Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Feb 15, 5:31 PM
    • 14,145Posts
    • 47,613Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The Happy Savings Fund
    • 18th Feb 15, 5:31 PM
    The Happy Savings Fund 18th Feb 15 at 5:31 PM
    I am going to copy over all my posts about my new kitchen or lack of it!!!!

I am changing my thread name back to a more saving focussed one so I don't get distracted.

Addendum: I have changed the name again as I am planning to chill out now I have savings and am going to continue to save for happy times. lol.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 03-12-2016 at 7:16 PM. Reason: to re-focus my savings
    Christmas Fund 208 No spend month?
Page 3
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 16th Mar 15, 6:56 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,877 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    I have posted a picture for you on the Alphabet thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=67964286&posted=1#post67964286

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Mar 15, 8:29 PM
    • 14,145 Posts
    • 47,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Bless you. Goodnight. I just posted. My pictures don't get printed I will ask 3 Dogs to show me when she next visits. Silly moi.
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 16th Mar 15, 8:38 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,877 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Bless you. Goodnight. I just posted. My pictures don't get printed I will ask 3 Dogs to show me when she next visits. Silly moi.
    Originally posted by savingwannabe
    Lovely to see you on the other thread
    Goodnight

• Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 17th Mar 15, 7:12 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,877 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Have you seen this?

• TypicalVillain
    Weren't there some rumors about Idris Elba taking over the Bond franchise?
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Mar 15, 4:33 PM
    • 14,145 Posts
    • 47,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    hey! welcome 'villain.

Lovely picture UpsidedownBear.

I thought Cubby Broccoli used to produce the films?

Or is he going to be the new Bond? Blimey that'll mean Mr Bond is younger than me. Flippin heck that's when you realise that you are getting on!

Been doing lots of extra time at work. Most of it is unpaid but I am hoping I will get an overtime bonus in the summer. It will pay for my house insurance.
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 18th Mar 15, 5:06 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,877 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Yes, there are rumours Idris Elba will be the next Bond:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30613080

to an overtime bonus. Hope you get one

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Mar 15, 5:59 PM
    • 14,145 Posts
    • 47,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I don't like him? It's not that he's black (I'm Asian and consider myself black too) but he has grey hair? James Bond with a beard and grey hair. Father Christmas possibly but James Bond????

Mind you I did protest when Daniel Craig was originally suggested.
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 18th Mar 15, 6:12 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,877 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    I don't like him? It's not that he's black (I'm Asian and consider myself black too) but he has grey hair? James Bond with a beard and grey hair. Father Christmas possibly but James Bond????

Mind you I did protest when Daniel Craig was originally suggested.
    Maybe he'll shave and use some Grecian 2000

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Mar 15, 6:25 PM
    • 14,145 Posts
    • 47,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Grecian 2000! lol.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Mar 15, 12:41 PM
    • 14,145 Posts
    • 47,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    An update - within 4 days of opening my current account Halifax have given me 125. OMG!!!!!

I haven't used the debit card yet I am going to not spend any more than I have already so far I have spent about 28 on my credit card on two jumpers and some binoculars (have lived in a house with a lovely garden full of birds and have always dreamt of getting some to look at nice robins in garden). My night out with work colleagues would have cost this much and I wouldn't have enjoyed it at all.

I am not going to buy anything else this month. I do feel guilty but I still have made savings and am going to put anything left over in my savings fund.

Only one week till payday ok one week and 3 days.
    The sun is shining, clothes are drying in the garden and things couldn't be better.
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 21st Mar 15, 9:41 PM
    • 23,904 Posts
    • 155,614 Thanks
    Aesop
    well done on Halifax money.

Binoculars sound good for the garden, I hope you use them and take advantage of the view of the birds. It must be really nice.

well done on savings. you are doing well.
    Make upto 10 a day - September 2019 0.00

Make upto 10 a day - best thread ever.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Mar 15, 7:54 AM
    • 14,145 Posts
    • 47,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello dearest Aesop, How are you? 3Dogs, Andy, Steve and myself are going to your home town on 5th April. Are you free? Just in case anyone thinks I am rich. 3dogs always gets a v good deal on railway tickets and this weekend is my summer holiday! No fancy stuff for me. I am planning to spend 50-70 max and that is it.

So far this kitchen fund is going well. I have also been paying for some work in my garage and kitchen (broken washing machine and leaky pipes under sink from before Christmas) and I am trying to pay for it out of my own money rather than raiding mortgage overpayments.

In the summer hols I will be doing surveys with a vengeance, when I was last on here a few years ago following your suggestions and 3Dogs' I raised enough money to order items from Amazon for Christmas pressies.

I am so fortunate to have kind helpers advice I really do feel I am saving some money.

My friend is also going to start taking me to car boots in a few weeks so I shall look forward to that instead of treating myself on ebay.
    The sun is shining. I am washing clothes like there is no tomorrow. Marking awaits however

Still only one week and two days till payday!!!!I am nowhere near being overdrawn. I have forgotten that feeling hurrah.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 22-03-2015 at 7:57 AM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 24th Mar 15, 6:34 PM
    • 14,145 Posts
    • 47,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Just transferred 50 into kitchen fund and 50 into Christmas fund and 25 into mortgage fund.

Now how do I stop myself accessing the kitchen fund except when I need it for my kitchen? Decisions, decisions.....

Still it's nice to have to decide where to put money rather than where to find it!!!!!
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 24-03-2015 at 6:38 PM.
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 24th Mar 15, 6:38 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,877 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Just transferred 50 into kitchen fund and 50 into Christmas fund and 25 into mortgage fund.

Now how do I stop myself accessing the kitchen fund except when I need it for my kitchen?
    Just tell yourself Daniel will be very unhappy if you do You don't want him to be sad do you?

Well done

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 24th Mar 15, 6:41 PM
    • 14,145 Posts
    • 47,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hugs, so happy. We are on the way. This might pay for some drawer handles or something. Still it's a start.

I love Daniel Craig...I love Daniel Craig. ..I wonder what his kitchen looks like? (Trying not to sound like a stalker!!)
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 24th Mar 15, 6:58 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,877 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    No idea if this is his actual kitchen but I though you'd like the picture

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 24th Mar 15, 7:08 PM
    • 14,145 Posts
    • 47,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Why bless you Madame Upsidedown Bear! I am having hysterics here.

He has more positions than a top of the pops cameraman. The mind truly boggles.

Just heard that CPI inflation was 0%. OMG. I think it's deflation but the Chancellor is trying to claim all this is expected!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 27th Mar 15, 6:07 PM
    • 14,145 Posts
    • 47,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The weekend at last. Bad news being announced at work. Redundancies are being announced and lots of cost cutting. Even if I keep my job I will face a cut in salary. I shall hear more in the next few weeks.

I need to make sure I save enough and don't waste money.

I had a lovely chat with a work colleague that went on a holiday of a lifetime last year and she showed me the most stunning photographs. Luckily I did quite a bit of travelling during my twenties and early thirties so I didn't feel left out. I think that one day I will have a foreign holiday but it is essential that I build up a safety net for the next few years as I don't know what is going to happen in this economy.

It's a bit of a grim time unless you are very fortunate we just have to hang in there I suppose. Having said that I can hardly bleat about poverty as I have a nice house and 2 tvs and a computer and a mobile phone I am not exactly destitute.

Some careful planning is in order and I am sure I can get through this. The economy will improve eventually and things will turn around soon enough.
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 27th Mar 15, 6:15 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,877 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    to the news from work.

Yes - sounds like some planning and saving is the best thing you can do now. A safety net is really important.

Hope you have a nice weekend

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

940Posts Today

6,783Users online

Martin's Twitter