Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colinw
    • By colinw 25th Jul 14, 3:22 PM
    • 55,645Posts
    • 153,283Thanks
    colinw
    Red Arrows
    • 25th Jul 14, 3:22 PM
    Red Arrows 25th Jul 14 at 3:22 PM
    Currently on route from Bournemouth to Newcastle...you can catch them at

16:38 over Lincoln
    16:48 over York
    17:00 Arriving Newcastle

Hope to see them over Newcastle while walking home.....and hopefully on Saturday and Sunday at the Sunderland Air Show. They are also displaying at 19:30 tonight at Sunderland but the weather does not look great on the coast.
Page 2
  • Buellguy
    Pilots are usually shy about it. I was back seat engineer, but you weren't referring to me were you?
    Originally posted by bryanb

Not the ones we met at Waddington LOL. Although (I was army and worked Tri-service most of my career) the funniest was when being visited by a whole load of aircrew, my boss (Wing Commander ATT) pulled about 3 of them aside and asked them why they were wearing flying suits on a visit to an office environment. I was (semi) privy to the conversation that went somewhat along the lines of 'by coming in here dressed like that you are going specifically against the orders of your station commander, shall I just phone him now? Oh, and by the way, everyone out in that office thinks you look like a complete and utter c%^k, now on your next visit I expect to see you all in blues, GO AWAY, you are an embarrassment'

Left work with a smile on my face that day LOL (and I'm not just picking on the RAF, if an Army bloke had turned up in scruffy field kit or Navy in working rig they'd have got the same)
    • bryanb
    • By bryanb 27th Jul 14, 4:29 PM
    • 4,804 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    bryanb
    Not the ones we met at Waddington LOL. Although (I was army and worked Tri-service most of my career) the funniest was when being visited by a whole load of aircrew, my boss (Wing Commander ATT) pulled about 3 of them aside and asked them why they were wearing flying suits on a visit to an office environment. I was (semi) privy to the conversation that went somewhat along the lines of 'by coming in here dressed like that you are going specifically against the orders of your station commander, shall I just phone him now? Oh, and by the way, everyone out in that office thinks you look like a complete and utter c%^k, now on your next visit I expect to see you all in blues, GO AWAY, you are an embarrassment'

Left work with a smile on my face that day LOL (and I'm not just picking on the RAF, if an Army bloke had turned up in scruffy field kit or Navy in working rig they'd have got the same)
    Originally posted by Buellguy

Had a similar experience in 71. We landed at Thorney island unexpectedly, and without our backup Hercules. All uniforms etc in the Herc carried on to base. We were forbidden to enter Sgts Mess to eat. SWO unbending in applying rules.
    The Gnat had no place to stow anything larger than a screwdriver BTW.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • Buellguy
    Had a similar experience in 71. We landed at Thorney island unexpectedly, and without our backup Hercules. All uniforms etc in the Herc carried on to base. We were forbidden to enter Sgts Mess to eat. SWO unbending in applying rules.
    The Gnat had no place to stow anything larger than a screwdriver BTW.
    Originally posted by bryanb
    Nah, don't believe that LOL
    • amistupid
    • By amistupid 27th Jul 14, 8:08 PM
    • 52,775 Posts
    • 168,518 Thanks
    amistupid
    At 1550 hours today, we were sat in our back garden when the Red Arrows flew across directly above us!

Presumably they were leaving the Cleethorpe's air show and heading home?
    Last edited by amistupid; 27-07-2014 at 8:23 PM.
    In memory of Chris Hyde #867
    • bloolagoon
    • By bloolagoon 27th Jul 14, 8:36 PM
    • 7,305 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    bloolagoon
    I've never been to the air show or heard of it despite living in the north east for the last few years
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 27th Jul 14, 9:11 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    At 1550 hours today, we were sat in our back garden when the Red Arrows flew across directly above us!

Originally posted by amistupid
    Heading to Cleethorpes ,Their display started at exactly 16.00

Got some pics to post up when i get a minute
    Have a nice day
    • colinw
    • By colinw 27th Jul 14, 9:11 PM
    • 55,645 Posts
    • 153,283 Thanks
    colinw

Nope I sorted that for you Adey Glad you enjoyed it!
    • colinw
    • By colinw 27th Jul 14, 9:12 PM
    • 55,645 Posts
    • 153,283 Thanks
    colinw
    Just watched the program on BBC2 Under the bubble. Really makes you appreciate how good those guys are......
    • colinw
    • By colinw 27th Jul 14, 9:13 PM
    • 55,645 Posts
    • 153,283 Thanks
    colinw
    Heading to Cleethorpes ,Their display started at exactly 16.00

Got some pics to post up when i get a minute
    Originally posted by Lincoln Imp
    I hear it started rolling display and switched to Full....was a rolling display at Sunderland this morning.
    • amistupid
    • By amistupid 27th Jul 14, 9:15 PM
    • 52,775 Posts
    • 168,518 Thanks
    amistupid
    Just watched the program on BBC2 Under the bubble. Really makes you appreciate how good those guys are......
    Originally posted by colinw
    The OH has just watched it, she said they fly as close as four feet from each other.

Which is closer than I can get to her when I feel randy.
    Last edited by amistupid; 28-07-2014 at 7:00 AM.
    In memory of Chris Hyde #867
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 27th Jul 14, 9:20 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    We just watched the documentary they are amazing...not sure I would cope with flying upside down myself.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 27th Jul 14, 9:20 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    I hear it started rolling display and switched to Full....was a rolling display at Sunderland this morning.
    Originally posted by colinw
    Yep
    It was brilliant weather nearly all day today but about 3 ish it went a bit cloudy and they were unsure what display they were going to do until the last minute
    Luckily we got the full

I have never seen so many people on the beach ,There must have been thousands there
    Have a nice day
    • colinw
    • By colinw 27th Jul 14, 9:24 PM
    • 55,645 Posts
    • 153,283 Thanks
    colinw
    The OH has just watched it, she said they fly as close as four feet from each other.

Which is as closer than I can get to he when I feel randy.

We just watched the documentary they are amazing...not sure I would cope with flying upside down myself.
    Originally posted by nearlyrich
    Even the stuff I thought looked easier looked really tricky, like the roll backs

Yep
    It was brilliant weather nearly all day today but about 3 ish it went a bit cloudy and they were unsure what display they were going to do until the last minute
    Luckily we got the full

I have never seen so many people on the beach ,There must have been thousands there
    I did not feel to bad about getting the rolling this morning after seeing the full yesterday....they are amazing though. Glad you enjoyed it.
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 27th Jul 14, 9:53 PM
    • 17,150 Posts
    • 45,204 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    I saw the Red Arrows at the Farnborough Airshow last Sunday. We got a really good position by the runway and we could see the planes parked in a row across the airstrip. They were due to fly at 4pm and a couple of hours before that they turned up in red Minis and drove along the runway beeping their horns.

Although I have seen the Red Arrows many times I have never seen them take off before so it was a huge treat to see them line up on the runway. Just before taking off the planes engines roared and a massive cloud of red, white and blue smoke blew across the tarmac and above the spectators heads. It was very exciting.

However, although we saw them take off, they weren't going to treat us any different from any other crowd and they disappeared for ages so that they could sneak up on us and surprise us. They re-appeared very suddenly and gave us a stunning show that lasted half an hour. There were some very scary moments when they passed close to each other and I loved the bit when they drew a heart in the sky. When they came in to land one of them suddenly rose into the air and had to go round again.

What I like about the Red Arrows is they give the same performance for a poor man as they do for royalty. They want to please the crowd whoever they are. Amazing.
    Last edited by tesuhoha; 27-07-2014 at 9:55 PM.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• colinw
    • By colinw 27th Jul 14, 10:14 PM
    • 55,645 Posts
    • 153,283 Thanks
    colinw
    I saw the Red Arrows at the Farnborough Airshow last Sunday. We got a really good position by the runway and we could see the planes parked in a row across the airstrip. They were due to fly at 4pm and a couple of hours before that they turned up in red Minis and drove along the runway beeping their horns.

Although I have seen the Red Arrows many times I have never seen them take off before so it was a huge treat to see them line up on the runway. Just before taking off the planes engines roared and a massive cloud of red, white and blue smoke blew across the tarmac and above the spectators heads. It was very exciting.

However, although we saw them take off, they weren't going to treat us any different from any other crowd and they disappeared for ages so that they could sneak up on us and surprise us. They re-appeared very suddenly and gave us a stunning show that lasted half an hour. There were some very scary moments when they passed close to each other and I loved the bit when they drew a heart in the sky. When they came in to land one of them suddenly rose into the air and had to go round again.

What I like about the Red Arrows is they give the same performance for a poor man as they do for royalty. They want to please the crowd whoever they are. Amazing.
    Originally posted by tesuhoha

Could not agree more.......they are brilliant
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 28th Jul 14, 4:56 AM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    Nothing at all this week now

They are having a well earned week break
    Have a nice day
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 22nd Aug 14, 6:47 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    I took these last Sunday as they were landing at Scampton after a show at Sywell

Have a nice day
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 22nd Aug 14, 9:44 PM
    • 66,994 Posts
    • 392,935 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    They're in Fowey, Cornwall today or tomorrow.... don't know which.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Aug 14, 9:46 PM
    • 55,645 Posts
    • 153,283 Thanks
    colinw
    I took these last Sunday as they were landing at Scampton after a show at Sywell

Excellent pics! Four of them leaving the team next year
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 22nd Aug 14, 10:37 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    Took nearly 100 photo`s that day
    Only live up the road from Scampton and knew what time they were taking off so went up at one end of the runway for take off photo`s then went the other end of the runway some 45 mins later for landing

We were stood in some field right on the end of the runway and watched all 9 land one by one

Take off one
    Have a nice day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

2,570Users online

Martin's Twitter