What speed limit applies to me?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    There used to be a loophole in taxi regulations, such that 8 passenger seats was neither a car nor a minibus ; and that's why a lot of stretch limos were made with 8 passenger seats.

The notice says 68. Were you actually going a little faster, as shown on your speedometer ; and was it maybe showing over 70 ?

No, he was doing 68 that's why the notice says 68. The over read on the speedo has nothing to do with it.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thought... The vehicle was hired (stated in first post). So would/should the hire paperwork have specified whether this classed as a minibus or not? If it did but the OP didn't realise, the OP is stuck with it. If it doesn't - does the OP have any comeback on the hire co.? (Probably not an actual defence though).
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Thanks to all for their responses & help...sounds like it's a little bit of a grey area!

However, I went to the hire company today who showed me the v5 - it is listed as an MPV Diesel Car.

Therefore it should be the 70mph limit that applies to me on a dual carriageway, not 60mph?
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Thought... The vehicle was hired (stated in first post). So would/should the hire paperwork have specified whether this classed as a minibus or not? If it did but the OP didn't realise, the OP is stuck with it. If it doesn't - does the OP have any comeback on the hire co.? (Probably not an actual defence though).

8 passenger seats + driver is not a minibus. A Tourneo is a passenger vehicle similar to, and sometimes confused with, a Transit van, which is subject to the lower speed limits, that the Tourneo is not.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks to all for their responses & help...sounds like it's a little bit of a grey area!

However, I went to the hire company today who showed me the v5 - it is listed as an MPV Diesel Car.

Therefore it should be the 70mph limit that applies to me on a dual carriageway, not 60mph?

Did you get a copy of the V5?
  • Yes, well I have pictures of it now after visiting the hire centre. I'm led to believe I have to return the form regardless saying I was driving, wait to see what course of action they want to take, and that's what I can challenge / appeal it?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    8 passenger seats + driver is not a minibus. A Tourneo is a passenger vehicle similar to, and sometimes confused with, a Transit van, which is subject to the lower speed limits, that the Tourneo is not.
    An answer to my question - this is not.

However, if the OP now has some evidence that the exact vehicle in which the alleged offence was committed is not subject to the limits applied, he should have grounds to appeal. If it was a ticket generated after a camera caught the alleged offence, I would have thought that it would be checked against the V5 before it was issued. So maybe the issuer is lax - was it a police force, or a Safety Partnership (or whatever else they may be called)?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • NBLondon wrote: »
    An answer to my question - this is not.

However, if the OP now has some evidence that the exact vehicle in which the alleged offence was committed is not subject to the limits applied, he should have grounds to appeal. If it was a ticket generated after a camera caught the alleged offence, I would have thought that it would be checked against the V5 before it was issued. So maybe the issuer is lax - was it a police force, or a Safety Partnership (or whatever else they may be called)?

It was a Go Safe van that "caught me". Yes the V5 specifically states that the vehicle is a "diesel car" so I reckon I have grounds for appeal. i've sent the driver information back and will wait to see what they offer...
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It just needs a letter, with a copy of the V5C, attached to their form, pointing out that the vehicle is a car, and not subject to the lower speed limits.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It just needs a letter, with a copy of the V5C, attached to their form, pointing out that the vehicle is a car, and not subject to the lower speed limits.
    ^This. Send the copy of the V5 along with a covering letter disputing the offence attached to the form.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure