Overseas Debit Card

Now N&P are closing their current accounts, which is the best debit card to swap to to use overseas (outside europe included)?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Rob321
    Rob321 Posts: 822 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks, I saw that already, but its 12 months out of date, just wanted to know what other people were using or planning to use in the near future when n&p closes their current accounts soon.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Rob321 wrote: »
    Thanks, I saw that already, but its 12 months out of date, just wanted to know what other people were using or planning to use in the near future when n&p closes their current accounts soon.
    Whilst the second article is dated June 2016, the first article is "updated weekly". It says so at the very top! ;)

Indeed, Starling Bank (recommended for worldwide) has only been around a few weeks.

Maybe read the first one again?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I suspect OP was referring to the second one (covering debit cards) which does indeed state that it was last updated in June 2016. That doesn't necessarily make it out of date though, if there are no significant changes to credit and debit card charges since then....

OP, you might wish to read the thread from when this was originally news as various ideas were kicked around then: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5592031

Edit: I now see that the first piece, despite its title, includes debit cards as well!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    just wanted to know what other people were using or planning to use in the near future when n&p closes their current accounts soon.
    I'm already using Starling Bank, the card has been working perfectly in various countries. Transactions appear instantly on the excellent app, with the rate and details updated on settlement a day or two later. Also Monzo, Revolut, Clarity etc.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Rob321
    Rob321 Posts: 822 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    eDicky wrote: »
    I'm already using Starling Bank, the card has been working perfectly in various countries. Transactions appear instantly on the excellent app, with the rate and details updated on settlement a day or two later. Also Monzo, Revolut, Clarity etc.

Unfortunately MasterCard debit cards arent as widely accepted at ATM's throughout the world (particularly in Asia) as Visa, so would be an issue using Starling, Monzo or Revolut.

The Clarity you mentioned is the Halifax Credit Card? If so they charge daily interest on cash withdrawals.

Are there no financial institutions that offer a free Visa Debit Card worldwide withdraw now n&p are closing?
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    a flex plus debit card allows you to withdraw cash abroad without any charges however this is a packaged account - albeit a good one - so may not be for you

however it does also allow you to apply for a select credit card which doesn't charge you anything for Purchases abroad
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Unfortunately MasterCard debit cards arent as widely accepted at ATM's throughout the world (particularly in Asia) as Visa, so would be an issue using Starling, Monzo or Revolut.

The Clarity you mentioned is the Halifax Credit Card? If so they charge daily interest on cash withdrawals.

Are there no financial institutions that offer a free Visa Debit Card worldwide withdraw now n&p are closing?
    In some African countries Visa is accepted and not MasterCard, but in Asia I've never noticed any lack of acceptance, except in China where neither are generally useful.

The only remaining VISA card suitable for overseas is probably the Barclaycard Platinum travel card, which uniquely for a CC does not charge daily interest after a cash withdrawal. The Halifax Clarity does, but it's insignificant if you pay it off asap. The Virgin Money Essential account card (£1.50 overseas atm fee) has been VISA but they are changing to MasterCard.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Now that Virgin Money's debit card is MasterCard rather than Visa does this mean it will attract the slightly better rates?
  • jamie_02
    jamie_02 Posts: 89 Forumite
    When I visited Ecuador I found Mastercard accepted at every ATM and Visa machines were as rare as hen's teeth. Was some years ago so may have changed, but there are countries where MC is more common.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure