Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 19th Aug 19, 11:33 AM
    • 114,983Posts
    • 238,791Thanks
    Quasar
    Scammers getting inventive/desperate
    • 19th Aug 19, 11:33 AM
    Scammers getting inventive/desperate 19th Aug 19 at 11:33 AM
    Just got a call on my landline from 020 8216 2391, a London number. All I got was a recorded message advising me that my BT broadband would be disconnected within 24 hours as my IP had been compromised - and I should call them back.

I'm with BT telephone line, but my broadband service is with another company. Plus, my IP is dynamic so that it changes every time I connect to the net.

Needless to say, I just ignored it. But it was a London number, which has set me thinking. How long can they hope to get away with it?

I googled the number but got no results.
    Im looking for a man - a real man, one who gets home, slams his fist on the table and thunders,"Woman, run the hot water, I want to do the dishes!"
Page 1
    • welshbookworm
    • By welshbookworm 19th Aug 19, 12:07 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 6,888 Thanks
    welshbookworm
    • 19th Aug 19, 12:07 PM
    • 19th Aug 19, 12:07 PM
    I had one today , who told me she'd ring me back if I hung up!She hung up on me
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 19th Aug 19, 3:30 PM
    • 40,365 Posts
    • 89,756 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 19th Aug 19, 3:30 PM
    • 19th Aug 19, 3:30 PM
    It's not showing on whocallsme.com, but there is nothing stopping you reporting it on that site to warn others.

Just because it appears to be a London number doesn't mean that it originates there. Technology now can bounce calls around the world to make it look as though it is local/national, but it's just as likely to have originated overseas.

Sadly there is very little you can do about it except pay for a call blocker. Personally I think the problem is so great that 'phone providers should offer blockers for free.
    Other opinions are available.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • webjaved
    • By webjaved 19th Aug 19, 3:35 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    webjaved
    • 19th Aug 19, 3:35 PM
    • 19th Aug 19, 3:35 PM
    Phones come with a built in feature now where you can block phone numbers.

Otherwise, if you are on Android you can use an app called "Call Blocker".
    Save 12k in 2019 #154 - 12,696.98/12k
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 19th Aug 19, 3:38 PM
    • 114,983 Posts
    • 238,791 Thanks
    Quasar
    • 19th Aug 19, 3:38 PM
    • 19th Aug 19, 3:38 PM
    Oh yes, on my mobile I block all such numbers. On the landline I get very few calls and I don't mind just putting the phone down. I was just posting about this scam, as the phone number and crisp English accent may look/sound genuine.
    Im looking for a man - a real man, one who gets home, slams his fist on the table and thunders,"Woman, run the hot water, I want to do the dishes!"
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 21st Aug 19, 1:20 PM
    • 9,509 Posts
    • 10,033 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 21st Aug 19, 1:20 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 1:20 PM
    "Getting Inventive" - these calls have been going out for years!

And IIRC we have plenty of threads from posters who have or have had people taken-in by them!
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 21st Aug 19, 2:20 PM
    • 12,730 Posts
    • 28,295 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 21st Aug 19, 2:20 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 2:20 PM

And IIRC we have plenty of threads from posters who have or have had people taken-in by them!
    Originally posted by pogofish

Yes they have.

The one I was getting sometimes 6 times a day was 600 has been sent from my credit card abroad and if I did not authorise it to press 1.
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 21st Aug 19, 2:26 PM
    • 114,983 Posts
    • 238,791 Thanks
    Quasar
    • 21st Aug 19, 2:26 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 2:26 PM

Originally posted by pogofish
    I know these calls have been going out for years. But to me the the novelty was the posh English accent and a London number. Before I always got Alan or John or Amy with a strong Asian accent from an unspecified international number.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 21st Aug 19, 4:12 PM
    • 9,509 Posts
    • 10,033 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 21st Aug 19, 4:12 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 4:12 PM
    I know these calls have been going out for years. But to me the the novelty was the posh English accent and a London number. Before I always got Alan or John or Amy with a strong Asian accent from an unspecified international number.
    Originally posted by Quasar
    Phone numbers have also been spoofed for a very ling time too (early/mid 2000s?) and some Asian call centres are actually pretty high-status operations, geared at the UK/American market, mainly thanks to our generous international development funding. Staffed by persons from private school backgrounds whose english is indeed often impeccable and accent-free. You may find the same firms handling a range of clients, from major international corporations, to shonky spammers like these pretty-much seamlessly as most of the scammers "commissioning" goes via overseas third parties in other difficult to action places.

Its a long way from the sweatshop/barely literate business it once was - although yes, some of those do still exist.
    Last edited by pogofish; 21-08-2019 at 4:16 PM.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 25th Aug 19, 12:09 PM
    • 13,602 Posts
    • 18,902 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Q, you may be interested in this YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBNG0osIBAprVcZZ3ic84vw/videos

Does contain some NSFW/"salty" language, most often from the scammers themselves - you have been warned
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,769Posts Today

7,371Users online

Martin's Twitter