Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Edwardia
    Organic food in supermarkets
    • 10th Oct 12, 5:33 PM
    Organic food in supermarkets 10th Oct 12 at 5:33 PM
    I low carb and went organic in March. My husband doesn't low carb but is enthusiastic about organic. We've been trying lots of things so if you've been wondering whether organic tastes any better here are some reviews.

IMO organic carrots definitely taste better if fresh, especially raw so I'd suggest looking for British. Organic mushrooms can taste really good but not necessarily better than locally grown mushrooms. Small organic cauliflowers used with an organic mature Cheddar make amazing cauliflower cheese. Abel & Cole's organic globe artichokes are way better than the tiny things you see sometimes in Tesco but not as good as French ones. Husband and I think organic green/runner beans are pretty tough. We prefer Birds Eye frozen peas/petit pois to Waitrose organic. There's no discernible difference in taste between organic and non-organic aubergines, bell peppers and romano peppers. Cucumber on the other hand is far better organic as are radishes. There doesn't seem to be any difference between organic and non-organic onions and shallots but some organic spring (salad) onions taste better.

OH says organic Weetabix definitely better than non organic and own brands. He also prefers Whole Earth organic cornflakes to either Sainsbury's Italian organic cornflakes or Kellogg's.

Generally, organic fresh milk tastes better than non-organic unless it;s fresh from a local dairy and please stay well clear of organic milk sold in Lidl. Moo organic UHT is great, better than most other non organic milks fresh or UHT.

Organic teabags from Tesco and Sainsbury's are not as good as Co-op 99 teabags, PG Tips or Sainsbury's Red Label.

Seeds of Change pasta/curry sauces are awesome. Suma tinned carrot and coriander soup is dire, Heinz organic cream of tomato soup tastes about the same.

Cloud Nine organic meatballs from Sainsbury's are really good. Tesco organic diced beef is really dire very tough and Sainsbury's not any better. Mince is mince be it organic or not and Waitrose British veal mince is non-organic but reared on non GMO feed and knocks spots off all beef mince, IMO. Sainsbury's does some very good very tender organic steak and some which isn't it's a bit hit and miss.

Laverstoke Park does great Black Pudding and buffalo burgers. Brescia organic Mozzarella is better than Laverstoke Park's. The lamb scrag in a stew is fantastic. Not sure about the sausages, some OK ones but nothing outstanding yet, not as good as wild boar sausages or Hoad's Korkers.

Duchy Originals from Waitrose organic unsmoked back bacon is fantastic and better than Sainsbury's (which costs the same). Both have nitrates to keep the bacon pink. Laverstoke Park organic unsmoked back bacon tastes great but looks grey. A cheaper alternative to organic back bacon is Helen Browning organic streaky which is very tasty. Organic bacon does taste way better.

Haven't found an organic ham without preservatives yet ! So we buy prosciutto which should be just pork legs and salt. There are usually offers around eg Sainsbury's, Marks and Spencer but if not ASDA and Lidl are cheaper. Some can be frozen, see
    packaging.

There are no baked beans but Heinz organic bajed beans though there are loads of organic baked beans out there.
    Last edited by Edwardia; 10-10-2012 at 6:25 PM.
Page 145
    • psi2244
    • By psi2244 21st May 15, 7:47 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    psi2244
    Are there any frozen veg places that deliver, all ive found so far is goodness direct?
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 21st May 15, 8:48 AM
    • 6,136 Posts
    • 21,107 Thanks
    Kirri
    Are there any frozen veg places that deliver, all ive found so far is goodness direct?
    Originally posted by psi2244
    Ocado have some including organic chips, sweetcorn, peas etc.

I've not seen a dedicated delivery service for frozen organic though.
    • psi2244
    • By psi2244 22nd May 15, 9:47 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    psi2244
    Thanks but peas are probably the most available in supermarkets anyway...was looking for frozen spinach, and others mainly. Goodness Direct seems to have what i want but they charge 9 quid postage. If i bought fresh i would need about 5 + bags a week since i have it most days in omelette and for dinner too.
  • Angel9876
    Hi, I have had my eyes opened to GM and 'free range' food lately, and have found myself freezing in the supermarkets (I have tried waitrose, Tesco, sainsburys and lidl) because I can't work out which meat/eggs I can buy, and whether I can afford it. Anyway, to cut a very long story short I am now wondering whether I can actually afford to buy more ethically.

Can I be cheeky and ask how you meal plan/ where you think the best deals are meat and eggs wise?
    I have a young family - DH, me, and 3 under 6yo. What do you think would be an achievable food budget for a family my size? Previously we were spending between 50-60 on non gm/non free range/non organic food for a week. Can I shop more ethically for not much more than this?
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 23rd May 15, 11:50 PM
    • 6,136 Posts
    • 21,107 Thanks
    Kirri
    ^ Waitrose first thing in the morning is pretty good for reduced items and as they have a good organic range it's often possible to get things, especially veg.

Is it a possibility to grow any veg, herbs, fruit? Saves me a LOT.

Ocado is good for offers, just add things in the basket when on offer and order when you have enough for a min order.

Easy for me to say as I don't eat meat/fish but consider adding in veggie meals or vegan meals as scratch cooking these from veg/pulses is very cheap. i.e. less meat in a week but better quality if you do buy it. Eating meat at every meal is more of a habit..

... Failing that Edwardia is the meat price guru here

I don't meal plan but most meals I do are based around veg/dried pulses/wholefoods so no real need to. I don't have any waste though.

You may find you have less junk by going to organic (depends what type of food you bought before) so you might find that although individually it costs more you may buy less things?
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 25th May 15, 10:49 AM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 5,899 Thanks
    vandanfc
    If you can shop around then bargains can be found. My Aldi has started stocking Organic eggs, I think they were well under 2.00 for 6, so less than than the big supermarkets charge. My Lidl used to stock Organic eggs, but seem to have stopped, but they may be available in other branches. You can also get Organic carrots and bananas at Lidl.
  • Edwardia
    I've been buying organic food since 2012 now so here are a few tips.

1. Work out which supermarkets you can go to without going out of your way, because that costs more in fuel/fares. But if you can call in at say Lidl on the way back from the school run or ASDA when visiting your mum or your partner works next to Tesco, then you can then search www.mysupermarket.co.uk for offers.

2. It's also worth checking prices for non-offer items because even non-offer prices can vary a lot between supermarkets.

3. If your budget is really tight, concentrate first on buying organic for fruit and veg which aren't peeled and do get sprayed a lot eg strawberries. This is a list of heavily sprayed foods in the USA - bear in mind that they are allowed to muck around with food far more there so you don't always need to freak out quite as much over here.

https://www.downtoearth.org/environment/organic-vs-conventional-farming/dirty-dozen-most-heavily-sprayed-foods

4. Reading labels.. you can avoid lots of artificial preservatives, additives etc merely by reading labels. This may not cost more at all.

5. Taste The Difference, Extra Special and other premium ranges are NOT organic (unless also labelled organic) and may be (a) more expensive than organic and yet (b) still sprayed or fed with GM feed, depending on type of product.

6. Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons, ASDA, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose and Ocado all have own label organic ranges.
    Personally I wasn't impressed with Aldi or Morrisons but if you can find the in ASDA and Lidl the quality is pretty good. I;ve found in two Extra stores which I've used, hardly any organic.

Lidl may have organic milk, cheese,eggs, pasta, branded organic yogurt, onions, bananas and carrots. ASDA has milk, leeks, potatoes, carrots, apples, meat plus things like Heinz organic soup, organic Weetabix etc. You'll find some organic things in the Free From section.

Sainsbury's sells more organic food than any other store now and you can get own-brand organic milk, cream, eggs, yogurt, butter, apples, grapes, strawberries, raspberries, rich tea and shortbread biscuits, French dressing, mayonnaise, fresh bread, cornflakes, teabags,nacon, sausages, bananas, onions, garlic, shallots, frozen peas, spinach, rocket, celery, tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, mixed herbs, beef, lamb, chicken, watercress, cucumber, carrots, red onions, shallots, celery, blueberries as well as branded stuff.

Waitrose and Ocado can be cheaper than saisbury's on organic food for some things. The Duchy bacon is fantastic.
    Last edited by Edwardia; 03-06-2015 at 1:03 AM.
  • Edwardia
    Fish.. I buy wild fish, I think it's tastier and it hasn't been fed GM stuff in tanks somewhere in the Far East.

'Sustainably Sourced' often means farmed. Fish by law has to be labelled to show where it comes from so if it's wild fish, it'll say where and how it was caught.

If you're contemplating buying from the fresh fish section (a) don't if it stinks and (b) ask what's wild, because you may find that none of it is ! (Happened to me in Sainsbury's).

Tinned wild fish can be found in 99p Stores and Poundland etc as well as on offer via mysupermarket.

I buy my frozen wild fish and prawns from Iceland mainly, but also from ASDA and Lidl.

Lamb..

New Zealand is a GM free country and because of the climate most of the lamb is grass-pastured - it can taste better than organic.British especially as it is matured for longer. You'll find it in Sainsbury's basic range (fresh or frozen) and own-label, in Tesco, Waitrose, Ocado etc but nowadays not in Lidl.

Frozen veg.. Waitrose does peas, petits pois, oven chips, sweetcorn, mixed veg and I have seen spinach sometimes. Ardo does a huge range of frozen organic, apart from Goodness Direct there's
    http://www.naturalgrocery.co.uk/Frozen/fruit-vegetables NB organic and non organic on same page. You may get other stores near you if you contact Ardo http://www.ardouk.com/products.html
  • Edwardia
    I low carb so I don't buy many organic beans but you can get own brand organic ones in Sainsbury's and Tesco in tins or tetrapaks. Sainsbury's does organic passata and fresh organic pomodoro sauce.

Marks and Spencer.. most of the supermarkets have organic own brand food labelled in a way that once your eyes are accustomed you can pick things out easily. Marks and Spencer does have organic food but it's a nightmare trying to find it, because there's no cohesive range, all the labelling is different.

Prosciutto.. we get warned off processed meats because of the nitrates but if you buy prosciutto (Parma ham) with the gold crown (a) that's the real thing and (b) it doesn't contain nitrates at all. Lidl is the cheapest place but look for offers because even M&S will do a good one occasionally. But if it doesn't have the gold crown it isn't the real thing and may have additives.

Helen Browning bacon and hot dogs are great ditto the pork meatballs but the speedy sausages are dire. The Waitrose organic British beefburgers are nice but the Kezia kangaroo burgers from Iceland IMO are much better. An Aussie friend said they are usually made with culled wild roos rather than farmed. If you find farmed frozen New Zealand venison in Iceland, Aldi or Lidl leap on it because it's GM free and really good. ASDA used to do venison burgers but my local one doesn't have em anymore.

I don't buy from a farmer's market cos we don't have one here but that's another place to look. If you buy supposedly unsprayed veg tht's not labelled organic remember there's no guarantee that it is.

If you can get a reduced price/offer joint for the freexer those are great to roast and use leftovers.

I rarely find yellow stickered organic stuff but I'm never in a supermarket very early or late.

Personally I don't go a bundle on the organic chicken in Sainsbury's and Tesco and think the stuff in Waitrose and Ocado is better. I also prefer the NZ lamb and venison to British organic beef and lamv in Sainsbury's and Tesco as well. I haven't found organic meat in Morrison's or ASDA though they have it on the websites.

I buy organic fruit puree baby food pouches and husband stirs them into natural organic yogurt and also into sparkling water. They don't have any additives and can be stored in a cupboard until needed. The veg only puree pouches can be used heated and stirred into heated creme fraiche as a sauce which is a good way of adding more veg to your diet.

Seeds of Change organic sauces are good and often on special offer. Most of the supermarkets do organic rice and pasta.
    Last edited by Edwardia; 03-06-2015 at 1:02 AM.
  • bornintoit
    Seeds of Change organic sauces are good and often on special offer.
    Originally posted by Edwardia
    I found the Seeds of Change organic curry sauces (350g) in the 99p store the other week. Worth popping in once in a while if you have one near you.
    'Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves'
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 3rd Jun 15, 8:24 AM
    • 6,136 Posts
    • 21,107 Thanks
    Kirri
    Just to add ^ that I am finding local independent organic shops can be cheaper than the supermarkets! Plus they have a far better range - I find the high street supermarkets a bit mainstream.. Ocado and indie shops tend to suit me better. I don't think anyone could do an organic shop in Morrisons or Asda because the range of items is dire!

and a note on the NZ meat, think I read it's all halal (if that is an issue for whoever is buying).
  • Edwardia
    The halal thing seems to be a bit of hysteria whipped up by The Sun. Waitrose told The Huffington Post thal all NZ lamb has to be stunned.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/08/halal-meat-hysteria-new-zealand-lamb_n_5285905.html

Having read the Qu'ran I can say that while the ritual slaughter is the norm, Muslims can pray over food which doesn't otherwise deviate from food laws and make it halal ie pork would always be haraam but if necessary praying over your non-halal slaughtered lamb would make it halal.

Daylesford and Laverstoke Park Farm are two big organic farming operations which have their own abattoir so their animals and poultry are born, raised and killed on the farm.

New Zealand beef and lamb marketing website
    http://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/
    Last edited by Edwardia; 03-06-2015 at 11:59 AM.
  • Edwardia
    Ocado offers from my latest order

Wholegood organic courgettes 20% off now 1.99
    Young's 4 Atlantic cod fillets/4 pink salmon fillets 3 for 10
    Wholegood 3 organic lemons save 20% 1.72
    John West pink salmon 213g can 50% off now 1.50
    Daniel Galvin Jr Organic Head brunette conditioner 25% off now 3
    Wholegood 4 organic oranges save 20% now 1.67
    Bio-tiful Dairy organic kefir 3 x 250ml bottles for 4.50
    Tidesford organic gazpacho 2 for 5
    Wholegood organic strawberries 225g 2 for 5
  • Edwardia
    Ella of Deliciously Ella cookbook fame, took up a challenge for 2 people to eat organic for 7 days on the average UK weekly food budget of 59 and she managed it ! The website gives details of all the food she made and the store cupboard organic items she was allowed. From the photo it seems that she shopped at Sainsbury's.

http://deliciouslyella.com/eating-organic-food-on-a-budget/

If you are interested in the cookbook you may find it cheaper on Amazon. I saved against Waterstone's price.

Rerganic store cupboard things, organic pasta can be cheaper in Lidl.

www.mysupermarket.co.uk helps
    Last edited by Edwardia; 09-06-2015 at 3:10 PM.
  • Edwardia
    Because of the homophobia I've experienced on MSE I've decided to leave once and for all and asked te team to delete my account and posts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

1,798Users online

Martin's Twitter