Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Jan 19, 5:51 AM
    • 741Posts
    • 11,009Thanks
    silver-oldie
    O/S Daily Friday 11th January 2019
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:51 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 11th January 2019 11th Jan 19 at 5:51 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Page 1
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Jan 19, 6:03 AM
    • 741 Posts
    • 11,009 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:03 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:03 AM
    Good morning all

Woke at 4 and can't get back to sleep

Snoozer good luck to Steve when he starts his treatment.

Granny dp good news about the baby is doing so well and mummy has got her cuddle.

Bella hope your son is ok

Holly good to hear from you

Nelski why do are mothers treat us the way they do and then we go back again??

Thoughts are with taff, poppy and anyone else finding life difficult

Take care all
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 11th Jan 19, 6:19 AM
    • 3,350 Posts
    • 46,964 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:19 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:19 AM
    Morning everyone

silver-oldie - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly, he needs some brekkie and I'll give him a lift to the gym early. Heating engineer is booked for 9am since the boiler has been serviced when you turn the hot water on the boiler is making a high pitched squeal that we can't get rid of until the boiler goes off on the timer.

Dinner last night was a cheeky takeaway - enjoyed by us all. Tonight will be breaded chicken, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg for the menfolk, I'll have mushroom omeletter and salad.

The training session was ok yesterday and I did get some washing done but not that much so really need to get stuck in today and tomorrow morning.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 11th Jan 19, 6:24 AM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 52,727 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:24 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:24 AM
    Morning All

Thanks for the start SO.
    Pleased that Steve is to start his treatment Snoozer, hope all goes well.
    Glad to hear the baby is doing well dp1.

Went back to swimming yesterday morning, off there again this morning. It wasn't as bad as I had feared!

Popped in to see DD yesterday after work, she is really unwell, still being sick after a week and not eating. She is managing to drink a little but not enough. Hoping she gets a Drs appt today, I can nip out of work to take her, she isn't even well enough to drive.

Did some shopping, thank goodness! My fridge was very white inside!

Hugs to all, take care. XX
    • redruby
    • By redruby 11th Jan 19, 6:59 AM
    • 6,971 Posts
    • 97,981 Thanks
    redruby
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:59 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:59 AM
    Morning all,

Could not get on at all yesterday as I had computer problems I have borrowed dd's old laptop and will need to get mine fixed if only to get the photos off.

I seem to have woken with OH's cold I dont feel rough but my nose is bunged up and yet constantly running !! very annoying.

I need to go and read the thread from yesterday and catch up on your news but I hope everyone is ok x

Something with mince for dinner tonight I might do tacos for a change just need to get some lettuce.

Cleaner coming today so it will be nice tonight, will just need to do some washing.

Right better get on, its Friday !! Yay
    Last edited by redruby; 11-01-2019 at 7:04 AM.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 11th Jan 19, 7:02 AM
    • 10,379 Posts
    • 127,037 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:02 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:02 AM
    Morning all

Busy day planned with accounts, VAT, expenses and alike

Kitchen needs another good sorting, where does 'stuff' come from?

Going to clean the hall as well
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 11th Jan 19, 7:06 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 8,371 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:06 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:06 AM
    :
    Good morning everyone and thanks for the start, silver oldie.

Camelot, I hope your daughter gets some relief from her symptoms. Virtual hugs for taff, Holly and Poppy, and anyone else who isn't feeling well.

I had a very quiet day yesterday, but today I'm going to meet two sewing group friends. The group doesn't get going until next week, so it'll be nice to catch up with everything that has happened over Christmas and New Year.

dp1, how lovely your daughter has at last been able to hold her wee bundle at last . That's a bit of travelling for you every week, but early support is so vital and worth it to share in the joy of those precious early days and weeks. What a wonderful time for the whole family

My own wee granddaughter is doing really well, half a world away, and I'm so looking forward to meeting her when she comes home for a visit with both her parents in early Summer. There's a constant flow of photos in the meantime, and messaging online, which bridges the miles wonderfully well.

I was awake very early, 4.20 thanks to a very vivid nightmare. Too early to tidy up the kitchen! but I did take some hot lemon water back to bed with me and caught up with some online pages.

Friday already, and I hope you can have the best day possible. If you do get down and feel adrift, just remember you can take it as read that your OS friends are sending uplift vibes your way. It only works! xxx
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 11th Jan 19, 7:26 AM
    • 550 Posts
    • 7,687 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:26 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:26 AM
    Good morning all. It seems to be a quiet, dry, mildish morning here.
    I haven't posted for a day or two, been out early the last couple of days, then the day has got away from me.

Glad that Steve is starting treatment Snoozer, hope he'll be all right.

I've got the usual jobs to do today, and I might go to the market. Years ago our little town would be packed on Fridays, people came from outlying areas for the market, but it's a shadow of its former self now. The council rejuvenated the market place, and put the traders' rents up, so that started a decline. We have the cheap shops now as well that we didn't have years ago, so i think that's a factor as well.

Two friends are coming round tonight, and we'll solve the world's problems. If only!!

Thinking of the poorly and sad
    Take care folks
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 11th Jan 19, 7:37 AM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 35,307 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:37 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:37 AM
    Good morning,

Bella I hope your son's pain has eased a bit this morning.

Camelot if she's too ill to drive it might be worth asking for a call out? I hope she gets some help from somewhere.

Holly it's lovely to see your posts and I'm glad you're getting so much support.

Not much happening here - I'm taking it easy in the hopes of getting better quickly. I caught whatever I have from my aunty who has COPD and what seems like a permanent chest infection so luckily it's come without a cold virus. If I stay in as much as possible, use my inhalers and take over the counter decongestants I may not have to resort to the doctor and steroids fingers crossed.

I've made a start on the last hat that I have to knit (for now) and I've also started another trauma teddy. The HT is having chicken, mash, veg and gravy this evening. I'm having curry in the hope that the spices will help with clearing whatever infection I have.

Silver-oldie my mum was so bad that my boyfriend at the time she was at her worst banned me from calling her as she upset me so much every time. Her only interest was herself and her new husband. She died when I was 21 before she could do any more damage to my younger sister and as a parent myself I will never understand her total lack of interest in her children or their lives. Even now my sister says she'd like one last conversation - just to ask her what she thought she was doing..... Big hugs from me, at least you know that you've made every effort.

Take care all of you
    Weight loss 2019 5 lbs
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 11th Jan 19, 7:52 AM
    • 550 Posts
    • 7,687 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    After reading back, I've just popped back to say, good to hear from you Holly!!

Cranky, I too would like one last conversation with my mother, though one wouldn't be enough. Just to talk about why our relationship was not very good. I still sometimes ponder about it. Too late now though.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 11th Jan 19, 8:10 AM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 22,973 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone
    It's cold but dry here today. I stayed in bed as long as I could but eventually had to get up. I weighed myself first thing and I have lost 11lb this week so I am really happy. I know the vast majority of that is water weight but I don't care because my poor legs don't have to lug it around any more.

The kids are still asleep and Steve has gone into work. He came home quite upset yesterday as one of the ladies that works with him was killed crossing a road to get to work in the morning. It was quite shocking as he was only talking about her the day before.

I had a difficult afternoon as well as my 'friend' came to see me and it transpired she was only using me to try and cover her tracks so she could spend the night with the man she is having an affair with. I am upset about it and don't feel able to look her husband in the eye the next time he comes over. Obviously there is a lot of backstory but it left me angry and wondering if there is any friendship left to continue.

I have shopping being delivered this morning and the kids were kind enough to sort out the fridge yesterday so the new food can fit in properly. As a bonus, there was a carton of half fat creme fraiche discovered so dinner tonight is bacon and spinach pasta. There have been quite a few protests at the healthy dinners and general lack of crappy food but they are all plenty old enough to go and buy their own supplies if they want. I am treating myself as an addict and if the food is in the house then I will want to eat it. By severely limiting my choices I will have more chance of success.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• Nelski
    • By Nelski 11th Jan 19, 8:29 AM
    • 12,937 Posts
    • 47,140 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Strange dreams again but at least not nasty ones last night.

Had a good work day yesterday so today is pretty free. Friday tidy essential. May get round to doing a tagine dish today probably a Simon Rimmer one I found. Working tonight so will eat early.

Had a lovely long chat with Holly yesterday and she really is so positive. Think she will be back posting about her trips out and people watching very soon.

Nelski why do are mothers treat us the way they do and then we go back again??
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    Its a good question ...for me its a matter of old fashioned duty I guess. When dad died she became a different person although tbh she has always been difficult but dad took the brunt. I hoped over time she would soften I still hope that now. At the end of the day if I dont go no one would so the guilt would be too too much. You and I just need to man up sometimes and not let them treat us badly

have a lovely Friday everyone
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Jan 19, 8:40 AM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 20,247 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

Happy Friday too!!

Yesterday, after work, I maintained my productivity and done some other bits and bobs before playing football. I then couldn't sleep after, probably because I'm still cooling down from running about in the cold for an hour. Another NSD.

This meant I opted for a longer lie this morning as opposed to the gym. Put a washing on over night and I've got my whites in now. Tonight I'll visit the gym and then I'll back for my overnight stay back with my mum on Saturday, not that I'll need much.

I actually remembered to pull something out from the freezer for tonight, tuna steak, that I'll have with LO veg. Today should be another NSD!

Holly - Great to see you back again and it sounds like your on the mend
    cliffsgirl - No, I've not been to the museum yet. I've actually only ever been in the city centre for nights out or Christmas shopping actually!! I need to rectify that and explore. I'll add it to my list, thanks.
    camelot - Oh dear, DD sounds awfully unwell. Hope you don't catch it and all goes well at the docs
    Scarelt - Funnily enough I was listening to the radio this morning who were discussing that exact topic. The rent for a shop in some small towns was £22k a month, which is something only the big players can afford and so all the small independent shops are moving elsewhere or online!
    Dumpling - You certainly had a day of it yesterday, my goodness! Fingers crossed today and the rest of the weekend is a bit more positive.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Jan 19, 9:02 AM
    • 741 Posts
    • 11,009 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Has anyone heard from Hester ?
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 11th Jan 19, 9:07 AM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 24,876 Thanks
    snoozer
    dumpling, well done on the weight loss. I've lost half that, which I'm happy about. I've got rid of the things that tempt me, normally Steve would be with me on the diet but of course not at the moment so I'm buying things like digestive biscuits for him because I don't like them.

Laura's coming home tonight, she'll be meeting a study partner here tomorrow and then taking Ziggy home on Sunday, we'll miss her but she'll be back in a couple of weeks.
    • Bozwood
    • By Bozwood 11th Jan 19, 9:25 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    Bozwood
    Morning. We were up early dd went to breakfast club and I went to aldi shopping will have to call at Tesco at some point as the fussy cats won’t eat the aldi food I have stocked up on a few things so that’s good. I expect oldest dd to call this morning I am thinking of going to the gym I have been 3 times this week so I think I will give it a miss

I am working later and after school but it’s not as bad on a Friday not that many kids and it’s only till 5-30.
    • bellabella
    • By bellabella 11th Jan 19, 9:35 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    bellabella
    Morning all
    Weather chilly and damp Dolly has been walked and the friday clean needs to be done as loves young dream are returning home tomorrow Operation diamond ring will be in full swing tomorrow as cakes balloons and other bits need to be collected and dropped at various places
    Holly glad to see you back sounds like you are doing well and getting plenty of support
    Dumpling well done on the weight loss and healthy eating
    Camelot hope DD feels a bit better has she tried ice lollies a doctor told me they are a good way to get fluids in without actually drinking so less likely to make you sick
    Right onwards n upwards have a great day whatever you are up to xx
    Having the last laugh
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Jan 19, 10:03 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 17,061 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all
    It's a bit damp out but at least it's not raining now.
    I wrote a long post and lost it . So the main points:-

I have the dental hygienist this morning and my hip is quite painful, so I hope she's in the downstairs surgery today.
    We have to collect Mr Fix It's script this morning too and get it filled in the chemist. I hope it's all available and we don't have to wait until Monday for his cancer meds . I shall ring Dad too before we go out in case he needs any shopping from a nearby Tes*o.
    Tea tonight will be a filled jacket potato as there is some bacon to use up in the fridge.

Right I'm off to fill my face with some painkillers and limp out of the door .

SilverOldie It's not just the Mums who are like that . I asked about Hester too but she seems to be MIA. I hope she and CHS are ok.
    Dumpling well done on the weight loss
    Sending healing vibes to the poorly people, or those having treatment at present and hugs all round to anyone struggling with life in general.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 11th Jan 19, 10:29 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 26,180 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

I am pleased to hear that Steve is going to start his treatment. I hope all goes well.

I was awake in the night. OH got up for the loo and woke me. Could not get back to sleep so came through and made tea, sat reading. Went back to bed and woke at 9.30 oopppsss........

Drs appointment tomorrow with my wrist, shoulder seems to be easing a bit wrist getting worse, kind of balances out.

Lady came yesterday and checked our wills, there are a couple of things we have to do which means rewriting two codicils and getting them signed, needs to be done sooner rather than later We are also going to do lasting powers of attorney at some point in the near future.

I had the mother problem too, is was not just me it affected, it was anybody except her 'special friend'. If you went to see her the first words out of her mouth were 'what have you come for'? Wonderful... did not matter who it was. She ended up in a nursing home with no visitors.

Supper tonight fish and chips, banana something for dessert.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 11th Jan 19, 10:33 AM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 26,772 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Morning all, I'm partway through the Friday Tidy but am somehow not feeling a huge amount of enthusiasm, it can be hard to enthuse yourself about something that you seem to do over and over without anyone noticing. Also DS has bought 83 million pairs of socks which are now reposing in the sitting room while he decides which are suitable and which are not.

Am going to do what I can bear anc then I'm get ton with Trauma Teddies, like CRANKY40.

SO thank you for starting us off and I do sympathise on the mum front.

OH has just made me some tea which is a very good reason to have a break from cleaning.

I've got two daffodil buds, really pleased about that, the remaining bulbs have come up but not near the flowering stage, probably just as well because it is too early.

OL thanks for letting us know that Hester is ok.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

2,529Users online

Martin's Twitter