PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Comments

• Monday

Make do - Food from freezer

Mend - holes in socks, DH undies, fleece & tshirt

Minimise - apple & berry crumble yum yum & laundry basket of clothes dealt with & minimised back into wardrobe & drawers :)

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Had another big declutter yesterday due to having to stay in all day because of the snow. My car boot is completely full of donations and is pretty much all clothes of mine. I have listed some on ebay and some are for rag but I have got rid of about 150 items of clothing, bags, belts, winter accessories and shoes.

When (if ever) I bring out my summer clothes I will be getting rid of anything that doesn't fit properly or that I have several similar of.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Have decided to have a big baking session tomorrow as the weather forecast is pants and I need to minimise my freezer stock of fruit. A few apple pies, apple and blackberry crumbles, a bread pudding to use up the saved crusts etc should clear a bit. Its also been partly triggered by DH who does love a slice of something nice with a cuppa and I'm sure home made will be a bit healthier than stuff with all the various chemicals in it.
    Got a bag of stuff going to the CS - just odds and sods
    Can't think of any mends at the moment though.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 April 2018 at 9:09AM
    Hello chums, well I have been quite busy lately so back to MMMing again:) Topher you are in no way being mean I give freely to my DGC my time ,energy and love as they grow up so quickly , what you are giving them are memories they will have to tell their grandchildren when you are long gone .

I have taught all of my grandchildren to read ,write, tell the time, tie their shoelaces, play draughts,chess, poker and almost any card game I knew .

They can cook enough to feed themselves and know how to use a washing machine and hoover (boys as well as girls ) I have looked after all of them over the past 15 years or so and know their likes and dislikes .I have been very lucky to have beeninvolved in their lives so closely as I was carer for a good few of the seven of them at different times .Now the youngest is 13 and I am still around in his life.

In fact I am sitting in their sitting room drinking a cuppa he just made me :)
    Both his parents are at work and his two older brothers are upstairs. The all know the value of a pound and know how to save for what they want .

By looking after the cash and making sure I get best value for money means I have four week holiday this year One next week with the family and a week in June with my oldest friend and then a fortnight in August again with my family. All of which has been carefully budgetted and saved for. MMM has been with me for most of my life and is second nature to me, but giving time to your children and grandchildren is worth much more than hard cash. I now have a new Gt Grandchild who was born a week ago, and I look forward to being able to give her my time and love as well.its never wasted and is saved well by the recipient :):)

So far this week I have
    Mended: a saucepan lid (the wooden knob fell off and I replaced it with a slightly bigger screw ) :)

Made Do: shopping from the freezer mostly as I am trying to run my fridge down before I go away for a weeks holiday next week.

Minimising: both my freezer stuff and my wool stash as I have been making some memory bells for the Making Miracles charity.These are small bells to hang on your Christmas tree to remember the baby you may have carried but lost I make them in Blue, Pink, and Red and folk can embroider and initial on them afterwards ,very easy to make, takes about an hour for each one, and they will be on our maket stalls in the hospitals and fetes. also fineshed off another baby blanket for the charity as well.

Just about to make my DGS some lunch as I can hear tummy's rumbling already :):)

Have a good day chums

JackieO xxx
  • Since the 2nd of April

Make do - using up food stocks from fridge, freezer, larder & store cupboard

Mend - ornament for cs - DH’s contribution

Minimise - two large bags of donations to cs

Next post will be from France & will be to do with my DSis’s home :rotfl:

Keep up the good work everyone.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Hello All!

Been reading along as usual - you have all been keeping me sane as 2018 has been a more than a little harsh for us so far :(

MiL died end of February, FiL (82) doesn't know which end is up and DH is an only child...... Guess who has ended up with the 'to-do' list..... Still, it has mostly been done although the number of relatives who decided they had a right of input..... :shocked:

So grateful for my MMMing ways - we have managed to continue eating well by defrosting things from the freezer. Managed to convince FiL to gift all unwanted things to charity shop - they came and collected 10 bin bags - 3 of them contained completely brand new stuff! That's besides the stuff we have taken.....

I took full advantage of the Easter veg wars in the supermarkets and did 3 large roasting tins of veg which were portioned up to replace the stocks we used. Our local A!di has started doing the 50% off tape so I managed to get 8 packets of different sausages in this (they are GF) plus a large free range chicken and a few other bits. The chicken was cooked and portioned and the freezers are full again.

I have discovered that M&S do a FANTASTIC range of wheat free/gluten free breads etc so I have been taking advantage of some offers and their yellow stickers to get some stocks built up. I am so happy I have more than 1 freezer!

I have joined a bargain group on fb so I have managed to get a couple of things we have needed a lot cheaper than normal - tefal 5 peice pan set as ours were sooooo goosed for £30 - so the bank balance is not strained - unlike me! :rotfl:

Need to do some sorting out of my clothes. I have successfully minimised me a little (2 dress sizes!), plus I have several work wardrobes (different types of jobs) plus the usual smart and casual :eek: The poles will snap if I don't do it soon...... :o

Keep on MMMing :D
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Morning all hope everyone is well.
    I've been working on my fabric stash this year so far I've made 50 beads of courage bags for the local hospital children's oncology Ward, hoping to get all the drawstrings finished by the weekend so I can take them down. I'm also crocheting blankets for the homeless with wool I haven't got other projects for by using two DK balls at the same time you get a lovely warm blanket I'm making them about single bed size so they use a lot of yarn. I've just started my second of mending pileis up to date and I'm finding now I'm working full time batch cooking is really helping reduce waste
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hello MMMers

Spent this afternoon minimising the old wooden fence and putting up a new metal one, the garden looks so much better :). Will need to make a trip to the tip at some point to get rid of the wood. I also turned over the earth ready for planting which I plan to do at some point this week. I've got onions and potatoes to plant plus my neighbor gave me some gladioli bulbs.

Minimised some past it veg into a yummy stir-fry for tea, heaps left over so that will be tomorrow night's tea as well.

Hope you've all had a good weekend and had some sunshine where you are :D
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mistara - advertise the wood on free cycle - someone will snatch it up for their wood burner and you won't need to do a tip run.
    Still making do with minimising my freezer stocks, they're going down slowly. I have finally finished making my sail cover - I also managed to make a tiller over from the offcuts. Oh a little mend was the foam insoles in a pair of moccasins I wear as slippers that kept ruckling up when I had bare feet - stuck them down with some spray glue - seems to have worked!
    A few jobs on the list to do - clean insides of windows and do some tidying and planting in the garden while the weather is good.
    Have a good day chums
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Well, managed to get the wardrobes sorted over the weekend. They are not groaning quite so much now 2 very large bags are waiting to go to the chairty shop :D

DH has drilled and measured up for shelving in my stock cupboard so we can see what we have. Found a couple of things I thought had been used and a number of things where we have used the newer ones first (doesn't bother me that much as it is mainly rice and tins) so we are hoping to get that finished soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure