Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    alandbailey
    Another Tesco Massive Price Increase
    • 4th Oct 08, 5:32 PM
    Another Tesco Massive Price Increase 4th Oct 08 at 5:32 PM
    The Whitworths 500gm white sugar cubes which have been priced at 36p are now priced at 77p.
    Before there is a plethora of postings advising me thatthis is the way of retailing, I would point out that a) the SEL did not show it as a limited offer and b) Tesco appear to be funding its claim to be Britain's biggest discounter by discounting junk food but increasing the prices on some staples. Isn't that them being a bit hypocritical ?
    I am only posting this to inform other MSErs who may wish to go to their Tesco and see if they have any stock left at the lower price.
Page 2
    • iris
    • By iris 5th Oct 08, 11:14 AM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 3,398 Thanks
    iris
    I used to buy Tesco's value tinned peaches at 16p a tin earlier this year. Then they went up to 32p ..... they are now 29p
    • LesD
    • By LesD 5th Oct 08, 2:19 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    LesD
    I was in Tesco last week and their half-price pizza offer has now finished. The price DOUBLED over-night! What a rip-off!!! :rolleyes:
    • Moufflon
    • By Moufflon 5th Oct 08, 10:13 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 1,068 Thanks
    Moufflon
    Have noticed many of the items mentioned previously in the mega reductions and misprices threads i.e. Pearce Duff blancmange, Cadburys child size chocolate bars, Silver Spoon Royal Icing Sugar, Dark and Light brown sugar and loads more have shot up in price, at least in my local Tesco and a few surrounding ones too. Am convinced someone on the inside is reading this and taking note!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 6th Oct 08, 4:42 AM
    • 9,165 Posts
    • 17,056 Thanks
    calleyw
    The Whitworths 500gm white sugar cubes which have been priced at 36p are now priced at 77p.
    Originally posted by alandbailey
    In my best victor meldrew "I don't believe it" I only bought sugar cubes the other day two boxes. Took one to work and kept one for home as it seems other wise they make a mess with sugar.

Wish I had not taken them in work now as I could have kept them for husband who makes a huge mess.

Sugar does not have a date on it. Wish I had now stocked up

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 6th Oct 08, 12:13 PM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    Turn the price rise into an opportunity to wean him off sugar in drinks.
    I managed to cut it out a few years ago, the down side is that you do become very fussy about the quality of the tea and coffee you drink.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • woollys_super_saver
    4 pints of milk up to 1.53 today, it was 1.44 last week.
    • kippers
    • By kippers 6th Oct 08, 1:56 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    kippers
    I noticed the value mushrooms have shot up in price now they have changed the size and value peppers have too

I totally agree that it's always the 'rubbish' food that are BOGO free and basics are going up at Mr T's

I also wish we had somewhere that showed the cheapest 'basics' in each supermarket
  • MOCHA
    The prices in all the stores are changing on a weekly basis it seems to me and is a deliberate ploy to confuse the customer as to what they're actually paying for any particular item.
    Of course when a store 'cuts' a price to what it was before they put up the price they can slap up posters claiming to have 'inflation busting prices' which are still making them a good profit!:rolleyes:
    • Slickman
    • By Slickman 8th Oct 08, 6:27 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Slickman
    Tesco Value Tuna Chunks In Brine - 34p on Sunday, 48p today - 41% increase!
    • CarolTheExtra
    • By CarolTheExtra 8th Oct 08, 7:35 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    CarolTheExtra
    Thanks Slickman. We buy a lot of Value tuna and I can remember reading only a few days ago that most people thought Value tuna was as good as any other brand. I am fuming now, knew you must be right but checked on line first because it is so unbelievable. How can they do this particularly on items they are promoting as basic cheap items. I posted about the Value beetroot a couple of weeks ago going up from 20p to 45p. It then went down to 41p. I don't know what it is now and it has disappeared off the shelves again.

I just check everything online before we go shopping now but I feel like going in there and shouting at the top of my voice to all the customers about their greed!!!!!
    • adr0ck
    • By adr0ck 8th Oct 08, 8:03 AM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    adr0ck
    Clipper peppermint tea was 79p before the summer.

During the summer it was marked discontinued and dropped to 40p (I bought lots.)
    Recently its gone up to 1.19.

So its either a 50% increase or a 198% increase depending on where you start looking.

