Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 9th Apr 10, 11:55 AM
    • 1,239Posts
    • 3,571Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    The Great 'Shrinking Food' Hunt
    • 9th Apr 10, 11:55 AM
    The Great 'Shrinking Food' Hunt 9th Apr 10 at 11:55 AM
    No, you’re not dreaming! Your groceries are shrinking. Manufacturers’ latest wheeze’s to drop products’ sizes, but keep prices the same. So we’d love to get your feedback on any food you've seen shrinking.

Please press reply to share your experiences.

Are you sure it shrunk?

Its easy to think things used to be bigger (i remember when Wagon Wheels were twice the size of my hands!) so please try and back it up with the stats and measures if you can.

P.S. Thanks to the Daily Mail journalist who suggested this thread. It was so popular we decided to reformat it and include in the weekly email.

Do remember this is a public forum & these are individuals' opinions. MSE hasn't checked out this info, so we can't vouch for whether each post is correct or not. Please try and be as accurate as you can if you do post.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Martin; 13-04-2010 at 6:12 PM.
Page 2
    • WishI'dReadSooner
    • By WishI'dReadSooner 10th Apr 10, 7:12 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 18,606 Thanks
    WishI'dReadSooner
    Colmans Sauce Tartare 250ml used to be pretty liquid & a jar lasted a while.
    The last couple of times we bought it's now like a mousse. Same volume BUT it's got to have less than half the amount of actual sauce than it used to have & we use double or triple the amount we used to before.

Looks exactly the same but this is shrinkage at its' worst as they are using volume instead of weight.

What next? Whipped cream already whipped at the same price?
    • Finefoot
    • By Finefoot 11th Apr 10, 9:47 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    Finefoot
    Well, I am pleased to know I wasn't dreaming!
    I thought a lot of what I usually buy is not lasting as long, and started to look at the sizes. As I do bulk cooking, I really notice it! Annoying! I have to recalculate all the shopping now, not to mention the budget.
    Loving the sunny days!
    • jezza2412
    • By jezza2412 11th Apr 10, 11:38 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    jezza2412
    Tropicana smoothies: from 1 litre down to 750ml

Don Simon chilled juices: from 1 litre down to 750ml

Princes meat pastes: from 100g down to 75g
    • thor
    • By thor 12th Apr 10, 2:24 AM
    • 5,299 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    thor
    Strawberry punnets large sized used to universally 454g 3 years ago but then all the supermarkets decided it was in our best interests to shrink them to 400g at the same time(while also being nearly permanently on sale at 'half price' higher than their 454g price).
    Maybe they are looking after our health, after all at least we won't be getting as fat eating less strawberries.
    • RHYSDAD
    • By RHYSDAD 12th Apr 10, 7:28 AM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    RHYSDAD
    Have you seen multi-pack crisps?

'Half the saturated fat' say many packs...

Yeah, that's right because there's only half the bloody crisps in there!
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 13th Apr 10, 9:25 PM
    • 10,562 Posts
    • 38,466 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Tesco value washing powder has shrunk - far less inthe packet now compared to 14 months ago (shame I've recycled my old lists!)
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • frmarcus
    • By frmarcus 13th Apr 10, 9:51 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    frmarcus
    Don Simon fresh fruit juices (ASDA)
    The above were 1 litre bottles until some months' agom when they reduced to 750ml; price remianed the same! I stopped buying them.
  • julie6650
    Less Crisps
    I work in a Supermarket so see changes. The latest one is packs of Wotsits, Quavers, Monster Munch, French fries - there were 12 packets in a bag, now reduced to 10 but for exactly the same price!

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 20-04-2010 at 9:14 PM.
    • Arwen
    • By Arwen 13th Apr 10, 10:40 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Arwen
    Creme Eggs have definitely shrunk.I can get a whole egg in my mouth without disgusting my hubby
  • irrelevant
    I buy the "bulk" or family packs of Bacon ... it used to be, couple of years ago, you got 1.2Kg from ASDA and 1Kg from Sainsburys for about a fiver. They are now both down to 800g, and prices are approaching 6...
  • SueO
    I used to buy Sainsburys Basics canned sweetcorn as a treat for my chooks until they downsized the cans from 326g to 198g - no reduction in price though. So now 29p for 198g - I will stick to buying frozen Tesco Value sweetcorn now - 87p for 907g.
    My chooks need their treats in return for those lovely eggs.........
    • MrChips
    • By MrChips 13th Apr 10, 11:27 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    MrChips
    I think it has already been mentioned but fruit juice seems to have been "resized". I generally buy either Tropicana or Copella juice depending on what is on offer that particular week. Generally one would be around 1.30p per litre.

Tropicana cartons have changed from 1.75 litres to 1.5 litres and Copella have phased out 1 litre bottles in favour of 0.75 litre or 1.25 litre ones. Now I struggle to find anything much less than 1.60 a litre!
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • Moliere
    Whiskas new cat food pouches are 85gms instead of the former 100gm size - same price or dearer depending on offers available.
    • oldtrout
    • By oldtrout 13th Apr 10, 11:53 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    oldtrout
    Oxo cubes
    Oxo cubes are not solid cube shaped now. They are 'X' shaped. Same sized individual wrapper but the cube has its sides cut out. Crafty!
    • EABowden
    • By EABowden 14th Apr 10, 6:15 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    EABowden
    Coca-cola "share size" bottles shrank from 1.5litre to 1.25litre recently. Very crafty as the bottle looks identical. It was only when it ran out really quickly I checked the lable
  • thsths
    On things like single serving treats, it's probably no bad thing.
    Originally posted by laurel7172
    Yes, it may be healthier. But as far as I can tell nearly all ready made meals are getting smaller, so it could leave you hungry if you like the bigger potions.

Of the basic items, Tropicana orange juice is the worst. 1.75l has become 1.5l "Value Size" at the same price, and the new 2l "Family Size" is ridiculously expensive. (Didn't they used to sell 2l as the big size for a reasonable price a few years ago?)

Beer bottles are getting smaller, or at least the number of sizes has increased: 275ml, 300ml, 330ml, 500ml, 568ml, 750ml, and probably some more just for good measure.

And non food items are just as bad: many tissues are sold 9 in a pack now, diaper packs are a few diapers smaller than last year (doesn't matter if it is economy, mega, jumbo, or whatever pack), and some of the cheap printing paper is getting thinner (70g/m^2 instead of 80).

There are still bargains out there, but it is very difficult indeed to spot them in between all the fake "sale" signs.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 20-04-2010 at 9:15 PM.
    • loobylou2
    • By loobylou2 14th Apr 10, 6:28 AM
    • 793 Posts
    • 1,390 Thanks
    loobylou2
    Biscuits like Breakaway and Blue Riband have shrunk!!! They used to be in packs of 9 and are now in packs of 6 but at the same price or in some places even more expensive!!! Also some of the supermarkets have half price offers on when they've never charged the full RRP for the item anyway. You really do have to shop around to get the best deal these days.
  • measham mark
    wash powder
    i brought wilkinsons smart price washing powder 80p for 1kg said it did 10 washes i got more than 10 out of the box being a moneryavingexpert but to my horror the box had shrunk by 200g to 800g and still charged the same 80p and still said can do 10 washes hence i don,t buy it now i get morrisons own bettabuy 1.69 for 3kg how can they get away with this con??????
    • Policefan
    • By Policefan 14th Apr 10, 6:36 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Policefan
    Shrinking Food
    I bought some multi packs of Walkers Crisps and the bags are definitely smaller - don't buy them that often so not too sure by how much but they are probably half the packet size and at least 5/10g lighter.
  • ceridwen
    Think the large tubs of yogurt must be shrinking.

I bought a large tub in Marks & Spencer (live organic Greek yogurt in fact) and found that it seemed smaller than the Yeo Valley one I was still using up at home. The M & S one is 454 grams - and the Yeo Valley one is 500 grams as usual.

Will be checking Yeo Valley next time I go to buy one - to see if they have come down in size as well

It was annoying - as a large tub was enough for the recipe I was doing - errr.....well it would have been if it HAD been the large tub size I was expecting (so the recipe went a bit short on ingredients because of it).

EDIT: Just checked - most brands are at it. Sainsburys website indicates that Yeo Valley yogurts might be 500gr, might be 450 grams (depends what flavour they are) - ie they are in the process now of reducing the size flavour by flavour. Most of the other brands of yogurt have already come down to 450grams.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 20-04-2010 at 9:16 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

19Posts Today

3,696Users online

Martin's Twitter