Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 8th Jan 19, 7:53 AM
    • 453Posts
    • 2,717Thanks
    Si Clist
    Flannelette pillow cases
    • 8th Jan 19, 7:53 AM
    Flannelette pillow cases 8th Jan 19 at 7:53 AM
    Can any kind soul please recommend an online source of good old-fashioned decent-quality flannelette pillow cases? The only shop that sold such things hereabouts closed down ages ago, and we don't want to end up with something off Ebay that we can read a paper through after one wash ...
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
Page 1
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 8th Jan 19, 8:06 AM
    • 8,521 Posts
    • 33,431 Thanks
    ampersand
    • 8th Jan 19, 8:06 AM
    • 8th Jan 19, 8:06 AM
    Sadly no, but my inner radar is always on in charity shops, jumble sales, or at car boot sales:-)

Have you checked John Lewis?
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Tea Pea Dee
    • By Tea Pea Dee 8th Jan 19, 8:12 AM
    • 3,834 Posts
    • 636,455 Thanks
    Tea Pea Dee
    • 8th Jan 19, 8:12 AM
    • 8th Jan 19, 8:12 AM
    https://www.justlinen.co.uk/justlinen/search.asp?q=Flannelette

I have bought a variety of bedding and towels from the above site. I am not madly keen on flannelette, but did buy a Dorma set (sheets and pillowcases). Pillowcases were fine, but the sheet "bobbled" at the foot end. Gave the sheet to a friend as a cover for the car back seat. Her dog loves it

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
    All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 8th Jan 19, 9:45 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 8th Jan 19, 9:45 AM
    • 8th Jan 19, 9:45 AM
    ... Have you checked John Lewis?
    Originally posted by ampersand

Not yet, but will do. Funnily enough, the ones we're using this winter came from a charity shop!
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
    • poorweelass
    • By poorweelass 8th Jan 19, 9:59 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    poorweelass
    • 8th Jan 19, 9:59 AM
    • 8th Jan 19, 9:59 AM
    I bought some 5 years ago from Dunelm and whilst they are in the back bedroom so don't get used constantly, they are used regularly and have washed well
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 8th Jan 19, 6:01 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:01 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:01 PM
    OK, seeing as how it seems to be impossible to use the webmail contact form on the Dunelm site without quoting a valid order number (and just how stupid is that?) - can anybody tell me if what Dunelm call "deluxe brushed cotton" is what I call flannelette?
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 8th Jan 19, 6:05 PM
    • 5,153 Posts
    • 11,702 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:05 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:05 PM
    Yes, I think brushed cotton is another word for what we know as flannelette.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 8th Jan 19, 6:06 PM
    • 5,153 Posts
    • 11,702 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:06 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:06 PM
    https://www.tonystextiles.co.uk/guides/difference-in-materials/index.phtml
    Just for the comparison, not recommending this site at all.

Or this https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4399513
    Last edited by Money maker; 08-01-2019 at 6:07 PM. Reason: Added MSE thread link.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 8th Jan 19, 6:16 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:16 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:16 PM
    Thanks for the very useful link to those comparisons, MM
    • ~ Daisy ~
    • By ~ Daisy ~ 8th Jan 19, 6:22 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    ~ Daisy ~
    Asda sell brushed cotton bedding,
    We have several sets.

Daisy.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jan 19, 6:36 PM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 25,042 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    [QUOTE=Si Clist;75286712]OK, seeing as how it seems to be impossible to use the webmail contact form on the Dunelm site without quoting a valid order number (and just how stupid is that?) - can anybody tell me if what Dunelm call "deluxe brushed cotton" is what I call flannelette?[/QUOTE

I've found the brushed version isn't quite like the flannelette sheets I bought until a few years ago . As someone mentioned the Dorma bottom sheets bobbled , the pillowcases were ok but it's a few years since I've tried Dorma as the quality is lower than I recall .

I used to buy from JL and they are still going strong , however last time I bought them they were lower quality and I returned for a refund . Looking in debenhams and other stores it's a pretty similar picture . Depending on your access to high st stores I'd recommend actually feeling the quality .Next had some decent sheets and pillowcases but they seem to have lowered the quality recently and last time I looked weren't selling the pillowcases although that may have changed .

I believe Dunelm have some better quality which aren't dorma so maybe worth a look if you can get to a store .

I still have some of the sheets from my offsprings childhood beds and they are now in their 30s and 40s . I regret using some of them as ironing board covers and other make do and mend projects .

Good luck and I'll pop back to see if you find the holy grail.

polly
    • IrishRose12
    • By IrishRose12 8th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 1,526 Posts
    • 6,900 Thanks
    IrishRose12
    I bought 2 flannelnette pillow cases just before Christmas from Asda. Think they were labelled as brushed cotton, but definitely flannelnette as that is the only pillowcases I use. They were £3 for 2.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2019 #57 £250/£3,500
    £1 a day challenge 2019 #2 - £51/ £365

The 365 Day Penny Challenge #2 - £100/£650

2019 bag a day declutter challenge - 51/365
    Book challenge 7/20
    • poorweelass
    • By poorweelass 8th Jan 19, 8:24 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    poorweelass
    Am I right in thinking that Dunelm actually now own Dorma???

The bushed cotton I have from dunelm was I think their heavy duty/winter weight one perhaps?? Im not sure but the pillow cases and sheets are pretty thick. My only bug bear is the fitted sheets have shrunk a bit, without using a tumble drier ( I do wash at 60oC though) so I do struggle to get them on. Luckily they are singles so not to difficult
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 9th Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    • 8,521 Posts
    • 33,431 Thanks
    ampersand
    Hope you've now triumphantly hunted'n'gathered, op.
    #
    Remember that flannelette originally was fine wool!
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• jackrabbit123
    • By jackrabbit123 9th Jan 19, 4:53 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    jackrabbit123
    I hoped you've been able to track some down, I'm very lucky I have my Grandmothers stripy flannelette sheets and pillowcases, another thought would be Tkmax if there is one near you as they have a variety of bedding odds and ends, and sometimes the likes of Aldi have them in as 'specials'? Hope this helps.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Jan 19, 5:07 PM
    • 16,642 Posts
    • 142,657 Thanks
    JackieO
    Can any kind soul please recommend an online source of good old-fashioned decent-quality flannelette pillow cases? The only shop that sold such things hereabouts closed down ages ago, and we don't want to end up with something off Ebay that we can read a paper through after one wash ...
    Originally posted by Si Clist
    Dunno how far south east you are but there is a bedding and linen shop in Faversham High Street ,can't remember the name off hand but I usually have a shufti in there when I visit my sis-in-law I bought some huge bath sheets a couple of years ago and they were brilliant and the did lots of sheet and pillow cases.Failing that JL would probably sell them but they maybe pricey of perhaps Dunelm
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2019 January £ 41.45 in total spent this month Feb £38.95 spentMarch food spend so far £24.90
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Jan 19, 5:14 PM
    • 16,642 Posts
    • 142,657 Thanks
    JackieO
    I still have my eldest DDs pink flannelette sheets from when she was two and she is now 51 also the first pair of Dorma's sheets I bought for her when she went into a single bed from her cot so her baby sister could move in

Still in perfect condition and now used on the spare single bed (which was also hers and had been given to me by a neighbours cousin, who had used it for each of her five sons, and it is a cast iron base with latticed work springs with slot in headboards /legs I changed the mattress about 20 years ago but its still the most comfy bed to sleep in.The head board still has some of DDs comic stickers from when she was a little girl It's just too comfortable to throw away
    It's got to be around 80 years old but as good as the day it was made

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2019 January £ 41.45 in total spent this month Feb £38.95 spentMarch food spend so far £24.90
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Jan 19, 5:19 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 29,118 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'm afraid I'd be making a (memorable) picture of myself at the local charity shops & then taking shears & the treadle sewing machine to such finds that merit the name flannelette.

A pillowcase is actually a long rectangle, folded twice with a deliberate "envelope" overlap, so in a nearly perfect world (perfection having ready made pillowcases in a texture colour & price you can appreciate), just two seams.

Though if you are assembling from old pyjamas, rather more.

All the very best with your hunt & may sweet dreams follow.
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 9th Jan 19, 5:27 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    Si Clist
    Well, hopefully we're sorted. None of the shops recommended are at all easy to get to if you don't have a motor car, but at £6 for two pairs from Asda, even I'm quite happy to pay the £2.95 delivery charge, so they should be here by Tuesday latest. Pity they don't do the old candy stripe any more, but mustn't grumble

Thanks for all your help, ladies.

PS Neither of us inherited much in the way of bedding apart from one single woollen blanket which was on my bed when I was a kid, and which my dear mother stole when she was demobbed from the RAF in 1946. Even then the quality was going to the dogs, though - it actually needed darning in one place last year ...
    Last edited by Si Clist; 09-01-2019 at 5:32 PM.
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 9th Jan 19, 5:30 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    Si Clist
    I'm afraid I'd be making a (memorable) picture of myself at the local charity shops & then taking shears & the treadle sewing machine to such finds that merit the name flannelette.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Well, we have the shears and we actually have a choice of three treadle sewing machines all now in perfect working order, but we haven't seen any flannelette in any of the local charity shops for at least a year. Maybe you're beating us to it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

26Posts Today

2,389Users online

Martin's Twitter