Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Apr 11, 7:40 PM
    • 13,808Posts
    • 15,843Thanks
    squeaky
    Quick questions on Consumer Rights
    • 8th Apr 11, 7:40 PM
    Quick questions on Consumer Rights 8th Apr 11 at 7:40 PM
    Hi,

If you have a query that you think will only need a quick yes or no answer then feel free to ask it here.

Otherwise you are very welcome to start a new thread.

Whatever you decide... good luck
    Last edited by squeaky; 20-04-2011 at 8:49 AM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
Page 3
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 25th May 11, 1:19 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Is there a way that I can 'thank you' both so that it shows under your usernames? (Sorry not too proficient with this forum thing)
    Originally posted by CICC
    Click on the button on the post you want to thank.
  • ashaf1976
    On Saturday I bought a 'full suspension' mountain bike from argos (299.99). It arrived on tuesday and i've put it together, but i noticed that the front suspension didn't seem to have any play in it. i've just looked on their website to see if there were any instructions on how to adjust it, but there are none. The only 'suspension' the front seems to have is the air in the tyres! I also saw that they have reduced it by 100!. I paid by card. Is there anything I can do about this?
    • derrick
    • By derrick 27th May 11, 11:00 AM
    • 7,161 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    derrick
    On Saturday I bought a 'full suspension' mountain bike from argos (299.99). It arrived on tuesday and i've put it together, but i noticed that the front suspension didn't seem to have any play in it. i've just looked on their website to see if there were any instructions on how to adjust it, but there are none. The only 'suspension' the front seems to have is the air in the tyres! I also saw that they have reduced it by 100!. I paid by card. Is there anything I can do about this?
    Originally posted by ashaf1976

Did you order and pay for it online and have it delivered to your home?
    If so you can return it under DSR and then reorder at the reduced price.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• ashaf1976
    Did you order and pay for it online and have it delivered to your home?
    If so you can return it under DSR and then reorder at the reduced price.

Originally posted by derrick
    I bought it from their shop, but it was a 'delivery only' item.

I have just got off the phone to their aftersales line, they offered me a replacement, but i declined and requested a refund instead - i don't know if this is a problem with the model of the bike or just this one, and also considering the same bike is 100 less now than what it was a couple of days ago. They won't accept it back at the shop unless a dimantle it first, so they are collecting on tuesday (fingers crossed), and once it is scanned into their warehouse it (plus the del charge) will be refunded to my card... leaving me free to check out other bikes that have also now been reduced. Thanks.
  • slamsdale
    Extra Goods Receive
    Hi All, my son ordered a mobile phone from Ebay which initially didn't arrive we chased it and then two arrived within a few days of each other - this was about 2 months ago. Since then we have been chasing the Ebay seller for him to arrange courier collection or send us a prepaid label to return it to him. He keeps saying yes he will but then he does nothing. I don't see why we should pay about 8 postage to return this item to him. Does anybody know what our rights are in this situation please?
    • gazzebo69
    • By gazzebo69 4th Jun 11, 10:58 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    gazzebo69
    consumer Rights - Quick Question
    Folks.

I bought a hoover from Currys the other day, the salesperson said to me "I have to point out to you, that if you return this hoover because it is faulty then we are not obliged to refund you or provide a replacement, it will be sent to the manufacterer for repair and you will have to wait until it is returned".

As I`m usually rushing around like a headless chicken, I didn`t think nothing of this. Only later that day, I thought, hold on a minute. If I get this hoover back now and its faulty, then they have to give me a new product, or a full refund. Surely, even if its like only a month old and its breaks down etc etc.

Just wondered if anyone, had any thoughts on this. Am sure their policy on returning a faulty hoover is wrong in this case.

Btw, the hoover works fine so far.

Regards
    Gazza.
  • nsg24
    One month over the 12 month warranty - anything I can do?
    Anybody got any ideas?
    I bought a stereo amplifier from RICHER SOUNDS 18 months ago. I only got around to wiring it up 13 months ago and it has just stopped working! I have tried replacing fuses etc.
    I contacted RICHER SOUNDS who say I would have to 'pay for an engineer to look at it as its 12 month guarantee has expired.'
    Is this right that a product should only last 13 months and my only choice is to purchase a new one as a repair could cost just as much?!
  • louby01
    Warranty Issue...
    Hi everyone,
    Hope someone can help - I purchased a portable dvd player from a high profile electrical company online in march 2010. its very rarely used. The played did not hold its charge. Spoke to company and returned to them. They promptly returned it back stating nothing wrong with it. I rang them again and they replaced item without question. I never tried to use the USB on the item until recently when I discoved that the USB was not recognised. Tried many other pen drives of brands and sizes- and all the same error message along with overheating USBs. Spoke to company again last week and they said to return the item. Did so and have just recieved item back with an unsigned comp slip stating not in warranty? Does the warranty go from the date of original purchase (March 2010) or the date of replaced item (Jan 2011) Many thanks
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Jun 11, 7:26 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hi

From the date of original purchase.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• nsg24
    Anybody got any ideas?
    I bought a stereo amplifier from RICHER SOUNDS 18 months ago. I only got around to wiring it up 13 months ago and it has just stopped working! I have tried replacing fuses etc.
    I contacted RICHER SOUNDS who say I would have to 'pay for an engineer to look at it as its 12 month guarantee has expired.'
    Is this right that a product should only last 13 months and my only choice is to purchase a new one as a repair could cost just as much?!
    Originally posted by nsg24
    EXCELLENT RESULT!! :
    RICHER SOUNDS have given me a full credit note including the delivery charge I paid!
    Contacted customer service and asked for - an investigation into the fault and a repair or a full refund as I did not think this was a reasonable amount of time for the product to last.
    (got this info after googling and finding an article from The Guardian about a reasonable length of time for a product to last after the warranty has ended, up to six years. The article suggests steps to take.)
    They emailed me back within 2 hours and couldn't have been nicer, saying they too didn't think it was a reasonable length of time. The warranty ran out six months ago so. Took it back to my local shop where they too couldn't have been nicer! Full refund and refunded delivery charge which I put towards a replacement amp. They also said I could take it back if it didn't have enough power for my speakers!
    Massive thanks to RICHER SOUNDS for being downright decent and a pleasure to do business with.
  • peksy86
    Quick question about parcels.
    I hope this is the right place to post this

I had a subscription with a magazine but I had the direct debit cancelled. The company was made aware of this and there was no contract.

Payment was not taken for the next issue but I was still sent the next instalment. I haven't been asked for payment at all whether by letter or payment slip.

Am I allowed to keep it or do I have to send it back???

I remember watching Martin on TV saying if you received a diamond necklace addressed to you and payment was not requested than you could keep it??

Thanks very much
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Jun 11, 4:53 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    There's a difference between unsolicited gifts and items sent in error.

I'm sure you'll be able to work it out

• pinkfunkyflares
    Hello, I ordered kitchen cabinets from Argos. The Genova range which are still being sold online. I rang up and ordered them over the phone and was assured they were in stock and would be delivered in 5 days. i then had a call telling me they wwould be delivered on the3 1st of June. The moneywas taken fully from my account, not just earmarked. Today i got a phone call saying that the items were no longer available and my moneywould be refunded within 5 working days. I read their terms and conditions which say a contract is formed when the item is delivered. This was not a glitch, or a price mistake, and we checked to make sure the items were in stock. They are still selling some of them now.
    Can someone please enlighten me on this
  • glesgaboi32
    my rights
    hi there my father who is a pensioner bought a new plasma from currys just over three weeks ago and the picture has stopped working although there is sound. he called the shop immediatley and they set a time for an engineer to come to the house, he never turned up. the second date set they were over four hours late, they wiggled a few wires and took the tv away stating that it will be 10 to 15 days before they hear anything, can he ask for a replacement during this time and also he is so scunnered he just wants a refund is this feasible?
  • SoNoble
    Kwik Fit Exhaust Warranty Replacement
    Should the new exhaust that was fitted under warranty qualify for a new warranty or does it simply transfer on from the old time frame.
    Kwik Fit say the latter.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 20th Jun 11, 8:13 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Hello, I ordered kitchen cabinets from Argos. The Genova range which are still being sold online. I rang up and ordered them over the phone and was assured they were in stock and would be delivered in 5 days. i then had a call telling me they wwould be delivered on the3 1st of June. The moneywas taken fully from my account, not just earmarked. Today i got a phone call saying that the items were no longer available and my moneywould be refunded within 5 working days. I read their terms and conditions which say a contract is formed when the item is delivered. This was not a glitch, or a price mistake, and we checked to make sure the items were in stock. They are still selling some of them now.
    Can someone please enlighten me on this
    Originally posted by pinkfunkyflares
    You have answered your own question.

They say "a contract is formed when the item is delivered".

For whatever reason, they have decided not to sell the things to you.
    As the contract has not yet been formed, they can cancel the order and return your money.

Have they refunded the money?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 20th Jun 11, 8:14 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Should the new exhaust that was fitted under warranty qualify for a new warranty or does it simply transfer on from the old time frame.
    Kwik Fit say the latter.
    Originally posted by SoNoble
    Kwik Fit are right.
  • codders321
    just wondering if anyone has any advice. i got a 50" samsung plasma tv from tribal uk in Nov 2009. at the time i had no HD equipment but a year later i got some and found that the hdmi sockets werent working i get a picture but it has a green haze over everything. ive tried different dvds, games consoles and they are all the same. i contacted samsung and they gave me a few things it could be. changed the leads and borrowed other dvd's. still the same. they said update the tv on line. that didnt work. then they said contact the dealer that they sent me the address for and they would repair it. i called them and they wanted me to pay upto 100 just for them to pick it up and look at it. i called samsung saying i wasnt happy with that and they said they would escalate it as a complaint and get back to me withing 24 hours. when i returned to the site to check on the progress i stopped getting replies from them and emails they had replied to me saying it had been escalated had gone from the site. its been another 4 months and still no replies???? i also contacted trible and they said if i got it repaired they my offer money towards the repair. any ideas if there is anything i can do. cheers for any help
  • Grenrose
    Hi,
    I've ordered and recived my computer and monitor from Dell which are in good working order. However before receving the goods i realised that i had ordered the wrong monitor. I wanted to exchange the monitor for a different one and i would pay the extra plus any handling costs. However they are adamant they won't, or explain why.
    Do i have a case?
    • derrick
    • By derrick 29th Jun 11, 12:02 PM
    • 7,161 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    derrick
    Hi,
    I've ordered and recived my computer and monitor from Dell which are in good working order. However before receving the goods i realised that i had ordered the wrong monitor. I wanted to exchange the monitor for a different one and i would pay the extra plus any handling costs. However they are adamant they won't, or explain why.
    Do i have a case?
    Originally posted by Grenrose
    Could only be if the monitor was bespoke?

You can cancel under DSR without reason if you notify them within 7 working days beginning the day after receipt of goods, you may be liable for return costs if they informed you prior to delivery.

Have you informed them you want to return under DRS within 7 working days, if yes then they have to allow, unless as I said it is bespoke, which I doubt.

Sorry, misread, you changed your mind before delivery, they have to exchange.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,476Posts Today

8,217Users online

Martin's Twitter