Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Desperate Housewife
    • By Desperate Housewife 2nd Nov 09, 5:53 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 6,498 Thanks
    Desperate Housewife
    • 2nd Nov 09, 5:53 PM
    • 2nd Nov 09, 5:53 PM
    I think RBS needs a shake up. I had someone from there on the phone today asking me if I wanted to reduce my facility on my one account or if I intended to draw on it. I asked why on earth would I want to that in this day and age when credit is hard to come by!
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000.
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil.
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 2nd Nov 09, 8:38 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    wizk1
    • 2nd Nov 09, 8:38 PM
    • 2nd Nov 09, 8:38 PM
    Will this mean the end for NatWest do we reckon? It would be very overwheliming having several new banks we've never heard of before.
    • Keeping Positive
    • By Keeping Positive 2nd Nov 09, 9:14 PM
    • 4,665 Posts
    • 9,363 Thanks
    Keeping Positive
    • 2nd Nov 09, 9:14 PM
    • 2nd Nov 09, 9:14 PM
    I can understand why they want to break up the banks but it seems too rushed. Lloyds in particular is still dealing with the HBOS "merger". I think they need to let the recent shocks calm and then have a long term plan to downsize. The taxpayers money is safe and will probably be repaid sooner if the banks are allowed to trade without worrying abount the next government plan.
    May 2013 new beginnings
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 3rd Nov 09, 7:54 AM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 3rd Nov 09, 7:54 AM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 7:54 AM
    Please see my latest blog

Chancellor on RBS Natwest & Northern Rock split

for more info on this
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 3rd Nov 09, 8:26 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    wizk1
    • 3rd Nov 09, 8:26 AM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 8:26 AM
    Please see my latest blog

Chancellor on RBS Natwest & Northern Rock split

for more info on this
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    Thanks for the update Martin. Also... you may also want to revise the way you spelt pawns at the bottom of your article. You don't want people to get the wrong impression
  • KTM Gordo
    • 3rd Nov 09, 8:56 AM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 8:56 AM
    Another erratum, Martin: Williams & Glynn was bought by RBS before they also bought Natwest.

As for whether this is good or bad for the customer, as you say: time will tell.
  • d93jwy
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:11 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:11 PM
    What about people with mortgages from Northern Rock who may fit with the "bad" part of the bank e.g. approx 100% mortgages. Will they be given the choice between "bad" bank and "good" bank, or forced to stay in the "bad" bank?
  • skiTTish
    • 4th Nov 09, 6:11 AM
    • 4th Nov 09, 6:11 AM
    We have just started repayments on a mortgage which is a TSB product (Lend-a-hand) but the mortgage is administered by C&G ,we haven't got a clue how this will affect us :/
  • Bridge_Teacher
    With all this furore about splitting Lloyds TSB, no mention seems to have been made about the fact that the government encouraged Lloyds to rescue the moribund Halifax group - much to the detrement of Lloyds' balance sheet (and to its shareholders).

Now, it appears, Lloyds has to divest itself (effectively, a fire-sale) of some of the more profitable parts of its business. Who will now make a killing at the expense of both old Lloyds shareholders and of the taxpayer ?
    • Keeping Positive
    • By Keeping Positive 5th Nov 09, 6:21 PM
    • 4,665 Posts
    • 9,363 Thanks
    Keeping Positive
    I think I heard they have about 4 years to do this so hopefully it wont be a fire sale.
    May 2013 new beginnings
    • Mark Norris
    • By Mark Norris 6th Jun 19, 4:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mark Norris
    NatWest/Williams & Glynn
    Now the government has decided to move NatWest business customers away from what was to be Williams & Glynn - we are being offered incentives (roughly £1000) - to move to a variety of banks including Metro Bank. Is there any advice available on the best bank options to pick? Furthermore is this a good plan to follow or would one be safer to stick with NatWest?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Jun 19, 4:27 PM
    • 5,367 Posts
    • 8,568 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Congratulations on reopening a 10 year old thread. This is possibly a record.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,596Posts Today

7,424Users online

Martin's Twitter