I've started buying from Clipper directly now and buy in bulk lots and lots of tea just so mr Tesco doesn't.
    Originally posted by unrich
    not sure about peppermint tea (never had it - is it nice?) but clipper green tea over the summer in asda was 69p for 25......................now gone up to 79p - I think

been buying the green tea from lidl recently 59p for 25
    • Benny24
    • By Benny24 8th Oct 08, 8:45 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Benny24
    In Tesco yesterday and on the shelf were their 4 extra long rolls of luxury soft toilet tissue. I noticed some of the packs had the little "New and Improved" sign on them.....................

Result......original packs 360 sheets per roll............the new and improved 241 sheets at the same price.............

New and Improved where???????
  • Wardy
    Tesco Value Tuna Chunks In Brine - 34p on Sunday, 48p today - 41% increase!
    Originally posted by Slickman

I saw this yesterday when I did my on-line shop - usually buy a couple of can for my cat as a treat - I can't stand tuna myself. I couldn't believe it and refused to buy it. Luckily I work near Morrisons so will pop down there and see if I can grab him a few cheap tins from there. You do get pulled into a false sense of security don't you when you don't keep an eye on the prices
    • p00
    • By p00 8th Oct 08, 11:14 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 1,564 Thanks
    p00
    I think the so called price cuts we are now seeing everywhere are really diminishing sizes of products.

And arent tesco hiking up prices so they can 'drop' them a few pence later?

Does anyone know if the tins of sweets we see now for 5 or 6 are smaller than when they were 8+?

xp00
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 8th Oct 08, 11:23 AM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 10,131 Thanks
    kpwll
    I do the shopping for my 89yr old stepmum, she loves the Tesco pastilles, they were 45p they are now 85p, that was in 1 increase. She also likes Yeo Valley yoghurt, 1 pack = 1.48, SPECIAL OFFER buy 2 for 3.00.
    Items are going up there daily, I sometimes wonder if they price the goods depending on what ticket prices they have available.
    As far as I can see the only thing Tesco's discounts are the customers pockets.
  • MOCHA
    In Tesco yesterday and on the shelf were their 4 extra long rolls of luxury soft toilet tissue. I noticed some of the packs had the little "New and Improved" sign on them.....................

Result......original packs 360 sheets per roll............the new and improved 241 sheets at the same price.............

New and Improved where???????
    Originally posted by Benny24
    'New and improved profit!'

A lot of these 'discount brands' in Tesco are an utter con and worse value than the stuff they're replacing.
    They really must take us for fools if they think that people don't check the details and work out the unit cost!
  • Jasper27
    Tesco are definately the worse for this. I buy tinned strawberries as they are fine for smoothies and I can't affford fresh ones in the winter. They were 25p for ages which I thought was very cheap then they shot up to 52p then 56p. I can only think the supermarkets think we are stupid and don't keep an eye on prices. I've written loads of complaining letters to various of them but I really don't think they are bothered. I'm a supermarket slut and shop at all of them and just buy whatever's cheapest or on offer in any given store. I'm lucky that within 5 miles I have a Tesco Extra, Asda Superstore, Sainsburys and Morrisons and I know some of you don't have much choice.

Wardy, I'd hate to think of your cat being denied it's treat by the cold hearted profit hungry supermarkets so if you have an Asda nearby they had branded (John West I think) tuna in brine for 50p today!
    • Alan_T
    • By Alan_T 8th Oct 08, 11:01 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Alan_T
    She also likes Yeo Valley yoghurt, 1 pack = 1.48, SPECIAL OFFER buy 2 for 3.00.
    Originally posted by kpwll
    Claim back 8p as a misprice
    • Moufflon
    • By Moufflon 9th Oct 08, 2:24 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 1,068 Thanks
    Moufflon
    Tesco Value Curry Sauce, was 4p, today 9p.
    Bisquick Pancake Mix, was thirty something pence, today over a pound.
    Sorry didn't have pen and paper, and the memory has gone!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 12th Oct 08, 1:39 PM
    • 9,165 Posts
    • 17,056 Thanks
    calleyw
    not sure about peppermint tea (never had it - is it nice?) but clipper green tea over the summer in asda was 69p for 25......................now gone up to 79p - I think

been buying the green tea from lidl recently 59p for 25
    Originally posted by adr0ck
    Tetley green tea with lemon 25 bags 49p in a tub. Next to it 50 in a box 1.79p my maths is not great. But I know which one I will be buying.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,885Posts Today

6,608Users online

Martin's Twitter