Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    alandbailey
    Another Tesco Massive Price Increase
    • 4th Oct 08, 5:32 PM
    Another Tesco Massive Price Increase 4th Oct 08 at 5:32 PM
    The Whitworths 500gm white sugar cubes which have been priced at 36p are now priced at 77p.
    Before there is a plethora of postings advising me thatthis is the way of retailing, I would point out that a) the SEL did not show it as a limited offer and b) Tesco appear to be funding its claim to be Britain's biggest discounter by discounting junk food but increasing the prices on some staples. Isn't that them being a bit hypocritical ?
    I am only posting this to inform other MSErs who may wish to go to their Tesco and see if they have any stock left at the lower price.
Page 3
  • brogusblue
    Hello

I have notice that a lot of prices have risen sharply over this month like 2 weeks ago i buy the value chickens for my dogs they where 1.99 last week 2.69 each now 2.46 confusing i normally buy 5 at a time, My friend always used to buy the value items at tesco but he doesn't now as nearly the same price as tesco's own. Some of cheap discounted items look nasty i always think quality rather than qaunity.

Cheers
    Brogusblue
  • djohn2002uk
    What do you expect from Tesco. They just bought all the staff new badges and they are all getting new uniforms soon. 250,000 of them. Gotta pay for them somehow. Me, I think they are taking the p*** out of all of us.
  • iliketosave
    Hello

I have notice that a lot of prices have risen sharply over this month like 2 weeks ago i buy the value chickens for my dogs they where 1.99 last week 2.69 each now 2.46 confusing i normally buy 5 at a time, My friend always used to buy the value items at tesco but he doesn't now as nearly the same price as tesco's own. Some of cheap discounted items look nasty i always think quality rather than qaunity.

Cheers
    Brogusblue
    Originally posted by brogusblue
    1.99 was a very short term price one weekend to match Asda, 2.46 was the price before, not sure about the 2.69 but they do have a habit of dropping prices, put them back up higher, then drop down to the original price and call it an offer. They think we were born yesterday.
    • p00
    • By p00 13th Oct 08, 11:17 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 1,564 Thanks
    p00
    Tesco 1.99 chickens were advertised again today in store but I couldnt find any in stock.

xxp00
    • thor
    • By thor 14th Oct 08, 12:24 AM
    • 5,299 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    thor
    I refuse to buy on principle when Tesco(and other supermarkets are guilty of this too) bring out a bogof offer but the price of one has been boosted so much that it very nearly matches the previous price of two. I only wish other customers did so too.
  • alandbailey
    Wild Pink Salmon more than doubled in price!
    Today I noticed that Tesco own brand large tins of Wild Pink Salmon are now on sale at 1.74; they were 80p.
    I immediately drove 1 mile to Sainsbury's where their own brand is still 80p and stocked up.
  • Gunna
    Huh i have noticed all of this too !!!

Especially as mentioned those darn big tins of sweets we all buy at christmas...oh yes on offer you think for a fiver you are getting a bargain but then again.....we bought a tin(well plastic tub which a actually prefer now) of Celebrations 2 weeks ago on offer in Tesco for 5.00 but when we got home we realised the tin was 950g now(i think)!!!!!!! What happened to the 1.3kg it used to be and the same with quality street,roses etc...all these mighty tins have shrunk hmmm not sure i llike these sneaky tactics!!!! Less sweeties for the family at Chrimbo...

Also has anyone else noticed the amount we are paying for tinned veg omg it is a right rip off!!!! with knobs on lol the price of a tin of Bigga peas 45p !! blimey they are that over cooked there is no vitamins or anything left in them they should be giving us them for free......the same goes for all the veg if it doesn't taste like bullets then it is ridiculously overpriced...OUTRAGEOUS !!!!
  • MOCHA
    What do you expect from Tesco. They just bought all the staff new badges and they are all getting new uniforms soon. 250,000 of them. Gotta pay for them somehow. Me, I think they are taking the p*** out of all of us.
    Originally posted by djohn2002uk
    The staff in my local store got their new uniforms about a month ago and yes WE'RE paying for them.
    Don't forget there'll be a fancy Christmas ad on tv soon as well and the Spice Girls got a million quid EACH for their 'efforts' last year!
    • katskorner
    • By katskorner 17th Oct 08, 4:44 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 3,447 Thanks
    katskorner
    Our store has just been refurbished and the prices have gone up in there. They have also removed lots of non-food lines and replaced them with discount brand foods. I like it even less than before. They did have loads of £1.99 chickens in though - not seen a shortage so far.
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
  • loveday
    value pasta up to 38p from 21p-ish.
    value milk up to over 50p from 41p...

very little help!
  • The Teaahloic
    We should all boycott them for one day. Tell everyone we know to do the same. If enough people avoided Tescos for one day it would make a big difference to their takings.
    They need to be shown that they are not the only shop on the planet and we are not idiots that they can fool with "market value" rubbish!
    • fc123
    • By fc123 17th Oct 08, 10:44 PM
    • 6,394 Posts
    • 28,319 Thanks
    fc123
    Good book about supermarkets
    Hi just thought I'd post this as some posters may find it interesting given the content of the thread.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shopped-Shocking-Power-British-Supermarkets/dp/0007158041/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224282638&sr=1-2

Up until 2004, I 'did' the once a week shop in Asda and that was it. It cost a fortune and we weren't eating as well as I thought.

I changed to local etc and halved our weekly bill. I buy an organic chicken for 9 (I don't do battery) but it is huge and can last 3 days...plus I save on not buying veg etc from any supermarket.

Riverford in Devon ( www.riverford.com.uk ) does a great box scheme that is cheaper than comparable fruit and veg from supermarkets...sometimes cheaper than the same NON organic items. I get an e-mail each week and choose what I want on a weekly basis. I have used a few diff ones but this is the best.

Their biggest con is in pulses, nuts, seeds etc. I am lucky to have an Asian supermarket locally and it is so much cheaper for great quality food basics.

I don't spend more time shopping for food...and only do Asda once a month for cat food (wot a ripp off ) coffee etc. A ''lowest margin'' shop.

This is worth a read too http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tescopoly-How-Shop-Came-Matters/dp/1845295110/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224283303&sr=1-1

Don't want to be preachy or anything but Tesco is not doing anyone a good deal...Tesco are only into profit for themselves. They kill off communites and push high margin processed food disguised as 'Healthy' etc.
    • fc123
    • By fc123 17th Oct 08, 10:48 PM
    • 6,394 Posts
    • 28,319 Thanks
    fc123
    We should all boycott them for one day. Tell everyone we know to do the same. If enough people avoided Tescos for one day it would make a big difference to their takings.
    They need to be shown that they are not the only shop on the planet and we are not idiots that they can fool with "market value" rubbish!
    Originally posted by The Teaahloic
    TBH It could be too late...they have successfully killed off any local competition in many towns. They have amassed land so other supermarkets cannot open. They are screwing suppliers and the quality of all our food is now very low.

Oligopolies are dangerous things......but only takes each person to decide not to play the game and things could change one day.

Felicity Lawrence has written 2 v good books on the subject too.
  • The Teaahloic
    Well I have decided not to play their game any more. They are too expensive , the quality of their food is awful . They are greedy and care only about themselves. They are constantly trying to fool people with their "offers" and unfortunately they succeed because customers wont wake up and look at what they are putting in their trolleys.
    • joshtbh
    • By joshtbh 17th Oct 08, 11:13 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    joshtbh
    Hmmm Sainsbury's will be much cheaper I'm sure (I am being sarcastic!)
    Originally posted by milliemonster
    Sainsburys isn't much more expensive, and cheaper than some places - and is often far better quality stuff.
  • bluetimone97
    Very true, Sainsburys is comparable in price to Tesco, and also I noticed the other day that milk, veg, and fresh meat )if you bought the offer)in M&S was comparable in price to Tesco, that really scared me!

In both the above shops the quality would be much much higher!
    Real men never follow instructions; after all they are just the manufacturer's opinion on how to put something together.
    • Princess Coupon
    • By Princess Coupon 17th Oct 08, 11:40 PM
    • 3,592 Posts
    • 21,457 Thanks
    Princess Coupon
    Tesco's own lge bag of dry roasted peanuts was 75p now 1, a 33% increase. Yes of course inflation is only at 5%.
    Last edited by Princess Coupon; 17-10-2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: put 7p instead of 75p
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven

• Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Oct 08, 11:43 PM
    • 75,956 Posts
    • 89,056 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Sainsburys isn't much more expensive, and cheaper than some places - and is often far better quality stuff.
    Originally posted by joshtbh

I agree, Sainsburys is no longer noticeably more expensive than Tesco IMHO. I also noticed in Best magazine this week where they do a week-to-week price comparison of a shopping basket of basics, that Tesco was more expensive than Sainsburys this week (and Asda was pounds cheaper!).

Also don't ignore Waitrose thinking it may be a lot more expensive. They accept coupons off your shopping even if you've not bought the item on the coupon (like Tesco do, only they are much nicer about accepting them). And they have some offers that are cheaper than in Tesco.

Here are 2 current offers I bought this week in Waitys, cheaper than Tesco:

Heinz Tomato Ketchup 700g on offer at 2 for 3 (think Tesco had them at 1.89 each)

Robinson's squash on offer at 2 for 1.60 (Tesco puts these at 2 for 1.80 when on offer).

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • whowho
    I have to say that I often pop into waitrose and find meat and fish much cheaper than in tesco. I got 16 free range chicken thighs for 4 in there a couple of weeks ago.. I'd like to see Tesco beat that!
    • sarahg1969
    • By sarahg1969 17th Oct 08, 11:47 PM
    • 6,429 Posts
    • 10,821 Thanks
    sarahg1969
    I noticed prices in Asda have one up too. SP sweetcorn tins - up from 21p to 32p overnight. SP beans - not bought for ages, but I was expecting them to be about 9p. They are somewhere around the 27p mark. At least I get some good bargains on meat early on a Friday morning, though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

4,294Users online

Martin's Twitter