Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 30th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    • 27,210Posts
    • 325,353Thanks
    davemorton
    Elite: Is this table taken please?
    • 30th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    Elite: Is this table taken please? 30th Nov 18 at 11:43 AM
    Just looking for a spare quiet table in the corner of the arms for a few exiled elite to chat, is this table free please?
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
Page 542
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 19th Aug 19, 7:41 AM
    • 18,084 Posts
    • 38,724 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Just did quiz.
    I'm not quite bottom.
    Weekly Distance Walked 30km / Total For Year 1046 km
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 19th Aug 19, 7:44 AM
    • 21,755 Posts
    • 221,013 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Good morning all, lovely and sunny here at the moment

Thanks for the tweets, went down just right.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • tweets
    • By tweets 19th Aug 19, 10:14 AM
    • 33,574 Posts
    • 445,317 Thanks
    tweets
    Just did quiz.
    I'm not quite bottom.
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Ok no need to brag about it
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 19th Aug 19, 11:35 AM
    • 21,755 Posts
    • 221,013 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    bubbs are you ok ?

Not seen you posting for over 24 hours
    Originally posted by tweets
    Just to let you know she has posted over the other side xx
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • tweets
    • By tweets 19th Aug 19, 1:36 PM
    • 33,574 Posts
    • 445,317 Thanks
    tweets
    Just to let you know she has posted over the other side xx
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Thank you Enterprise
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 19th Aug 19, 3:33 PM
    • 33,574 Posts
    • 445,317 Thanks
    tweets
    https://go.sopost.com/Y4WIpYafQ0ut1Iyd-28XBg/claim/landing

Free sample John Frieda Shampoo
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 19th Aug 19, 5:57 PM
    • 21,404 Posts
    • 270,178 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Just been to ASDA, bag of three coconuts, priced £1.40, going through at 70p

*edit* 051413764671
    Originally posted by boomer69
    I wouldn't even buy three coconuts for 70p, let alone £1.40! Thank you, in any event, nonetheless, for posting about it.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 19th Aug 19, 6:06 PM
    • 21,404 Posts
    • 270,178 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Just another injudicious comment from me just then - they occasionally slip out - this seems good -

- and I'm just going complete opposite to everyone else again as everyone is posting greetings - hello again by the way - but I was just looking at the arcane topic no doubt of what reasonable excuses people may have for not complying with their legal obligations and it seems the cases, on tax for example, are inconsistent (but then I suppose the 'inconsistency' is that it depends on the circumstances of each case) - some say that ignorance of the law is no excuse applies only to the criminal law - and it was reading this part of the page that was making me laugh:

https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/tax/hmrc-policy/tax-penalties-can-ignorance-of-the-law-be-a-reasonable-excuse
    "HMRC contended that she ought to have stayed up to date with the relevant UK legislation, for instance by reading the Autumn Statement and online ‘agent updates’ by which the impending NRCGT legislation had been announced.

The judge rejected this contention in trenchant terms. The notion that it was unreasonable for the appellant not to recall the Autumn Statement was “claptrap” and ”nerdview”, as only a “small coterie of people obsessed by tax” would expect the Autumn Statement to register in anyone’s consciousness (at §160).

The legislation itself was “arcane, difficult to find and counter-intuitive”, and reading it made the judge’s “eyes glaze over and his senses reel” [at §174]. Nor did the online material help HMRC: ”it is preposterous to expect that a document on HMRC’s website which is not easy to find for a tax judge makes invalid all possible excuses about not knowing of the NRCGT return deadlines” (at §176)."

Of course it is unreasonable that anyone ever could not know exactly and precisely all their legal obligations at all times and they should stay up-to-date at all times with all legislation and any and all tax guidance, ought to recall every word of every government statement perfectly and at all times, and thus never have any excuse for not knowing what their legal obligations are. I am being unreasonable myself in saying this as I am exaggerating it, however that is basically the suggestion it seems to me - which this judge rejected as preposterous.

"Small coterie of people obsessed by tax". "Eyes glaze over and his senses reel".
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 19-08-2019 at 6:17 PM.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 19th Aug 19, 6:26 PM
    • 21,404 Posts
    • 270,178 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Basically, the conclusion I have now reached, having read on, is that whether you have a reasonable excuse or not depends on which judge you get.

So there we are - helpful, clear and consistent.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 19th Aug 19, 7:03 PM
    • 18,084 Posts
    • 38,724 Thanks
    Sleazy
    I wouldn't even buy three coconuts for 70p, let alone £1.40! Thank you, in any event, nonetheless, for posting about it.
    Originally posted by Savvybuyer
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 19th Aug 19, 7:45 PM
    • 56,308 Posts
    • 646,496 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    Not posted on the other side today, just bloody sat down
    Been fat club tonight
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 1 1/2lb
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 19th Aug 19, 7:56 PM
    • 18,084 Posts
    • 38,724 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Evening all
    Not posted on the other side today, just bloody sat down
    Been fat club tonight
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Could you get through the door?
    (my attempted joke)
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 19th Aug 19, 8:02 PM
    • 56,308 Posts
    • 646,496 Thanks
    bubbs
    Could you get through the door?
    (my attempted joke)
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    yes squished through
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • tweets
    • By tweets 19th Aug 19, 8:33 PM
    • 33,574 Posts
    • 445,317 Thanks
    tweets
    Hiya bubbs

I am watching match and my mate Pogba missed a penalty still hate him wish he would do one
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 19th Aug 19, 8:52 PM
    • 56,308 Posts
    • 646,496 Thanks
    bubbs
    Hiya bubbs

I am watching match and my mate Pogba missed a penalty still hate him wish he would do one
    Hello
    Pogba..........DO ONE!
    Is this site playing up for anyone else?
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • tweets
    • By tweets 19th Aug 19, 8:57 PM
    • 33,574 Posts
    • 445,317 Thanks
    tweets
    Hello
    Pogba..........DO ONE!
    Is this site playing up for anyone else?
    Its ok for me Facebook being daft
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 19th Aug 19, 8:58 PM
    • 21,404 Posts
    • 270,178 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    I get interested in things no-one else does.

Two things, first let's deal with this:

(Oh, let's not Savvy...)

"Please note that disclosure is subject to the information not being exempt or containing a reference to a third party."

However, disclosure is *not* subject to information not being exempt as although absolutely exempt information may not be disclosed if the public authority chooses to rely on the exemption (which it may well be advisable to do if the exemption is one that disclosure would break the law), exempt information that is subject to a qualified exemption still has to be disclosed if the balance of the public interest either favours disclosure or is equal to the public interest factors for withholding the information.

Secondly, mere reference to a "third party" is not thereby undisclosable. I assume they mean "third party" as in personal data. However, this relates to individuals, then to living individuals only and even there disclosure may have to be made if it is lawful and fair to do so and if the legitimate rights of the public outweigh the rights of the individual, for example if the information about activities in their *public* role rather than relating to their private life and thus no privacy rights engaged or depending on what extent of information may be requested about senior staff for example - so again, disclosure is not subject to it having no mere reference to a third party. This suggests a reference to a third party includes references to third parties such as organisations and, indeed, my request wants information relating to organisations which is *not* personal data and neither is it otherwise exempt from disclosure if the exemption on commercial interests cannot be maintained as seems to me quite likely to be the case as I doubt the exemption is even engaged in the first place let alone able to be maintained if it is engaged which it isn't.

They need education on what the law actually requires. Or, more likely, this was simply some standard wording created somewhere in government many years ago and then got picked up and used by some public authorities more widely, such as this one, even though it bears no relation to the legal position. I am glad I know what that is and I will actually be getting references to third parties disclosed as it seems to me they will be disclosable (assuming they have the information and can obtain it within the costs limit).

I will leave their acknowledgement as it is as it does not request a response from me at this stage and I assume I will get what I have requested.

More communication problems though it seems, because it starts off with:
    "If you are emailing a valid Freedom of Information request please treat this as a formal acknowledgement."

Thus, firstly, a conditional statement requiring people to know whether they have submitted a valid request or not. And then, presumably, if I have submitted a valid request, this isn't a formal acknowledgement at all. I merely have to "treat" it as a formal acknowledgement even though it isn't one? That's what that suggests. Of course really I 'know' that's not what was meant, but that's what it says doesn't it? If it is being "treated" as one, it might not actually be one but merely something being treated as if it is something that it isn't!
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 19-08-2019 at 9:04 PM.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 19th Aug 19, 9:02 PM
    • 56,308 Posts
    • 646,496 Thanks
    bubbs
    Its ok for me Facebook being daft
    Keeps saying this
    This site can’t be reached forums.moneysavingexpert.com unexpectedly closed the connection.
    Try:

Checking the connection
    Checking the proxy and the firewall
    Running Windows Network Diagnostics
    ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • tweets
    • By tweets 19th Aug 19, 9:11 PM
    • 33,574 Posts
    • 445,317 Thanks
    tweets
    Keeps saying this
    This site can’t be reached forums.moneysavingexpert.com unexpectedly closed the connection.
    Try:

Checking the connection
    Checking the proxy and the firewall
    Running Windows Network Diagnostics
    ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED
    No not seen that on here its you lol
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 19th Aug 19, 9:16 PM
    • 18,084 Posts
    • 38,724 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Bubb, if you got grief, send a smoky and i'll be right over lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

2,422Users online

Martin's Twitter