Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    victory
    Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge
    • 4th Jan 12, 12:15 PM
    Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge 4th Jan 12 at 12:15 PM
    I came up with my own challenge to only buy food that is on whoopsy/yellow sticker, reduced to clear, or half price or BOGO1 etc and already failed

Went to Morries and got loads of sausages/chicken/korma/curries on yellow sticker and their 50p veg pots/carrots etc so that was going o.k until I needed shreddies and cheerios (always buy them when they are 1 or half price but had run out of the stash) all full price so very begrudgingly put the shreddies in for 2.75 and the cheerios were the same price so that was going to be 5.50 just on cereal, made son put it back so back to 2.75 for one pack of shreddies, had already bought the 1 milk from iceland , the half price 60p white bread from morries, so was doing ok really.

It ended up very long looking all the time and hard work

I am off to Asda in a bit to buy their 50p toms in tin and 50p pot noodles in bulk as the noodles have gone up a lot and 50p for a standby quick snack seems very reasonable.

Anyone else just live off yellow stickers and reductions? Care to join the challenge and give hints and tips along the way?
    [QUOTE=misspiggy;51404641]I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory
Page 2
  • kittywight
    . I tend to go twice a week to Mr T and at present have 46 meat potions in my freezer, all under 30p each. From rump steak, mince, casserole steak, chicken, lamb shanks/chops/mince/diced, pizzas, party food to salmon ( i was actually paid to take 8 packs away last week as they were down to 60p each but when buying 4 you got 4 off as a multi-buy, so 40p off my shopping for each one i bought.)
    Originally posted by olliesmummy06

that is just awesome go you!

this sounds like a great challenge ... doubt i would do it as a only option, but im defenitly intrested in going to the reduced sections more often.. im going to hit up morrisons this sunday, hdquite a few bargains there last week.

can i just ask, are you only buyin the whoopsies/yellow reduced sticker items ... or are you buying bogof's and half prices deals??

xx
  • lizzywig
    I can never get the yellow stickers in the supermarkets, they don't seem to have them. They have a reduced section which is hit or miss and is normally full of ready meals and a few ods and ends. I think they reduce down again towards the end of the day but I can never get there around that time. I did go on a Saturday evening once not that long ago and picked up loads of chicken drumsticks, 4 steaks and 4 burgers for 64p! It excited me so much that I can't stop telling people, I think I need to get a life!! Seriously though I think it's fantastic that there are people out there who 1) make sure that no food goes to waste and 2) will not allow themselves to be ripped off by the conglomerates and will spend their money on things that really matter.
    • flippin36
    • By flippin36 5th Jan 12, 11:16 AM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 6,391 Thanks
    flippin36
    lizzywig have you tried Sunday afternoon an hour before closing?
    • Junier
    • By Junier 5th Jan 12, 11:22 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    Junier

I am off to Asda in a bit to buy their 50p toms in tin and 50p pot noodles in bulk as the noodles have gone up a lot and 50p for a standby quick snack seems very reasonable.
    Originally posted by victory
    Why buy toms at 50p when u can get a cheaper brand and save even more, after all toms are toms!
    • jemb
    • By jemb 5th Jan 12, 11:40 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    jemb
    Aldi's version of cherios are better than the originals!
    Married the lovely Mr P 28th April 2012. Little P born 29th Jan 2014
  • threemuttleys
    Hmmm...Id love to...but I am on a self imposed Supermarket ban for the year (anything I cant find cheap enough, I either have to learn to deal without or learn to make (shocker!)
    • pinksk8
    • By pinksk8 5th Jan 12, 3:12 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    pinksk8
    Hmmm...Id love to...but I am on a self imposed Supermarket ban for the year (anything I cant find cheap enough, I either have to learn to deal without or learn to make (shocker!)
    Originally posted by threemuttleys
    Love This!

I make huge pots of stew/pasta sauce when i can get stuff cheap or if its going off then i freeze, all my self grown veg picked in oct in currently in the freezer already cooked. I honestly believe its almost as quick to heat up a pre made sauce and a handful of pasta as it is to make an expensive ready meal.
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 5th Jan 12, 3:28 PM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 3,626 Thanks
    Ben84
    I'm not sure this would work for me, nor am I convinced the reduced items are always the best value for money option anyway. Depends on the item and how much you like it.

I always buy long lasting items like toothpaste and coffee on offer, so I do already save a lot of money with BOGOF each year. I also when I go to the supermarket stop by the reduced counters and see what I find. Bread I usually buy reduced and sometimes other things. It's also well worth stopping by the market at the end of the day to pick up any remaining fruit and vegetables at very low prices, huge bags of bananas for 1 and things.

So, I use both BOGOF and reduced a fair bit without spending too much time or effort, just by stocking up on long lasting stuff when I see a good offer, making sure to check the reduced counters when I'm there and if I'm near somewhere at a time of day I know they discount things I usually take a look. It's worth doing, but having to buy only reduced and stuff on offer would cost me too much time I think.
  • olliesmummy06

this sounds like a great challenge ... doubt i would do it as a only option, but im defenitly intrested in going to the reduced sections more often.. im going to hit up morrisons this sunday, hdquite a few bargains there last week.

can i just ask, are you only buyin the whoopsies/yellow reduced sticker items ... or are you buying bogof's and half prices deals??

xx
    Originally posted by kittywight
    All the items in the freezer at the moment are yellow sticker/whoopsies. If there is something on half price/bogof that we will use i will stock up on it.
  • threemuttleys
    Love This!

I make huge pots of stew/pasta sauce when i can get stuff cheap or if its going off then i freeze, all my self grown veg picked in oct in currently in the freezer already cooked. I honestly believe its almost as quick to heat up a pre made sauce and a handful of pasta as it is to make an expensive ready meal.
    Originally posted by pinksk8
    thanks...I figure that most of the "offers" in most of the supermarkets are not really offers, they just inflate the prices a bit before hand. I already buy my meat and fish from independent fishmonger and butcher, I have been watching Rosspa and Approved foods for my tins/jars etc, I just need to locate a good green grocer ( we have one in the next towns...but most of their items are ropey at best)

I am starting the veg patch this year, have got a few fruit trees on the go, and I will be having Chooks in the spring. I just need to fine tune my bread making.

Will be very refreshing...only slight issue...I work at Tesco!
    • pinksk8
    • By pinksk8 6th Jan 12, 9:55 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    pinksk8
    Great, i have an allotment, i think its definitely the way to go! It also tastes a million times better than s/market fruit and veg. x
  • threemuttleys
    Great, i have an allotment, i think its definitely the way to go! It also tastes a million times better than s/market fruit and veg. x
    Originally posted by pinksk8
    I did have a veg box delivery...stopped it because of the price...but it tasted divine. The carrots, when you peeled them leaked juice on you, and even the spuds tasted so much better...just wasnt enough of them LOL
  • Middy
    There are several things I have never seen with yellow stickers on at work:
    . Onions/Shallots
    . Bacon
    . Cheeses like Dairylea, Laughing Cow, Mini Babybels, Cheesestrings, Philly
  • victory

xx
    Originally posted by kittywight
    Originally in my NY resolution it was just going to be yellow stickers as I have noticed recently our local morries has some fab ones around lunchtime (maybe over ordered because they never used to) so I went again today and got masses again, still have the mentality of 'oh, should I have this many, never really bought in bulk before to such a degree so did today and went and got the others that were left there, it was just me as she was marking them down, so no fights or fuss today

So, back to the original question yes to begin with but no not now the BOGOF's and half price will also have to be included, as is the 50p carrots, pots, apples, etc that Morries do sometimes if not Aldi for their 39p/69p veg and some fruit, so long as iti s not full price then it is bought, full price, no deal
  • victory
    Why buy toms at 50p when u can get a cheaper brand and save even more, after all toms are toms!
    Originally posted by Junier
    True I do that often as well as DS likes tomato soup so I buy the 19p value soup and he has no complaints, does not like the Aldi cheerios though, says they taste like cardboard I bought a load of toms in tins even the cherry toms ones which were priced at 1.13 for 50p so that is an impressive stash for the future and their 50p soups and their 50p pot noodles, tried other pots but kids don't like those and seen as they are half the price bought loads, could have saved as you say buying cheaper tins of toms and cheaper tins of soup maybe but not cheaper than 50p for the pot noodles
  • victory
    That sounds interesting, I make all my cakes, cookies, brownies, biscuits, that type of things and chilli con carne,lasagna with the basic value pasta, spag bog etc and freeze

I have done a lot of thati f it is not in the sale then I go without, wait until it is, simples
  • victory
    All the items in the freezer at the moment are yellow sticker/whoopsies. If there is something on half price/bogof that we will use i will stock up on it.
    Originally posted by olliesmummy06
    I bought loads from morries today happened to be in there at the right time and struck lucky for 43 it has filled one of my freezers entirely with meats, sausages, pasta dishes, for what they cost to begin with I have saved a fortune
  • victory

It's worth doing, but having to buy only reduced and stuff on offer would cost me too much time I think.
    Originally posted by Ben84
    I agree somewhat with what you say, the yellow stickers that I bought today would I have normally bought them? Well no but for 2 reasons 1) they were too expensive to begi nwith and 2) I would not necessarily have gone in to buy them because of 1) so in the end the yellow stickers entice you to buy them, Morries here I don't know if it is nationwide but they do 2 reductions one is silly like 50p or 75p off hardly worth looking at and the second is more much more so I always wait for the second one and it would be impossible to get it cheaper albar they actually give it to you as you walk out of the door so then I pounce and bulk up the freezer, it is never wasted, always used and costs a considerable amount cheaper
  • victory

Will be very refreshing...only slight issue...I work at Tesco!
    Do Tesco not offer you the yellow stickers reductions then?
  • victory
    There are several things I have never seen with yellow stickers on at work:
    . Onions/Shallots
    . Bacon
    . Cheeses like Dairylea, Laughing Cow, Mini Babybels, Cheesestrings, Philly
    Originally posted by Middy
    There were loads of bacon today for 99p and Gammon steaks 99p
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,521Posts Today

8,346Users online

Martin's Twitter