PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I get Landlord to Pay Fees?

Options

Comments

• Janets_Daughter
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    New LL may just be very dogmtic and think he has to 'follow the rules' and get the creit check company's OK.

Or he may have a rent guarantee insurance that requires all tenants to pass that particular credit referencing agent's checks.

I understand. It's just really annoying, new places location is spot on and really well kept.

It looks like I'm going to miss out.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have explained the situation to them and they have been very understanding, but they say they must have my most recent landlord.

Ah!

'they'?

So this is a letting agent your are dealing with, not a landlord?

Try to get to the LL.

(£3 here will give you the name [and address?] of the owner of the property)
  • Janets_Daughter
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Ah!

'they'?

So this is a letting agent your are dealing with, not a landlord?

Try to get to the LL.

(£3 here will give you the name [and address?] of the owner of the property)

It is an estate agent, but they say that they have been speaking to the new landlord and they pass on his comments.

I will try to contact him directly. I'm pretty sure he knows though. Old landlord is really sabotaging me, but I'll hand in my notice regardless.
    Thank you
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps the current landlord needs to understand that since his reluctance to give you a reference means you are out of pocket, his rent may be a little late and a little light next month.
  • Janets_Daughter
    Options
    mrginge wrote: »
    Perhaps the current landlord needs to understand that since his reluctance to give you a reference means you are out of pocket, his rent may be a little late and a little light next month.

One of my friends suggested this! Unfortunately, he's the type that retrieves my post from the postbox and turns up at my front door unannounced to say hi. He lives two and a half hours away.

I'm expecting another visit soon.
  • cjmillsnun
    Options
    One of my friends suggested this! Unfortunately, he's the type that retrieves my post from the postbox and turns up at my front door unannounced to say hi. He lives two and a half hours away.

I'm expecting another visit soon.

That isn't "quiet enjoyment of the property", and retrieving your post is illegal.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Janets_Daughter
    Options
    cjmillsnun wrote: »
    That isn't "quiet enjoyment of the property", and retrieving your post is illegal.

Part of the reason I am moving on after only six months...
  • Tyler_Du
    Tyler_Du Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    I assume that the deposit is registered in one of the approved schemes ? If not it could be problematic for the LL.
  • Janets_Daughter
    Options
    I assume that the deposit is registered in one of the approved schemes ? If not it could be problematic for the LL.

Yes, it's registered with "My Deposits" but it was registered late.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, it's registered with "My Deposits" but it was registered late.
    How much is the deposit? The penalty could easily cover the £360 you lose in fees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure