Quick questions on Consumer Rights

squeaky
squeaky Posts: 14,129
First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 20 April 2011 at 8:49AM in Consumer rights
Hi,

If you have a query that you think will only need a quick yes or no answer then feel free to ask it here.

Otherwise you are very welcome to start a new thread.

Whatever you decide... good luck :)
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50

Comments

• Hi, I bought an ipod charger from a seller on Play.com in January who described it as an original Apple ipod charger. When it arrived and I plugged it into my pod, it not only started smoking but it also blew my ipod. I contacted the company and they refunded the money for the charger, but I want them to refund the cost of the ipod as it was brand new at Xmas and their charger destroyed it. Despite writing them letters asking for the cost of the ipod, they are completely ignoring me. I've now written again advising I will take this to the Small Claims Court, but again, no reply. Would I have a leg to stand on if I took this further because I have been refunded for the goods I bought, but I want to claim for the damage the goods have caused.
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Hi, I bought an ipod charger from a seller on Play.com in January who described it as an original Apple ipod charger. When it arrived and I plugged it into my pod, it not only started smoking but it also blew my ipod. I contacted the company and they refunded the money for the charger, but I want them to refund the cost of the ipod as it was brand new at Xmas and their charger destroyed it. Despite writing them letters asking for the cost of the ipod, they are completely ignoring me. I've now written again advising I will take this to the Small Claims Court, but again, no reply. Would I have a leg to stand on if I took this further because I have been refunded for the goods I bought, but I want to claim for the damage the goods have caused.

In theory - yes
    In reality - probably not
  • Hi, I bought an ipod charger from a seller on Play.com in January who described it as an original Apple ipod charger. When it arrived and I plugged it into my pod, it not only started smoking but it also blew my ipod. I contacted the company and they refunded the money for the charger, but I want them to refund the cost of the ipod as it was brand new at Xmas and their charger destroyed it. Despite writing them letters asking for the cost of the ipod, they are completely ignoring me. I've now written again advising I will take this to the Small Claims Court, but again, no reply. Would I have a leg to stand on if I took this further because I have been refunded for the goods I bought, but I want to claim for the damage the goods have caused.

To be honest I would contact Apple directly - a hell of a lot less hassle. They will probably just replace the device out right.
    If my post helped you in anyway, please hit the "Thanks" button! Please note any advice I give is followed at your own risk!
  • omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Dont see the point in having a Stciky for a simple yes no answer. A lot of the advice given in this forum half the time is incorrect so your going to have several answers to a question

Also with consumer rights there is no yes and no answer no matter how trivial the question. This thread is going to end up a mess and take posts from the forum itself which is indexed by google and other search engines. It is easier for titled posts and explicit threads to make its way onto google searches than a long drawn out thread.

Whos idea was this? If something is not broke then no need to fix it???
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    I see nothing wrong with a sticky. Other boards have them - don't see them as negative at all.
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    zppp wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with a sticky. Other boards have them - don't see them as negative at all.
    Immaterial if other boards have them. you obviously dont understand what I mean then
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    omen666 wrote: »
    you obviously dont understand what I mean then

I do understand what you mean, but that it your personal opinion.;)
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• Hi,

I recently bought a bed from bensons for beds in store, and then found a better bed at a cheaper price else where. I went in to the store to cancel the order but was told cancellations where not allowed, this was not pointed out to me at point of sale.

so I was wondering if I had any rights to cancel or if I just have to like it and lump it?
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's purely down to the discretion of the store as the bed is not faulty. it's a change of mind. They are under no obligation to refund, nor to tell you at the point of sale.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • Oh that's not what I wanted to hear. I just ordered a bed from there and after seeing the thread here about the kind of bed it is and reviews elsewhere, have changed my mind. It cost over £2000. I've not paid anything, I signed up for interest free credit and the bed is on order, to be delivered on 10 May. I was going to go back today to cancel it. If I'm signed up for a credit agreement, don't I have a cooling off period? Also, the sales woman knew I'd just been diagnosed with cancer, so probably shouldn't have put me through for the credit in the first place.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback