Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • m_i
    • By m_i 17th Aug 19, 9:16 PM
    • 195Posts
    • 155Thanks
    m_i
    Why are we paying so much for plastic bags
    • 17th Aug 19, 9:16 PM
    Why are we paying so much for plastic bags 17th Aug 19 at 9:16 PM
    Why are we paying so much for plastic bags depending on the size that they are?

Why do companies think that they can charge you so much like TK Maxx and Boots?

I think we need a clearer picture of where the money is going - I have emailed TK Maxx to find out.

A plastic bag is it cost to the business and we shouldnít be paying extra just because itís bigger.

What are your views?
    Nice to save.
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 17th Aug 19, 9:37 PM
    • 17,638 Posts
    • 13,746 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 17th Aug 19, 9:37 PM
    • 17th Aug 19, 9:37 PM

I think we need a clearer picture of where the money is going - I have emailed TK Maxx to find out.

A plastic bag is it cost to the business and we shouldn’t be paying extra just because it’s bigger.

What are your views?
    Originally posted by m_i
    Google is your friend.
    Clue- The Woodland Trust
    Take your own bag..
    Last edited by hollydays; 17-08-2019 at 9:50 PM.
    • oldernonethewiser
    • By oldernonethewiser 17th Aug 19, 9:40 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    oldernonethewiser
    • 17th Aug 19, 9:40 PM
    • 17th Aug 19, 9:40 PM

A plastic bag is it cost to the business and we shouldnít be paying extra just because itís bigger.

What are your views?
    Originally posted by m_i

Are "we" really?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Aug 19, 9:57 PM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 63,026 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 17th Aug 19, 9:57 PM
    • 17th Aug 19, 9:57 PM
    Are "we" really?
    Originally posted by oldernonethewiser
    Certainly I'm not included in that 'we'.

I can't remember the last time I paid for a plastic bag - of any size.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 17th Aug 19, 10:02 PM
    • 12,720 Posts
    • 28,230 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 17th Aug 19, 10:02 PM
    • 17th Aug 19, 10:02 PM

What are your views?
    Originally posted by m_i

I do not think you are paying enough.

The higher price the better IMO.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 17th Aug 19, 11:55 PM
    • 7,720 Posts
    • 10,487 Thanks
    waamo
    • 17th Aug 19, 11:55 PM
    • 17th Aug 19, 11:55 PM
    Here you go a simple explanation https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/single-use-plastic-carrier-bags-why-were-introducing-the-charge/carrier-bags-why-theres-a-5p-charge
    This space for hire.
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 18th Aug 19, 5:36 AM
    • 7,246 Posts
    • 7,899 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 18th Aug 19, 5:36 AM
    • 18th Aug 19, 5:36 AM
    They don't want you to buy them so they raised the price.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 18th Aug 19, 7:12 PM
    • 4,029 Posts
    • 5,125 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    • 18th Aug 19, 7:12 PM
    • 18th Aug 19, 7:12 PM
    You're paying so much because you have gone into a shop unprepared and without your own bag.
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 18th Aug 19, 7:40 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    fewgroats
    • 18th Aug 19, 7:40 PM
    • 18th Aug 19, 7:40 PM
    You're paying so much because you have gone into a shop unprepared and without your own bag.
    Originally posted by ThumbRemote
    Or box. Or just stick items in your boot randomly from your trolley.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th Aug 19, 7:47 PM
    • 34,924 Posts
    • 22,105 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Dont see it as an issue, if I end up not having a bag or 2 on me then I take the hit and buy how many I need, I just make it more important to take some next time.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 18th Aug 19, 9:15 PM
    • 4,153 Posts
    • 3,803 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Its not a cost of business, it’s a cost of being unprepared.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 18th Aug 19, 9:42 PM
    • 12,178 Posts
    • 32,525 Thanks
    suki1964
    I am not a member of the "we" so please own it for yourself

You have the choice of paying for a plastic bag, or take your own reusable bag

My view is, they just should not be offered, no matter how expensive, full stop
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 18th Aug 19, 9:44 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 4,471 Thanks
    JReacher1
    The most I’ve paid for a bag is 10p. How much are you paying?

I realise it’s bad for the environment but I don’t like carrying plastic bags around with me so end up paying for a few bags when I do my shop. At the most it adds 50p to a shop so don’t really notice it
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 19th Aug 19, 12:42 AM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    SnowTiger

What are your views?
    Originally posted by m_i
    I'm far from being an environmentalist lovey, but I believe waste plastic is particularly horrible: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/17/thailands-sweetheart-dugong-dies-with-plastic-in-stomach.

From TXMaxx's website, https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/about-tkmaxx/corporate-responsibility/environment:

Our approach to single use plastic

We identified a list of the biggest contributors to ocean waste plastic and removed them from all of our stores and offices, including plastic drink bottles, single use carrier bags, straws, plastic cups and non-biodegradable wipes.

To help our customers reduce their carrier bag usage, we offer a variety of bags for life. The price of these includes a donation to Cancer Research UK Kids & Teens.

Since the single use carrier bag charge came into effect in England, Scotland and Wales, we've donated all proceeds to good causes.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 19th Aug 19, 6:50 AM
    • 27,248 Posts
    • 37,910 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    As we don't sell food or the like we, only use recycled carrier bags if customers don't bring their own. Regarding costs in the OP, if the customer wants a very big bag then I don't see any reason why the cost should not be more than an envelope sized one.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 19th Aug 19, 8:14 AM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 4,162 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I carry 2 or 3 fold-up fabric bags in my handbag and a large bag for life (about 5 years old) in the boot of my car for big shops. I can't remember the last time I bought or even accepted a plastic bag for shopping. There is simply no need for them.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Aug 19, 8:17 AM
    • 67,085 Posts
    • 393,347 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It's the Gorm Tax. Those with less pay more.

Take your own bag. Pay nothing.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 19th Aug 19, 8:11 PM
    • 17,638 Posts
    • 13,746 Thanks
    hollydays
    I carry 2 or 3 fold-up fabric bags in my handbag and a large bag for life (about 5 years old) in the boot of my car for big shops. I can't remember the last time I bought or even accepted a plastic bag for shopping. There is simply no need for them.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Yep, is this a man thing,thatís m‚les dont like to do this with carrier bags ?
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 20th Aug 19, 8:55 AM
    • 13,711 Posts
    • 23,302 Thanks
    pulliptears
    I bought one of these a few years ago from Aldi for about a fiver:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KINGSO-Insulated-Protoble-Folding-Collapsible/dp/B073D1FXVT

It's brilliant actually. Carry it around the shop, empty it on the checkout, refill it and go. Obviously no use for a full weekly shop but for everyday items it's great. Collapsible as well so takes up no space in my ridiculously tiny car boot.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• Hermia
    • By Hermia 20th Aug 19, 7:08 PM
    • 4,273 Posts
    • 12,504 Thanks
    Hermia
    Certainly I'm not included in that 'we'.

I can't remember the last time I paid for a plastic bag - of any size.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Me neither. When they bought the charge in I bought a few of the bigger M&S bags and they swap them for a new one free of charge when they get worn out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

905Posts Today

6,190Users online

Martin's Twitter