Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Anthony S
    • By MSE Anthony S 8th Jan 19, 10:32 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 8Thanks
    MSE Anthony S
    After Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, what else would you veganise?
    • 8th Jan 19, 10:32 AM
    After Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, what else would you veganise? 8th Jan 19 at 10:32 AM
    That's it for this week, but before we go... it’s Veganuary (pronounced vee-gan-uary) where people are encouraged to try eating vegan for the month.

Some restaurants have announced a batch of new vegan-friendly food which has received a rather mixed response. Greggs last week released a vegan sausage roll, McDonald’s has announced a new vegan menu, while Pizza Hut has a new vegan pizza.

Whether you’re vegan or not, what if anything would you like to see veganised? Or what’s the best vegan version you’ve seen or tasted? Let us know below.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-01-2019 at 1:09 PM.
Page 2
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Jan 19, 8:22 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 2,152 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Well, after Greggs bowed to Peta’s demands for a Vegan “sausage” roll I’d like to see them turn there attention to Kentucky Fried Chicken.
    As such I’d like a Vegan ‘12 piece Bargain Bucket’ and maybe a Vegan ‘Boneless banquet’

Imagine being able to support KFC after all these years with a purchase of a Vegan meal
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Jan 19, 8:35 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 2,152 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Looking at the ingredients list it looks about as natural as a Turkey Twizzler..... but as it’s Vegan it’s obviously hyper heathy, good for the planet and supports those huge industrial mega agribusinesses sell a Vegan lifestyle. What’s not to like?
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Jan 19, 8:47 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 2,152 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    The other bit of advice I have is to get on social media. Join vegan groups. You do get the occasional judgemental twerp who might have a go if you want to go vegan
    Originally posted by Maat
    Completely agree..... was subjected to a hater when standing in line at my local McDonalds waiting to order my Vegan meal. Anyone would have thought I was supporting a mega corporation that slaughtered millions of animals a year when in fact I was just buying a heathy, cruelty free, good for the environment Vegan meal.

What do you think?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Jan 19, 9:01 PM
    • 28,213 Posts
    • 60,136 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Imagine being able to support KFC after all these years with a purchase of a Vegan meal
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Possibly a transgression of the Trades Description Act 1968.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 9th Jan 19, 10:48 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 5,216 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    What are your thoughts on this?
    A vegan burger with added beetroot juice so it bleeds when you cut into it, why? A turn off for most?
    I don't even get why vegan food needs to resemble an animal product but fake blood?

https://www.theweek.co.uk/97709/bleeding-vegan-burger-arrives-in-uk-supermarkets
    Originally posted by --Tony--
    Apparently it has a really 'bloody' taste .. not my thing as I have not eaten meat since 3 years old, so have no taste for such things. But I did see somthing on YouTube wher a family tried it. All but the youngest child had eaten meat before becoming vegan while the youngest had been weaned onto a vegan diet, they also had a meat eating relative with them, all agreed it was very realistic and good, except the youngest child who described it (along the lines of) tasting like when you get a nosebleed !
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 10th Jan 19, 6:44 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    K80 Black
    Well, after Greggs bowed to Peta’s demands for a Vegan “sausage” roll I’d like to see them turn there attention to Kentucky Fried Chicken.
    As such I’d like a Vegan ‘12 piece Bargain Bucket’ and maybe a Vegan ‘Boneless banquet’

Originally posted by Mr_Singleton

If you're ever in London, Temple of Seitan (Camden or Hackney) does a vegan fried 'chicken' burger, complete with cheese and mayo. They're fantastic, and my omnivore OH couldn't tell the difference between that and a KFC. I know you're being sarcastic, but others might want some vegan fried 'chicken'!
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Jan 19, 9:01 AM
    • 25,814 Posts
    • 68,289 Thanks
    pollypenny
    This vegan surge is worrying me. I've been vegetarian since I was 11, revulsion not ethics.

I cannot bear the texture and idea of eating flesh. I suspect that non-meat eaters are going to be offered various Quorn-based meals which feel just like flesh. Urgh!

Get imaginative with vegetables!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • a_silver_lining
    • By a_silver_lining 10th Jan 19, 1:13 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    a_silver_lining
    If you live near a Tesco or Asda, their 'own-brand' (it's Scheese in another style of packaging!) hard and soft dairy-free cheeses are really similar to the dairy versions. My favourites are the smoked cheese block - it melts really well for cheese on toast, grates nicely for pizza, and slices well for cheese on crackers Also, the garlic and herbs soft cheese is so similar to something like Boursin I couldn't eat it for the longest time because it's 'too real'

If you're looking for cheap dairy-free milk, Aldi do 59p soy milk and 99p almond milk, I enjoy soy in tea and almond milk on cereal. The cheapest almond milk I've seen is 39p a litre from Poundstretcher, believe it or not! They also have a dairy-free and vegan version of Ferrero Rocher (peanuts not hazelnuts though) and a raspberry or mint dark chocolate bar which tastes like a Bounty in a pack of five for about £1! I get all my vegan/gluten free rice cakes from Home Bargains, plain go nicely with the above cheese and they're only 39p a pack.

That's most of my cheapy vegan hacks How many blogs can I write on it?
    Originally posted by MSE Rhiannon
    Thank you Rhiannon, I've taken a picture of your post and am going to hunt down the cheese and experiment a bit with the milks.

I've found a fantastic fresh baked vegan bread in a health food store in Brighton. It was a little pricey though, and white bread when I normally eat very densely seedy bread. I bought some seedy oatcakes and some rye linseed bread, both high in Omega and things I've eaten a lot of previously, so it shouldn't be hard to cut out toast and load them up with yummy things.

The above wasn't very MSE, but I guess once I've found food I like I can hunt for cheaper.

On the MSE front I bought some vegan soups in tins. I have been eating paninis at work when I forget my lunch, so although the soups were pricey they work out about £3 cheaper a meal! and miles healthier.

I bought some sunflower 'mince' which I am going to try tonight.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    ..... to buy my first home.

900 emergency fund --- Family Loan paid 8231.42/ 10K
    Pay debt by Xmas 2019 #81: 2,231.42/4K
    2019 1% challenge #18= 55.7%
    • a_silver_lining
    • By a_silver_lining 10th Jan 19, 1:21 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    a_silver_lining
    Vegan cheeses can be interesting so it's worth investigating a few different ones to find those you like.

Milk in tea and coffee used to be an issue. Some recommend coconut or oat milk or even nut or oat cream. Oatly's products are fabulous. As well as their cream and a lovely creme fraiche, they do a Barrista version of their oat milk which is supposed to be great in tea and coffee. The other alternative is your plant milk of choice which you heat in the microwave (don't let it boil) before putting it in your drink. That stops it curdling. Like with the cheeses, it's worth trying different ones until you find those you like. Schlagfix do a lovely range of creams and even sets of mini milk cartons you can carry around with you. Soyatoo do really nice squirty cream as well (great on Gaelic coffees). These last two firms can sometimes be found at independent health food stores, although I generally buy them online. I believe a couple of the supermarkets have started doing squirty vegan creams now, though.

Alpro and Swedish Glace do vegan ice creams, while some supermarket ice desserts as well as a few of the Ben & Jerry's range are vegan too. Food Heaven do a gorgeous range of ice creams as well as (I think it's the same brand) a vegan cheesecake (which I once had a whole one of for my dinner!)

It's worth taking a look not just at the Alpro and other vegan yogurts but in supermarkets' 'free from chilled' section (sometimes quite a small section). Tesco do beautiful creme caramels, for instance.

It's also worth perusing the supermarkets' websites as they all have a filter for 'vegan' products. Saves looking at every label.

For anyone wanting to try Veganuary Viva do a great 30 day pledge. I was vegan long before they started this but other people I've recommended it to have found it really helpful: https://30dayvegan.viva.org.uk/

The other bit of advice I have is to get on social media. Join vegan groups. You do get the occasional judgemental twerp who might have a go if you want to go vegan at your own pace (there are jerks in every field of life). But most are like me, who've been in your position and needed help making the transition and so are very willing to help others. I'd be happy to answer any questions on this forum, too, if I can.

As for the original question, I'd make everything vegan too. Fantastic food with a clear conscience. If I have to choose only one, though, I'll go for vegan maltesers. We have every other kind of treat you can think of but not that yet.
    Originally posted by Maat
    Maat, this was a fantastic post really helpful.

I think I'm going to take your advise and try different cheeses, and then I can hunt out the ones I like cheaper. I had a slice of vegan pizza yesterday in town and it was really yummy apart from the cheese, so I think it will take experimentation.

I tried Kelco coconut milk in my coffee this morning and could only drink a third of it. Normal tea I'm happy to cut out and replace with green teas and herbal tea, but I love the odd coffee so I thinK I'm going to try your suggestion of the Oatly barista almond milk next. I don't need it to taste the same as it did, just yummy in its own right.

Taken a picture of your post and I'm going to hunt down your suggestions. Also going to join the 30 day pledge in a couple more days after I have experimented a bit more with replacements admittedly I had cow milk butter this morning as I haven't yet bought new butter in. My partner will use up the old dairy though and may reduce her intake over all.

• a_silver_lining
    • By a_silver_lining 10th Jan 19, 1:26 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    a_silver_lining
    Theres some time artisan cheeses such as Tyne and I think the other is called Nutcrafter. I haven't been fortunate enough to try them yet.

I can't think of what I wish was vegan,probably most things are available its just having access to it or a case of it being launched in this country!?
    Originally posted by K9sandFelines
    Googled the Tyne cheese, it looks amazing!

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Jan 19, 3:50 PM
    • 28,213 Posts
    • 60,136 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I've been vegetarian since I was 11, revulsion not ethics.

I cannot bear the texture and idea of eating flesh. I suspect that non-meat eaters are going to be offered various Quorn-based meals which feel just like flesh. Urgh!
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Ditto moi (although not properly vegetarian until I was an adult) but I support the vegan cause. The less harm, the better.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 10th Jan 19, 4:50 PM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 8,371 Thanks
    MandM90
    Thank you Rhiannon, I've taken a picture of your post and am going to hunt down the cheese and experiment a bit with the milks.

I've found a fantastic fresh baked vegan bread in a health food store in Brighton. It was a little pricey though, and white bread when I normally eat very densely seedy bread. I bought some seedy oatcakes and some rye linseed bread, both high in Omega and things I've eaten a lot of previously, so it shouldn't be hard to cut out toast and load them up with yummy things.

The above wasn't very MSE, but I guess once I've found food I like I can hunt for cheaper.

On the MSE front I bought some vegan soups in tins. I have been eating paninis at work when I forget my lunch, so although the soups were pricey they work out about £3 cheaper a meal! and miles healthier.

I bought some sunflower 'mince' which I am going to try tonight.
    Originally posted by a_silver_lining
    I find most supermarket bread to be vegan anyway!

Sunflower mince sounds intriguing, never heard of it
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • adamandtania
    • By adamandtania 11th Jan 19, 11:20 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    adamandtania
    coleslaw
    I used to love peanut butter and coleslaw sandwiches. Don't laugh, despite sounding weird they really work as the peanut butter is dry and balances the wet coleslaw. The only problem is finding vegan coleslaw which is not sold by any of the supermarkets. Most recipes online call for vegan mayonnaise which is really not the same as the stuff that is used to make the kind of coleslaw sold in Tesco, Waitrose etc. If anyone can let me know where to buy this I would be eternally grateful, and if Tesco are listening I would buy it every week!
    • cod3
    • By cod3 11th Jan 19, 11:52 AM
    • 693 Posts
    • 2,311 Thanks
    cod3
    I used to love peanut butter and coleslaw sandwiches. Don't laugh, despite sounding weird they really work as the peanut butter is dry and balances the wet coleslaw. The only problem is finding vegan coleslaw which is not sold by any of the supermarkets. Most recipes online call for vegan mayonnaise which is really not the same as the stuff that is used to make the kind of coleslaw sold in Tesco, Waitrose etc. If anyone can let me know where to buy this I would be eternally grateful, and if Tesco are listening I would buy it every week!
    Originally posted by adamandtania
    M&S have just launchged a vegan coleslaw as part of their Plant Kitchen range. Very nice it is too!

Aldi is currently selling vegan Hellmann's mayo.

Follow Your Heart vegenaise (my favourite) is available from some Sainsburys and online from The Vegan Kind
    • Maat
    • By Maat 11th Jan 19, 2:40 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    Maat
    [QUOTE=a_silver_lining;75295780]I had cow milk butter this morning as I haven't yet bought new butter in

Darn, the one dairy item I forgot to mention. The whole Pure margarine range is vegan, as is Vitalite. Both can be bought at any supermarket.

I'm glad the previous information was useful and the best of luck with your journey.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 11th Jan 19, 4:28 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    Living proof
    I found a recipe for Vegan Cornish pasty today which mentioned both Vegan margarine and Vegan butter. I have never heard of the latter, could someone enlighten me please?
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Captain Bluebear
    • By Captain Bluebear 11th Jan 19, 5:03 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    Captain Bluebear
    I happened to pop into a different branch of Aldi from my normal one today and found they are selling tins of Jackfruit in water for £1.09.(I literally gasped when I saw it!) A massive saving compared to nearly £3.00 locally. The lady on the till said she'd not seen it before so I'm hoping it's a new product nationally.

I have read and totally understand several of your views on 'substitute' meat. At the moment, I am still 'dabbling' with the idea of going vegetarian/vegan and am grateful for the feeling that I've opened up a whole new avenue of exciting recipes rather than missing out.

Excellent thread OP!
    Thank you!

Blue
    LBM Dec 15 £5,629 paid £2740 in 2016

PAYDBX17 #66 £2889/£2889
    Debt free on 31/10/17!!!
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 11th Jan 19, 5:11 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    Living proof
    [QUOTE=Captain Bluebear;75302586) A massive saving compared to nearly £3.00 locally. The lady on the till said she'd not seen it before so I'm hoping it's a new product nationally.
    Blue[/QUOTE]

If you have a Sainsbury or Morrisons close by they also sell at £1.20 per tin, just in case Aldi runs out.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Captain Bluebear
    • By Captain Bluebear 11th Jan 19, 5:19 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    Captain Bluebear
    If you have a Sainsbury or Morrisons close by they also sell at £1.20 per tin, just in case Aldi runs out.
    Originally posted by Living proof
    Living Proof! Thank you! I had no idea, I'll check them out too.

Blue
    LBM Dec 15 £5,629 paid £2740 in 2016

PAYDBX17 #66 £2889/£2889
    Debt free on 31/10/17!!!
    • Grouchy
    • By Grouchy 11th Jan 19, 5:48 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    Grouchy
    Excellent thread and lots of useful info. I'm vegetarian but always on the lookout for other sound tasty recipies and to eat even less animal products.

One thing I haven't tried yet is Jackfruit. Lots of info (sometimes contradictory!) on the internet - for instance, recipies with, drain pat dry and add to sauce kind of use, to other more complicated options. Does anyone have a tried and tested easy first recipe for say something mexican, enchilladas or burritos? Also, any tips on cooking with jackfruit for a beginner, e.g. the basics of preparation?

Sorry to go back to basics especially when so many here have the Tshirt long ago on this thread

Any help appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

2,040Users online

Martin's Twitter