Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 9th Apr 10, 11:55 AM
    • 1,239Posts
    • 3,571Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    The Great 'Shrinking Food' Hunt
    • 9th Apr 10, 11:55 AM
    The Great 'Shrinking Food' Hunt 9th Apr 10 at 11:55 AM
    No, you’re not dreaming! Your groceries are shrinking. Manufacturers’ latest wheeze’s to drop products’ sizes, but keep prices the same. So we’d love to get your feedback on any food you've seen shrinking.

Please press reply to share your experiences.

Are you sure it shrunk?

Its easy to think things used to be bigger (i remember when Wagon Wheels were twice the size of my hands!) so please try and back it up with the stats and measures if you can.

P.S. Thanks to the Daily Mail journalist who suggested this thread. It was so popular we decided to reformat it and include in the weekly email.

Do remember this is a public forum & these are individuals' opinions. MSE hasn't checked out this info, so we can't vouch for whether each post is correct or not. Please try and be as accurate as you can if you do post.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Martin; 13-04-2010 at 6:12 PM.
Page 3
    • keet83
    • By keet83 14th Apr 10, 7:31 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    keet83
    im sure that most of the main supermarkets have reduced its minced beef from 500g to 400g and kept the same price or even some have risen
    Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can!
    That used to be the case
  • gram333
    Adsa cold meats!!! The packets I used to buy(oak smoked ham) were 150g but they changed them to 140g a month or so ago!
  • Dizzley
    Whiskas new cat food pouches are 85gms instead of the former 100gm size - same price or dearer depending on offers available.
    Originally posted by Moliere
    This is really bad - if you feed your cat a set number of pouches a day. Poor old puss is suddenly going to be underfed, or you end up opening another pouch that won't get fully eaten.
  • Carol K
    Yorkie bars
    Yorkie bars are down in size too
  • iammarcgrumpy
    I wrote about Oxos and never got a reply. Check new ones and they have ridges down the sides keeping original size but giving us less.
    And they are the new improved oxo cube! huh
  • eleanorwish
    I have noticed alot of down sizing buy the supermarket suppliers. Having three children we now have to buy more are fork out more for the bigger packets/jars etc so then we have some left over and therefore more waste. I think the only things that haven't shrunk that much are baby wipes and the amount of nappies in a packet. Washing powder and fabric softner are really bad. xx
  • jodie1978
    HIPP Formula
    3 years ago, when i moved my 6 month old daughter onto formula, we chose HIPP Organic - a 900g box cost 5.80-5.95.
    Just before christmas last year, it was time to move my second daughter onto the same formula. I wasn't particularly surprised to find it had gone up to 6.25 for a 900g box. 3 and a half years and 30p, not bad thought i.

But since christmas HIPP have rebranded their formula range. Now an 800g box of formula is 6.99!!! Less for more, wow, what value (said with much sarcasm) Luckily for us, baby is drinking less formula each day and only has a couple more months before moving onto cows milk.
  • mrmatt39
    shrinking kitchen roll
    I have noticed Plenty kitchen roll can vary in price but when you look closely it has less sheets in it and the quality seems poor too
  • waterbaby59
    Robinsons squash has shrunk!
    Went to Asda yesterday - after many visits when we noted that all Robinsons Squash varieties were taking less and less space on the shelves, we saw why! The bottles have changed shape and dropped from 1 litre to 850 mls. Price was 1.29, which is pretty standard. Shame on you Robinsons.
  • dgarrod
    I bought some multi packs of Walkers Crisps and the bags are definitely smaller - don't buy them that often so not too sure by how much but they are probably half the packet size and at least 5/10g lighter.
    Originally posted by Policefan
    Walkers French Fries multipack now have 2 packs missing (used to be 12 packs now 10) & still same price!!!! How are they allowed to get away with this?!
    • Lumbworth
    • By Lumbworth 14th Apr 10, 8:38 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Lumbworth
    Boxes of Stella used to be 20 bottles. Then dropped to 18 then bought some the other day when I was in a rush and was gutted to see they were dropped to 15. Other lagers have dropped the number of bottles as well including Carlsberg Export.
    • stephanieann
    • By stephanieann 14th Apr 10, 8:44 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    stephanieann
    Coppella has definitely shrunk from 1ltr down to .75 ltr and virtually same price. AND - they actually make a big deal of it on the packaging: "New 0.75 litre size". They've lost me as a loyal customer.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 14th Apr 10, 8:49 AM
    • 3,858 Posts
    • 2,519 Thanks
    glider3560
    Morrisons pork mice seem to have shrunk too. You used to get 500g for about 1.80. You now get 250g for 1.05. So you now have to buy two packs at a cost of 2.10 instead of 1.80.

