Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    victory
    Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge
    • 4th Jan 12, 12:15 PM
    Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge 4th Jan 12 at 12:15 PM
    I came up with my own challenge to only buy food that is on whoopsy/yellow sticker, reduced to clear, or half price or BOGO1 etc and already failed

Went to Morries and got loads of sausages/chicken/korma/curries on yellow sticker and their 50p veg pots/carrots etc so that was going o.k until I needed shreddies and cheerios (always buy them when they are 1 or half price but had run out of the stash) all full price so very begrudgingly put the shreddies in for 2.75 and the cheerios were the same price so that was going to be 5.50 just on cereal, made son put it back so back to 2.75 for one pack of shreddies, had already bought the 1 milk from iceland , the half price 60p white bread from morries, so was doing ok really.

It ended up very long looking all the time and hard work

I am off to Asda in a bit to buy their 50p toms in tin and 50p pot noodles in bulk as the noodles have gone up a lot and 50p for a standby quick snack seems very reasonable.

Anyone else just live off yellow stickers and reductions? Care to join the challenge and give hints and tips along the way?
    [QUOTE=misspiggy;51404641]I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory
Page 35
    • flippin36
    • By flippin36 10th Jul 12, 7:35 PM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 6,391 Thanks
    flippin36
    Don't worry Matty I have those nights all the time, stick with it as there is a lot of luck involved, which is why we need to make the most of the good finds
    • Thrifty Sister
    • By Thrifty Sister 15th Jul 12, 8:32 AM
    • 5,820 Posts
    • 95,928 Thanks
    Thrifty Sister
    Had a great Mr A shop on Thursday. Got there just the right time as lovely lady was just marking everything down - some to just pennies of the full cost. Got rump steak, sea bass, fish cakes, yogs, fresh tuna, cheese & then some goodies in the fruit & veg section. Got approx 60 worth of full price and paid just over 11. Freezer is now full again and I can put some more money in the kitty to pay off cc's.
    • matty17r
    • By matty17r 22nd Jul 12, 7:01 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 8,604 Thanks
    matty17r
    How are you all doing with searching out yellow stickers? Had a good haul in morrisons today so much so that the till was saying minus 40p and the poor sa didn't know what to do! I bought lots of things at 9p including packs of grapes, apples, etc which must have triggered off a multi-buy reduction hence the problem. Ended up paying 27p for the following - 4 packs of grapes, two packs of apples, 5 doughnuts, wholemeal french stick and two cartons of tropicana grapefruit juice. Result!
  • Edwardia
    Buying organic is cheap for me, because it takes a lot of trawling to find anything at all I'm not just lobbing stuff in the trolley anymore. Did get some organic YS this week for first time, ASDA organic leeks 1.46 from 1.88 as well as lemons and limes in Sainsburys. Doing OK on special offers though at Sainsbury's mostly.
    • LadyCoupon
    • By LadyCoupon 23rd Jul 12, 4:35 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 5,235 Thanks
    LadyCoupon
    Went in my local Co-op yesterday afternoon, walked past just as the young girl was marking lots of meat down, lucky! I got lots of packs of meat, steak, pork steaks, turkey fillets, got about 25 worth of meat for 7. Had some of the steak for tea last night, was really nice. All the rest is in the freezer.
  • cazj80
    I've got some good bits this last week. It's so good (but bad also) having a Tesco Express less than 5 minutes walk from my house! Some of the bits I got last week were:-

Cooked chicken slices - 50p from 2
    Bean sprouts - 9p
    Quorn ham - 55p
    bag of value pears - 21p
    big punnet of cherry toms - 25p
    Finest white batch bread - 33p
    potato cakes - 10p
    big box of pineapple - 63p
    Paella - 63p
    Chorizo and cheese croquettes - 63p
    double pack of spinach - 33p
    Rooster potatoes - 75p (were 3 for 2, so got 6kg for 1.50)
    big boxes of prepared fruit - 38p
    stir fry packs - 38p
    ready to use noodles - 25p
    cooked chicken chunks - 50p from 2
    cherries - 50p from 2
    oranges - 4 for 33p
    big box of grapes - 49p
    plums - 25p

and lots of other bits. It's been great as it is all the fresh food that is normally more expensive, and because it is so close, I can pop round a couple of times a week and have a variety of fruit
  • Scallycat
    I shop around quite a bit, but my local co-op is an absolute goldmine. Its in a semi rural village, never particularly busy and they reduce quite a bit. I find if I get there around 1-1.30pm they have usually done the second daily markdown.

All the threshold spend coupons apply, and I've even collected the bonus points offers on reduced items.

Asda in town are pretty hopeless. everything is thrown in the cabinet will-nilly and I've been there mid-afternoon to find stuff still reduced by just pennies. However if a member of staff is there they are quite happy to reduce further if you ask.

Tescos used to be OK but they are very busy so now you have to be quite lucky to get anything.
    What's another word for thesaurus?
    • Petlamb
    • By Petlamb 23rd Jul 12, 10:24 PM
    • 872 Posts
    • 2,876 Thanks
    Petlamb
    We managed a decent wee haul today - 10p pizza bases (2pk) and a 35p chicken tikka masala ready meal made for a tasty tikka pizza each for dinner!

17p Organic SS milk
    10p sliced mushrooms
    10p stir fry veg
    14p granary bread
    38p innocent smoothies
    25p ea (x2) benecol buttery spread (the 250g tub normally 2.50!)

eta - oh and some 17p clementines

So a happy bunny.
    On the up
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • Edwardia
    Tesco early evening yesterday.. YS organic watercress spinach and wild rocket, YS organic whole milk 1 pt 39p, pair of black linen/viscose trousers 50% off in sale 6
    • carlyh69
    • By carlyh69 26th Jul 12, 6:19 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    carlyh69
    Mr S tonight

Reduced fat roule 44p
    4 x bakery packs of bagels 39p
    1 x tuna pate 29p
  • kittywight
    Went to co-op this afternoon got:
    Sharwoods indian Chicken tikka wrap kit. 63p was 3.29

And went to a smaller co-op tonight and got:
    4 buffet pork pies 50p was 1.97
    250g grated red leicester 1 was 2.35
    3x individual steak pies 30p was 80p each
    3x Rice crispy choc orange square bars 20p each (not sure how much they were before)

rather pleased with that, even though its not as good as some shops I have done, but its been a VERY long time since I've done a good reduced section, and things are very tight at the moment, so its given me a few extra meals and snacks on the cheap

Xxx
  • Edwardia
    Sainsbury's last night, wasn't finding organic stuff as the dark green label just isn't that noticeable. Asked an assistant, she took my list and found what she could. She noticed that I had organic strawberries in my trolley which were yesterday's date so she reduced them for me from 2.50 to 64p
    • matty17r
    • By matty17r 1st Aug 12, 10:55 AM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 8,604 Thanks
    matty17r
    Got a few yellow stickers in sains last night - 24p living leaves x2 2 lettuces 14p each, donuts 6 for 30p. On sunday got lots of prepared salads in morries at 3.30 for 19p each plus 2 pints of milk x 10 in asda for 30p. Wondered why they hadn't reduced the rest of the stuff by much then heard the sa say they didn't close until 8p.m because of olympics.
  • Edwardia
    Hit Tesco, Waitrose and Sainsbury's Friday. Nothing YS in Tesco but got five packs of Duchy Originals organic lamb leg steaks in Waitrose plus YS chestnut mushrooms and celery. In Sainsbury's got some YS Crazy Jack's organic walnut pieces.
  • smashedsanny
    just started
    I just started YS about 6 weeks ago, due to My pal Allan. who buys nothing but YS,
    as a family of 5( me hubby and 3 daughters 25, 19, 16) I thought we might get lucky now and again, we have had silver side joints reduced from 8 to 4 steaks down to 1 each from 4 chicken 6 big breasts for 2 (and made in too 2 meals ) I have loved reading the thread and was wondering is it just a hit and a miss when you get stuff,
    Allan said he waits till things are reduce more which I have found ok if your buying for one,
    an other time this woman scoffed that they YS are not very good and she waits till there 10p, I would loved to have seen her try the meat was flying off the shelve that day, there was even a couple buying for a resturant, I over heard them say that can be tonights special and tomorrow if any left it can be a pie
    I loved the sugestion about buying breackfast food on line.
    I go to costco to great for loo roll ( with a big family and 2 B/F in tow we go through loads )and washing powder and buy when on a offer, but you do need to know what supermarket has what deals on,
    I want a second freezer so I can store a lot more things,
    Also Hubby works night shift and I make him my own ready meals, so if say we are having sundays roast dinner, I make enought pototos and veg to freeze in small tubs then can add what ever meat is left over from dinners,
    Yesterday YS was a pack of sausages down to 65p for 8 I did a sausage cassarol with some veg that was lurking in the back of the freezer, and a few potatoes, and that made him up 3 meals for work, one he took last night and 2 in the freezer, I used to buy the birdseye frozen meals for him priced about 2.95 per meal.
    Need to go now Morrison has the cook in the bag sauces knor or is it Maggies down to 50p, love using them saves a load of time on the washing up
    • dannodw
    • By dannodw 3rd Oct 12, 9:17 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    dannodw
    In Tescos today some cracking yellow sticker items, including:

Boxes of 10 free range eggs with a use by of the 10/10/12, 2.75 down to 19p, yes 19p. There were around 20 boxes so picked up 3.

Large Pizza Express pizzas, 6.00 down to 1.25, got 2 of them.

Some rib-eye steaks from the fresh butchers section, a variety of prices, 5-7 down to 3-3.50.

Everyday Value garlic bread, 32p down to 4p.

Tesco breakfast muffins, 80p down to 20p.

Loads of other but dont have the receipt to hand. A vast amount of fruit and veg too. Total bill at full price would have been 52, I paid 16!
  • Middy
    Today and yesterday at work - I purchased a pack of lean diced lamb for 1 - was 5.50.

I have 4 packs of lamb in the freezer for making my yummy Moroccan Lamb in the slow cooker. Looking forward to those cold days now.
    • matty17r
    • By matty17r 4th Oct 12, 8:43 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 8,604 Thanks
    matty17r
    I also got 3 boxes of the free range eggs but in our store they were a little bit more expensive at 29p. Must have over ordered or had lots of people using the coupon in the tesco mag for 40p off box of 6.
    • marris
    • By marris 7th Oct 12, 9:11 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 4,704 Thanks
    marris
    went to Mr. T and got

carrots ppr 1.10 down to 0.17
    green beans 1.40 0.22
    chestnut mushrooms 1.50 0.15 got 3
    organic brown onions 1.10 0.15
    stir fry 1.50 0.22
    organic pears 1.80 0.20
    tesco finest poultry gravy 2.00 0.89 had it before and love it.

stooped in co-op and got

mullet corner 0.63 0.15 got 4
    exotic juice drink 1.35 0.35
    copella apple juice 250ml 1.33 0.30 not the best bargain but was thirsty
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,246Posts Today

7,837Users online

Martin's Twitter