Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    victory
    Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge
    • 4th Jan 12, 12:15 PM
    Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge 4th Jan 12 at 12:15 PM
    I came up with my own challenge to only buy food that is on whoopsy/yellow sticker, reduced to clear, or half price or BOGO1 etc and already failed

Went to Morries and got loads of sausages/chicken/korma/curries on yellow sticker and their 50p veg pots/carrots etc so that was going o.k until I needed shreddies and cheerios (always buy them when they are 1 or half price but had run out of the stash) all full price so very begrudgingly put the shreddies in for 2.75 and the cheerios were the same price so that was going to be 5.50 just on cereal, made son put it back so back to 2.75 for one pack of shreddies, had already bought the 1 milk from iceland , the half price 60p white bread from morries, so was doing ok really.

It ended up very long looking all the time and hard work

I am off to Asda in a bit to buy their 50p toms in tin and 50p pot noodles in bulk as the noodles have gone up a lot and 50p for a standby quick snack seems very reasonable.

Anyone else just live off yellow stickers and reductions? Care to join the challenge and give hints and tips along the way?
    [QUOTE=misspiggy;51404641]I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory
Page 3
  • victory
    I know we couldn't live on yellow sticker food alone but I do give it a damn good try!! Not only do I like the frugalness of reductions, I get a satisfaction that food won't be wasted whilst there are yellow sticker hunters around. I'm looking into getting a chest freezer for the garage - perhaps on ebay.

OP I'm glad I'm not the only one who nearly had heart failure at the price of cereal in Morrisons! I refuse to pay those prices, thankfully we have an aldi in walking distance and my family are happy with those. If can't get meat at a reduced price I go to aldi for that too.
    Originally posted by flippin36
    No I just could not bring myself to spend 5.50 on 2 boxes of cereal especially when I know if I wait they will be 1 a box and that is when I get loads of them, they taste the same but cheaper
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 6th Jan 12, 2:53 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    I buy ready meals when they are whoopsies, as I live on my own, otherwise it's bulk buy creals when 1 a box. My daughter rang me from Sainsbugs yesterday and said that they have Typhoo T-bags 24o's for 2.49 instead of 5.99, so she bought me two packs, they keep for months.
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• gailey
    • By gailey 6th Jan 12, 5:22 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    I think its fab idea have tried to do itmyself last 2years and failed to do as well as I would like due to following reasons

1)timing although each chain suppost to have set reductions policy and markdown timetable it really does seem to be staff dependant. I have been in tesco and morrisions late evening and theres either nothing reduced or measly markdowns.

2)much more competative these days some days almost hostile as everyones after a bargain.

3)finding the time to do them all sometimes right place right time.
    last boxing day went to late as they did meat markdowns at 12 and i went in at 3.
    but also been in to early for final cut so it really is luck you cant rely on it all time.

Our largest supermarket nearby is sainsburys but the reductions are rubbish like 20-50p off so rar;y get a bargain in sainsburys.

Our local morrisions equally seems as stingy maybe its regional
    iceland stopped reducing
    lidls dont really reduce as such they have markdown offers.
    marks occasionally has odd bargain but usually a readymeal.

The best ones here is the large co-op as they often get too much in as they big store, low turnover and really do fab markdowns but they pricey so only buy offers or stickered never fullprice unless desperate!

As my 6year old says if its not reduced or on offer mummys not buying it! teaching her well.
    I also have a routine that works for me in store that sometimes means circling 3times.

as i go in through door if they have a lot of reduced bakery or produce they pop on trolly at front of store thats rare unless its bank hols or sunday.

Then there specific spot/crate in produce on end of section but mostly thinsg cant be frozen like stir frys, dmaged fruit.

Top tip to get most out of produce reduced as its usually section they knock quite a bit off is

with fruit past its best

bruised bananas-make bananan cake /bread or smoothies!
    bruised berries-again smoothies or berries freeze welkl in freezer bag but do go mushy so only really suitable for smoothies or baking.
    Blueberries often reduced-could make up batch of blueberry muffins and freeze them individually in freezer bags and they dont take long to defrost ideal for lunchtime treat.
    blackberries/apples-can make crumbles to eat then or again crumbles freeze well in the foil trays with cardboard lids.
    If lot of apples and have other ingrediants huge batch of chutrney its so easy to do and cheap.
    makes good pressies too.
    Or for the brave you coukd make jam.

The prepacked veg mix-usually very cheap blanche which just means boil for few mins, cool then drain and place in airtight freezer bags.

salad stuff judge by look of it but its usally ok for few days after its date.

Then I go straight to end for meat and fish reduced.
    but I aslo check out main meat section as sometimes stickered items amongst them , same with cooked meats and readymeals.

Then i hit bakery if its a little its bottom shelf on end with reduced cakes too.
    if a lot its on torlly by deli.

Top tips bigger supermarkets is hit fresh bakery counter as they have best reductions especially end of night as its a daily line.

Things I look out for is

muffins-cut in half add tomato/puree make instant mini pizzas
    crumpets again kids love and ideal brekkie when on school run
    i tend to split pack and freeze in pairs
    Scotch pancakes always reduced kids like with honey and fruitas a dessert.
    if see naan bread always buy a few for freeze as we probably have currys twice a month.
    pitta breads-often reduced as are wraps useful change for luncbox.
    french bready/crusty bread does not really freze well but use on the day and make french bread pizza or 1/2days later when slightly stale to make bread and butter pudding.

if bread reduced and good reduction we stock up as know it will get used.
    garlic bread i bulk up on recnetly got fresh triple packs for 35p each so brought 5packs.

The best section is chilled which admit is hot and miss quite a few fancy desserts, hams and readymeals but broight a few at 30p and 65p as useful standbys for freezer only because they were cheap.
    remember you can freeze milk.
    you can also freeze cheese.
    ham says not to as think already prefrozen but i make cheese and ham quiches or pasties then freeze.
    bacons fine to freeze.

last but not least the grocery bric brac section with discontinued and battered packaging occasion odd surprise got battered weetabix last time 36 for 1.30 for damaged box as tried cheapy weetabisks and dident like the value ones are rank!

once i been roubd once i go to beggining to check

I not missed anything
    further markdowns not been made.
    I do watch the reduced ladies and which direction they go in so sometimes by time i come back they marked down more generally they dont appeciate hovering people.

Im always polite chatty and freindly. occasionally i ask if its that days date and measly reduction if its going down anymore and they oblige.

I try share the love and inform other customers with some looking at me like im crazy! Not sure if I annoy cashier as takes longer as some dont scan sometimes they seem amazed at final total themselves one told me well done other day.not quite exteme couponing but its ok.

My other haunts an odd one my ludicrously expensive small local spar its near school often pop in they have small chilled section yesterday got 12pack white rolls 30p brought 2packs as thats 2weeks packed lunches sorted. Alsp philadelphia 80p pack dated end of feb as off plan so reduced to clear .There was quite a bit choc lindt bears might be ok for xmas or could met some down for rice krispie cakes add mini eggs easter sorted. eggs one cracked so got 11 for 78p.

ocassionally corner shop sells out date beer and pop .
    beer and wine can be used in cooking.

I do have chest freezer.
    i do sticktake what we have reguarly
    i meal plan around what we have not mealplan they write shopping list that way I incorperate reductions into way I know they will be used

examples- brought reduced wraps
    have faitta packet mix
    so now on eye out for diced chicken/turkey managed to find some last week
    comebined with rice meal.

Nearly always buy mince reduced as ones i like are 2 for 5 as like lean mince.
    I prefer freedom/free range poultry always get that reduced.

stirfry -only get when reduced.

other night hubby brought 4packs cocktail suasages for 25p a pack and i froze so tonight reduced rolls cut in half make perfect mini hotdogs.

Might do sausage casserole pack 2.

brought cooked meat tiika and bbq/sweet chilli normally quite pricey 3 a pack was 75p a pack and brought defroisted nite before add reduced lettuce and on offer wrap-perfect lunch.

reduced allows me to treat family other day pack donuts 50p qand family trifle 38p cant usally get single yogurt for that price combined with on offer icecream.

Hubbsy really got into it last 18months as its only way we can have what we like and not feel deprived.

we have tried shopping around and do

lidls twice a month at least
    farmfoods once a month- multi buys, frozen veg, milks good deal. we get vouchers for 5 off 50quid shop or 10 off 100 its fab value.
    If im in town get cereal or crisps for 1.

we shop the promo ends on all areas checking we not missed anything

biscuits either on offer or value
    crips on offer, own brand or value
    coffee-stock up when on offer.
    we try and buy butter and cheese when on offer.

deals go in cycles so every other month baby bels and philadelphia usually on offer

we grow some veg and fruit in garden.
    we forage the hedgerows for freebies
    we buy lot of value lines but notice big increases recently so reduced becoming more important.

The petrol stations with mini supermarkets often have really good reductions as its daft ranges and low footfall good reductions tesco express better than big store.

Our local paper has fliers with whats on offer
    you could also look at my supermarket.

I genrally know in big co-op if somethings on offer too much will come in and will end up reduced if its on offer-used to work for them so know they useless.

If somethings really expensive and i have my eye on it i note date it goes out date and stalk it! did that with tiramsu last year.

anyway waffled enough trick is shop around, cook as much from scratch, meal plan, bulk buy and hope you get some good bargains but its labour intensive on time and I have 3 young kids.

I do invest in good freezer bags
    notebooks
    labels
    good frezer bags to ensure can wrap and protect my haul.

right waffled enough. good luck
    pad by xmas2010 14,636.65/20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 15008.02/15,000

new grocery challenge 200/250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
  • victory
    Thank you. Very much excellent post thank you
    • gailey
    • By gailey 6th Jan 12, 8:04 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    Thanks victory.

Forgot to add

be creative with meals and reductions think outside the box,
    thinking putting coctail sausages in yorkie puds with gravy mini toad in hole.

If you have kids-they love mad meals/combos.
    reduced veg cooked and pureed for baby

When you buy think

can I freeze this?
    if not what can I do with it?
    I always have rough idea when buying what will do with it

its either packed lunches
    evening meals

by meal planning around what you have and whoopsies theres money saving.

My freind does reverse gets recipies and goes out with list paying mostly full price for everything.

Due to reductions I make sainsburys feed your family for fiver look expensive!

But remeber to make reductions work keep a good storecupboard full of staples

herbs/spices
    cooking oil
    salt/pepper
    passata
    tinned tomatoes
    tinned tuna
    tinned veg
    naan
    poppodoms
    eggs
    rice
    pasta-
    noodles-oriental
    soy sauce
    plain flour -biscuits/pastry
    bread mix-bread/pizza dough
    self raising flour-cakes
    cocoa powder-cakes
    oats-brekkie/biscuits, flapjacks-bulks out meals
    red lentils-bulks out meals/mince
    coffee
    sugar

packet mixes own brand or swartz/colmnasn 3 for 2 are very handy as can transform reduced meat into meals

In the freezer oven chips always handy if no reduced poatoes
    frozen veg good stanby too
    icecream to go with reduced fruit/desserts and crumbles

The idea is if you have well prepared backup options if theres no reduced that week you not screwed.

But if there is reduced you have enough staples to go with it and transform into tasty meal.

Just relying on reduced will be hard so do

shop the offers too.

for me its reduced
    offers
    value.

Also look around see what you can forage im city and have blackberries, plums and cherries.

Start small it does get easier. once you get into habits and observe times where people reduce near you it gets easier.

• Missconduct
    Don't start and get a life?
    Originally posted by Heisenberg
    Have you considered that you are on the wrong website?

OP, no, not a chance for us to do that, but we are trying to get more and more reduced stuff and are looking for ways to do it - might even just try doing the weekly shop at 8pm in case there are more bargains!
  • victory
    Have you considered that you are on the wrong website?

OP, no, not a chance for us to do that, but we are trying to get more and more reduced stuff and are looking for ways to do it - might even just try doing the weekly shop at 8pm in case there are more bargains!
    Originally posted by Missconduct
    It is about the money on this site or rather the lack of it to go out and pay full price for everything and as I have said before it tastes just the same bought on a yellow sticker than it does wasting money and paying full price for it, for the full price it stops me saving or spending money elsehwere where it is more useful

gailey has got it so right and has made me feel less of a failure because I had to cave in and buy full price cereals, thought I had let me down but no the fantastic posts gailey has put up is excellent advice and should serve us all

I know I am certainly going to be cannier thanks to them thank you

I have always hated waste of any kind, the bin should be for the wrappers the food came in not the food itself, I Always think I paid for that I am going to use it, otherwise would you just chuck into the road because food wasage you may as well and I have no to chuck away, they have to function each one ofthem not be throwm out
  • threemuttleys
    Do Tesco not offer you the yellow stickers reductions then?
    Originally posted by victory
    Yes...but I am on a supermarket ban..therefore cannot buy them! (tho the temptation will be strong!0
    • gailey
    • By gailey 7th Jan 12, 10:58 AM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    It is about the money on this site or rather the lack of it to go out and pay full price for everything and as I have said before it tastes just the same bought on a yellow sticker than it does wasting money and paying full price for it, for the full price it stops me saving or spending money elsehwere where it is more useful

gailey has got it so right and has made me feel less of a failure because I had to cave in and buy full price cereals, thought I had let me down but no the fantastic posts gailey has put up is excellent advice and should serve us all

I know I am certainly going to be cannier thanks to them thank you

I have always hated waste of any kind, the bin should be for the wrappers the food came in not the food itself, I Always think I paid for that I am going to use it, otherwise would you just chuck into the road because food wasage you may as well and I have no to chuck away, they have to function each one ofthem not be throwm out
    VICTORY-dont beat yourself up.

bargain hunting should be fun!
    I love finding something unusual in reduced section and working out a use for it im giving food a good home and minimising supermarket waste,
    My eldest loves the spot the sticker game.

In buying something its only good value if you like it.
    I tried 2different brands of value weetabisks was like cardboard so now i buy original when on offer or other day dented packaging.

I do shop at lidls but dont think cereals are best value.
    best places for cereals are poundshops as oft5en get branded boxes for kids for 1.

I would use sainsburys onw brand rice krispies or cornflakes in cakes and kids cant tell difference.
    My fave cereal is special k red berries yes tried cheaper versions and not as nice m&s maybe being next best. anyway only buy when on offer usually 2.

I know theres has been a few money off coupons on cereals useed when that cereals on offer makes it a bargain as saw on fb extreme couponing group. Think it was cherios for 1 a box in tesco.

if you have the time go in every supermarket near you and cherry pick the best offers not just the reductions.

with the reductions with full store cupboard they can complement the food you have.

Lidls do weekend deals hopefully going later
    aldi have supersix -change every week.

dont overlook

food markets
    even posh delis-end of day
    local green grocer/butcher,.
    Theres a really cheap fruit and veg man at carboot in summer
    ethinic chinese/indian supermarkets
    smaller chains ;like mcolls /garages

I think in current climate reductions by themselves will be hard
    so incoperate offer items
    when you buy an item try and ensure its not cheaper elsewhere but take into account cost travelling if far away.
    If its esential and you need it now then buy fullprice.

Last night I had reduced turkey breasts defrosted

but I had no rice as run out
    no potatoes
    no pasta apart from spagetti

yes we need to do big shop.

Although I like to make a lot from scratch currys and passatta
    fijd it handy if see jars on offer to have one or 2 on cupboard for im so tired nights and few packet mixes.

what did i do

diced the turkey and fried in pan
    added frozen leeks and peppers-0very cheap from farmfoods
    added chicken stock with 2cubes of chicken oxo-2 for 2 at farmfoods so got veg, chicken and beef.
    added value mixed herbs 18 at asda/sainsburys
    added salt and pepper
    spoonful plain flour
    sainsburys basic wine I use for cooking its screw top and lasts a few weeks in fridge transforms any dish makes about 4meals works ok in pasta sauces too, rissottos ect.
    But with red meat and pasta sauces love red wine.

anyway served with reduced garlic bread baguettes.

total cost of meal less than 2.50 and served 2 so guess 1.25 each.

Try and have a list whjen shopping to ensure you buy what you need
    know what you have before shopping too.
    that way if you see a reduced that goes with what you have then you have an instant meal.

Im inspired might pop in spar and co-op today too as lidls will just be offers,

wish the big 4woukdent raise their value lines so steeply as cant downshift lower than value and its not as good value interms of size and quality lidls tinned tomatos nicer than supermarket value.

with the downshiufting to own brands or value try things once if dont like it dont buy it again.

I never buy cheap fatty mince always fresh and lean.

if you like quornb than thats useful freezewr standby if no reduced meat.

i very rarly buy

full price mince
    chicken
    get red meats beef and bacon/sausages from butchers
    sausages nearly always reduced so buy in bulk lots sausage casserole.
    dont realy buy fullprice bread always reduced or offer.

non foods buy on offer and in bulk im waiting for next big baby event.
    remeber with baby theres always boots and adavatntage card points much more genrous than nectar or clubcards.

always collect the loyalty points

right best go tidy cant belive 12pm already.

• schtee
    • By schtee 8th Jan 12, 12:09 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    schtee
    I read on one of the posts that at Sainsbury's most reductions are only around 50p off. This is true for the first reduction, but the later reductions are almost certainly half price or less. I know this is common knowledge, and most people who shop for reduced items will by now know what time your local stores reduce items to clear, but I guess it may be news to some.
  • clipperty
    I read on one of the posts that at Sainsbury's most reductions are only around 50p off. This is true for the first reduction, but the later reductions are almost certainly half price or less. I know this is common knowledge, and most people who shop for reduced items will by now know what time your local stores reduce items to clear, but I guess it may be news to some.
    Originally posted by schtee
    This can be true but got very lucky tonight. Went there about half an hour before closing and got lamb chops 3.34 to 84p, fresh burgers 2.99 to 64p, stuffed pork joint 6.64 to 1.49 and two lots of best steak one 8 to 1.99 the other 7.50 to 1.64 well chuffed now all tucked up in the freezer. They were only just been reduced and I made DH acost the woman before she got them all off the shelves!!!!
    LBM - 3/12/11
    Save 2012 in 2012 - 3,001.60/2012
    365 in 365 days 528.
    2 savers club 2012 266.
    SPC 2012 # 1529
    50p jar - 81.00
    • missladyannie
    • By missladyannie 8th Jan 12, 7:02 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 1,617 Thanks
    missladyannie
    I try my best to only buy things when they are on special offer or reduced, the only exception to this is usually bread and milk as they don't really have offers on them. I'm doing quite well with it!

Yesterday I went to M&S with my sister in law (I NEVER buy food in M&S normally, im a Tesco girl), but I got all reduced items: Ready to roast lamb joint, ready to roast BBQ pork joint, 3 for 10 meats, veg etc, before reductions it was 32 I think, they my SIL had a 5 off 25 spend, then 20% staff discount and the yellow reduction stickers it came to 18.73! my freezer and fridge are well stocked up!
    Nov NSD: 8/7 Dec NSD: 1/10
    Sealed pot member #1443 2011: 106. 2012: 171
    Ninjakat challenge: Aim to clear two debts by April 2013
    100 day challenge: No toiletries or magazines 19/100 (3 x fails )
    Extra payment a week challenge: Total to date: 2355.53
    • Clowance
    • By Clowance 8th Jan 12, 7:15 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    Clowance
    [QUOTE=missladyannie;49990397, the only exception to this is usually bread and milk as they don't really have offers on them. /QUOTE]

Milk I agree with but bread will be reduced at the end of the day, in my tesco which is 24 hours its about 9pm when it goes down to 10p or less. I think times vary but try a late visit one day, if seen I stock the freezer with a weeks worth. HTH
    Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
  • victory
    I try my best to only buy things when they are on special offer or reduced, the only exception to this is usually bread and milk as they don't really have offers on them. I'm doing quite well with it!
    Originally posted by missladyannie
    Our Morries always has milk/yogs/fromage frais/cream/dairy products/activia reduced to silly prices by the end ofthe day and the breadi s always reduced to loaf's for anything from 10p up so I always wait and pop some in the freezer, yesterdays was a bit expensive at the price of 35p but hey bought it anyway
  • victory
    giley what would you have done with the morries yellow stickers yesterday? Loads of packets of goats cheese, lots of pots of onken yogs some tofu and some sort of fruitcake that looked as if it was in a drum? Left it all as do not eat any of it and could not combine it to anything but did think of how to
    • gailey
    • By gailey 8th Jan 12, 1:31 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    giley what would you have done with the morries yellow stickers yesterday? Loads of packets of goats cheese, lots of pots of onken yogs some tofu and some sort of fruitcake that looked as if it was in a drum? Left it all as do not eat any of it and could not combine it to anything but did think of how to

Hi victory

Goats cheese a good one.personally would either have

added to sandwich/salad as weekday lunch mon/or tue
    or maybe made some pastry or bgrought some readymade puff pastry and done a sort of goats cheese and tomato puff slice.
    Or if you have a sandwich toaster got nice roll and made a pannini with serving of posh crisps to side. Goats cheese very popular in trency sandwich shops like pret/costa.

Yogurts tricky one would use yougurts within 48hours of use by date.
    maybe find a recipie that dessert that needs yogurt and that can be frozen? if you have kids or people in house who taked packed lunches poundstetcher do the mini pots with kids as use for baby 6 for 1.
    Divide the yogurt into small pots and put in packed lunches?
    my kids like yogurts for brekkie baby has least 2pots a day.
    they also would have yogurts as a healthy snack or dessert.

To make it a special dessert add chopped fresh fruit with it, maybe mashed up digestive biscuit for crumbs to give it some crunch,total decadance crumbles choc flake almost like a homemade fruit corner.

You could add to fruit and make a smoothie?
    or find a recipie on how to freeze yogurt ot transform it into homemade icecream as in sw they say you can make low cal icecream from mullerlights so must be able to be done!

Im assuming the onken is the usual big tubs 500ml or 1litre tubs?
    would probably get through 2 in 48hours used in ways mentioned above.

Fruitcake is it xmas one? does it contain alchol?
    im sure it be ok within week or 2 of date.
    again divide up for packed lunch daily.
    Now im no expert would have to go oldstylke that but im sure theres probably a recipie that uses fruitcake or way to make it last longer.

Im bit hopeless with cakes but hope to get better this year im fine with savoury just baking perplexes me I blame my crap oven.

when you read about people making xmas cake.

its basically a fruitcake and they feed the cake booze over months up to xmas asume this preserves the cake and stops it getting dry then they ice it maybe that would work with shop brought fruitcake?
    be ideal if you had event planned like party.

I have 3kids and will be doing 3parties
    plus family visit at easter.

I would struggle with fruitcake though as only hubby would eat it possibly toddler she would eat anything.

but maybe in nice tin with someone who has a birthday soon.
    some people take shop brought cakes to school cake sale happens once a month.

I might be completly mad but think you can freeze cake? maybe freeze and wrap in slices and defrost as and when needed.

Tofu-unsure if this can be frozen raw but worked into a cooked meal and then frozen could work. tufu basically a meat substitute like quron so guess could do like for like dishes like tofu curry.tofu burgers.

But if you cant make it work for you or you dont really like it

DONT BUY IT! as it would go to waste then you feel bad.

Yesterday got few bargains from local spar again.

12pack kingsmill white rolls-50p brought 2
    kingsmill muffins 4pk 48p

2packs richmond sausages 66p=brought 2
    sliced chicken 33p a pack-brought 2

2packs butter 1 on offer.
    end of line xmas choc half price=treat for the kids.

not most exiting haul I grant you spent 13 on few bits sure something I forgot?

anyway

the muffins last night cut in half toasted and then put tomato puree, grated cheese and cherry tomatos on top in micro-could be done in grill and girls had mini pizzas worked out at 12p per head.

then last 2sliced toasted with butter for morning snack.

24rolls-another 2weeks worth packed lunches now have 36rolls in freezer.

chicken we had yestreday for tea and today for lunch
    1more pack left will be used in packed lunches tommorow as it went out sat end of monday my cut off on using it.

1pack sausages in freezer-will make sausage casserole tonight for tea
    1pack in freezer for next weeks sausage casserole.

if you have big freezer reduced sausages and burgers start looking now and freeze they be ok in freezer up to 6months. same with bread rolls.
    as typicxal bristish weather heatwaves come without warning and shops sell out so bbq meats and rolls always handy in summer months.
    even in summer months can get bargain in fresh bbq meat section on a rainy day!

I also went to lids bkept to my essentials we need list.
    brought 72pack weetabix as on offer think 3 49 last 2-3weeks when you see the deals sometimes best to buy in bulk so sadly dident as was bit skint until payday fri so just brought what was needed.

yesterday had good day as made some choc fairy cakes with on offer butter and other stuff I had.

Also friday we had a roast of reduced free range chicken
    i kept the carcass covered in fridge
    boiled it up yesterday with inion, salt and pepper, value herbs
    then dranbined picked out some chicken
    topped up with chicken oxo more hebs salt and pepper also added whole unchopped chilli to add some heat and simmered.
    made a chicken and potato soup more of a broth fab with reduced rolls.

I can make a chicken last 3meals that way

Today i had reduced fish for lunch.

I would say least one thing we eatr every day is reduced.
    did basic storecupboard shop in lidls which allows me some more meal options with reduced stuff in freezer.

brought oven chips frozen-goes with reduced fish in freezer
    brought dried pasta-great goes with reduced mince and reduced garlic bread in freezer.

need to stocktake again

meal plan this week
    all out reduced ham so might have to do tinned tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches this week.

need to do shopping list for next week going to try morrisions but cant go late at night as kiddies in bed whats it like sat afternoon/early evening?

will check co-op spar for reductions
    do another lidls shop and farmfoods as have money off vouchers
    look at aldi super six as hubby works next door to them.

sometimes being inventive and letting whats reduced decide your meals can be fun and avoids getting stuck in a rut.

remember watching programme last year on chef who recycled wasted food into gourmet meals.

bit like cave man times they eat what they hunted and could catch.
    I sort of have that hunter /gather instinct in supermarlet these days as foods rising even value so shoping around/reduced only way to ensure we get everything we need, allows family little treats and us highre quality welfare meat and poultry.

if you checkout grocery challange at top theres recipes for everything.
    so on mse search or even google search goats cheese and lots recipies would come up.
    Last edited by gailey; 08-01-2012 at 1:33 PM.

• Looter
    • By Looter 8th Jan 12, 4:09 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Looter
    We should enjoy these yellow stickers whilst we can, I've heard about people peeling these off loaves reduced to 26p and sticking them on legs of lamb and buying them at the self serve checkout! I also saw someone buying one of those salads from the salad bar at the self checkout, they had a mountain of food in the container and the lid wouldn't even close!
    • Looter
    • By Looter 8th Jan 12, 4:12 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Looter
    Just to clarify I meant we should enjoy the stickers whilst we can before they stop them because of these fraudsters!
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 8th Jan 12, 4:18 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 52,590 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Don't they have a member of staff at the self serve checkouts to look for such things?
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 8th Jan 12, 4:55 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    nuttywoman
    All the meat in my freezer is knocked down price, been doing this for a while as well .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

1,248Users online

Martin's Twitter