Mobility Car / PIP For my Dad, How to Apply?

Hi, hoping someone can help.

My Dad has recently become disabled due to a brain infection and has ended up cortically blind and in a wheelchair.

He is 78 and my Mother would like to take him out now and again from the nursing home but finding it impossible to do so without transport, just today we tried to book a wheelchair accessible vehicle but was told booked up till the 22nd :(

Any ideas how we can go about getting a car on this motobility scheme? It is getting my Mother really down being stuck in all the time really.

Many thanks

Comments

• Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    New claims for Pip can only be made if the claimant is under retirement age. Your father would need to claim attendance allowance but there is no mobility component and no opportunity to exchange this for a mobility vehicle
  • leew
    leew Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the reply.

I am shocked with that, so he is unable to get out and about? I thought he could be eligible for the mobility part of the PIP even at his age.

Surely there is something out there? Can't believe that.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    leew wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I am shocked with that, so he is unable to get out and about? I thought he could be eligible for the mobility part of the PIP even at his age.

Surely there is something out there? Can't believe that.

The wheelchair accessible hire car? Are there community care offices around who do day trips in mini buses for the elderly?

They will not give someone a motability car for fays our ‘now and again’ from a care home. A hire care seems far more suited to that purpose. If it’s booked til the 22nd ask to book one every Tuesday from the 22nd onwards if that is how your mother would like to operate. Can your mother try and part exchange her existing car for a more accessible one? Wheelchair accessible cars aren’t that much more expensive than typical cars. It’s when they are adapted for wheelchair users to drive it becomes expensive.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    leew wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

As advised, PIP can't be claimed if you're over 65.

Whist there's no mobility part to Attendance Allowance, even if a claim was successful, whether or not payments will be received will depend on whether he's self funding. If not, then this can't be paid. See link. https://www.carehomeselection.co.uk/factsheets/benefits-and-allowances-for-people-living-in-care-homes/
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Would a wheelchair accessible taxi be suitable?

I know there is a shortage of those in many places though. Our local council has now created a directory so people can ring the specific driver direct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure