessment will not permit recording unless this has been agreed in advance, and they might not accept two separate recorders. A police-interview-grade recorder produces two identical calibrated recordings simultaneously - the Neal dual-CD recorders used by DWP / ATOS cost about 1400 each.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 14th Aug 19, 10:42 PM
    • 5,852 Posts
    • 5,405 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:42 PM
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:42 PM
    2 separate recorders will be fine and people use them all the time. Soemthing like this is suitable. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5740413
    • cashferret
    • By cashferret 15th Aug 19, 8:34 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    cashferret
    • 15th Aug 19, 8:34 AM
    • 15th Aug 19, 8:34 AM
    Thanks very much!

My friend has permission to record.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Aug 19, 1:36 PM
    • 9,546 Posts
    • 2,554 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:36 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:36 PM
    Should you wish, you may use your own equipment to record the face-to-face consultation. This must be undertaken in line with the following DWP rules:
    • You need to notify us before your appointment that you will like to record your assessment by calling our Enquiry Centre on 0808 1788 114.
    • You will need to provide your own audio-recording equipment. Your recording equipment must be able to produce two identical copies of the recording at the end of the assessment, either on audio cassette or CD. Mobile phones and laptops are not suitable mediums for recording assessments.
    • You will need to give one copy of the recording to the assessor, at the end of the appointment.
    • You will need to sign an agreement that sets out what you are and are not allowed to do with the recording.
    • We will retain a copy of the recording for a maximum of 14 months, at which point it will be destroyed. We do not pass on the recordings to the DWP and they are not used in determining your entitlement or award.
    • Should you attempt to record the assessment without having contact us first and agreeing to the above guidelines, then your assessment is likely to be stopped and we may return your case to the DWP.
    • venison
    • By venison 16th Aug 19, 3:59 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 5,164 Thanks
    venison
    • 16th Aug 19, 3:59 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 3:59 PM
    It is now beyond time that they should record these assessments for everybody with DWP equipment and a copy provided to the claimant, it would be an instant solution to the number of "bad" assessments we read about, although I must say that mine was basically fair and representative.
    "You have to wait for all the good things in life, and then they don't last long"
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 20th Aug 19, 1:05 PM
    • 9,546 Posts
    • 2,554 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 20th Aug 19, 1:05 PM
    • 20th Aug 19, 1:05 PM
    It is now beyond time that they should record these assessments for everybody with DWP equipment and a copy provided to the claimant, it would be an instant solution to the number of "bad" assessments we read about, although I must say that mine was basically fair and representative.
    Originally posted by venison

I agree - technology has made this a cheap and simple thing to do - what about video rather than audio ?
    I was wondering whether, if someone surrupticiously recorded an assessment on their mobile phone and something "untoward ot worse" was said - just how this recording would be treated by a court ?
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 20-08-2019 at 1:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

415Posts Today

4,980Users online

Martin's Twitter