Lightweight waterproof jacket for running

Options
New to running after a long lay off, but want a lightweight, waterproof jacket to keep me dry through the autumn/winter

I bought one a few years ago for working outdoors but it wasn’t lined, and had a kind of wax coating on the inside which just made me get hot straight away. Kept me dry but no good for running in

Any recommendations please?

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My trainer was an elite trail/ultra marathon runner before focusing elsewhere, so when I ask for kit recommendations I get top end, but so far everything has been well worth the investment.

I've got an OMM Kamleika jacket - not cheap but a fantastic piece of kit and going strong 2 years in. Just bought a Rab Kinetic Plus jacket which is very similar in feel. They have a factory outlet not far from the M1 in Derbyshire with very good discounts. Not a jacket, but Inov8 race pants feel like the same stuff, and I can run in those comfortably just over underwear.

If you don't mind used, various OMM styles certainly come up on eBay quite a bit. I'd definitely see if you could check out one of these to see what they feel like then go nosy in Sports Direct or somewhere to see if you can find something similar.
  • TomPucci85
    Options
    Decathlon gear is actually great value for something like this. You shouldn't splurge on something with Goretex if you're the super sweaty type, marketing says it's super breathable, but if you're running, things heat up real fast and you might have the same issue with what you've been using.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try go outdoors.
  • paul2louise
    Options
    I got a regatta lightweight waterproof jacket from amazon. I do get quite hot in it but it is waterproof so I make sure I am light on underlayers. It's a lovely sky blue colour
  • jeradon
    jeradon Posts: 89 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a Gore Running jacket. It is waterproof and the material is breathable.
    203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Try a bike shop, I got a waterproof jacket from one 20 years ago and although I no longer cycle, I use it in the summer when out walking.
  • Southernman
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »
    My trainer was an elite trail/ultra marathon runner before focusing elsewhere, so when I ask for kit recommendations I get top end, but so far everything has been well worth the investment.

I've got an OMM Kamleika jacket - not cheap but a fantastic piece of kit and going strong 2 years in. Just bought a Rab Kinetic Plus jacket which is very similar in feel. They have a factory outlet not far from the M1 in Derbyshire with very good discounts. Not a jacket, but Inov8 race pants feel like the same stuff, and I can run in those comfortably just over underwear.

If you don't mind used, various OMM styles certainly come up on eBay quite a bit. I'd definitely see if you could check out one of these to see what they feel like then go nosy in Sports Direct or somewhere to see if you can find something similar.

I also have one of these. Mine is a female version so cut differently. I use it for running in the Autumn/Winter/Spring but also cycle commuting in the summer as it is so light it fits in my rucksack for those unexpected downpours. Same goes for hill walking (there I nothing worse when your waterproof collects sweat inside as it's not remotely breathable)

I've got my money's worth out of it and the hood with drawstring at the back of the head is a god send as it doesn't obstruct vision.
    Mortgage 1: May 2012 £90,000 April 2020: £47,000
    Mortgage 2: £270,000😱 Jan 2019 £253,000 April 2020
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family