Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SmarterNotHarder
    • By SmarterNotHarder 26th Feb 17, 9:10 PM
    • 248Posts
    • 1,414Thanks
    SmarterNotHarder
    All change, All change
    • 26th Feb 17, 9:10 PM
    All change, All change 26th Feb 17 at 9:10 PM
    So, some time ago, I got out of debt and set myself a 20,000 house deposit goal. True to life, I got there some years on, only to find that I'm to be made redundant this year, so all thoughts of housebuying went out of the window.

Ok. I have kicked myself for not getting to the goal sooner, as I've frittered away money on life and expensive holidays, but I don't regret that too much. Such is life, indeed it could be a blessing in disguise as now it means I'm not tied to my home area.

(Yes yes, I know, I never was, I could have looked for a job elsewhere anytime I wanted)

So this diary is a bit of a mash up of various things, but in the end I felt it fitted best here (apologies if not, and feel free to move if neccessary).

Of course, the prospect of being out of work, having no debts and no other commitments (live with parents, no kids etc), and having some savings, means that my head has filled it self with exotic travel ideas that simply wouldn't be possible in the parameters of annual leave available from a workplace. I will do *something*, but I intend to plan well for it.

I'm also looking forward to having a few weeks "off". To do nothing. To sleep, to sort the house out properly, as there are loads of jobs that we never get round to as we're all at work and have other priorities at weekends, and spending annual leave sorting it would make me unhappy.

I also live in a UC area, which means I don't think I'm entitled to any benefits when I finish work due to my savings, so I want to find ways of "earning" enough to live on (pay some board to parents even if it's not the same amount and a bit extra for me) without dipping into the savings while I look for a job.

Stuff like temping, ebaying (though I have as yet never sold on there), Cashback sites (I regularly use these to do the parents' insurance, utilies etc - I get to keep the money, they get to save without having to do the legwork, win-win) counts, and I'm sure I'll come up with other things.

I'm also getting on board with being less of a "consumer" and interested in being better to the envioronment, and this fits well with the moneysaving ideals so I may occasionally record achievments and/or failures in that regard here. I need to learn to sew amongst other things.

I also need to get my stuff sorted out, either for travels or for moving for work, so there will be general decluttering, mending etc going on.

So there it is. It's all been going round in my head for a bit, so it's a relief to get it down

Hi there!
Page 2
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 28th May 19, 4:40 PM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 19,320 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hello again SmarterNotHarder, it sounds like you had an amazing time travelling. Have you registered with any temp agencies or thought about doing any volunteering which you mentioned before ? I don't think 6 months is too big a gap these days but if it continues it will be more noticeable.

I think you may need to visit your dr too. Thyroid problems are very debilitating and you may also be struggling with depression.

I know you don't want to use your savings but you may need to if you continue to have no income. I'm glad your parents are understanding about your situation and are supportive. That's what families do for one another and I am sure they appreciated your support in the past. You don't come across as sponging off them so don't worry about what anyone else may think. Are there any support groups in your area for your condition ? Good luck you can turn this around x
    Balance 0% credit card 1360 748
    0% Car Loan 7500 balance to pay 1/10/19 160 1/11/19 160 1/12/19 160 finishes 1/1/2020 140.
    Emergency fund 200
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th May 19, 8:35 PM
    • 14,140 Posts
    • 47,612 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    What a polite young lady you are! I agree with Skinty - I reckon you should ask the dr about support groups and then bombard everyone in the field you are interested in working in with your CV. Give yourself a target - a certain number of letters every day.

If your health is up to it also make sure you walk or do some exercise everyday so you stay happy.
    Christmas Fund 208 No spend month?
    • SmarterNotHarder
    • By SmarterNotHarder 29th May 19, 2:54 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    SmarterNotHarder
    Hello Skint Yet Again,

I haven't yet signed up to temp agencies. I was hoping that the motivation to apply to "proper jobs" would magically appear. I have however, attended my last Jobcentre appointment this morning, so that is something I will be looking into. I have a CV that is quite generic that should do the job for temp agencies.

The doctor has prescribed levothyroxine, and it can take a while to kick in. Some of the symptoms include things like low mood and lack of motivation, fatigue etc so once the medication kicks in, that should help. It seems that I've had symptoms for a while, but being out of any sort of routine for some time has meant I didn't notice/put them down to other factors (well of course my mood is low, I'm stuck at home without a job and without any human interation etc..) so I didn't notice it was anything medical. It was a routine blood test that showed it up.

Thank you so much, I think I needed to hear that. As for the savings, I'm pretty pragmatic about that. I don't *want* to dip into them, but I'm grateful that I have them and I know that not many people have the luxury of wallowing like I have been doing.

Savingwannabe - you've just made my day! I haven't been called a "young lady" in some time (Though I can see how I sound younger than I am) Thank you!

I think you're right about the target, I might start with a weekly one. And I've made it a mission to get out of the house everyday, I've ended up inside all day in my dressing gown even in the most glorious weather recently. Surprisingly enough, those blood tests showed that my vit D levels were also too low. Who would have thought? *rolls eyes at myself*
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 29th May 19, 3:06 PM
    • 14,140 Posts
    • 47,612 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Smarternotharder, you are talking to the grannie- like 48 year old who is sitting here in pjs marking furiously and drinking cups of tea even more determinedly!

In comparison to me everyone is a young person. lol.

Do things gently but try to do something every day. It will take a while for the pills to work but it will be ok in the end. Hope the weather is good by you. It is chucking it down here. Mind you it saves me watering the garden. lol.
    • SmarterNotHarder
    • By SmarterNotHarder 31st May 19, 3:45 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    SmarterNotHarder
    Haha copious cups of tea sound like just the ticket And 48 is decidedly not old! Do you teach?

I'm trying. It's sometimes easier said than done. My head is always buzzing with things I need to do or think about but it rarely manifests in action. It's really frustrating.

The weather is... intermittent round here!I've been cleaning today. That I can do, something that shows I've achieved something, but requires very little in the way of grey matter!
    • thrifty-hayley
    • By thrifty-hayley 31st May 19, 6:11 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    thrifty-hayley
    Hi SmarterNotHarder

Good luck with the job search, I was in a similar position a few months ago. Ended up dipping into my savings but at least I had savings to dip into! Working on building them back up now. I know it feels never ending but hang in there, the perfect job could be right round the corner
    August Grocery challenge 60/50
    Emergency fund: 502/1000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 31st May 19, 7:26 PM
    • 14,140 Posts
    • 47,612 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello well done on cleaning. All you lot are inspiring me to declutter! I teach but only part time (due to ill health) which is why I am here to learn to save money.
    • SmarterNotHarder
    • By SmarterNotHarder 1st Jun 19, 1:02 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    SmarterNotHarder
    Thank you Thrifty-Hayley for your support

And Savingwannabe it's just a very effective procrastination method! It also makes my mum happy so.. She's still working full time and doesn't have the energy to keep the house to her high standards by herself. When I'm working and move out I'll hire a cleaner for her if she'll let me.

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with your health, hopefully going part time is helpful? What do you teach?
    • SmarterNotHarder
    • By SmarterNotHarder 11th Jun 19, 4:02 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    SmarterNotHarder
    So.. one of my friends sent a job advert to me for a company that they knew I would love to work for. I know their processes are really competitive, but thought "what the hell, it'll be good practice", given I haven't really done much in the way of job applications. I still procrastinated, but managed to submit the application with 7 minutes to go before the deadline. This was on Wednesday night.

I got an email from them yesterday inviting me to interview. I have told 2 of my friends, who are alternating between rolling their eyes at me and finding the whole thing hysterically funny. *sigh*
    • SmarterNotHarder
    • By SmarterNotHarder 13th Jun 19, 1:50 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    SmarterNotHarder
    So.. I'm panicking again. I somehow need to impress the interviewers when I can't even impress myself
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Jun 19, 9:49 PM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 19,320 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    so sorry only just seen your message. Relax, take a deep breath, you can do this !!

Admittedly it's a long time since I last applied for a job but my last application it really helped to make a list of your own strengths you have more than you think ! Friendly, enthusiastic, good with people, good communicator, customer focused,well organised, good time management, attention to detail, reliable, hard working, team player also able to work under own initiative. Problem solving skills. I am sure these and many others apply to you !

Be aware of your weaknesses - this makes you a stronger person believe it or not !
    I am not a natural leader - but my strength is I am a team player
    Determination - problem solving can be shared.

Think of some situations where you worked as a team. Also situations where you had to make a difficult decision.

Why do you want this job ? What do you want to get out of the role. What do you know about the company ?

Think of some questions to ask. Responsibilities, promotion prospects they sometimes ask.

Think of something to say if they ask what have you been doing since you returned from travelling. Have some sort of answer prepared. Maybe google what others put for gaps in cv might help.

Sorry if this is just teaching you to suck eggs but concentrate on your positives, keep eye contact and smile. I hope all goes well. Good luck xx
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 13-06-2019 at 9:51 PM.
    Balance 0% credit card 1360 748
    0% Car Loan 7500 balance to pay 1/10/19 160 1/11/19 160 1/12/19 160 finishes 1/1/2020 140.
    Emergency fund 200
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Jun 19, 7:18 PM
    • 14,140 Posts
    • 47,612 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Sorry I didn't reply I haven't been on for a while - I hope you are ok. Believe in yourself, they wouldn't have called you if they didn't think you had a chance.

Look at the person spec for the job and give egs of things you have done that match it. Good luck.
    • SmarterNotHarder
    • By SmarterNotHarder 18th Jun 19, 6:05 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    SmarterNotHarder
    Thank you both for your advice. I've had the interview, I survived! Yay! I think I did ok, but not enough to get the job. It's ok though because now I know that I can at least get an interview and I can practice those!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Jun 19, 3:34 PM
    • 14,140 Posts
    • 47,612 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for the interview. The experience is always useful as you learn something every time even though it is stressful it get's better. I hope.
    • SmarterNotHarder
    • By SmarterNotHarder 28th Jun 19, 2:32 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    SmarterNotHarder
    Well, I didn't get the job. In fairness it would have been a massive fluke if I had got the first job I went for.

Then My brain went for a bit of a wander without me and I've been as much use as a chocloate teapot. I need to get on top of this :/

*sigh*
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 28th Jun 19, 7:00 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Hi Smarter! I'm not sure how I missed your new diary when you started it, but I've been a bit sporadic at coming on here recently.

Sorry about the job But as you said yourself - it's FAB news that you got as far as interview (it sounds like it was very competitive) and have had the interview practice. Have you had any feedback from them (or considered asking for feedback) as to why you didn't get the job? Often the feedback will be completely useless ("there was a stronger candidate") but if they actually give you some constructive criticism then it could really help for future interviews.

How are you getting on with the levothyroxine? Are you feeling any different yet? I assume the GP starts you on a super low dose and then increases it gradually?

I don't mean to pry, and don't answer this if you don't want to, but if you are referring to mental health when you say "my brain went for a wander without me" then have you thought about ways to help with that? Sunshine and exercise (and getting the levothyroxine balance correct!) is always a good start, but also don't disregard stronger help (such as talking therapies or medication) if you need it. I struggled along for sooooo many years before even realising I had a problem and then struggled on for longer again before admitting I couldn't solve it myself!

Big hugs, chin up and go show the world what you can do! You WILL find a job, I promise - even if it can take a frustratingly long time (my husband was unemployed and not entitled to any benefits at all, not even JSA, for almost two years after finishing his PhD and now he's been employed for 5 years in a great job that came about completely by accident and that he didn't even apply for!)
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 7707 / 6,000 (4723.32 is in "offset" pot)
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 7707 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 19,077 / 12,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 403 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 04/09/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Jul 2052
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th Jun 19, 7:18 PM
    • 14,140 Posts
    • 47,612 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Smarternotharder hello petal. What a lovely thing to post on my diary!!!!

You have to stay strong. I think everything that happens to us makes us stronger. The perfect job will come along. You need to focus on believing in yourself and keep applying once health is sorted.

It is so hot. I echo the idea of exercise if your health is up to it. I am usually jogging by now but haven't done any yet. I will start a new keep fit being healthy regime v soon. Maybe if we all take small steps together it will help us all, nothing wrong with a bit of synergy.

Have a lovely weekend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,274Posts Today

6,492Users online

Martin's Twitter