Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,319Posts
    • 13,926Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 6:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 6:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £705 (so far - as at 16/06/19)
Page 22
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 17th Aug 19, 4:03 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 17,683 Thanks
    Peppapig
    VULPIX youíve definitely got your mojo back which is lovely to see. Iím sorry to hear how your SIL has deteriorated though, even when we expect it itís still so hard to see. Itís good you were able to go and visit her though.

Welcome to the best festive thread HARIBO, four teenagers sounds expensive

I like those snowman boxes SAMMY, thinking about who Iíve got to buy for, Iím not sure if they would work for me but Iím not ruling them out yet.

PRINCESSKITTY, hope you enjoyed the wrapping.

DD1 is planning our Christmas bargains mooches (Home Bargains, The Range, B&M, etc) for when the children are back at school - I canít wait. Last year we complained in The Range because they had all their Christmas decorations out and the staff were all wearing Christmas jumpers but they were playing boring lift music, no Christmas tunes at all. Itís very hard to enjoy early Christmas prep to a rubbish soundtrack. Apparently they donít play their Christmas music til December which is way too late for the serious Christmas devotee.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 17th Aug 19, 4:26 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 16,904 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi,everybody.So good to see new people joining us and hearing all their Christmas prep.

NICE snowman boxes. If my children EVER reproduce I will use that idea,lol.

I love the fact that you complained about the lack of Christmas music Peppa.Mr V works in media and gets complaints even if it's December.

Having any early 18th family bash tomorrow for DD2.Got loads to do so spent the day in the garden!

I have sold my mini,boohoo.I have had it from new for 15 years.She runs like a dream but an electrical fault where the warning lights can't be switched off mean she won't pass an MOT. The work would cost more than she is worth. She has been a trooper and has never let me down.

Gotta go,going to a BBQ. A friend has bought a massive hill at the back of his house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's at the top! It'll be freezing as well as windswept! This is the place with the hammock incident I may have told you about before! OMG also the doing the splits debacle!

Pepsi for me.

Vx
    • Haribo1980
    • By Haribo1980 17th Aug 19, 5:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Haribo1980
    Hi peppa. Thanks for the welcome. It can get ridiculous at christmas if i let it but the kids are good and know i only have so much in the purse so they have to chip in if they want a big item. My 14 year old wants an iphone 7 plus for xmas so shes saving every spare penny she can as she knows theres no way she would get it without raising at least half the money herself. My inlaws are also chipping in for this item. I just hope she realises she wont be getting another if anything should happen to it!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 17th Aug 19, 9:04 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 28,805 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    No idea if these are any use to anyone but The Perfume Shop have these Ted Baker sets on offer for £9.99. The female version is a 30ml eau de toilette and a 200ml body lotion and the mens is a 30ml eau de toilette and a 200ml body wash

Last edited by StokieBecks; 17-08-2019 at 9:07 PM.
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 18th Aug 19, 8:44 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 19,484 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Hello all. Im a lurker, never a poster. Id love to join you all on the countdown to the best time of the year. Im a mum to 4 teenagers and usually start my xmas prep in january but im so far behind this year.
    Originally posted by Haribo1980
    Welcome to the thread Haribo! I have two teenagers and a little one so I can sympathise with the expense and like you I am usually half done by now but I havent brought anything yet. I do have a random bag of stuff upstairs though that I am going to look through to see if I can sell anything to start on my christmas funds and buying. Sounds awful but I will focus on my lot and then go from there.

Aslo excited to see the new Emilia Clarke film that will be out for Christmas - LAST CHRISTMAS - think it is released on the 19th so it should be good to take the kids to see for christmas!

DD1 is planning our Christmas bargains mooches (Home Bargains, The Range, B&M, etc) for when the children are back at school - I can’t wait.
    Originally posted by Peppapig
    Sounds like a fab mooching session will be in order for you. My mother in law is rather shop phobic and has decided this year to do her shopping online but she likes to go and have a look around a big Home Bargains store we have outside town still so I'm hoping to tag along with her. Failing that I will go with my sister in law

Peaceful day today and if the weather holds off I will go out and do some more blackberry picking. Last year I saw lots of people picking them and this year it just seems like everyone has given up. Not that Im complaining because it means I am getting a nice haul. I have already made two jars of jam and have two tubs (one small tub and one ice cream box) full in the freezer that I can defrost and jam make throughout the winter but I have just brought some small takeaway dishes so I am thinking if I go picking today I will make crumbles and freeze them ready for easy desserts.

Have also decided to start penpalling too so am trying to find some nice Christmas cards ready to send to them - welsh Christmas cards seem to be dying out here in South Wales which is so sad to see as I love sending them
    Last edited by sammy_kaye18; 18-08-2019 at 9:20 AM.
    Finally sorting myself out.
    Debts - £2022.18 owed. 8 lenders.
    • doodygirl
    • By doodygirl 18th Aug 19, 10:07 AM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    doodygirl
    Morning everyone,
    I’m laid up with a slipped disc so perfect time for a bit of Xmas shopping ��. I’ve so far managed to buy a few lol bits for my daughter, hoping that the glampervan drops a bit in price. Also managed to get some of the new hatchimals for half price.
    Got my son a brainbox space so far.

I’m waiting for the next Argos 3 for 2 have my list ready �� anyone heard when it is going to start yet?

I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend, I’m off to snuggle and watch a xmas movie with my kids. I need to rest my back or I will be the worst bride in 4 weeks ��!♀️
    Wishing everyone the best of luck for 2019
    • Haribo1980
    • By Haribo1980 18th Aug 19, 3:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Haribo1980
    Hello all. Ordered a couple of bits from amazon last night. Couple of stranger things tshirts for my youngest and some pop vinyl figures for the 15 year old. Both my girls are mad on the korean group bts so im getting them some band stuff and albums. Glad with the bits i got as they were free as i had some vouchers from survey sites i use.
    • Jewels1207
    • By Jewels1207 18th Aug 19, 5:08 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    Jewels1207
    Hi all I'm new to this thread. I hope it's ok to join. I usually start my Christmas shopping when the Argos 3 for 2 starts but every year I say I'm going to start earlier.
    I have a huge family to buy for. Round about 30 folk most of which are immediate family. I've suggested cutting back, only doing kids or secret santa but have been told I'm a Scrooge. It's not just the money, it's the never knowing what to buy them all and it's the same for their birthdays throughout the year. I find it very stressful and most months I've got 3 birthdays on average, sometimes 4! That's just families before we get invited to kids parties etc.
    So I want to try and start even earlier this year. But have no idea where to begin.
    I try and do as much shopping as I can online as I work full time so find it hard to get to the shops!
    I've got two boys, one at 6 the other 3 and 6 nieces and nephews all ranging up from 1-7. Then all mine and my DHs siblings and mum's/dad's.
    Looking for some inspiration of where to start looking online and if anyone has any ideas. All the nieces and nephews bdays are all coming up shortly too which doesn't help because I feel like I'm having to double buy for the bday and Christmas!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 18th Aug 19, 5:26 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 28,805 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Hi Jewels totally get you with not knowing what to get at times. And I like to choose gifts rather than have to ask what to get (although sometimes I just have to ask - and usually get the answer give money which doesn't help either)

My list is about same length as yours of who we buy for. We save a set amount each month and I start picking up bits from about this time every year as really hate not having it done by start of December (hate the shops when they start getting busy, hate delivery drivers at that time of year and usually start working extra hours so don't have time to gift hunt haha)

The Works usually have good offers on childrens books you can pick up cheaply for nieces and nephews for birthdays. Or crafty bits if they like making things/drawing/colouring. They are all young enough to not need lots of money spent to be happy

Is there a way you could maybe buy a family gift for some of them - something they can all do together? Like a game or a "movie night in" box (dvd, popcorn, sweets etc)
    • Jewels1207
    • By Jewels1207 18th Aug 19, 5:40 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    Jewels1207
    Hi Stokie, I'm like you, I like to have it all done by the start of December. I start feeling panicky if I've not started by start of sept!
    They're prob still too young to get money. The good thing is 3 of the girls are the same age so I usually get them all the same thing which helps. One year I decided to make hampers for all the couple's and I thought it'd be easier and less stressful but I actually found it more stressful! I like the idea of hampers tho because it's loads of nice goodies that will get used rather than tat for the sake of buying it.
    Oh yes, the Works is really good, I will have a look on there thanks.
    I've seen a couple of things in the Argos clearance but I never know whether to wait for the 3 for 2. But in the last couple of years I've seen some bad press about Argos bumping up their prices for the 3 for 2!
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 18th Aug 19, 6:04 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 18,081 Thanks
    nic2075
    Evening. Well August and July just disappeared! My kids go back to school tomorrow. And me back to work
    So nervous for my DS starting high school. Iím worried he will get picked on.

So far I bought myself some new Christmas socks. They Elf (the film) ones from next. I love them.
    I also bought some stocking fillers from Flying tiger or whatever itís called. Loads of fun things in there.
    Thatís all so far. It was my DDís 14th birthday yesterday. So itís always easier to start Xmas shopping once their birthdays have passed.
    • mandco
    • By mandco 19th Aug 19, 10:28 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    mandco
    haven't been on in forever Can't believe how quickly this year has gone seems to have flown by and I haven't even started my xmas prep yet
    Hope everyone is doing ok

Princesskitty Wow 5 already bet wiggle is full of attitude

Love the snowman box idea I might do something like that this year as xmas is going to be on a serious budget and the kids being older the things they would like are so much smaller/ expensive the present pile will look tiny.

Middle ds is the one I think I'm going to struggle with the most as other than the ps4 he has no real interests and he's not yet bothered about clothes/smellies so trying to find some filler gifts that aren't just buying for the sake of it items that will be resigned to the back of the cupboard is really really hard.
    Taz on the other hand is easy to buy for in the moment but changes his mind like the weather so what he wants 1 day hes gone off of by the next so trying to figure out what will stand the test of time. Currently we're having a minecraft/fortnite phase but blimey the merch is expensive so will def be looking for deals.
    Hoping argos will have a 3 for 2 soon as his birthday is coming up.

Don't have as many presents to buy this year as due to finances we've agreed to cut back. We're also buying for our own kids only and adding an extra gift from each relative rather than buying and swapping gifts. I think this will work well as it means everyone gets things they really want/like rather than random stuff, multiple of the same or us simply swapping like for like gifts-last year ds got 9 lynx sets. It also prevents the inevitable upset when one party take the time and effort to buy something really nice and another just gives the kids a selection pack.

Dgd has her 1st xmas & 1st birthday within a week of each other so not sure whether to get her a bigger joint gift and then some smaller bits for each or to just buy for each one separately?
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • Opee92
    • By Opee92 20th Aug 19, 6:14 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    Opee92
    A quick heads up to all those ladies waiting for the 3for2 at Argos I’ve done some digging on the internal communications and it would appear that it is “supposedly” a promotion that the company no longer wants to do. Chief of marketing put out a message to say that instead of 3 for 2 they will focus more on toy promotions (talk of 20% off weekends much like Smyths)

Whether or not it is something the company will stick with (a part of me wonders if they’re saying this to stop it getting leaked everytime the promo is on - also because the company have become too predictable holding them at the same time every year - I guess this has made it easier for competition; Smyths, Tesco etc to put toy promos on at the same time?) I don’t know but I can confirm that stores have been asked to discard any 3 for 2 pos as it will “no longer be needed”

Sorry for rambling I just wanted to keep you ladies in the loop ��
    • Jewels1207
    • By Jewels1207 20th Aug 19, 6:35 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    Jewels1207
    Thanks for the heads up Opee.
    I wonder if it's also to do with the bad press they've had the last couple of years for hiking the prices the day the 3 for 2 starts. I've always managed to do well out of it tho but think I'll just start shopping without waiting for it!
    • mandco
    • By mandco 20th Aug 19, 8:50 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    mandco
    Thanks for the heads up Opee - A lot of disappointed people this year if that's the case but I can understand why they would decide not to offer it though I can see them losing a lot of sales.

Need to get a bigger table or find a way to extend the one we have as dd and family want to come for dinner this year.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • doodygirl
    • By doodygirl 20th Aug 19, 10:39 AM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    doodygirl
    Oh no I hope that’s not the case with the 3 for 2. I think I better do some research with my lists and compare prices elsewhere.

Runs off to check other stores
    Wishing everyone the best of luck for 2019
    • Joyfullyfestive
    • By Joyfullyfestive 20th Aug 19, 2:50 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Joyfullyfestive
    Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all doing good today. Really exciting to see the thread getting busy with all your news of your Christmas buys, I love this thread at this time of year when all the stuff starts appearing in stores and people share info. It makes me very happy. Good intel on Argos 3for2 Opee.

I went to Dunelm yesterday and picked up a beautiful set of ribbons from the haberdashery section, a pack of 25 different 2m lengths in all red and greens, so christmassy and only £5 which I thought was cheap for so many varieties in good lengths. I can't work out how to put photos here, but already putting them to work on my Instagram!

Dunelm also had some lovely hanging animal decorations for £2.50, Deer, elephant, cow and hare among others. Don't think they were officially Christmas decorations, but could def be used as such. I bought a set of four hanging wooden hearts for £2.50 another bargain.

Sainsbury's also had a suspiciously empty row, hopefully for Christmas chocolates to go onto soon.

Not long now until the shops are in full swing.

Joyfullyfestive
    Joyfullyfestive all year round. Instagram: @joyfullyfestive
    • Linz4383
    • By Linz4383 20th Aug 19, 2:59 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Linz4383
    Hey... so much for popping on every so often
    Hope they don't get rid of Argos 3 for 2 I usually get my last bits o that so it's done.... it's usually towards end of September as my vouchers have usually arrived just before
    Done a fair bit for Xmas! Got to get it all out and sorted through properly.. I do have my list but seeing it is better can see how much I've actually bought.
    Park vouchers will be here next month! Been topping up for Asda Xmas savers... only £85 left to top up! Tesco Xmas savers is topped up ready for the bonus and put some on the morissons one too although I'm not sure if that one will make the £97 for the bonus or not.
    Just need to get the kids back to scholl to declutter the toys and sort the living room ready!
    Also purchased Xmas bedding for the first year... cannot wait to get that on other half will kill me
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 20th Aug 19, 3:22 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    LMG1305
    It's official, I am fed up of summer & want Christmas to be here now! I have started my Christmas shopping & even planned a Christmas craft/baking day with my sisters. I think what kicked it off was because we had an offer accepted on a new house a few weeks ago, so should be in by Christmas and the first thing I thought of is where I would put the Christmas trees lol

Then I came across JoyfullyFestive's Instagram page & I'm obsessed!

I've been scouring everywhere online looking for when stores are bringing their Christmas range out. So far the only one I've found is Matalan, which as of today is in 14 days. I remember last year Matalan being one of the earlier releases, but other shops followed suit soon after.

I'm also getting quite excited for Halloween this year. Costco have got their Halloween decorations out now so I want to pop down there this week. We bought a Halloween wreath last year, so I want to add a few more bits this year to get into the spooky spirit.

I've been thinking about our daughters Christmas Eve boxes and already have a list of what I'm going to put in them. I like the things in these boxes to be 'Christmas', so Christmas PJ's, a Christmas book etc, so I won't be able to get any of these things until the Christmas ranges are out, but I have ordered some Christmas sweet/cookie/gift bags to put the Christmas cookies in that I'll be making closer to the time.

I know Disney store have their tree decorations in stores and online now. I'm going to have a look at them over the weekend but we did buy a few things in DisneyWorld this year, so I don't know if I will get anything yet.

In regards to the Argos 3for2 thing I will ask my friend. She is a store manager so they usually find out these things much earlier, she used to tell me the dates when she knew them, but I don't really buy much from Argos anymore so she doesn't bother now. I always found the prices weren't much of a saving because some stuff in Argos was priced higher than places like Amazon.

I've bought my stepmum some Christmas candles. I've actually bought them for her birthday though, which is at the end of September. She loves Christmas as much as we do & the candles are 'Christmas Eve', 'Christmas Day' and 'Boxing Day' candles, so I think it makes sense to give them to her now because she can use the Christmas Eve one on the actual day.

I got really excited yesterday because a friend posted on her facebook that Tesco have started stocking the Christmas chocolates. Much to my disappointment, when I got to my local Tesco I found it's the bags of chocolates, not the tubs. The tubs are nostalgic for me, so I was muttering around the store to myself that 'they're not Christmas chocolates'.

Anyway I've rattled on for far too long but I'm going to go back & try to catch up on some of the more recent posts to see how you're all doing
    • Jewels1207
    • By Jewels1207 20th Aug 19, 3:23 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    Jewels1207
    I cannot wait until payday to start getting some stuff in. Think this year I need to get serious and rather than a scribbled handwritten list in my diary, think I need to go full throttle and start a spreadsheet!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,575Posts Today

6,005Users online

Martin's Twitter