PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 December 2017 at 1:11AM
    Options
    pandamonium We were expected to move between Christmas and New Year 2 years ago. We had to ask for an extra week on the lease as removal companies do not work between Christmas and New Year. The earliest we could get was 6th January.

I have had that problem before years ago our buyer wanted to move in Christmas Eve. I had a toddler and was expecting another in March. No way were we doing it without a remover. We also refused to move New Years day as no removal then either. His furniture arrived Christmas Eve and we moved out in the new year. His furniture was put in the garage.

What a nightmare that was. That was the house where the people we bought from had taken all the sockets and light switches with them and the gas fires. The house did not have central heating. The baby was born on 26th January.

Don't let anyone talk you into a move then there is no one available to sort anything if things go wrong. These days only emergency services and shops work between Christmas and New Year.

By the way DS says he is going to work Boxing Day and New year, that way he will get double time plus days off in lieu which he will keep for our move. Sounds like a good idea.

We have had a day of peace and quiet today the neighbours must have been out I have not heard a thing. DS has not complained about them leaving the baby half an hour before feeding it. For some reason I have not been able to hear the baby since the first few days. He says it is definitely only a few weeks old.

Thanks for telling us about not putting oven Pride on a glass door. If we get this house it has a duel fuel range so I will be selling my electric cooker. It will need a good clean.

monna I am sure you would love to use it for cooking all those mince pies.

Oh another Christmas move. We moved to Anglesey. The house had an Aga, it also ran the central heating. It stopped working about a week before Christmas. We rang the local engineer to come and fix it. He was fully booked into the new year.

He turned up late on 23rd December saying my wife says I'm not to leave you with nothing to cook Christmas dinner with. He then told us it had not been serviced for over 5 years. He knew it could not have been done as he was the only Aga engineer within a 50 mile radius of where he lived on the mainland. He was a lovely man I had it serviced every year I never wanted to be without it again. I'd love an Aga again.

Thinking of you all what ever your problems. Will remember you in my prayers tonight. lots of hugs.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Scottish-themed eating continues - the hospital cafe make *the best* shortbread dipped in chocolate! We set up Striclty on iplayer for dad yesterday evening, last weeks' episode of course, so dad could watch it while sipping a g & t through a straw.
    Talk about dad being a charater, Yep, he was talking about his funeral (because he wants to make sure he gets his own way one last time!), and I said to him I could do with a Pound everytime someone says, 'he was a real characture' and he chuckled with pride in himself :)

We asked his lovely nurse to have a chat with him about a medical worry he had and that seemed to help his thought process regarding the palliative care. They have removed all monitoring equipment atm because, as they said, it is not providing any useful info and is distracting him. They are watching out for any mental distress as well as physical, but he is coping ok.

I'll no doubt say it again but the staff have all been fabulous, from the cleaner to the consultant and everyone in between.

Have had 4 hours sleep and shall be snuggling down again in a mo. It's good to be able to check in here for a few minutes and jot down a few thoughts. Thank you for being there, x
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Oh joy, I seemed to have rejoined the 'awake at silly o'clock club'. Are you awake too Joy?

You'd think a few hours wrangling three year old twins, a dog and a 12 year old would be enough to ensure a good night's sleep wouldn't you.

When I got home CHS had turned an unwanted wine rack into a very useful spice rack, made a box for me to use as combined yarn storage and footstool and made a drawer insert to give me extra work surface.

Rest assured I rewarded him in the way he likes best!

I received a phone call call yesterday offering me half an hour's work and I will earn £50, I didn't think it was possible to earn that much in such a short time and still keep my clothes on. On second thoughts I'm sure the sight of me naked would have lot's of people offering me money to cover myself up.

Anyway, I digress, it's market research on sweets and biscuits and just 10 minutes down the road.

Maybe I'll get free samples, who knows.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No Hester, I was in the land of nod for once. I woke up at 4.44. I did add a m on to that but tablet swiftly corrected me to 4 tram. As I absolutely had not woken up on a number 4 tram I uncorrected it.
    CHS could be very usefully employed down here. He might not get the reward he was expecting though. Would a raw mince pie fill the bill?
    £50 for half an hour? Could you not offer to work for them full time? If you did a 40 hour week that's ...oooh.... £208,000 a year. Easier than taking your clothes off. Which reminds me of when my boys were teenagers and the TV breathed its last. We pondered gloomily about what we could do to replace it and in the end I said that there was nothing else for it, I'd have to sell my body. Eldest thought that was a good idea and we might get enough for a second-hand black and white set.

MMS, I tell you! Your dad will leave with a smile on his face. I will cherish the thought of him sipping G&T through a straw while watching Strictly and issuing orders about his funeral.
    My friend's mum insisted that even if she was in a coma and they had to keep checking to see if she was still breathing, they should play The Archers to her every night because she wanted to know how a particular storyline panned out.

nursemaggie I have AGA envy. Never had one but always hankered after one. Your DS is a gem. Working on Boxing Day and New Year so that he can help with the move is true devotion.

THOUGHT FOR SUNDAY.

You don't HAVE a soul, you ARE a soul. You HAVE a body.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sad to read that you've experienced something that broke the camel's back monna. There's only so much disappointment we can deal with and you've had a house sale fall through and the workhorse of the house give up on you. It's not self pity at all. It's just how we all cope with life's ups and downs... and you knew you had the mince pies to cook while you were sweeping up shards of glass! Broken glass stresses me out I can tell you.

I hope you're doing chipper now monna.
  • monnagran
    Options
    Fuddle, you cannot imagine how ashamed I feel at losing it over something so minor when you think of the real problems people have.

Life goes on and although he doesn't know it yet, Will is going to be spending a large part of the afternoon ferrying mincepies up and down the road in various stages of bakedness. They will also be lending me their food processor as I have also to make enough bread sauce for 70 and the electric grater I bought to make the breadcrumbs doesn't work.
    As a reward for all this help I will be giving him a bag of my washing to put through their washing machine. My gratitude knows no bounds.
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all,
    Mmf, sending hugs and Ivy so sorry to hear about your brother x

Playing catch up ....
    Need another 4 hours in the day at least , nothing changed really ....
    Running daily still , clocked up 80 miles in Nov ... more if poss for Dec , stress levels are already through the roof ...
    Stay safe everyone :)
    £223/ £250 GC
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    My god Hester, they could employ me for research on sweeties. I'm an EXPERT! Imagine eating sweeties and getting paid for it!!!
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Lol Mar I did chuckle when I found out what I.was going to be asked about!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • monnagran
    edited 4 December 2017 at 6:47AM
    Options
    I take it that you have all had a good nights sleep as this thread has been untouched for about 15 hours. I hate it when it slips off the first page, I feel quite insecure when I can't spot it immediately I arrive.

So........6 dozen mince pies made, 4 dozen baked and in tins. 2 dozen gone AWOL but hopefully will find their way home this morning. Just 6 pints of bread sauce to sort out now.
    This morning, my friend who does this with me is picking me up and we are hitting the Cash and Carry. We always have lunch out on these occasions and at this time of the year we go to the Roman Villa because we love the little restaurant there. Can't get near the place in summer for coach parties. The only thing we have to contend with now is the Tinsel and Turkey brigade but they are not so keen on the Villa so we should be OK.

Millie Houdini went walkabout yesterday. Goodness knows how she got out. The only way out is through the kitchen and I was a permanent fixture there yesterday. Whatever, I looked up from the sink and there she was, swaggering through the archway and barking to be let in. My blood ran cold. The village knows her, but there are many visitors to the hotel who don't and I don't know how long she'd been out there.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family