Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 29th Sep 12, 6:55 PM
    • 2,316Posts
    • 27,342Thanks
    Coxy11
    Second Purse Challenge Thread #2
    • 29th Sep 12, 6:55 PM
    Second Purse Challenge Thread #2 29th Sep 12 at 6:55 PM
    Hi there,

This is a continuation of the thread that Kerri_dfw started at the beginning of 2012.

Please take some time to read how Mothership's second purse system works, and feel free to ask any questions you may have. We love to help

For those following the original thread if okay with you, shall we keep a track of our totals in our own signatures? I will list the original members in the next thread. Please let me know if you wish to be removed - thanks
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
Page 3
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 2nd Nov 12, 3:17 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

Thank you Billie-jo for the heads up - I got 2 x flour and a jar of mincemeat with my shop this week

Have just settled up my purses for the week:

Starting balance for 2nd purse was 39.51.
    It was payday this week, so November's 20 went into 2nd purse.
    Stock used this week totalled 31.80 giving a 2nd purse total of 91.31.
    Just placed a DR order via Qu!dco for 31 which left 60.31 in 2nd purse.
    Have moved 10.31 over to 3rd purse.

2nd purse now at 50
    3rd purse now at 73.04

We have booked a skiing holiday for February half term. Going with friends who also have 3 children. We need some ski wear, so MIL will be buying a few bits for the children for Christmas. Larger items like ski jackets and trousers will be funded by 3rd purse I think

Hope you are all doing well.
    Coxy
    • mossy
    • By mossy 4th Nov 12, 8:30 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    mossy
    Thanks Billie-Jo, I picked up some of DD's lunch snacks and they're now safely nestled in Mossy's Market. Welcome Victoria. Right, I best get off or I'll be late for Church.
    Saving for Disney again ...to big a target to face up to yet!
    Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - 10/1000 1%
    #083 SPC6 63 - SPC7 90 - SPC8 63 - SPC9 54 - SPC10 26 - SPC12
    • skilly
    • By skilly 4th Nov 12, 2:10 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    Afternoon all, well not been on here much as the whole family have been ill with one thing or another .but I have been keeping tabs on my shopping at skillys shop 😉.just added up spends and it comes to 30 so that's going in second purse 😄.got no room in my freezers for any Bargain only cupboard ones. Welcome to any one who's new to this challenge enjoy .
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • skilly
    • By skilly 5th Nov 12, 7:47 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    Morning all, 10.06 gone in second ��today :-)
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • HelenPie
    • By HelenPie 5th Nov 12, 9:25 AM
    • 502 Posts
    • 5,205 Thanks
    HelenPie
    Making a real effort to get back on top of things now. Did a "proper" shop at Mr M on Saturday and realised that they are doing their Christmas vouchers campaign again:

Spend 40 and get a coupon. If you get coupons in 6 different weeks between now and Christmas you can swap them for a 25 voucher (if anyone managed to get a coupon last week you can collect 8 in the 8 weeks before Christmas for a 30 voucher)

Hope that helps some people. I will be making up any weekly visits that don't hit 40 with things for my second purse shop

x
    Debt Free By Xmas 2013 #010 16,660.26/16,660.26 100% paid, DFD 25/06/13!
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 5th Nov 12, 9:37 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

Just back from T's and got some bits for CAZCO:

Chicken breast HP at 3 x 2
    Dairylea dunkers BOGOF 2.20/4pk x 4
    Kitkat x 21 - 2

2nd purse now at 37.60/50 but will settle up from 1st purse on Friday as usual.

Coxy
    • skilly
    • By skilly 7th Nov 12, 9:05 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    Morning all, been shopping yesterday and spent 54.80 on
    Dog mixer 3.00
    Dog food 3.00
    Cat food.5.00
    2jars lemon jam 2.00
    1 tin fruit filler 1.15
    4 tins tomatoes 2.00
    1 veggie gravy .75
    1 salad cream 2.00
    3 pkt of gold blend 7.50
    4 bottles of bitter lemon 2.00
    54.80 out of 2nd 👛leaving me with 26p
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 9th Nov 12, 6:37 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

Just settled up with 2nd purse for items used this week - total of 43.35. I have tonight placed an AF order - haven't used them in ages and it's mostly packed lunch bits and bobs with some store cupboard items too. Total of 40.45 (I think!) so will adjust my total on my sig once I have the true figure.

Take care everyone
    Coxy
    • skilly
    • By skilly 17th Nov 12, 11:51 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    Hi everyone , just added up my spends from skillys shop for this week so far it comes to 22.10 have added to sig .
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 23rd Nov 12, 10:07 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

This week I have used 25.20 of stock so my new totals are:

2nd purse: 97.27
    3rd purse: 73.04

I still have another week left of the November GC, so will tot up next weeks spends before making the switch over to 3rd purse. 3rd purse funds are going to be used for ski wear as we are going with friends in February

Really really want to make another DR order, but there doesn't seem to be anything on a really good deal at the moment. We still have 5 x steak mince, 3 x lamb mince, beef shin, and diced pork in the freezer. Would be nice to get some more casserole meat but nothing has grabbed me yet. Also I used the last of the pork sausages today - we love those sausages

Hope everyone else is doing well with their shops. Feeling rather lonely on here

Coxy
  • Muppet_baby
    Hi all,

sorry not posted in a long time but a bit ashamed as my buying got a bit out of control and my SP owes me over 100!!! I still very much believe in this system and am continuing to plug away, but I think that it will take me quite a long time to pay this amount back! I do, however, have quite an amazing stockpile, so all is not lost! I have more bubble bath & couscous than I could ever possibly use, so it could be worse!
    2nd Purse #036 46.69/50.00 3rd Purse 30.02
  • A saver
    Help! I just don't get it! Could someone please explain?
  • archived user
    Hi all, sorry I haven't been around for a while but I'm still stockpiling and I love it when I take something out of myshop! Lidl had Nesquick half price last week so I bought 6 to keep DD going She lives on that stuff!
    I keep getting offers from DR but I'm waiting until they do an offer on a sirloin joint as I fancy one for Christmas dinner
    As you know I don't do a 'proper' 2nd purse but every time I use something from Q-mart I pop 1 in my sealed pot which is getting nicely full and heavy it's opening day this thursday I can't wait to see what's in there! I can then treat myself!
    Keep up the good work Coxy, sorry you're lonely here I'll try to post more
    Rx
  • Mothership
    Helooooooooooooooo!
    Just popped in to say hi, I've been up to my eyes in it and not been near my computer. Both daughters are moving house,and my younger sister has left her husband and she's just got a flat, she has nothing. The 3rd purse has been bankrolling emergency purchases, like cookers, beds + washers etc. As one thing gets paid back its out again the same day. I've not totaled the last few months spends , But the purse has over 700 in it. Im glad I had this now more than ever. I've still not got my new fridge freezer, the plan is to get it pretty soon and give my wee sis the old one I'm looking forward to having a fish, bread and veg drawer, and maybe one for sweets.

I've been wallpapering, painting , sewing. Babysitting. And trying to help my youngest daughter clear her old house. I don't think she has ever thrown anything away.
    On top of all that I had 18 months accounts to do and an ironing you wouldn't believe , my hands are blistered.

Although I'm absolutely shattered, Im so pleased that I've been able to kit out my wee sisters house and re-cycle loads of towels and bedding. And household items.

I have missed this thread. And all of you. You are all doing so well.
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
  • leictina
    Hi all

I would love to join this challenge, i am going to start small (as i don't have much storage space for a stockpile). I am starting my 2nd purse off with a 50 float and i am going to add 2 a week and just you it for personal items such as shampoo & conditioner etc.....may buy a few other things if on good offers.

I am planning to "save" my 3rd purse until next christmas to see how much i save in a year (after "paying back" my start up 50)
    LBM @ 01.01.12 TOTAL DEBT = 13301.77. LH number 320
    POAMAYC in 2013 #1 : 54.53/10159.90
    1% challenge - 7% paid off.
    DFD @ 31.07.13 is April 2017 (45 months to go!)
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 28th Nov 12, 12:56 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Hi all
    can I please join you. I have for a while done something similar and have got a stock totalling 108.44 with second purse of 48.12/50 and third purse holds 8.66
    I buy most of our meat from a catering butchers and pay myself back each time we have something. The original cost came out of savings and once this is paid back I shall then be adding meat money also to the second purse.
    Not expecting to get any more bargains this year as freezers, cupboards, wardrobes, under the bed, and two chests are fairly packed out - but if something does show up then I can always squeeze a bit more in DH just doesnt get it but is quite happy when I produce something he says we havent got. When it comes to stocking up I find that somethings are best not mentioned to him.

Have read all through the thread over time and hope its going to get busy again in the new year.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 29th Nov 12, 10:47 AM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Wow! Hellooooo everyone

Welcome to all the newbies to this challenge - you sound like you've got it sussed!

I've been paying back 2nd purse every Friday so I'm due to tot up my spends tomorrow. 3rd purse money is going towards our ski wear (we are going in February - first time for the children eeeeekkkkk).

Need to stock up on some more bits and bobs for my shop, so will probably do that next week as I have a couple of free days.

Will post my totals up tomorrow, just wanted to say hi really
    Coxy
    • mossy
    • By mossy 29th Nov 12, 6:03 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    mossy
    I have been a bit awol and kind of lost count. Mossy's Market is trapped behind a pile of stuff, including the hoover, my baking trolley and lots of carrier bags!!

As you know I don't do a 'proper' 2nd purse but every time I use something from Q-mart I pop 1 in my sealed pot which is getting nicely full and heavy it's opening day this thursday I can't wait to see what's in there! I can then treat myself!
    Originally posted by rosyq
    I really like this idea, although it's not hardcore 2nd pursing it does still have the heart of getting bargains and saving some money! As I just buy every day stuff rather than hordes of things this might actually work for me as I'd be more inclined to put a quid in a jar! I put aside 10 a month for bargains and to be honest most of the time that would probably be plenty as I've had at least one month where I had 17 and didn't spend any of it. Hmmm this may be the way forward for MM, now I just need to dig out all of my stock!!

p.s. Sorry you were feeling lonely Coxy!!
    • mossy
    • By mossy 29th Nov 12, 6:19 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    mossy
    Help! I just don't get it! Could someone please explain?
    Originally posted by A saver
    I am probably not the best person to try to explain this, but so that you don't feel like we're ignoring you, here goes...

Point 1:
    You have a 2nd purse which you set a budget for, say for example 50 or 100. And your aim is to get that purse (float) to that figure. I call it a float because this is money you use to buy bargains and so you always want money in there.

When your 2nd purse goes over your set figure, the extra money goes in to a 3rd purse (aka money to save not spend) which you build up and use to buy something special.

Point 2:
    Okay you say, but how to I get my 2nd purse to my figure (lets say 100).

Firstly, each month you put an amount in to it, this helps to build up the kitty (float). With the money in your 2nd purse you buy bargains, buy one get one free, 3 for the price of 2, half price etc! You buy things you use, but instead of paying full price for them you wait until they're on offer at the supermarket and you buy a load and put them in a separate stock cupboard (i.e not in your normal cupboards).

When you run out of said item, instead of going to the supermarket and having to pay them full price (how rude!!) you go to your own little stock cupboard and buy it back from yourself. Most people buy it back from themselves at full price. You pay yourself for the item from your normally grocery budget but put the money in to your second purse. It's then in there ready to be used to buy more bargains and so it goes on, or if you've reached your target amount then the surplus gets moved in to the 3rd purse.

The idea basically is, you buy stuff you use when it's on offer at the supermarket, thus giving them less of your money. But when you buy it back from yourself you charge yourself the full price which fundamentally keeps the extra money in your own home rather than giving it to the supermarket. And eventually with the extra money saved and making it's way in to the 3rd purse you get to buy something nice with the money that would otherwise have gone to Mr T or one of his friends!

People normally keep a spreadsheet (I think there's one on this thread somewhere to show you what it looks like) to keep track of what stock they have, how much they paid for it and how much they will charge themselves when they buy it back.

I hope that helps although it's probably as clear as mud....
    • skilly
    • By skilly 30th Nov 12, 5:50 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    Morning all , welcome all new newbies Just nipping in to add 5.00 to my purse there is more to add just got to sit still long enough to Count up .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,277Posts Today

9,073Users online

Martin's Twitter