Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,334Posts
    • 7,912Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 12:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 4
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 22nd Jun 18, 10:04 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    My pleasure - I have vague memories of my parents' friends doing the whole Good Life peapod wine when I was tiny in the 70s, once my beloved Knitted Welshman and I are settled in the house we're buying next week, we want to make all kinds of Goode stuff! I'm reading this thread and others avidly
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 23rd Jun 18, 7:25 AM
    • 15,432 Posts
    • 150,569 Thanks
    mardatha
    Oooooo Kittikins that gives me ideas -- I wonder if I could knit meself a Spanish gardener or a French chef...
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 23rd Jun 18, 7:52 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 7,912 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Good morning guys
    Itís brill that you guys are getting stocked up and thinking ahead.
    Today Iím going to have to buy milk, bread and salad stuff but tonightís meal is from stuff already in. Meatballs in gravy ( the meatballs have been wandering round the freezer for a few weeks now so need eating) with frozen broccoli and a tin of potatoes. Iím determined to make do as much as possible until my online shop comes on Tuesday.
    Also I need to get my CV updated today and will keep an eye out for jobs advertised in windows while Iím out. Weíre an old fashioned lot here and employers still do that. I really do need to start putting some money away ( for savings and our next holiday. )
    The weather is supposed to keep improving for the next week or so and be lovely so as much as possible will be done on foot.
    Good for all you gardeners.
    A bit of sunshine really perks me up and I get so much more done.
    Anyway better get on
    Have a good day
    Cuddles
    2019 Grocery Spend £1015.34/£2000
    September grocery challenge £56.89/£200
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 23rd Jun 18, 12:59 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Oh Mardartha, you can't get better than a Knitted Welshman *swoon*
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 23rd Jun 18, 1:42 PM
    • 13,660 Posts
    • 186,107 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Small word of caution over pulses, rice, oats, flour etc. don't buy in too much as a) pulses are only good to cook and use for around 18 months, if they get too old they never soften no matter how long you cook them for, b) Flour (particularly wholemeal or stoneground whole wheat) can go rancid if it gets too old and c) All of the above can and do get infestations of thrips, pantry beetle, moth, mites and weevils which can run through your carefully stored stocks like wild fire. Even the most costly and well grown things could harbour insect eggs of one kind or another that will hatch in the warmth of a modern house. A preventive measure is to put any of the above into a sealed freezer bag and actually put them into your freezer for 48 hours which should kill anything lurking but be aware that if you have had a previous problem in the past you could still get a reinfestation even if the freezing trick has happened.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 23rd Jun 18, 4:01 PM
    • 15,432 Posts
    • 150,569 Thanks
    mardatha
    I keep flour and lentils in the freezer MrsL. I keep the bottom drawer for that kind of stuff.
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 24th Jun 18, 6:53 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 7,912 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Good morning guys
    Itís absolutely gorgeous here and far too nice to be in bed so Iím up and planning a lovely walk along the prom ( and back) when the shops open.
    Yesterday I braved L**l for salad and milk but ended up also buying some of the things on my online shop list (but cheaper) so they have now been knocked off.
    My getting stocked up ( and also saving for our next hol) means Iím also streeeeeeeeetching every meal as far as possible. Yesterdayís was mostly stuff I had in and todayís tea is cauliflower curry. Half a bag of frozen cauli that needs using, a jar of value sauce and some rice ( doesnít sound particularly inspiring but veggie, SW and cheap 3 of my favourite things)
    Has anyone else noticed that diet pop seems to be in short supply. Yesterday the only type I could find was the expensive stuff ( so we are having squash instead) and Mr T also seems to have loads out of stock.
    I read somewhere yesterday that sweetcorn is one the things that is going to be affected by the trade row between the US and the EU ( but then couldnít find the source later) so added a couple of bags to my trolley yesterday. We get through loads adding it to soups, stir fries as well as a veg so if there is a shortage or price rise Iíve got it and if not it will get used anyway.
    I hope everyone has a brill day
    Cuddles
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 24th Jun 18, 7:45 AM
    • 13,660 Posts
    • 186,107 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    CUDDLES the 'pop' shortage might be because of the shortage of carbon dioxide, the papers have been saying for a few days now that it will affect fizzy drinks and they will be less available in the shops it might (in fact almost certainly will) affect pre packed goods too as they use it inside the packaging to keep things fresher.

Sweetcorn grows well down here, I don't know if it does so well in your more northerly location but I've grown and then taken the corn off the cobs to freeze it very successfully in the past. You get a couple of decent cobs per plant usually so well worth the space on the allotment. In the height of the season it's usually 50p for a huge cob and that gives quite a lot of corn niblets, might be worth investing in fresh cobs and freezing your own?

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 24th Jun 18, 8:06 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 7,912 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Thanks Mrs LW
    Buying fresh isn!!!8217;t going to kill me if necessary. I popped a couple of bags in the freezer and will see how things go. I can also live without pre packed foods and pop if needed. OH gets grumpy if he can!!!8217;t have fizzy drinks occasionally but if there!!!8217;s a good reason he!!!8217;ll be ok with it.
    It!!!8217;s a bit worrying that Mrs May has started making noises about no agreement if they can!!!8217;t get what they want. The trouble is I don!!!8217;t think that they know what they want.
    Saying that I!!!8217;m not going to worry myself silly over something I!!!8217;ve no control over. All we can do is stock up, keep our eyes and ears open, and live as well as we can.
    TTFN
    Cuddles
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 24th Jun 18, 8:27 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 10,421 Thanks
    grunnie
    I grow sweetcorn in a greenhouse and some of the grandchildren love to pick it. It freezes very well. I think diet drinks are going to rise in price and as someone has already said you need to stock up if you can't live without them Something to do with the sugar tax even if they are sugarfree. My local pub has stopped coke and now has pepsi as it is so much cheaper. Yuk I hate that stuff just give me a decent cup of tea and I am happy.
    I filled my store cupboard when I was south to the Highland Show in Edinburgh. I did a click and collect order for Waitrose for their own brands even their shower gel which I love. Bargain too spend £80 and get £20 off.
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 24th Jun 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 7,912 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi grunnie
    Unfortunately I live in a flat without a garden or near enough to an allotment. I used to have a greenhouse when the kids were young and grew tomatoes and strawberries in pots and really enjoyed that, but canít any more.
    My mum brought me up to make do with whatever I have ( or can get hold of) so donít think Iíll struggle if there are shortages of anything or anything I canít afford. Iím lucky that my boys have both moved out so it is just me and OH. I feel for young families trying to eat healthily cos little ones donít always want to eat what can be supplied on a tight budget.
    Personally I think there should be more useful basic how to cope on a tight budget type programmes on tv to educate on not just food but other parts of life too. There seems to be plenty on tv saying that people and their kids are fat, unhealthy etc so why canít they give ideas on how to do something about it. Anyway Iím getting off topic so Iíll go for now
    Cuddles
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 24th Jun 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 10,421 Thanks
    grunnie
    I live near a Tesco and shop there about 7 ish when they reduce stuff. I buy the veggie bags carrots with broccoli and cauliflower and add 2 to a pan of water a stock cube and that makes a great pan of soup for the freezer. A pan of homemade soup for 20p.
    I have to say tho I have a huge garden I don't pick my own flowers as I love to see them grow but when the bouquets in mr ts are reduced to 10p I can't resist.
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 24th Jun 18, 10:37 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 7,912 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi again guys
    Well my walk was productive (but I need a sit down now)
    I went in Mr Ts to see if they had value dishwasher tabs. They didnít but there was loads of lovely YS stuff. Two packs of stewing lamb, one pack of stewing beef and one pack of the posh meatballs. All half price. Thatís as good as it ever gets because of demand. But half price is half price. And my freezer is getting nicely topped up.
    The dishwasher tabs came from P land and also I noticed a vacancy in a shop so my cv needs tidying, printing and then taking in tomorrow.
    A good day so far
    Cuddles
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 24th Jun 18, 6:35 PM
    • 15,432 Posts
    • 150,569 Thanks
    mardatha
    Thank god we have our own lamb to fall back on.. I'm living up here with millions of the bloody things, I just wish they werw a bit cheaper!
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 26th Jun 18, 12:09 AM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 6,680 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    Fabulous thread thank you!
    Grunnie I havent a clue why you think independence would make anything already worse than it is. Scotland would get new trading partners and new deals in place - any country that has whisky and oil is never going to be stuck!
    Whoever it was who asked about longlife milk (CJ?) I use them up in milk puddings and baking.
    We already eat 1950s UK style - mainly because the wartime cookbooks recommended to me by people on the OS threads really work for me and taste like real food Those new books have recipes with 900 ingreds (and every single one has to be either wild or distressed or torn) drive me insane I know where I am with lamb hotpot or cottage pie.
    So what I'm going to try to do, health allowing, is to extend the veg garden by a good bit. I'm too high up to grow any fruit but berries, so I can plant some rasps and blackberries. Crumbles and pies from those. Already grow tatties and onions and leeks. Soups and fillers for stews from those 3 things.
    We're facing a huge drop in income and increasing frail health here so this thread couldn't have come at a better time
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Which wartime cook books do you have?

I was gutted enough when Trump upped tariffs to Europe as it means bourbon will go up in price
    I have started to make my own wine, previously made elderflower champagne, currently experimenting with an apple and mango wine. Smells a bit vinegary at the mo but hopefully it will turn out ok!
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 26th Jun 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 7,912 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Good morning fellow frugallers
    It is absolutely lovely here again today. It makes me feel so energetic that Iíve even tidied up.
    My online shop arrived today and my stocking up is going nicely. The freezer is full (lots of veg, meat and one loaf of bread so save trips to the shop.
    The slow cooker has a chicken in and I am going to streeeeeeetch this as far as possible. Chicken salad for tea, chicken wraps for lunch tomorrow and I may freeze some to use in a curry at a later date.
    Sad I know but Iíve started next weeks list. I am aiming for being extra stretchy with the food I have in so my food shop will be same amount spent but a third will be towards stocking up ( I hope that makes sense)
    It is helping that we are doing SW so no cakes, biscuits, booze or ice cream are coming into the house. No point paying out to diet if you donít give it 100%
    Anyway time to get on
    Have a good day guys
    Cuddles
    • RebeccaAnn
    • By RebeccaAnn 26th Jun 18, 11:03 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 729 Thanks
    RebeccaAnn
    Small word of caution over pulses, rice, oats, flour etc. don't buy in too much as a) pulses are only good to cook and use for around 18 months, if they get too old they never soften no matter how long you cook them for, b) Flour (particularly wholemeal or stoneground whole wheat) can go rancid if it gets too old and c) All of the above can and do get infestations of thrips, pantry beetle, moth, mites and weevils which can run through your carefully stored stocks like wild fire. Even the most costly and well grown things could harbour insect eggs of one kind or another that will hatch in the warmth of a modern house. A preventive measure is to put any of the above into a sealed freezer bag and actually put them into your freezer for 48 hours which should kill anything lurking but be aware that if you have had a previous problem in the past you could still get a reinfestation even if the freezing trick has happened.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Thank you for this. I haven't ever stored food before. We use a lot of the items I have bought so I doubt we have over a years worth. Good to know though .
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 26th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    • 13,660 Posts
    • 186,107 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've had it happen a couple of times RebeccaAnn and it's really horrible, I was shuddering for months. I don't know how the little pests manage it but they get inside unopened packs and you can see the little blighters through the packaging YUKKKKK! I freeze things as they come home now and don't have more than the next pack in store any longer, it's a saving of money if I can use what I've paid for rather than have to throw it away!

• cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 28th Jun 18, 5:27 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 7,912 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Good morning guys
    Boy is it warm this morning. Iíve been up since half past 5 cos it is too warm to sleep.
    On the up side the heat helps with the diet cos Iím not feeling hungry.
    Alls going well here, the foods lasting well, mainly cos we are living on salad and last nights fish, mushy peas and baby potatoes turned into just fish and peas so the potatoes will do for another meal.
    OH has discovered wraps rather than bread so my rubber chicken will probably do at least two more meals. Sweet and sour chicken for tea and probably lunch tomorrow.
    Part of me was tempted yesterday when I was doing my CS shift. Thereís always loads of lovely stuff but all I really need are jeans and jumpers and Iím hoping by winter to be a bit slimmer so Iím fighting the urge to buy.
    Iím in again today and then doing an extra tomorrow ( the CSs are really struggling for volunteers) so that will keep me out of mischief.
    I donít know whether itís the right thing to do but I keep flour in the fridge to keep the weevils at bay. It doesnít make a lot of difference to my baking cos my cakes are always quite heavy ( but they still never last long)
    I hope everyone is keeping well hydrated and using sunscreen.
    Keep well guys
    TTFN
    Cuddles
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 29th Jun 18, 4:04 PM
    • 13,660 Posts
    • 186,107 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well, I've been thinking.....always worrying I hear you think BUT I'm getting so very cross with the unelected big bods in the EU spouting on at us in the UK for having the utter nerve to have decided to leave and making things just about as difficult to achieve that as they can in the forlorn hope that if they're obstructive enough we'll meekly say it was all a huge and ghastly mistake and please can we stay after all that I'm making a list of all the lovely places I still would like to holiday at in the good old UK. I won't be holidaying on EU territory, I suspect we'll be very badly regarded if and when we do manage to get shot of them and they'll make life as difficult as possible if we DO go which is sad because there are a couple of places that I really do care for. What they'll miss is our money even if they don't miss our race and I'd much rather spend our money here in the UK to benefit our country and see some gorgeous places in the doing thereof. Sometimes my blood boils when I hear the EU hierarchy pontificating!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

1,623Users online

Martin's Twitter