Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Simon7685
    • By Simon7685 2nd Aug 19, 2:09 PM
    • 1,074Posts
    • 447Thanks
    Benefits for terminally ill on top of AA
    • #1
    • 2nd Aug 19, 2:09 PM
    Benefits for terminally ill on top of AA 2nd Aug 19 at 2:09 PM
    My Mother had a routine visit from her heart failure nurse yesterday. She brought a form to be signed and said it was to get her some extra money, around 88 per week. Unfortunately I wasn't there to see the form so I am not sure exactly what it was.

    The nurse said it was extra money for terminally ill people and there were special rules about it. She said the doctor had filled in his part of the form and she had filled in the other part and it would take about 10 days to be awarded.

    I spoke to the nurse and asked if she meant AA at the higher rate because my Mother already gets that and it is around the 88 a week she talked of. She said it wasnt AA and that the council couldnt take it towards the cost of her care, which is what they did when she was higher rate AA from lower rate in April.

    Now I have looked everywhere I can think of and cant find a thing, it sounds like a fast track for AA that she is talking about, which she already gets.

    If anyone could shed some light on what else it could be I would appreciate it. I think the nurse has confused it with AA but maybe you guys might know differently.

    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 2nd Aug 19, 2:57 PM
    • 5,833 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    • #2
    • 2nd Aug 19, 2:57 PM
    • #2
    • 2nd Aug 19, 2:57 PM
    You are correct, AA is the only disability benefit available to those aged 65 and above.

    The only other benefit that's paid with AA is Severe disability premium but this is paid with pension credit, if the person lives alone and no one claims carers allowance for them. For this though, there's no form that needs to be signed by any GP.

    I think you're right, it's AA.
    Last edited by poppy12345; 02-08-2019 at 3:05 PM.
    • Simon7685
    • By Simon7685 3rd Aug 19, 6:21 AM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    • #3
    • 3rd Aug 19, 6:21 AM
    • #3
    • 3rd Aug 19, 6:21 AM
    Thanks Poppy I was pretty sure I was right but it doesn't hurt to check.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

922Posts Today

6,789Users online

Martin's Twitter