Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 4th Jul 19, 3:13 PM
    • 1,147Posts
    • 6,342Thanks
    Brambling
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 3
    • 4th Jul 19, 3:13 PM
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 3 4th Jul 19 at 3:13 PM
    Hi All

You're have to bear with me guys as this is my first thread

Thank you Cranky for running the previous 2019 challenges,

As we've decided that we'd like a new thread for each part of our 2019 challenge I've started a new one for the 3rd quarter. I haven't posted the links to previous challenges either - we're all capable of looking them up by title if we want them.

Please feel free to start posting your weight loss goals for the next challenge which will run from the 1st of July until the 30th of September (13 weeks).

You do not have to submit a loss or gain for the first week as it's our starting week, you can post your first loss or gain the week after on a day of your choice.

As usual everyone is welcome - we support and encourage, we don't judge

There are some useful links to help your weight loss journey found on the previous challenge, sorry no time currently to work out how to do them myself

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5984457&page=25 :-
Page 4
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 15th Jul 19, 7:58 AM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 10,022 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Good morning and well done s_glover

My weigh-in today and its a 3lb loss, aware that its my first week but I'm really happy with this considering I had 2 glasses of rose wine and half a bag of salted popcorn whilst watching the tennis yesterday but I did stick rigidly to the rest of the plan =
    B - 2 crispbread with cream cheese, tomato and hard boiled egg
    L - watermelon & feta salad
    D - mashed potato topped turkey & sweetcorn pie, sugar snap peas

This morning I've done some yoga before breakfast and will aim to do my brisk walk before lunch. I need to check out some other routes for my walks; yesterday was a bit hazardous having to dodge off the lead dogs and small children learning to ride 2 wheelers who all seemed determined to trip me up .

Todays plan =
    B - watermelon, 3 slices pepperoni, 2 slices mature cheese
    L - egg salad sandwich
    D - prawn and pea risotto
    S - fruit if required

Best get a wiggle on and get some housework done.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 15th Jul 19, 10:31 AM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    Izadora
    Hmmm, I seem to have started this challenge the way I ended the last one...

I've not eaten too badly but I've drunk way more this week than I should've done. Wednesday's work do was bad enough but then my husband and I ended up having an accidentally drunken Saturday too. Oops!

Oh well, +1.5lb this week and I'm off to a festival this weekend which will involve even more booze and not always the most sensible food choices.

I really will get it under control one day...

Best of luck to everyone for the week ahead.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th Jul 19, 10:38 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 49,072 Thanks
    Frith
    -1 lb.

12 stones 13.

Breakfast - 1 sausage, 1 egg, tomatoes

Tea - fajitas with chicken, onions and peppers
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 16th Jul 19, 8:41 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 6,342 Thanks
    Brambling
    Old Style Weight Loss Challenge 2019 Third Quarter

01/07/19 - 30/09/19

Imperial (lbs)
    Brambling 2/10 STS/
    Cranky -1.5/- /STS
    DundeeDoll -/10
    Frith 1/14 /
    Gingerlily -3/14
    HoneytheWitch -/14 STS/
    Izadora -1.5/7 /
    Katiepants -/14
    MovingForward -/10 STS/
    Need2bthrifty 3/14 /
    Rosewood -/14
    S_glover 5/12
    Sirens 0.5/14
    Zafiro1984 1/28 /

Weight Loss week 1 ....i'll do the math later ..............
    Last edited by Brambling; 17-07-2019 at 8:43 PM.
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 16th Jul 19, 8:47 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    s_glover
    Well done Need2bthrifty, that's a great start.

Had a good day yesterday, nice run at lunchtime, lovely salad for lunch and then pasta and bolognese for tea with a couple of biscuits after.
    Hoping to get a nice walk in at lunchtime today and maybe even one this evening.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 16th Jul 19, 9:17 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 6,342 Thanks
    Brambling
    -1 lb.

12 stones 13.

Breakfast - 1 sausage, 1 egg, tomatoes

Tea - fajitas with chicken, onions and peppers
    Originally posted by Frith
    Hi Frith

Do you want to set a target for the challenge or just play it by ear?
    • Frith
    • By Frith 16th Jul 19, 3:43 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 49,072 Thanks
    Frith
    Hello, Brambling.

I’d like to lose a stone, please. I’ve lost 1 lb so far.

Today

B - avocado and sardines

L - same (to use them up!)

T - fajita left from yesterday.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 16th Jul 19, 7:06 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 10,022 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Evening All,

Not much exercise done today as I had to be out early doors to go help out a friend and cba by the time I got back.

For my meals today, brekkie was same as yesterday, lunch was hm hummus, crispbreads, pomegranate, cucumber & radish.

Dinner was a bit of an experiment I had a couple of beef tomatoes and bacon that needed using so I cooked the bacon blitzed it in the food processor, I scooped out and half filled the tomatoes with the bacon some sad looking spring onion, sweetcorn that was lurking in the fridge, whisked up a couple of eggs to fill them up, baked until set and voila an alternative to crust-less quiche. I only managed to eat one with some green salad and a slice of garlic bread and found it quite filling, so I'll have the other cold for lunch tomorrow or Thursday.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 16th Jul 19, 9:20 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 36,623 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I managed a STS this week. I'm going running tomorrow - I haven't been since my friend began to be really poorly. Just reducing what I eat never seems to be enough for me - I only had a significant loss once I started running. I'm going to start the couch to 5k again from the beginning to break myself in gently.
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 17th Jul 19, 8:02 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    s_glover
    Cranky - good luck starting your running journey again. Easy does it to start with.