• Jayboy
    Schloer down from 1 litre to 750mls but same price. Don Simon bottled juices (in the chiller cabinet) down from 1 litre to 750mls again same price. Alternative Don Simon litre cartons of squeezed juice in drinks aisle at Asda. 2 for 1.50.
  • AdamLondon
    Sometimes I find the smaller products suit us better, since there are only two of us, but this must be a nightmare for larger households.

The worst products are the ones that make a fuss about a new (smaller) size, as if you are getting a better deal and yet the price remains the same or increases. I agree with stephanieann, my fridge used to be well stocked with Coppella juices, but since the change I've stopped buying them all together.

I understand that things are getting more expensive, both to produce and to transport to the store, but I don't like being taken for a fool.
    • Tiger_greeneyes
    • By Tiger_greeneyes 14th Apr 10, 9:15 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    Tiger_greeneyes
    I've noticed that some brands of medium sliced bread is cut thinner, the loaves seem an inch or two shorter than they used to be, and thin sliced loaves have disappeared. That way it looks like there are just as many slices as there used to be. Sometimes I go to take a slice out of the bag and it rips at the slightest touch. Am I imagining this or has anyone else noticed?
    Wedding date 31 October 2008 - MSE style of course
    Mis-sold endowment mortgage - compensation - 1,523.97
    26.01.09 - I'm finally mortgage & debt free
    2009 wins: box of L'Oreal goodies: Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish: USB wireless modem: iPod Shuffle
    • DaleN
    • By DaleN 14th Apr 10, 9:19 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    DaleN
    Nothing new, this has been happening for years. Make the products smaller and smaller in the same packaging and at the same price, introduce a family pack ("now 50% larger!") at a higher price, and then eventually phase out the smallest size and update the packaging on the "family pack" so it becomes the "normal" one again.

When it comes to junk food I'm rather pleased they do this as it means I slowly get weaned off my cravings, and the price jump to the "family pack" stops me from buying, so my diet gradually improves with age

Onken yogurt pots. I'm sure they used to be 500ml; they're 450ml now.
  • Heleyon
    Rocks squash: the prices had come down from 2.30 to a slightly less over-priced 1.75....However, they've now shrunk the bottles to 750ml, and the price has stayed the same. Apart from a boycott, which is too inconvenient for most people, how can we gang up on the supermarkets?
    • Ohnonotagain
    • By Ohnonotagain 14th Apr 10, 9:24 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Ohnonotagain
    Sanitary pads - used to come in packs of 16 or 32. Now the packs contain 15 or 30. That's a 6.25% increase in price.

Does anybody take this info into account when making up the retail price index?
  • Tararabumdeeyay
    Bernard Matthews is another culprit for the (ever-growing) list - Their Turkey ham used to be in packs of 200g/400g, now they're 175g/350g for the same price or more, depending on where U shop. Tesco's currently have them priced at 1/2 respectively which isn't too bad, but U really do notice the downsizing when making kids' lunches .
    I now slice the slices(!) into squares (scrunch up a few slices at a time & cut them into strips, then again into wee squares!) and find they go further - and it tastes gr8 sprinkled into home-made carbonara or scrambled eggs too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,615Posts Today

7,728Users online

Martin's Twitter