Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,333Posts
    • 7,900Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 12:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 105
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 18th Aug 19, 2:08 PM
    • 8,875 Posts
    • 31,614 Thanks
    Primrose
    I usually do make marmalade with fresh oranges in January but thought I'd get the Mamade in just in case there are problems obtaining them next year. DH has marmalade every morning so I'd like to make sure we do have some in the Brexit cupboard.Lakeland seems to be only place that stocks the thick cut Mamade around here.
    Originally posted by THIRZAH
    One would hope that even if there were temporary import hiccups for fresh fruit and veg immediately after Brexit, these would have been ironed out by the time the January Seville orange season starts here. Don,t forget that the UK is a big market for Seville oranges and the Spanish growers can't afford to have their fruit rotting on the trees and losing them money. A way of getting them here will surely be found.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 18th Aug 19, 2:35 PM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 14,939 Thanks
    Farway
    I wonder if the shortages will be of similar things as WW2 because its imported good again? I do like bananas!
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    Bananas are one thing there will not be a shortage of, unless folks panic buy them. AFAIK bananas are not grown in Europe, they are imported from the likes of West Indies / South America, currently directly into Portsmouth. I stand to be corrected if anyone knows of European bananas plantations

The wartime shortages were due to many things, ships being sunk was main problem, and of course weapons and fuel took priority over non necessity food at that time
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 18th Aug 19, 6:00 PM
    • 1,950 Posts
    • 27,694 Thanks
    short_bird
    Has anyone considered the possibility that we aren't trading directly with a country for their goods but with a third party company who might be based in the EU? Therefore we might not have a trading agreement with that company because they made an agreement with the whole of the EU. One for further investigation.

And a few banana facts...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_industry
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th Aug 19, 6:43 PM
    • 9,985 Posts
    • 34,444 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Back in the older days we had Bananas & Dollar Area Bananas & a different duty rate on each.
    'Ware Smuggled Bananas...

We have form for Seville oranges. Somewhere our desire for them was misinterpreted as they must be a weapon. I can see that a frozen orange would dent thin armour, but really! Such misunderstandings.

Oh yes & mixed citrus marmelade is still a wonderful thing. For the purists only Seville will do, but to make something acceptable, oranges lemons grapefruit & co can all do their bit. I am trying again with quinces as apparently they smell wonderful, set like green apples & make a quince marmelo that has to be nibbled on to be believed.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 18th Aug 19, 8:09 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I stand to be corrected if anyone knows of European bananas plantations
    Originally posted by Farway
    Well I know a guy in Pitsmoor here in Sheffield who was growing them It even made the BBC news a couple of years ago

Sorry for barging in, but been lurking on this thread for a couple of weeks and I'm happy to observe that it seems troll free so I'm in...
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 18th Aug 19, 8:30 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    unrecordings
    ...If you'll have me. Growing up in the 70's/80's, three day week, threat of nuclear war etc etc, prepping seems natural to me. And maybe it's the hunter gatherer instinct.

Given that I don't get out much we started our prep last October, with a gentle 'buy one extra' on things like paracetamol, toilet roll & kitchen roll & a little dried pasta I'd also managed to get 60 days stock of my essential meds provided by my GP.

Of course by April that all went out of the window so we started again. I've got about 30+ days on my meds and hope to build that up a little (with a couple of extra weeks of lower dose surplus supplies where I can just double the dose). I think the only thing I'm worried about is panic buying, and my meds getting disrupted - oh yes and the endless rhetoric.

Hopefully it'll just be like the millenium bug all over again
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 18th Aug 19, 8:31 PM
    • 5,756 Posts
    • 45,981 Thanks
    DawnW

Oh yes & mixed citrus marmelade is still a wonderful thing. For the purists only Seville will do, but to make something acceptable, oranges lemons grapefruit & co can all do their bit. I am trying again with quinces as apparently they smell wonderful, set like green apples & make a quince marmelo that has to be nibbled on to be believed.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory

I grow quinces (sadly there aren't many this year) but have only used them for jelly, which I make most years. They do indeed smell wonderful, and are a beautiful golden colour when ripe. But the jelly is always pink.They are really hard to cut up though!

I shall have to try the marmalade.

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th Aug 19, 8:36 PM
    • 9,985 Posts
    • 34,444 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    <nostalgic sigh for millennium bug>
    At least we knew it was real, if even we didn’t know what might wobble.
    I had a box of nappies, three tins of baby milk, and a bottle of duty free vodka set aside ready to cover anticipated challenges then.

This likely coming little local knees-up has required rather more thoughtful planning, although the same extra cash in hand - goods always easier to trade than notes.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 18th Aug 19, 9:03 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    unrecordings
    <nostalgic sigh for millennium bug>
    At least we knew it was real, if even we didnít know what might wobble.
    I had a box of nappies, three tins of baby milk, and a bottle of duty free vodka set aside ready to cover anticipated challenges then.

This likely coming little local knees-up has required rather more thoughtful planning, although the same extra cash in hand - goods always easier to trade than notes.
    As an interesting aside, back in 2008 I ran/was de facto CFO/COO for a distribution company with over £1m in our client royalty account. The directors mainly started to panic about that £1m and it was suggested that we take a portion out and place into separate accounts to mitigate any losses for our clients. I ended up writing a very long late night email explaining what would happen should a high street bank fail, and that in such circumstances we were much better buying guns, ammunition, tinned beans & coal than trying to spread our obligations across multiple failing institutions. Sanity prevailed I'm happy to say, and the consensus was 'we hold our nerve'. I didn't mention my good clients in Iceland - they variously instructed us not to try to pay them by any means - if memory serves they waited over six months. But this is just an illustration of how rhetoric and scaremongering can make matters a whole lot worse - especially in the era of clickbait & fake news
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 19th Aug 19, 5:34 AM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    gfplux
    Well folks, the long awaited announcement has finally come that there will probably be shortages of food, medicines and fuel come Brexit day and I now expect there to be gaps on shelves in the shops. It will be interesting to see what people feel are the necessities of life as opposed to what I think are the necessities of life.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I think itís clear that if you havenít already started stockpiling then this document is the starters gun.
    There will be no Brexit dividend. "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Aug 19, 6:24 AM
    • 12,641 Posts
    • 242,930 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I would expect the month of October to be interesting and demanding for those in retail who need to get consumables (shelf-stable or otherwise) onto shelves.

It's very likely that hysteria will be fanned by the media and cause panicky and unpredicable shopping patterns, which will generate some local shortages, which will generate panics spread in minutes on social media, and thus it will go around and around.

You only need to see the excessive consumption which precedes any public holiday or rumour of snow to get an inkling of what might be in store (pun intended).

I expect that there will be extra work for car bodyshops as over-excited drivers manoever in crowded carparks. Might be a good idea to keep out of these places with your treasured vehicle in the last days before B****t.

I'm old enough to remember the Three Day Week and the power flickering on and off like fireflies, too.

Might be an idea to have an alternative method of making a kettle of boiling water, as Tea is the rod and staff of many a life.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th Aug 19, 7:39 AM
    • 9,985 Posts
    • 34,444 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Might be an idea to have an alternative method of making a kettle of boiling water, as Tea is the rod and staff of many a life.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Sage words!

Just eyeing the retail park car park yesterday suggested prepping to avoid potentially built up areas in October. And shopping using flexi leave so I can get in & out of supermarkets as the bulk of the happy populace is shackled to a schooldesk, office desk or whatever. Before noon, eyeing the Google charts indicating business, or in the wee small hours (but will they have the stock I'm after.)

Himself has decided that October is when He Will Start Our Prepping, dear-saints-give-me-patience. [A not wholly unreasonable guide to the man in the street & his grasp on reality, mind.] He's got an eye on porridge oats. I'm torn between encouraging him & thinking I'm the house driver. Also that whilst I revere porridge as a wholesome staple, I actually like quite a Variety of foodstuffs.

My local pharmacy tell me they are getting their flu jab stocks in the second week of September. When my GP does, I wot not, but the pharmacy has an 'ask during week day hours' & they can pull a vial from the fridge schedule.
    My GP runs clinics which are at weekends & are a roll call of carers & elderlies & otherwise generally good eggs whom I otherwise don't see often. Either way, I plan to start October with an armful of bonus bugs. I qualify, & should my lot come down with something, it'll be me nursing them. Possibly whilst eyeing a spare pillow thoughtfully but no rash moves without an alibi first.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Aug 19, 1:24 PM
    • 13,653 Posts
    • 186,029 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Kelly kettles are wonderous things, as long as you have an outdoor space you can run them on twigs and make a cup of tea wherever you are if you have matches to light the fire. Not the cheapest option but a very useful bit of kit.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Aug 19, 3:27 PM
    • 12,641 Posts
    • 242,930 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Kelly kettles are wonderous things, as long as you have an outdoor space you can run them on twigs and make a cup of tea wherever you are if you have matches to light the fire. Not the cheapest option but a very useful bit of kit.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I adore my Kelly Kettle and have a bag of dried pine cones to run it with, although I'd have to use it on the communal walkway outside my door. Needs must when Tea is concerned.

Now that I think of it, I shall go to a certain place nearby where there is some fancy-schmancy species of pine with very large cones lying underneath and have me some of them. Which I might dip in melted wax from reconstituted candles as a flammability aide.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• jk0
    • By jk0 19th Aug 19, 4:57 PM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 26,824 Thanks
    jk0
    Had to beg my mother to fill up with petrol yesterday. I'm quite sure it'll be back to 25% full by the time she needs a full tank though.

I begin to wonder if it's alzheimers.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th Aug 19, 5:01 PM
    • 9,985 Posts
    • 34,444 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Prepping for increasingly ‘eccentric’ parents is blinking tough. Says she who took training to teach scouts to shoot.

Have I mentioned I have to have the radio on when making jam as I learned in a kitchen full of womenfolk (granny, aunts, cousins) & making jam solo feels Wrong?

GreyQueen, take the kettle to the fancy cones - if they won’t drop in, they’re not worth cosseting in candle-ends?!
    • DryTheRain
    • By DryTheRain 19th Aug 19, 5:02 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    DryTheRain
    Well, I don't know if this is a taste of things to come, but my carer and I often go to ikea on Sundays, for salmon/meatballs in the caff and to pick up a plant or some tealights, admire the rugs and speakers and say maybe next time. And usually it's busy but quite relaxing overall.

It was near pandemonium yesterday, absolutely heaving and disorientatingly loud and hot. Never known it like that before, even at christmas, and certainly not a total wipeout of rechargeable batteries, chargers and solar lights.

Of course this may or may not be related to Brexit and yesterday's report, but the experience of such a mass of people was quite an eye opener, the crowds almost had an energy of their own. Not good, and especially not for a somewhat frail person, there were so many young children it was hard to get a seat at my usual resting spots.

But at least we had the luxury of it being a non essentials shop, we were there to browse and top up so it didn't matter too much if there were gaps on the shelves. Imagine what it would be like if you were actually jostling for essentials in a supermarket - a situation well worth avoiding.

So I feel mighty relieved my basic emergency stocks are already in place, and would urge any newcomers here to definitely make a start, but try and do it steadily and discreetly, there's still plenty of time to build a good back up
    • jk0
    • By jk0 19th Aug 19, 6:44 PM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 26,824 Thanks
    jk0
    Prepping for increasingly ‘eccentric’ parents is blinking tough. Says she who took training to teach scouts to shoot.

Mum told me she doesn't need to fill the tank, as a little light comes on when it's nearly empty.

Almost wonder if she doesn't want to fill the tank lest she has to give up driving before she's used it all.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 19th Aug 19, 7:47 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 3,989 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Originally posted by GreyQueen

I agree but no problem.. By October I'll be lighting the wood burner and I made sure I bought one with a flat top. I've also got a small camping stove and I've been eyeing up a Kelly Stove (get behind me Mrs Lurcherwalker, I do not need encouragement..)! Actually, blow it, I deserve one as I've just taken on an overgrown 110 m2 allotment! There's a really good shop down in Bridport who do mail order, so just take the blame MrsLW, particularly if I get the next size up!

As for crowded supermarket car parks; I'm already very, very careful and slow within them, but on the other hand I'd rather like a write-off and then chance to get a second hand electric vehicle - to be powered mainly by my own panels.

Gosh, choices, choices.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 19th Aug 19, 8:00 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 3,989 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Had to beg my mother to fill up with petrol yesterday.
    Originally posted by jk0

Fill up?! This is a money saving site. Why carry the weight of all that petrol around with you?

To be honest I go around with about a 1/3 to a 1/4 tank most of the time as I don't do a large mileage. I'll certainly be keeping a weather eye on events though, and maybe buying some new inner tubes and puncture kit for the pushbike...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,257Posts Today

6,610Users online

Martin's Twitter