International call within the UK to UK.

2»

Comments

• Newell94
    Newell94 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I have no idea? I havent ever been under the impression Ive ever done that even now.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Newell94 wrote: »
    I have no idea? I havent ever been under the impression Ive ever done that even now.

This is your problem, you've made assumptions on something that you have no idea about. Lesson for the future is to ask before, not to assume.

If you log a complaint with O2 they may well offer you a larger discount, but you must understand that this is a goodwill gesture and not something they need to do. Be calm and polite, explain you have now realised your mistake, and hopefully they'll help you out.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    For the future, any number beginning with 00 or + is an international call.

If it explains the charge Your calls to him are sent from the UK to his network in Spain, then back here to Scotland, so there are a few international legs involved.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have just received a £70 phone bill for calling my boyfriend. He is Spanish and his number starts +34. I was charged £70 for making several calls to this number, NEVER being notified that I WAS BEING CHARGED A PREMIUM! - and only tonight checked my phone bill to receive the shock that i was being charged for an international call.

My boyfreind lives in Edinburgh, and I in Fife. For those from England that is like phoning from London to Birmingham and he is using Giffgaff as his service provider over here. I EXPECTED because of this that my FREE calls would be valid as the call is going TO SCOTLAND FROM SCOTLAND and BOTH of us are using UK NETWORKS.

No, you phoned a Spanish mobile that happened to be roaming in the UK. Your call went UK - Spain - UK.
    yes - but for me I dont understand why it is ok for me to not be notified about the charges and then take even more and more as i continue to presume its a free call?

Of course you could find out, it's pretty much common knowledge that phoning a Spanish number will be an international call.

Your networks website will even list the cost of a call to a Spanish mobile if you had bothered to look.

Your call allowance is to call UK landlines or mobiles, there's a clue there as well...

pmduk wrote: »
    For the future, any number beginning with 00 or + is an international call.

Other than +44, of course ;).
    ====
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 March 2018 at 11:20PM
    One overriding principle of the telephone network is that calls are charged based on the digits the caller dialled. In this particular case, you called a Spanish number from the UK and were charged the applicable international rate for calling a Spanish number from the UK. It matters not one bit where in the world that call was eventually answered, you called a Spanish number from the UK while you were in the UK.

However, it is worth noting that because he is roaming outside of his home country, had he instead called you, he would have been charged the same rate as he pays when calling a Spanish landline or mobile number while in Spain. If he has inclusive calls to call Spanish landline and mobile numbers while in Spain, EU roaming regulations mean that while travelling outside Spain and within the EU, that inclusive allowance changes such that it covers calls to all landline and mobile numbers in every EU member state or territory.

This state of affairs does not apply when you call him, because you are not roaming, you are still in your home country.

The reverse would be true if you were both in Spain. You would be able to call Spanish numbers at the same rate as you call UK numbers from the UK, and he would be charged international rates for calling a UK number.

What this does illustrate is that unregulated international calls are charged at extortionate rates. Phone providers are profiteering on these calls way above the wholesale cost of routing and delivering these calls.
  • ossie
    ossie Posts: 354 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Use your data allowance or wifi and call each other via Skype next time!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You have no complaint. When you call a Spanish number beginning with +34 you are making an international call, regardless of where that mobile phone is currently located. So you pay whatever the O2 rate is for calling a Spanish mobile number.

His phone will be roaming on one of the main UK networks, not GiffGaff, so I don't know where this comes from. It would be simple for him to get a UK SIM for his phone. You both should simply know better than to make such a mistake, it's pointless to blame O2.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    eDicky wrote: »
    it's pointless to blame O2.

Yes, but it's so much easier to blame others!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pmduk wrote: »
    Yes, but it's so much easier to blame others!
    As so often. It's strange that the clue is in the words 'international call' used in her own thread title.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport