Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• Bootsox
    Bootsox Posts: 171 Forumite
    I tried retirement for 5 months but I was so bored out of my tree I went back to work.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Bootsox wrote: »
    I tried retirement for 5 months but I was so bored out of my tree I went back to work.

Oh dear; that's a shame, I really do feel sorry for you.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Oh how very, very sad Bootsox. I can not imagine anything more heartbreaking.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Just to say Hi to all - I have been reading this thread with interest for some time. I'm not intending to post regularly as my early retirement is somewhat in the horizon - aiming for 55 - that's 8 years to go. Sigh! But at least it's a single figure!

Then the big question is how to finance the years 55-63 before the pension kicks in...

I only have a broad idea that it should be doable IF I can keep going with the same pace as until now and that there are no major changes of circumstances (loss of job, health, etc etc).

Cheers to all those already sipping champagne and checking the weather forecasts for the week on Sundays :)
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    atush wrote: »
    Marine, I am on day 24 of your blog.

Very good, but wish you had added in reviews so I dont have to go over to TA lol? The cryptic comments good and bad are driving me crazy ;)

Glad you are enjoying the blog

Sorry about that - I'm a bit new to the website game so haven't yet worked out how to best make the link but I'll try and get that sorted :-)

It feels like we're coming to the end of the trip and I'm amazed I've actually managed to keep the blog updated (I'm usually pretty lazy about those things!)

For those who've missed it so far and would like to check it out:

http://adventuresinaustria.com/blog/
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Bootsox wrote: »
    gfplux wrote: »
    Oh how very, very sad Bootsox. I can not imagine anything more heartbreaking.

But it's horses for courses. I realise that this thread is for those wanting early retirement, but at least s/he tried it before deciding it wasn't for them.

Being a single person and working for yourself means not a lot spare to hurl at pensions, so early retirement is probably not on the cards unless I sell up. I do enjoy my work mostly - not quite in the I would work for nothing territory, but I've had hobbies before that have been work related - so I'd miss it and the people I work with.

As long as you are happy working, I don't think it's heartbreaking at all.
  • ML, I've been following and enjoying your blog - really admire your sense of adventure and ''get up and go'' :)
  • Marine_life
    Hung up my suit!
    After months of planning (and weeks of enjoying) our trip is over and we are now back home. I'm posting some reflections on what we did and what we might do differently and will also post something on costs in the next few days:

http://adventuresinaustria.com/blog/

Specifically relevant to this thread we've had time to think about our early retirement plan and made some tweaks which I'll share over the coming days.

Happy reading!
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    and do tell if you want to be shunted off to a side forum, I voted against lol as I would never have found you otherwise!
  • Marine_life
    Hung up my suit!
    atush wrote: »
    and do tell if you want to be shunted off to a side forum, I voted against lol as I would never have found you otherwise!

I am happy where I am :-)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback