Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DWhite
    • By DWhite 10th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    • 162Posts
    • 595Thanks
    DWhite
    Best value washing powder
    • 10th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    Best value washing powder 10th Jan 19 at 3:09 PM
    I try not to waste washing detergent and use the supermarket basics powder with just a small amount for each wash.
    Iím just wondering if thatís perhaps the best method? Iím sure the seasoned old stylers will know the best detergents/powders that get the clothes clean, smell nice and arenít expensive? I donít need lots of perfume necessarily but who doesnít like getting into a freshly made bed which also smells nice?
Page 1
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 10th Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    • 10th Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    I use the Lidl Formil liquid. It’s about £2 - £3 for a 21 wash bottle and regularly goes on offer - it’s in offer this weekend actually

It gets the stains out and smells great I’ve used both the non bio and the bio and have no complaints at all!
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 10th Jan 19, 5:36 PM
    • 4,273 Posts
    • 9,372 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 10th Jan 19, 5:36 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 5:36 PM
    Aerial smells nice, but haven't bought that for ages. Aldi is pretty good, currently I have got Tesco's but I just generally get whatever is on offer.
    • pinkladyvenus
    • By pinkladyvenus 10th Jan 19, 8:23 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    pinkladyvenus
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:23 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:23 PM
    I use astonish which has a fabric conditioner built in, I use less than recommended amount and it works well.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
    • Organza_Lace
    • By Organza_Lace 10th Jan 19, 8:46 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 5,294 Thanks
    Organza_Lace
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:46 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:46 PM
    Powder is generally better value than a liquid, tablet or pod.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 10th Jan 19, 8:58 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 3,362 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:58 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:58 PM
    I don't usually have very grubby clothes and use soap nuts on alternative washes. I also use some soda crystals.
    • discat11
    • By discat11 10th Jan 19, 9:13 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    discat11
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:13 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:13 PM
    The lidl and aldi liquids & powders usually do very well in which? tests also.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    • 5,164 Posts
    • 31,797 Thanks
    caronc
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    I'm a "Surf" powder fan, I'm in a soft water area and find around 1/3 of the recommended amount gets the vast majority of stains out at 30C. It's frequently on SO so I never pay full price and the amount I use works out a few pence per wash. For very lightly soiled items that need freshened rather than cleaned I don't add powder as a residue builds up and just pop on the rinse cycle. Saves a bit and also helps stop the machine pipes from getting clogged.

• wort
    • By wort 11th Jan 19, 12:09 AM
    • 963 Posts
    • 11,530 Thanks
    wort
    • 11th Jan 19, 12:09 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 12:09 AM
    Eco egg. And line dry outside for fresh smelling sheets.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • KathCW
    • By KathCW 11th Jan 19, 7:28 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    KathCW
    I use the Lidl Formil liquid. Itís about £2 - £3 for a 21 wash bottle and regularly goes on offer - itís in offer this weekend actually

It gets the stains out and smells great Iíve used both the non bio and the bio and have no complaints at all!
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    I use the Lidl Formil powder, which I find really good - with the help of a bit of Vanish for heavier marks.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 11th Jan 19, 7:37 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 7,638 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Lidl and Aldi detergents are good, think I'm using a Lidl at the moment.
    I've used Wil*kinsons, and Morries own brands, also T*sco and Sains. They seem perfectly ok.
    Our clothes don't get particularly dirty these days, and we don't have young children any more. Clothes just need freshening more than anything.

I'm a messy cook though, so spray grease and other food stains with Sh*ut, I find it works really well, or V*nish solid bar is good as well.
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 11th Jan 19, 10:27 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    I use Aldi's Almat 2in1 powder, the lavender one. It's great, smells good and one box lasts me several months (I don't use the full amount either)
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 11th Jan 19, 11:38 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    We use Morrison's Savers washing powder. £2.75 for 3.33kgs. It's supposed to be for 50 washes but I make it last as long as possible. Currently on 144 washes Have nearly finished the box. I try to make each box last a bit longer than the one before
    Clothes are clean and don't smell horribly like most powders seem to make them these days.
    Last edited by SuperMoose; 11-01-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    Please put out food and water for the birds
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Jan 19, 5:20 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 12,936 Thanks
    Farway
    The lidl and aldi liquids & powders usually do very well in which? tests also.
    Originally posted by discat11
    I'm trying the Lild powder at the moment, but I find it clumps up & not fully dissolving in the loading drawer

I've never had this problem with years of using Surf so can only assume it is L's powder & not my machine
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Jan 19, 6:05 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    coffeehound
    ^ is there any reason not to put it straight into the drum, if its not a prewash programme?
    • Whitterbod
    • By Whitterbod 11th Jan 19, 7:31 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Whitterbod
    hello everyone . i use this from Iceland 100 washes for £5.50

https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/easy-inspirations-tiger-lily-and-lotus-flower-biological-laundry-powder-6-8kg/p/57043
    Thats a good idea thanks muchly..
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 13th Jan 19, 12:07 PM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    This is the one use from Amazon. The last bag lasted me about four months for a family of five with the washing machine on at least every day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01G7CPEY6/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 4th Feb 19, 10:21 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    TripleH
    A tip I learnt when in Oz was to use white vinegar instead of fabric conditioner. It was cheaper (at about £0.50 For a litre from a supermarket 2012 prices) And the clothes smelt fresh and clean when dry, not how you'd expect. Plus going by basic chemistry the vinegar should neutralise the soap residue which helped me having sensitive skin to use the cheaper powders.

Shane i can't getvwhite vinegar in those quantities as easily in thecUK
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 4th Feb 19, 11:30 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    A tip I learnt when in Oz was to use white vinegar instead of fabric conditioner. It was cheaper (at about £0.50 For a litre from a supermarket 2012 prices) And the clothes smelt fresh and clean when dry, not how you'd expect. Plus going by basic chemistry the vinegar should neutralise the soap residue which helped me having sensitive skin to use the cheaper powders.

Shane i can't getvwhite vinegar in those quantities as easily in thecUK
    Originally posted by TripleH
    I use white distilled vinegar with just a little splash of conditioner to give a pleasant scent to the laundry.
    You might be able to find 5 litre bottles of the vinegar at either a Bookers or a Chinese cash & carry
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 5th Feb 19, 2:19 AM
    • 24,329 Posts
    • 27,676 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    To expand on the earlier comment re: Which? they have tested thirty two laundry detergent products. This includes one from Aldi (61%), five Lid (48% to 77%), six Sainsburys (44% to 72%), three Tesco (42% to 68%), no Asda or Morrisons, various branded products.

The four Which? Best Buys are Ariel Original bio powder (73%), Lidl Formil bio powder (77%), Sainsburys bio powder (72%), Persil Small & Mighty bio liquid (71%).

The four Which? Don't Buys are Persil Powercaps non-bio (42%), Sainsburys Concentrated non-bio liquid (44%), Tesco Super Concentrated bio liquid (42%), Waitrose ECOlogical non-bio liquid (36%).

The top two best performing non-bio products are Sainsburys non-bio powder (62%) and Surcare non-bio sensitive powder (62%).

I thought it was really interesting to see how powder (53% to 77%) outperforms liquid (36% to 71%) and capsules (42% to 62%), and how own brands can equal or better the big brands. Thought this might be helpful alongside the MSE Old Style recommendations.
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 05-02-2019 at 2:29 AM.
    Newbie declutterbug. Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,313Posts Today

7,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • 10 ways you should act now to beat April bill shocks - council tax UP, stamp prices UP, TV licence UP, energy bills? https://t.co/WiOWiogCCA

• I have a confession to make... I think I now prefer Young Sheldon to The Big Bang Theory (or at least to the recent series). Am I alone?

• RT @TDHPhotography: Thank you @MartinSLewis After seeing your show on Council tax exemption for severe mental disorders, after a brief batt?

• Follow Martin