Need2bthrifty - your tomato recipe sounds lovely, what a good idea.

I had a lovely walk yesterday lunchtime and we had a nice evening stroll too as it was such a lovely evening. We even saw a very cute little hedgehog on our way back home.

Hoping for a run again at lunchtime today, although it'll be a warm one!
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 17th Jul 19, 9:35 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 6,342 Thanks
    Brambling
    I managed a STS this week. I'm going running tomorrow - I haven't been since my friend began to be really poorly. Just reducing what I eat never seems to be enough for me - I only had a significant loss once I started running. I'm going to start the couch to 5k again from the beginning to break myself in gently.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Looks like you've reset your weight after the London trip Cranky I've never been a runner I've always said I'm built for comfort and not speed and would require an industrial sport bra (sorry if TMI) a friend of mine is a keen runner and has done quite a few marathons well into her 60s. She tells me the local running club she's involved with does a learn to run 10 week course which I assume is probably similar to the couch to 5k so far I've turned a deaf ear to any suggestions or doing it. I'm happy to walk and regularly walk up 8 - 10 miles with my sister.

I love hedgehogs S_glover one of my sisters feeds them, they come up to her patio every night and she watches throught the patio doors, she has a small holding and they nest in her hay shed so she gets the babies as well. She will tell you to go away if you phone at feeding time

Weigh in later and I'm hoping for a lost this week
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 17th Jul 19, 11:48 AM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 36,623 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Cranky - good luck starting your running journey again. Easy does it to start with.
    Originally posted by s_glover
    Thanks. I did go easy on myself this morning but run one is done I feel better for it and it was nowhere near the struggle that I thought it would be so I'm still fitter than when I first started last year. I also eat better when I'm running - it's fuel not food if you know what I mean?

I am also built for comfort Brambling but the injury to my leg meant that I had to do something to help the circulation where the wound went so deep that blood vessels were removed. Running was the safest thing that I could think of as there is no contact between my dodgy leg and anything else. I was a bit doubtful at first but it's amazing how quickly it becomes enjoyable.

We love hedgehogs too. My friend feeds the ones that come to her garden.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Jul 19, 7:07 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 49,072 Thanks
    Frith
    B - yoghurt and berries

L - HM veg soup

T - lamb casserole with courgettes

Nearly the Blood Sugar Diet (hereafter BSD)
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 17th Jul 19, 8:41 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 6,342 Thanks
    Brambling
    -2lb loss this week so I'm happy . I have really tried not to eat snacks in the evenings as that was becoming a bad habit. The knitting needles and sewing machine have come out and I gardened until 9pm last night to avoid picking.

Frith is the Bloodsugar diet low carb?

B - fruit and Greek yogurt - unfortunately I picked up a big tub of 5% rather than 0% yogurt it will have to be eaten maybe just a little less than usual for breakfast
    L - egg, FF cottage cheese and seafood sticks with a large salad
    D - LO meatballs with fennel braised in Vermouth and green beans
    S - banana and fibre one brownie
    • Frith
    • By Frith 18th Jul 19, 12:12 AM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 49,072 Thanks
    Frith
    Brambling yes, no carbs/sugar. If I really do it properly, I lose a stone in the first month.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 18th Jul 19, 3:57 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    s_glover
    Had another good run yesterday despite the heat at lunchtime.

Well done with your first run again Cranky - glad it felt better than you expected.

Love that your sister feeds the hedgehogs Brambling and your comment about phoning at feeding time made me chuckle. We have quite a large garden and often find a few little 'presents' left. Not sure what type of visitor has been leaving them though!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 18th Jul 19, 5:21 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 49,072 Thanks
    Frith
    B - yoghurt and berries

L - HM veg soup

T - curry made from chick peas, courgettes and other veg from the fridge!

Pretty much BSD.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 18th Jul 19, 8:44 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 6,342 Thanks
    Brambling
    I'm away for the weekend from early tomorrow morning to sort family stuff so I'll update any weigh ins probably on Monday. Prod me if I miss yours
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 18th Jul 19, 10:50 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 11,637 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Pleased to say another 3lb has disappeared.

I've settled down to a routine which I find is easy but somewhat boring as we both are very busy at the moment so I have very little time to do any serious cooking.

B; just black tea (plus all my tablets)
    L: a couple of eggs, or a bit of cheese, maybe a tin of soup - no bread or crackers but always followed by fruit mainly apples, pears, satsumas or what ever is on offer at the supermarket.
    My fruit bill is horrendous but I do try to grow as much fruit as I can. At the moment I'm picking, raspberries by the bucket full, strawberries, blackcurrants and gooseberries.
    D: Dinner has to be quickly made. Tonight we both came in at 7.45pm so we were eating at 8.30pm and that's not unusual at this time of year.
    Usually it's a chop, a steak. a couple of sausages, a piece of fish with plain vegetables or a salad of whatever I've managed to pick that day (today was pork chop, with home grown peas, runner beans and carrots, plus the second round of tablets). No potatoes, rice or pasta for me and again fruit to follow. I know it's boring but at least I'm not thinking and being obsessed about food.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 18-07-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 19th Jul 19, 8:17 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    s_glover
    Morning all. Had a busy day at work yesterday so didn't get chance to get out for a run / walk.
    We were out yesterday evening to Ikea and picked up fish and chips on the way home. We don't have any takeaways near where we live so haven't had this for ages and it was really nice.

We're off to visit family for the weekend so there will probably be a few sweet treats. Parkrun first thing tomorrow morning and hopefully a nice walk on Sunday if the weather is nice.

Hope you all have a fab weekend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,329Posts Today

6,498Users online

Martin's Twitter