Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 29th Sep 12, 6:55 PM
    • 2,317Posts
    • 27,342Thanks
    Coxy11
    Second Purse Challenge Thread #2
    • 29th Sep 12, 6:55 PM
    Second Purse Challenge Thread #2 29th Sep 12 at 6:55 PM
    Hi there,

This is a continuation of the thread that Kerri_dfw started at the beginning of 2012.

Please take some time to read how Mothership's second purse system works, and feel free to ask any questions you may have. We love to help

For those following the original thread if okay with you, shall we keep a track of our totals in our own signatures? I will list the original members in the next thread. Please let me know if you wish to be removed - thanks
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
Page 2
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 5th Oct 12, 3:43 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    rosyq - I agree with you about the DR mince - it's lovely. I was out when the delivery came but it's so well-packaged it didn't matter. Sausages and beef meatballs now in the freezer and another one of those polystyrene boxes to find a use for

Coxy
  • scrabbles
    I do really like DR mince but simply can't stretch to it at the moment - Co$tco is much cheaper (& on offer at the mo) and still pretty good

Anyway checked in to tell you guys about this from another thread:

Hope it helps someone!
    • kerri_dfw
    • By kerri_dfw 7th Oct 12, 1:39 PM
    • 4,556 Posts
    • 29,115 Thanks
    kerri_dfw
    Thanks Coxy for creating this thread. I have indeed been busy, busy, busy with real-life and work. I'm currently onsite at a customer for a 14hr shift that started at 6am so I've been up since 5am!!!

I need to start putting money aside for 2nd purse again, moving in with my OH has totally thrown me off with it. Also, does anyone want any couscous? I can't seem to give the stuff away we have too much of it! I don't think AF is quite for us afterall, but it was fun trying.

2nd purse update: this week we have been stocking up on crunchy nut, we now have 4 boxes of 750g on top of the cupboards and OH is asking why I keep picking it up to which I respond "because it's half price!!! and you keep eating my cereal!" haha

Hope you're all well, come payday I will put aside some pennies again to retry my 2nd purse.

Kerri x
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: 399,435.91 377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: 900010000
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 7th Oct 12, 7:30 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hey everyone,

Nice to hear from you Kerri - your work sounds

I too have fallen out of love with AF. Thanks for the offer of cous cous but we have loads and it's only me that eats it I also have a glut of flapjacks which I can't seem to make a dent in
    • ej22
    • By ej22 8th Oct 12, 5:35 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    ej22
    Hi everyone,
    can I just ask how and when do you pay your second purse?
    I have made a list from week 1 and basically have to pay my second purse 8 pounds. Do I pay this out of my weekly food budget?
    Thanks
    OD 0/1500
    CC 0/1300

November 2015 challenge 56.83/200pounds
    emergency savings 0/1000
    Losing weight 0/40kg
    • marrbett
    • By marrbett 9th Oct 12, 1:46 PM
    • 1,785 Posts
    • 24,449 Thanks
    marrbett
    Just popping in to say that DR is now at 10% cashback for the next 5 days on quidco!

I fell by the wayside with my second purse, but will start again.
    xx
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 9th Oct 12, 3:33 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,
    can I just ask how and when do you pay your second purse?
    I have made a list from week 1 and basically have to pay my second purse 8 pounds. Do I pay this out of my weekly food budget?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by ej22
    Hi ej22,

I pay my purse weekly and take the money from my monthly grocery budget. I know Mothership does hers monthly tho. I guess it's whatever suits you.

Thanks marrbett for the quidco tipoff on DR. Typical that my 2nd order in two weeks is coming on Friday - dare I place another one for next week - decisions, decisions......
    • HelenPie
    • By HelenPie 10th Oct 12, 11:34 AM
    • 502 Posts
    • 5,205 Thanks
    HelenPie
    Thanks for the shiny new thread, Coxy!

I still haven't sorted out Helen's Hideaway since before the wedding in June

I have a week off soon so hope to get back to it after that, though DH is off too and so may prove a distraction from all the chores that need doing (nearly put a winky face but then realised that might imply I meant something funny by that statement . I didn't - just that he can be like a small child when it comes to his need to be kept occupied!!)

Anyway, hope you're all keeping up the good work x
    Debt Free By Xmas 2013 #010 16,660.26/16,660.26 100% paid, DFD 25/06/13!
    • mossy
    • By mossy 10th Oct 12, 7:18 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    mossy
    Thanks for the new thread Coxy.

I have been a bit poorly so haven't been able to keep up with my GC this month. I have however just managed to update my spreadsheet for Mossys Market and get my second purse sorted. Bought some dishwasher tabs while they were on offer but have plenty of money to snap up some other bargains once I get back in to my regular shopping pattern. We lived off ready meals and quick nips in to the shops while I had tonsillitis etc....very expensive!! Although the doc prescribed antibiotics and ice cream so that was kind of nice!!

Put my first order in with DR today and was pleased to catch the quidco 10%. Have ordered steak mince and some meatballs, first order so there was no delivery charge. I hope they live up to the hype!! Have friends round for tea this weekend and next so was going to make some big cottage pies with my fancy tasty mince lol!!

Right, promised DH I'd help her tidy her bedroom as she has a friend coming over tomorrow.

Keep up the good work peeps!
    Last edited by mossy; 10-10-2012 at 8:29 PM.
    Saving for Disney again ...to big a target to face up to yet!
    Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - 10/1000 1%
    #083 SPC6 63 - SPC7 90 - SPC8 63 - SPC9 54 - SPC10 26 - SPC12
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Oct 12, 3:57 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

Just settled up with my 2nd purse. Over the last 8 days we have used 75 of stock It just so happened that this week we needed to open a new 3kg of dog food, new pack of 84 dishwash tablets and a new 5L of washing liquid. All this in addition to the packed lunch bits and bobs I use on a daily basis.

Have transferred another 21 odd to 3rd purse, 2nd purse now at maximum limit of 50. My second DR order arrived today 8 x mince and 4 x beef shin for casseroles nomnomnom.

Hope you're all doing well and have a great weekend

Off to update my totals.
    Coxy
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 16th Oct 12, 1:10 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Cooo-eeee only me!

Went to Co$tco today and got some SP bits - pep$i max, luco$ade, eat natura! bars, gum, fruit f!akes - wiped out 2nd purse again, but will settle up again at the end of the week.

Hope you are all doing well with your stockpiling!
    Coxy
  • deep in
    I would like to join please shop to be called The wardrobe of Narnia named by dd lol been a bit slack on things lately and hoping a new challenge might get me into gear I need a cooker which is 220 as I have been cooking on a little caravan style cooker for far too long now.

So far I have in my stock pile:

4 small and mighty liquids
    4 ironing waters
    4 demestos bleach
    11 flump sweets
    2 utterly butterly
    2 cheese dippers

I got all these cheap from Mr T tonight.
    Last edited by deep in; 16-10-2012 at 9:09 PM.
    water 82.00 Totally Paid June 2012, vanquis 290.00 Totally Paid July 2012, e.on 300.00 189.00 Paid Sep 2012, Scott and co. 989 918 Paid Oct 2012, s/p 400.00 295 Dec 2012, o/d 2,000.00 Dec 2012, rent 1,600.00 Jan 2013, mum 1,500.00 1,400.00 Feb 2013
    Second purse #64 2.30/220
    • mossy
    • By mossy 17th Oct 12, 2:46 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    mossy
    Welcome Deep in Good luck with The Wardrobe to Narnia!! We call our spare room 'the land of spare oom'! Not sure why I mentioned that, just a Narnia thing I guess lol.

Have a 2nd purse with cash to spend but no bargains doh!! Must nip in to the evil empire and pick up some of their small and mighty while it's on offer!!

Placed my second DR order yesterday (via quidco of course!!) Only put my first order in last week but the mince was so nice that couldn't resist the offer and couldn't afford it at full price!! Having friends over for dinner on Sunday and looking forward to serving up a yummy cottage pie. I thought the steak mince taste was nice but the texture really made it was so nice to eat!!
  • Victoria2322
    Hello! I would love to join! I think I have the hang of it!
    My first Purse is 200 (budget of 50 a week)
    My second purse will be 40 for stock for the month

I would like my third purse to be for next Christmas/birthdays next year!

Is this right? Thank You
    • HelenPie
    • By HelenPie 19th Oct 12, 10:03 AM
    • 502 Posts
    • 5,205 Thanks
    HelenPie
    Welcome Victoria.
    All a bit quiet on here at the moment but you're welcome to join in and just ask if you have any questions.

H x
    Debt Free By Xmas 2013 #010 16,660.26/16,660.26 100% paid, DFD 25/06/13!
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 20th Oct 12, 2:10 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to deep in and Victoria2322 - I will add you to the list at the front of the thread

I just paid my 2nd purse back for items used this week - mainly packed lunch items, although I pay 4 per DR meat item used, and this week we used pork sausages, venison burgers, and steak mince - so an expensive week at my shop

Got some dog food at S's this morning on offer at 7/bag instead of 12, so I got 2

Totals now updated.
    Coxy
    • mossy
    • By mossy 22nd Oct 12, 6:57 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    mossy
    Picked up some small and might from the evil empire which I'm pleased about. Should keep me going for a while! Updating my new totals.

p.s What do people do with their DR boxes? We had friends round for dinner on Sunday and our table fits 6 people (along two benches) so I sat on the boxes at one end of the table lol!!
    Last edited by mossy; 22-10-2012 at 7:09 PM.
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 22nd Oct 12, 8:51 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 27,342 Thanks
    Coxy11
    p.s What do people do with their DR boxes? We had friends round for dinner on Sunday and our table fits 6 people (along two benches) so I sat on the boxes at one end of the table lol!!
    Originally posted by mossy
    mossy that's hilarious! We currently have 5 in the garage. DH is a scout leader, so two of them are used as storage and when he goes on camp (like this past weekend) they are used to carry the cold stuff (with a coolie block) until they get to the site.

The other three came in handy this weekend when I catered for an event at church. The church only has a small under counter fridge, so they were indispensable to keep things cool until they were needed.

I think Mothership used to make planters out of hers. Maybe we should start another thread of "interesting ways to use DR polystyrene boxes"
  • archived user
    mossy that's hilarious! We currently have 5 in the garage. DH is a scout leader, so two of them are used as storage and when he goes on camp (like this past weekend) they are used to carry the cold stuff (with a coolie block) until they get to the site.

The other three came in handy this weekend when I catered for an event at church. The church only has a small under counter fridge, so they were indispensable to keep things cool until they were needed.

I think Mothership used to make planters out of hers. Maybe we should start another thread of "interesting ways to use DR polystyrene boxes"
    Originally posted by Coxy11
    Please do, I threw 2 away today I tried the planter idea but the slugs loved them so they're now really strong from eating all my spinach I've just thought, I wonder if freecycle would work?
    Rx
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 27th Oct 12, 3:07 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Often pop over to read this thread and to see if there are any offers that someone has posted about.

Flour and some baking items are 3 4 2 in Te$co at the moment, havent seen it mentioned so hope it helps someone.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,645Posts Today

4,708Users online

Martin's Twitter