PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Sunday 4th March 2018

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The chickens' drinker has been frozen solid and and half buried in snow for the last couple of days, they've had to use a Roses tub instead. They don't seem to like it, they attempt to get to the drinker first then give up and go to the tub. Maybe they don't like the colour blue? lol. They'll be happy today, the snow is almost gone and their water is water again. The snow started to melt as soon as it got light yesterday, the roads (well my road anyway) was clear pretty quickly. We have a flood warning, we're close enough to the river to walk to it if the mood takes us (it never does!) but far enough away that flooding won't affect us.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Love the news story about a man who gave his neighbour a lift when she couldn't get to the shops – he drove her on his tractor and parked it outside Waitrose while she did her shopping :rotfl: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've been all over the place this week (and by that I mean I haven't got much done then needed to do a mad catch-up at the end of the day because I kept stopping to look at the snow out of the windows, lol) so I'm going to sit down with my diary and a couple of notebooks in an attempt to get back to my routine. I want to add some productive time so will go over the last few weeks and shake things up a bit. There's something about sunday mornings that makes me want to organise the week ahead :D[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    :beer:
    Bulletproof
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. Sadly the snow is still piled up here but at least we haven't had any more so that's one good thing! Mr TA is going to attempt to get the car out today but we will have to shift all the snow off the drive first.

I left some cubed braising steak and onions in the sc overnight and it smelled lovely in the kitchen this morning. I have just added some mushrooms, for the last half hour or so, and will then transfer it to a casserole dish to pop in the oven at lunchtime with some dumplings in. Mmm proper comfort food with some mashed potatoes and veg.

I can just see the garden thermometer outside the kitchen window and for the first time in days we have reached the dizzy heights of 0 deg! Not a minus in sight. Not warm enough to melt the snow just yet!

Not a lot planned for today, other than stripping the bed when Mr TA vacates it. That will then be festooned around upstairs to dry. Roll on warmer days when drying outside can resume.

We had a thrush on the front tree yesterday. We never see them in our garden so I guess it had broadened it's foraging area looking for food this harsh weather. It wasn't tempted by the feeders hanging in the tree though. We see them regularly at the caravan site but a rare sight here for some reason.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for all the poorlies, carers, sad, worried or lonely who want them. Take care if out and about in the snow xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Damp morning here atm and rain due at nine and set in for the day, off to work for me day seven in a row and one more to go, I wont know myself on Tues / Wed when I have a day off :D

House is fairly tidy as they had a good clean through yesterday but the beds need stripping and re making today. I have got some mince out and its dd's and boyf's turn to cook tonight so will leave it up to them what to do.

Have a church group in for lunch today up to 20 coming for a roast dunner which will keep me busy and hopefully there will be a few roasties left.

Right better get on have good days all xx
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start Holly.

TA we’ve had field fares in the garden for the first time, they have hovered around the feeders but keep being frightened off by the aggressive blackbirds, the partridges have also paid a visit.
    We still have snow but can see grass now so it’s obviously starting to melt, we are meant to reach the dizzy heights of 5 degrees today!
    Not a lot planned for today, I went to the SM yesterday to restock a bit, the veg especially was looking pretty empty with no-one filling the shelves so guess the lorries have struggled to get through.
    I did pick up a piece of pork belly so that will be our main meal sorted, also splashed out out on some forced rhubarb, bit expensive but really fancy a crumble so that will be our Sunday treat.
    Other than that will be the usual visit to see lovely horse and maybe a walk around the fields with little dog, think we all have a bit of cabin fever.

Have a good day folks and good to hear the better news from your DD Csarina
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

The thaw has started! It'll be a long, slow process but we'll get there.

After yesterday's snow clearing efforts I was in bed and probably asleep by 8.30, feel much better today and my back isn't as bad as I thought.

I'm meeting DD later, she thinks we will walk along the river and go for lunch, I'm not so sure we will be able to but we'll see. Washing up to date and the house is clean and tidy, just the shopping to do but not sure how the supermarket car parks will be, may just walk to Aldi.

I haven't had the log burner lit during this snowy weather, thought I would keep the fuel in case there was a power cut, the heating is doing its job anyway. Next door neighbour's boiler has broken down so I took some electric heaters in for them, they do have a log burner so wont be too bad.

Have a good day whatever you get up to, take care. XX
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and I up enjoying first peaceful cuppas of the day, I'll be getting some porridge in a mo.

Snow is nearly gone here, everywhere is wet mucky mush but at least the snow is going to be gone before the end of the day.

Yesterday we were busier at work than we thought we'd be, but got done what was needed.

Dinner last night was southern fried chicken pieces, posh pizza, salad, chips, coleslaw/pasta salad. Today we'll be having roast pork etc, I'll be organising the pack ups a the same time, and I do need to iron my work blouses which I still haven't done.

We will be visiting the outlaws and my parents this morning also.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    LAINEY we just once had a solitary Fieldfare in the back garden. At the time there was a bush of some sort with red berries on and it sat on the fence all day eating those berries! We were told there was quite a community of them in a village the other side of town so we assumed it had got separated from all it's mates!

Another rare sighting we had was a ring necked parakeet on the birdtable. We couldn't believe our eyes when we spotted this bright green bird shovelling seed down as fast as it could. I read that there are quite a few down south but rarely venture up here. It obviously lost it's way home!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    LAINEY we just once had a solitary Fieldfare in the back garden. At the time there was a bush of some sort with red berries on and it sat on the fence all day eating those berries! We were told there was quite a community of them in a village the other side of town so we assumed it had got separated from all it's mates!

Another rare sighting we had was a ring necked parakeet on the birdtable. We couldn't believe our eyes when we spotted this bright green bird shovelling seed down as fast as it could. I read that there are quite a few down south but rarely venture up here. It obviously lost it's way home!

Guess they are all just finding food where they can at the moment, the family of partridges came in the garden yesterday, such pretty birds and lovely to see a big group of them giving the amount of shoots that go on around here :o
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning, and thanks Holly. It's snowing again here, but it's wet, the temperature is hovering just above freezing..
    I think a thaw is coming, certainly hope so, but there's so much of it to thaw!!

We had an enjoyable night out last night, it was within walking distance, so I went in my wellies, as did loads of others.

We had Dgd for the day yesterday and had great fun in the snow, she loves it. She has never seen this much snow, as she's only 5.

I put some steak and kidney in the sc last night, so that will be our evening meal, with the usual veg. I wasn't out yesterday, apart from last night, and I don't really need to go out today.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday, take care folks
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Another chilly and windy start to the day. The sky is grey so no winter sun to keep the spirits up.

Camelot - didn’t see you on the news. Perhaps that bit wasn’t shown. Mind you the amount of snow in Wales was horrendous, poor souls there being dug out of house. I’ve had my log burner on much more this past week than ever before.

This morning I woke up in the same position I fell asleep in, didn’t move an inch. I was back to being a dormouse again. Now I’m reluctant to leave the ‘nest’.

Yesterday I took liver out of the freezer so will have that with onions and mash. There’s so much in the freezer to use up. The bread I took out the other day wasn’t very nice, I suppose it needs more wrapping than just the plastic bag it comes in.

My sore good knee is much better this morning, thank goodness, The ibuprofen gel really helped too.

I’m not ready to face the challenge of the shower yet, maybe another hour in bed?

Keep warm and snug everyone, happy Sunday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure