Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cluelessselfbuilder
    • By cluelessselfbuilder 5th Aug 17, 12:21 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    cluelessselfbuilder
    Self build cost cutting tips needed Northern Ireland
    • 5th Aug 17, 12:21 PM
    Self build cost cutting tips needed Northern Ireland 5th Aug 17 at 12:21 PM
    Hi everyone,

We are about to (hopefully) put our house plans out to tender, however before we do this, we have to decide what kind of finishes we want for the house to get comparable tenders. Our house is 3390 sq feet (with a separate 527sq foot integrated double garage) - we haven't got any tenders yet however we think we can just about afford to finish this to an average standard, without an tarmac or landscaping, however we would love sliding sash uPCV windows and stone on the external garage walls, so we are looking for other areas we could reduce cost to account for these higher than average expenses. This (again hopefully) will be our house for life, so are totally happy to live in an unfinished house for a few years - all we really require right now is a kitchen, 1 bedroom and an en suite for the next while.

What areas would you not save money on given a tight budget? And what areas would a cheaper alternative cause no reduction in functionality of the house? We both work full time, but are keen to do as many bits ourselves as is sensible, like painting, tiling etc to reduce cost.

Am I better to source windows, bathrooms and kitchens etc myself and arrange someone to fit them, or would i get them cheaper through the building contractor (who presumably will get trade prices) and have them fit it while on site?

All suggestions gratefully received!!
Page 2
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 11th Feb 19, 4:42 PM
    • 4,167 Posts
    • 2,246 Thanks
    ballyblack
    sounds like an advert for that company
    • AJC_13
    • By AJC_13 28th Jul 19, 8:22 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AJC_13
    Clueless interest
    Hi everyone,

We are just starting to look in to building, can I ask how you chose your sites and what pitfalls there could be?

Thanks!
    • Sebastian4444
    • By Sebastian4444 31st Jul 19, 1:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sebastian4444
    Check for availability of water/electric to site. The more remote = more expensive. Electricity connection can be VERY expensive.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,150Posts Today

7,407Users online

Martin's Twitter