Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 30th Jul 19, 3:49 PM
    • 74Posts
    • 191Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    Money Moral Dilemma: Someone forgot to take their train ticket - should I use it?
    • 30th Jul 19, 3:49 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Someone forgot to take their train ticket - should I use it? 30th Jul 19 at 3:49 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

When I was buying my train ticket, I found someone had accidentally left theirs in the machine. The timestamp showed it was printed a good 20 minutes earlier, so it seemed unlikely they were coming back for it. As the ticket's still valid, would it be wrong to use it and save a bit of cash?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 6th Aug 19, 5:32 PM
    • 3,856 Posts
    • 2,519 Thanks
    glider3560
    Yes and no.

There is a central database, it retains card numbers used to purchase and collect tickets for a period of 6 months. TVMs are not operated by the TOC, they are operated by RDG
    Originally posted by jbkmum
    But what would you do with the card number? Some tickets can also be collected by any card, so you've no idea who bought them. TVMs are operated by TOCs, not RDG.

• JayD
    • By JayD 7th Aug 19, 4:07 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    JayD
    Surely the ticket is out of date by the time you get these replies?
    Originally posted by darleydame

Exactly! So answers here wont be much use to the enquirer.

However, should anyone else be in a similar position, they may consider these responses of some interest and possibly even useful.

Personally, if the ticket was purchased in cash, without a rail discount card, some 20 minutes earlier, I doubt the purchaser would still be about - or at least wouldn't realise their loss until they were already on the train.

Also, unless it was valid beyond that day's date, there would be zero point in the staff holding onto it in the hope of it being claimed.

Still, I guess for you to use it, then it would be theft by finding.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,794Posts Today

5,976Users online

Martin's Twitter