PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage in both names

Options

Comments

• myotai
    myotai Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    Lesson is sort it out asap when one leaves ;)

Ha! Thanks....hoping for it not to happen again :)
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As someone pointed out earlier if you own as joint tenants she gets the whole property in the event of your death. If you own as tenants in common she will get half the property in the event of your death (unless you legally own different percentages). I can't imagine your wife will be very happy to know this so don't leave it 6 more years to sort it.

You didn't have to buy it with her, you could have bought a place in just your name, although it would possibly have needed to be somewhere cheaper. So you were part of this decision and signed all the legal paperwork for the property and paperwork for the loan (mortgate).
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • myotai
    Options
    Not entirely sure what I can do to go anyway sorting it out - now we've more than adequately established what I did wrong that is - I respectfully request we dont linger on this point?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    myotai wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what I can do to go anyway sorting it out

The answer was in the very first reply to your thread. I'm assuming you read it as you 'thanked' G_M for the post.

G_M wrote: »
    2) Apply for a court order forcing the sale. You'll need a solicitor and I assume you'll have to convince a judge you've made all reasonable eforts to find her.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not entirely sure what I can do to go anyway sorting it out - now we've more than adequately established what I did wrong that is - I respectfully request we dont linger on this point?

Do you have any way of contacting her? Facebook (bearing in mind she may have blocked you so search from someone else's who she wouldn't have blocked)? Parents' home address? Friend?

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not entirely sure what I can do to go anyway sorting it out
    Simple.

Track down the joint owner of the property.

If you REALLY, REALLY can't (not just "Well, I haven't got a number for her...") then, as steampowered said on the last page...
    If you genuinely cannot locate her after conducting a proper search, you will be able to apply for a court order allowing the property to be sold. A District Judge has the power to sign the Land Registry forms for her if required.

It would be worth speaking to a property solicitor about this, I think.
    Get your finger out and do some basic legwork. Ask any friends you may have in common. Try to find her or any of her friends or family on FB or other social media. Search 192.com or similar. Might she be or ever have been a company director? If so, try Companies House. Check the electoral roll (the full one, at a main library) for your area, and for adjoining areas, if you think she might still be in the same part of the country. This is the 21st century. People don't just disappear without trace.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You need to do 2 things.

Find the ex.... If dead breathe easy joint tenants it yours.

If alive serve the severance of the joint tenancy to protect any share you have from you dying.

Negotiations begin.

Remember worst case is she moves back into HER house.
    That will please the wife.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Get your finger out and do some basic legwork. Ask any friends you may have in common. Try to find her or any of her friends or family on FB or other social media. Search 192.com or similar. Might she be or ever have been a company director? If so, try Companies House. Check the electoral roll (the full one, at a main library) for your area, and for adjoining areas, if you think she might still be in the same part of the country.
    Or, rather simpler and quicker, just employ a tracing agent to do the legwork for you.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Or, rather simpler and quicker, just employ a tracing agent to do the legwork for you.
    If they're cheap, then they're just doing what you can do yourself easily - probably more easily, as you have a head-start in terms of knowing the names and locations of friends and relatives.

If you draw a dead-end, then it's probably cheaper just to go straight to the court paperwork.
  • myotai
    Options
    Thanks...I have tried. I think she made a completely clean break - I can appreciate that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure