Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 24th Jun 18, 1:15 PM
    • 930Posts
    • 2,478Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Savings for the Boy & Me
    • 24th Jun 18, 1:15 PM
    Savings for the Boy & Me 24th Jun 18 at 1:15 PM
    Hello,

I've only just stumbled across this board but I've decided it is a more suitable place for me to post. I'll start with a bit of a background,. My life consists of the boy (who is 7) and me. We currently live at home with my mum and I've no plans to move out anytime soon. This way I am able to save as much money as possible.
    I also have bipolar disorder and ADHD so life can be tricky at times and I need routine, structure and stability.

Over the last few years I've been saving as much as possible into several accounts for numerous different things. I was also given a substantial amount of money as inheritance off a family member which enabled me to pay the off my car. So as life stands currently I have zero debt and a good amount of savings behind me.

I have different bank accounts for different things such as yearly expenses that creep up, so I'm always one step ahead. I pay a set amount of money into these each month and must have around 10 different bank accounts but they all serve their own purpose.

This year especially is a expensive year with everything we have going on. This includes a trip to Dublin, two hen dos, a caravan weekend away, a week in Cornwall and a two week Caribbean cruise. This is all within the next three months so obviously it's going to be spendy spendy.

I want to save as much money as possible but I've come to accept this year I'll have to be less harsh on myself when it comes to reaching goals. The idea will be that once this is all over, next year I can focus harder on saving as much as possible and in the future I'll get myself onto the property ladder when I feel ready. I could currently do it now but with so much going on and with my mental health being up and down, it isn't the right time.

So for now that's it and I'll go further into details in other posts to make it easier to read.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
Page 2
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 14th Jul 18, 7:17 PM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Savingwannabe, he is so looking forward to it so I'm hoping the weather holds out. Fingers crossed.

Well the tent I originally bought turned out to be far too big for the garden so I went and bought something much smaller which I found half price in the sale and was reduced from 39.99 to 19.99 so although I had an extra spend, I actually saved some money. This has now been erected in the garden and the boy is much impressed. I'll use the other tent to go on camping trips in the future so not all is wasted.

I also bought some new things for our BBQ which is yet to be built. I bought a cover to protect it and then some gas for when we do come to use it. This has been quite a big expense but my mum is paying half towards it which I'm grateful for. I'm hoping we can get a few BBQs in over the next couple of months with family and friends.

The boy and I then went for a stroll along the promenade and had a picnic by the beach which was lovely. He's then been to his cousins birthday party which was at a local climbing place and had great fun. I bet all of this had tired him out and he will sleep well tonight. He's currently playing football in the back and will be coming in shortly.

He has his ice skating lesson in the morning so we need to be up early for that.

All in all it's been a good day and my mood seems to have perked up. It's been dipping lately and I'm trying my best to muddle through as much as possible. I'm currently off work and trying to find ways to keep myself busy and I have a few ideas.

Anyhow, there is nothing much else to say. I hope everyone has a lovely weekend. I need to rack up some NSDs and save money elsewhere this month.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    • 14,157 Posts
    • 47,627 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The weather is going to be gorgeous till at least next weekend and maybe even then.

It sounds like he will have a lovely summer. Hooray.
    Christmas Fund 208 No spend month?
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 15th Jul 18, 9:13 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning,

I'm just going through my budget for our Caribbean cruise and have broke it down into different categories.

Flights: 500.00. (I've upped the budget for this one as I'm not quite sure the exact prices but we've already put down a deposit).
    Airport Transfer: 50.00. (I've worked out roughly what this should cost as the taxi will be split between five of us).
    Hotel: 100.00. (An overnight stay in a hotel in Miami. I'll pay for one night, my mum will pay for the other so we are even).
    Food/Drinks: 350.00. (We have to buy drink packages onboard so this should more then cover that. I'll choose a package that suits me and the boy can have whatever. I'm not getting him a seperate one as it would just bump up the costs and wouldn't be cost effective).
    Excursions: 800.00. (We will be doing quite a few so I have set aside a good amount. I'll have a shop around with all the excursions to see what is what and whether they are worth it).
    School fine: 60.00. (I'll get fined for taking him out of school so I have included this here).
    Clothing: 200.00. (I'm going to aim to lose some weight so I fit into what clothes I have and I don't plan on buying much for the boy apart from essentials. I'm hoping to stay within this budget but if it goes over, I'm okay with that).
    Other: 300.00. (This is for anything extra and allows me some wiggle room within the other budgets).

Total: 2360.00

I've got over half saved so far and any other savings over the next few months will go towards this and any leftovers from other budgets. I also have my 0% card which I can possibly use for some things such as excursions etc and anything I spend on it I'll pay back monthly. I won't treat it as a debt as such as I'll already have the money set aside in an account. This can also help towards building a solid credit history.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 15th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Once all my upcoming holidays/special occasions/other expenses are over, I've been thinking of other things I can do/save for. I want to make sure every penny has a purpose each month and then I'm not tempted to overspend or use money elsewhere. I'll just rename the accounts I have.

In regards to travelling next year I'll be saving for the following:-

- Amsterdam Fund: 50 per month. (I'm hoping to go for a weekend or midweek break to here with a friend maybe mid next year. I will source out cheap flights and basic accomodation so it does not end up too expensive).

- Europe Fund: 200 per month. (By the time the summer comes around I'll have roughly 2000 saved for this. I'll book flights/travel and accomodation seperately and will look out for the best deals possible. This should also hopefully account for days out and include the costs of food. The boys grandparents may join us for part of it as the plan was to visit Disneyland Paris but we will see. Whatever happens I'm sure it will be good. I just need to request and put in for holiday leave at work as this will have to be approved. We are looking at around three weeks in total, maybe slightly over).

- New York Fund: 100 per month. (By the time we look to go next year, I'll have roughly 1400 saved
    Myself and my friend will source out the best flight/accomodation deals and will most likely stick to a budget there. We mainly want to go sightseeing and aren't really interested in the shopping aspect).

I have also decided I want to decorate my bedroom in the upcoming months so I'm going to start a fund for that. I'm not sure how much I'll put into this but I'll do it bit by bit. I'm not starting anything just yet as I need to sort my bedroom out first and declutter.
    Last edited by Chandelier.; 19-07-2018 at 7:08 AM.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 19th Jul 18, 6:38 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning!

We've been up bright and early as the boy was due to have an ice skating session which for some reason did not materialise so he just did some practicing instead.

I'm going to get the last few bits of shopping done ready for his party. The weather looks like it's set for rain which I'm gutted about but the sleepover will go ahead as planned and I can always create a den for them inside to sleep under.

So I just need to buy food items in and will get a selection of different things such as snacks etc and a birthday cake. Then there is just the funds for the activity for them all the following days. I need to figure out an action plan of what to do as a back up if it really does rain! I'm gutted about the weather forecast.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 19th Jul 18, 7:04 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I've compiled a budget that will happen from October onwards.

Bills.

- Rent: 200.00.
    - Phone: 23.00.
    - Gym: 22.50.
    - Union: 16.40.
    - Denplan: 11.99.
    - Prescription: 10.40.
    - Spotify: 9.99.
    - Phone Insurance: 7.99.

Total: 302.27 per month.

Savings.

- HTB Isa: 200.00 per month.
    - 5% Account: 300.00 per month.
    - Amsterdam: 50.00 per month.
    - Europe: 200.00 per month.
    - New York: 100.00 per month.

Total: 850.00 per month.

Budgets

- Extra Curricular: 350.00 per month.
    - Petrol: 80.00 per month.
    - Car: 100.00 per month.
    - Food shopping: 80.00 per month.
    - Childcare: 50.00 per month.
    - Registration fees: 15.00 per month.
    - Birthdays: 30.00 per month.
    - Christmas: 50.00 per month.
    - Entertainment: 150.00 per month.
    - Emergency Fund: 50.00 per month.

Total: 955.00 per month.

Overall outgoings per month; 2107.27.

Every penny has its place. I will have wiggle room in many budget areas.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Jul 18, 8:21 AM
    • 14,157 Posts
    • 47,627 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello, I hope it doesn't rain for the party. Well done on posting your budget. I am gobsmacked that your food bill is so low. 80 is brilliant how do you do it? I spend between 100 and 120 and there is only one of me. Good luck at party.
  • archived user
    I've compiled a budget that will happen from October onwards.

Bills.

- Rent: 200.00.
    - Phone: 23.00.
    - Gym: 22.50.
    - Union: 16.40.
    - Denplan: 11.99.
    - Prescription: 10.40.
    - Spotify: 9.99.
    - Phone Insurance: 7.99.

Total: 302.27 per month.

Savings.

- HTB Isa: 200.00 per month.
    - 5% Account: 300.00 per month.
    - Amsterdam: 50.00 per month.
    - Europe: 200.00 per month.
    - New York: 100.00 per month.

Total: 850.00 per month.

Budgets

- Extra Curricular: 350.00 per month.
    - Petrol: 80.00 per month.
    - Car: 100.00 per month.
    - Food shopping: 80.00 per month.
    - Childcare: 50.00 per month.
    - Registration fees: 15.00 per month.
    - Birthdays: 30.00 per month.
    - Christmas: 50.00 per month.
    - Entertainment: 150.00 per month.
    - Emergency Fund: 50.00 per month.

Total: 955.00 per month.

Overall outgoings per month; 2107.27.

Every penny has its place. I will have wiggle room in many budget areas.
    Originally posted by Chandelier.

Good budget
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 20th Jul 18, 4:50 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Saving, I pay half towards the food costs and so does my mum so the budget is 160 a month (for three of us and sometimes a lodger) so it works out at 80 per person, per month. I've taken on the roll of food shopping and keep to a budget each month.

Yesterday ended up very spendy due to a number of reasons. I'm going to wipe the rest of this month off and just focus on the upcoming months now. I need to return the first tent we bought. I've ended up buying yet another one as due to one of sons friends texting last minute saying he will now come, the three man tent definitely wouldn't have been big enough so I bought another four man tent which is an air one and much easier to put up. So once I return the original four man tent that will be 89.99 back in my pocket.

I have lost count of final figures of what I've spent for the boy's birthday but it definitely has come under budget for everything.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 20th Jul 18, 5:32 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning.

So today is the day the boy breaks up from school and is having his camping style sleep over.

I've dug out all my receipts and finalised all the budget areas. I've gone slightly over budget in one area but I actually don't mind because I spent less in others. I also spent quite a bit in the food area but that's because I've really stocked up on numerous drinks to cover the children's requirements but will have plenty left over to use over the upcoming six week holidays.

So here we go..

---

The Boys Birthday Budget/Finalised spends.

- Food: 26.54/30.00. (This includes all food items, plenty of drinks, snacks and sweets to fill up the Mason jars as a "party bag").

- Activities: 92.18/75.00. (I've bought numerous garden games and then we have the cost of the day out tomorrow. I've obviously gone over the budget here but I've planned lots of different activities and bought things for these such as water guns/balloons for a water fight, slime ball sets to make up their own slime, an archery set to play against each other and a few other games. Things like the archery set, water guns and other garden games will also get reused over the course of then summer so I'm not too fussed. The following days activity is at a climbing centre and costs 11.95 per child. I'll take my own drinks and snacks for the kids).

- Invites/Decs: 13.08/15.00. (I have everything I need now decoration wise. I'll be putting them up today!).

- Cake: 7.29/10.00. (I'll just buy a store bought cake as there is no point of having one hand made as they are so expensive and most of the time alot of it can be wasted).

- Presents:50.00/50.00. (I will give this to the boy on his actual birthday which is in August).

Total Budgeted: 180.00.
    Total Spent: 189.09
    Overspent by: 8.09
    ---

So overall I dont think I've done too bad considering! I just hope the boy has a fantastic day and the weather holds out. Right at this moment its blue skies but we all know how quickly that can change and the forecast does say rain. Fingers crossed !!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 20th Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Argh rain is forecast from 11am onwards, I'm so gutted. Hopefully the boys wont mind activity in the rain as its still pretty mild. I'll probably do all that of them still and then calm them down with a movie and popcorn. We have a very busy weekend ahead of us.

Today is obviously the boys birthday camping sleepover. Then tomorrow we are off to the climbing place followed by a BBQ at the boys friends house and another BBQ at my aunts which we will attend later on in the day. Then on Sunday the boy has ice skating. I still need to sort out some more lessons for him, I just haven't had the time and ice time has been reduced.

All will work out in the end though. My mental health isn't brilliant at the moment and I had a setback on Tuesday but I'm getting there. They said I could possibly have needed some respite/hospital admission to try and sort myself out but I refused. I think its given me a bit of a kick up the bum. I'll be planning my return to work for hopefully the beginning/middle of August. I need to get some more routine and structure back into my life and I don't want to be off too long as this could be detrimental to me or a further set back.

Anyway I hope everyone has a good weekend and I'll sure update at some point of what has happened and our wee adventures!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Jul 18, 6:31 PM
    • 3,671 Posts
    • 19,331 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on all the savings Chandelier. I hope your boy has had a wonderful day and the rain has stayed away
    Balance 0% credit card 1360 698
    0% Car Loan 7500 balance to pay 1/10/19 160 1/11/19 160 1/12/19 160 finishes 1/1/2020 140.
    Emergency fund 100
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Jul 18, 6:49 PM
    • 14,157 Posts
    • 47,627 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    It was supposed to rain her and didn't so I hope your day went well and you are having a rest now. Good luck.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 21st Jul 18, 11:14 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Hello!

The sleepover went well !

The boys pretty much entertained themselves thank goodness. They played football, had a waterfight, played hide and seek, played on their tablets and then wound down with a film with popcorn.

They were more then happy to eat pizza and chips for tea which was simple enough.

They had a pretty late night though and didn't go to sleep till around 1am. They were just too excited and playful, bless them. However they decided to give me an early morning start at 6.45am which I wasn't too fond of but hey it's a one off. I slept in a seperate part of the tent to make sure everything was alright.

They had their breakfast and then we headed off to the climbing place where they all had a good go at it and enjoyed themselves. They did manage to wangle a slush out of me.. 2.50 each for a small cup .

Overall it was a success and I had four happy boys !

I'm just managing to wind down for an hour until we are off to the first of our BBQs for the day. We will probably stay around two/three hours then we will head to our next one where we will spend the rest of the evening surrounded by close family.

I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight either. It will probably be a late one and then we have an early start tomorrow morning.

Whilst at the climbing place they offered a summer pass for 40 which gives them six climbs over the next six weeks. It's usually 11.95 a session so there is saving of 31.70. I decided to purchase one for the boy and it's something we can do over the upcoming weeks that he will enjoy and I'm sure one of his friends will come alonh. I've used funds from the entertainment budget for this as I've still quite a balance left over. It's been a quiet month for me social wise and anytime I have been out it's either been low spend or I've been to a friends house to catch up.

We have passes for our local theme park which we will use over the summer, so we have plenty to do to keep us busy.

The boy does realise how lucky he is. To be honest he's quite spoilt being an only child but he doesn't act it. He's always grateful and says thank you each time we do something. At least I've done something right when raising him. I try to explain that not everyone is as fortunate as him and it's not always as simple money wise. He understands that I budget and manage my money well and prioritise needs vs wants.

Anyhow I best get off to enjoy the rest of the day. I could go on forever
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 21st Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Oh and it did rain all afternoon/evening. We got rather wet but it did make it more fun. The tent is definitely waterproof though and kept us dry so I've used this experience as a dummy run and I can't wait to use it to go camping in the future.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Jul 18, 7:29 PM
    • 14,157 Posts
    • 47,627 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well even if it rained it sounds like the party went really well and a fab occasion was had by all. Congratulations I bet that is a big weight off your mind!
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 22nd Jul 18, 7:33 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    My pay has massively been messed up this month following looking at my payslip. I'm basically only getting paid 107. I don't know what they have done or how but its royally screwed everything over. I'm down near enough 140% of my wage and I'm gutted/fuming. It is a good job I've been putting money aside for everything and not living paycheck to paycheck but it does affect a few things. By the time I try and sort it tomorrow they will not be able to rectify it and I'll still only get 66% of my wage until they somehow rectify it next month. I know I'm off sick but the occupational pay is full pay for the first month or two before dropping it down and they've put me straight into SSP and then deducted so many hours.

I'm so frustrated/angry/worried. It looks like I'm really going to have to cut back this summer and do more things that are free etc.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 22nd Jul 18, 7:58 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    None of it makes sense and it's making me feel sick/anxious/worried.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Jul 18, 8:23 AM
    • 14,157 Posts
    • 47,627 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Gosh this is bad. When you ring them I hope they can sort it asap. Please try not to stress and don't make yourself ill.

Try to sit in the garden and chill today. You don't have to spend any money and can just do nice things.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 22nd Jul 18, 9:54 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    It's really knocked me saving. I'm basically only getting paid 107 of my wage for the month. They've massively cocked up but due to the way it works they will only advance me 66% of my wage if it gets rectified and I'll have to wait until next month for it all to sort out. Next month seems a long way, away.

Right before August/September which are going to be our spendiest and busiest months! The car insurance is due, other holiday spends/expenses amongst other things.

I'm so glad and grateful I have savings and can move things around. I just didn't want to. I know that sounds really spoilt or petty but I was just getting into a routine and structure with all the finance side of things.

I'm lucky and grateful for the position I'm in. I just need to be wise and sensible these next few weeks.

We have an upcoming weekend away in Mablethorpe. Originally I was unsure whether we would end up going due to an accident my friends daughter had when she fractured a skull but she has confirmed today we are still definitely going. We will be driving up in seperate cars I think which although will cost us more in petrol I think its potentially easier so I've put some extra money aside for that. We also both agreed we are doing it on a budget and will be careful which is good that we're on the same page. That's reassured me a wee bit.

Anyway I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    104/619.

Check out my Diary
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

829Posts Today

7,107Users online

Martin's Twitter