Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Aug 19, 1:30 PM
    • 9,546Posts
    • 2,554Thanks
    50Twuncle
    "Moving Around" PIP
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:30 PM
    "Moving Around" PIP 16th Aug 19 at 1:30 PM
    How do they decide the distance that you are able to move in the PIP assessment ?
    Do they ask you to try to walk between two markers and time you with a stopwatch /?
    I understand that Dr's letters etc are ignored ......
Page 1
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 16th Aug 19, 3:16 PM
    • 8,567 Posts
    • 18,567 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 16th Aug 19, 3:16 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 3:16 PM
    I have just sent my son's PIP application (he is on indefinite DLA, HRC and HRM). I have included a letter from the Lear ing Disabilities manager that gives details of evidence they have seen regarding his limited mobility during appointments and sessions there. I have also included a report from his physiotherapist, explaining that he could not continue with physio due to the regular pain and the breathlessness and fatigue that he suffered during his short physio appointments. These are consistent with his diagnoses and his previous DLA award, which I have asked the DWP to take into account. I have also explained that he wakes with pain in his joints most days, described how slow he is compared to other people (including my 85 year old mum with heart trouble), and given details of how he is affected afterwards. I included the fact that he has a NHS wheelchair and custom made insoles from the orthotics department at the local hospital.

Obviously I have no idea yet whether any of this will be taken into account.
    • venison
    • By venison 16th Aug 19, 3:56 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 5,164 Thanks
    venison
    • 16th Aug 19, 3:56 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 3:56 PM
    You would not be asked to do a test for this at assessment, although they do make a note of how you walk from the waiting room to the assessment room and mine mentioned different aspects of this, they may also watch you walking when you leave the assessment.
    "You have to wait for all the good things in life, and then they don't last long"
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 16th Aug 19, 4:47 PM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 16th Aug 19, 4:47 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 4:47 PM
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    You understand incorrectly.

However, the DWP decision maker is unlikely to seek medical evidence on your behalf. It is up to you to supply the DWP with relevant evidence. (See the post from kingfisherblue @2 for sensible examples of what to send them).
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • venison
    • By venison 16th Aug 19, 6:57 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 5,164 Thanks
    venison
    • 16th Aug 19, 6:57 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 6:57 PM
    I have just sent my son's PIP application (he is on indefinite DLA, HRC and HRM). I have included a letter from the Lear ing Disabilities manager that gives details of evidence they have seen regarding his limited mobility during appointments and sessions there. I have also included a report from his physiotherapist, explaining that he could not continue with physio due to the regular pain and the breathlessness and fatigue that he suffered during his short physio appointments. These are consistent with his diagnoses and his previous DLA award, which I have asked the DWP to take into account. I have also explained that he wakes with pain in his joints most days, described how slow he is compared to other people (including my 85 year old mum with heart trouble), and given details of how he is affected afterwards. I included the fact that he has a NHS wheelchair and custom made insoles from the orthotics department at the local hospital.

Obviously I have no idea yet whether any of this will be taken into account.
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    Good luck hope it goes ok for him, do let us know.
    "You have to wait for all the good things in life, and then they don't last long"
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Aug 19, 7:02 PM
    • 9,546 Posts
    • 2,554 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:02 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:02 PM
    You would not be asked to do a test for this at assessment, although they do make a note of how you walk from the waiting room to the assessment room and mine mentioned different aspects of this, they may also watch you walking when you leave the assessment.
    Originally posted by venison
    I will be in a wheelchair
    How will they assess me ?
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 16th Aug 19, 7:44 PM
    • 8,567 Posts
    • 18,567 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:44 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:44 PM
    Good luck hope it goes ok for him, do let us know.
    Originally posted by venison

Thank you. I've spent a long time filling it in and gathering (hopefully appropriate) evidence. I've sent in twelve pieces of additional information, but each one relates to the descriptors.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 16th Aug 19, 8:18 PM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 16th Aug 19, 8:18 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 8:18 PM
    Thank you. I've spent a long time filling it in and gathering (hopefully appropriate) evidence. I've sent in twelve pieces of additional information, but each one relates to the descriptors.
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    One advantage of your thorough approach is that at an appeal (which hopefully won't be needed), it becomes so much easier to get the appropriate award.

Good luck, I hope he gets a sensible assessment.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 16th Aug 19, 8:53 PM
    • 8,567 Posts
    • 18,567 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 16th Aug 19, 8:53 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 8:53 PM
    One advantage of your thorough approach is that at an appeal (which hopefully won't be needed), it becomes so much easier to get the appropriate award.

Good luck, I hope he gets a sensible assessment.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt

Thank you.

50Twuncle, the decision maker will take into account what you have written on the form, and any evidence that you have provided. I assume that the assessor will ask you a variety of questions regarding your ability to walk.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 17th Aug 19, 1:59 PM
    • 9,546 Posts
    • 2,554 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Once I receive the paperwork from DWP - How long do I get to return it ?
    Because it may be a good idea to prewarn my GP before hand and get all my docs ready ....?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th Aug 19, 3:31 PM
    • 5,852 Posts
    • 5,405 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Once I receive the paperwork from DWP - How long do I get to return it ?
    Because it may be a good idea to prewarn my GP before hand and get all my docs ready ....?
    Once the form is received you'll need to return it within 1 month but you can ring to request an extra 14 days.

Letters from GP's aren't the best evidence.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 17th Aug 19, 5:30 PM
    • 9,546 Posts
    • 2,554 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Once the form is received you'll need to return it within 1 month but you can ring to request an extra 14 days.
    Letters from GP's aren't the best evidence.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Recorded delivery to return it ??
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th Aug 19, 7:18 PM
    • 5,852 Posts
    • 5,405 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Recorded delivery to return it ??
    No, in my opinion it's a complete waste of time and money.
    Next day delivery doesn't mean anything with DWP because all mail goes through the mail sorting office and someone from Royal mail signs for it. This means that it could be anyway and is not classed as being there until it's added to the computer, which can take 10 working days.

Proof of posting is just as good and free and take the same amount of time to be added to the computer.
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 20th Aug 19, 2:12 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    micky2phones
    How do they decide the distance that you are able to move in the PIP assessment ?
    Do they ask you to try to walk between two markers and time you with a stopwatch /?
    Hi, with me they rushed to the room you follow.

When you get your report back, they have timed you for that walk and how far it was.

IMO i thought walking inside didn't really count as its a lot different to walking outside. uneven pavements, kerbs etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,040Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter