Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 6th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    • 20,947Posts
    • 237,634Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 7th January 2019
    • 6th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 7th January 2019 6th Jan 19 at 6:39 PM
    Welcome to the first full thread of 2019.
    It's been lovely to see some newbies already and I'm so pleased to see some familiar faces posting. The thread became very quiet last year which worried me...I, for one, have massively appreciated the support offered by poster here and I know I'm not the only one. Here's to a 2019 with joys and fun and, hopefully less clutter and dirt...

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...
    Manic Monday - Kitchen Kapers

Level 1

Clear sides and wipe down
    Replace what lives there, wiping kettle/toaster etc as you go
    Empty bin and wipe it out
    Wipe sill, sockets, door handles, drawer and cupboard handles and switches
    Clear and clean sink and accessories - wash drainers

Level 2

Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, and along the top/bottom and inside
    Clean hob
    Sort fridge and wipe seals; wash salad boxes etc
    Wipe table/change cloth
    Dust dining area/room

Level 3

Pick a messy cupboard or drawer and clean it out
    Clean oven and hob
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floor

extras
    MAD half hour - if you haven't written your Toots list, write it; if you have written it then look it over and see if you can break down a big job into steps or even cross something off.
    HHI.
    S&S bathroom.
    New month - make sure you have birthday etc cards ready - and stamps - then you are prepared for inclement weather!

Tuesday Toils - reclaim your sitting room/lounge

Level 1

Open the window w-i-d-e even if only for five minutes
    Empty the bin
    Give the sofas and seats the once over - leather wipe or a just-damp cloth to move any marks
    Lift and swap cushions and seat pads - vacuum underneath before replacing any; don't forget crevices and backs
    Rinse and squeeze out the cloth and wipe sockets, switches and door handles
    Ensure electricals are clean - and wipe those remote controllers, too

Level 2

Make sure coffee tables etc are cleared and cleaned before replacing stuff neatly
    Wipe any coasters
    Dust all surfaces - don'[t forget the skirting boards
    Give light fittings a dust, too
    Check ceilings, covings etc for cobwebs - especially if you had a real tree or other living decorations

Level 3

Vacuum the floor moving as much furniture as possible
    Polish the windows
    Plump up cushions
    Make sure that nothing is in here which doesn't live here
    Wipe windows

Extras
    HHI
    MAD half hour - clean out a neglected drawer
    S&S in the kitchen and bathroom
    Join in an HHC - or call one!

Wishy Washy Wednesday Bathroom Blitz

Level 1

Shine the sink
    Clean the loo inside and out - scrub that rim
    Wipe the light pull
    Wash out grimy, gungy toothbrush holders - and is it time to change toothbrushes?

Level 2

Clear the bath and clean it completely
    Clear the shower cubicle/screen
    Waggle a fine bottle brush down the plughole and pull back up to remove trapped hair etc

Level 3

Empty bins
    Wash the windows
    Scrub the floor
    Replace the towels - and put the old ones in the WM for a HOT wash
    Wash out the toothbrush holder
    Polish all taps with a fluffy cloth
    Put a slug of bleach down all plugholes and overflows

Extras

S&S kitchen
    MAD half hour
    HHI

Thursday Thrills - your bedroom should be a relaxing clutter-free space

Level one

Open the window
    Strip the bed
    Fling the sheets etc in the washbasket
    Go and get your breakfast/kids off to school etc

Level 2

Close the window (like you haven't already)
    Dust the headboard or vacuum as appropriate
    remake the bed
    Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe or any other clutter
    (see - looks better already)
    Dust all horizontal surfaces - vertical too, if you have time
    Polish any mirrors

Level Three

Clean the windows
    Vacuum the floor
    Make sure bedside cabinets are clear of clutter
    Use a damp cloth to wipe those lotions and potions
    Make sure you're not using stuff that's been open a long time - products do oxidise/deteriorate over time and in light/heat.

Extras

HHI - don't let it build up (we will gloss over my little heap then) - could do as part of a HHC
    S&S bathroom
    S&S kitchen
    Make some me-time plans - meet up with a friend or get yourself primped and polished

Friday - Kids Room or Guest room

Level 1

Open the windows WIDE
    Strip beds

after a suitable time (eat your breakfast)

Make the bed

Level 2

Dust every single surface - get the kids to sort out what's on them
    Clean the windows
    Check all lighting is functional especially the bedside lamp

Level 3

Vacuum thoroughly
    Sort out a drawer or a cupboard

Extras

S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    make sure the people you love know you love them.
    Last edited by Valli; 10-01-2019 at 9:26 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 3
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 8th Jan 19, 8:02 AM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 57,786 Thanks
    Pollybear
    Morning. Still almost dark here but I've pegged out a load of washing, hopefully today will be drier than yesterday when it drizzled and was dull all day. No other plans yet.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Jan 19, 8:11 AM
    • 20,947 Posts
    • 237,634 Thanks
    Valli
    My day at home. Went downstairs in the night to get a drink and stood on something in the hallway. Barefoot. This despite the fact I got two pairs of slippers for Christmas. Didn't look but made a mental note that something was out of place.

DD up and gone off to Leicester and I went for a coffee. IT WAS A DEADED MOUSE! So why hadn.t DD noticed it and shifted it or alerted me?

I think Piggers was the instigator of Benny Hill because it was a *thing* when I joined Flylady. Some if us have been here a l-o-n-g time...

Anyway in bed atm with my kindle. I shall be calling at least one HHC later...keep your eye on t'thread!

Dreamt about my sister last night. She came to see us. Was lovely to 'see' her.
    Last edited by Valli; 08-01-2019 at 8:15 AM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 8th Jan 19, 8:23 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 3,675 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    I'm at home all morning today so hoping to get some stuff done. Off to a good start so far.

Christmas decorations all down and put away properly
    WM on
    DW on
    Kitchen table and counters cleared
    Pellet stove cleaned and reloaded
    Receipt found for item to be returned

Just having a quick cuppa then want to clear the table (desk) in the living room so I can then use it to go through the admin and paperwork mountain.

See you later for HHC
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 8th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 3,675 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Table in living room cleared and there is nothing in my living room that shouldn't be there. Everything that was dumped on the stairs has been taken upstairs and put away!

Not sure wether to start paperwork mountain or clean living room next

Time for well earned coffee!
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 8th Jan 19, 9:47 AM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 22,057 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Morning all!

I literally skipped out of the school gates this morning! At last! I love my boys, but after two weeks, I was ready for them to go back to school. Soooo much to do that I cant get done when they are here...

One pooch returned to its owner already. WM and TD both trundling and dogs (and cat) fed and watered.

I see it is the lounge today, which is great as it needs doing. I did fling the Hoover round yesterday, but otherwise its grim in there.

So, cup of tea in hand, I shall make a start.

Valli - lovely mid-night discovery for you I had a "deconstructed" mouse on the back doorstep yesterday which was nice.
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 8th Jan 19, 10:09 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 9,638 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Morning all,
    Washing sorted and in airing cupboard, 2 sons decluttered to various places, groceries bought and packed away (oops grapes munched, not many left for the fruit bowl)

Ooh ATB booots used to do a wonderful calamine and glycerin cream that helped my youngest DS when he was absolutely pickled, that or camomile baths (just shove some camomile tea bags in the running bath water) my eldest DS swears it helps soothe his eczema n sore skin.. Hope your DS is on the mend real quick..

About to tackle the hoovering, yet need to visit my Moomin to see what she needs doing!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 2 March GC £0/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Jan 19, 10:10 AM
    • 20,947 Posts
    • 237,634 Thanks
    Valli
    hhc @ 10:30 anyone?
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 8th Jan 19, 10:31 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 3,675 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Go on then Valli, was going to sit down as have just dusted and hoovered living room and hoovered kitchen. Wasn't going to wash or steam floor but will rise to the challenge and do it. Coffee in half an hour then!
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Jan 19, 11:05 AM
    • 20,947 Posts
    • 237,634 Thanks
    Valli
    Merci bien Mam'zelle!

Dusting dans la salon. Mais je n'ai pas fini!

(I hope that says 'but I haven't finished') Going to nettoyer la fenetre toute suite!
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 8th Jan 19, 11:25 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 3,675 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    J'ai fini!

Well i'm done for today. Living room and kitchen floors all steamed and not looking too bad at all if I say so myself. Not done the windows but need to remember to bring window vac back from holiday house to do them. Downstairs actually looking presentable. 2nd load in WM and 1st in TD. Rubbish and recycling all taken out.

Going to work in an hour so going to tidy away steamer once it cools down and have some lunch and think about something for dinner.

Back from work just before 7pm so won't get much done but hope to at least fold and put away the stuff that is in MW/TD, luckily bedding and ski clothes so no ironing
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Jan 19, 11:49 AM
    • 20,947 Posts
    • 237,634 Thanks
    Valli
    this is turning into a spring clean. Not procrastinating because I've got a paperwork mountain to climb honest guv *blush*

just having a break for a and an orange because I have a mountain of fruit because I was Slimmer of the Week *faint*

We have blue skies and sunshine - I love to clean when it's like this!
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 8th Jan 19, 12:57 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 11,183 Thanks
    Fayolle
    I missed the HHC but I was digging at the allotment. Does that count?! I have some fresh spinach which will somehow become dinner tonight, and some leeks which quite frankly are really spring onions. It was a beautiful morning out there.
    I have also finally cleaned the kitchen surfaces, removed crud from the fridge and freezer seals, and made a supreme effort and cleaned the kitchen floor. I was that close to making an excuse not to though.
    Just grabbing a coffee then Iím off to brave Mr M.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 8th Jan 19, 12:59 PM
    • 10,941 Posts
    • 120,315 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Apologies for not posting yesterday - I had a Meet'n'Greet visit with a new client. Result - Bracken, who is a gorgeous dog, big fella from Dogs Trust, will be coming for his holiday in August.

I also have two more Meet'n'Greets this week, Thursday and Saturday, so I shall be a gibbering wreck by the end of the week!

Have done a load of my washing, also hand-washed some place mats that I made out of the cut-off bit when I shortened the kitchen curtains to fit the window.

Mr Wolf has been to his first of six exercise classes at the hospital - these are for Parkinsons patients, with a view to enabling them to remain mobile and functional. So I don't suppose he'll want to do a lot else for the rest of the day.

I do want to steam-clean the bath lift when I get chance, but there's an A-frame full of washing over the bath currently, so it won't be today.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Jan 19, 1:01 PM
    • 20,947 Posts
    • 237,634 Thanks
    Valli
    that's it, living room immaculate.
    window opened while i worked so fresh air enjoyed.

lunch now
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 8th Jan 19, 5:20 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 5,443 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    Shirlgirl well done, what do you do? I used to do dressage, badly, many years ago.
    Originally posted by Narc0lepsy
    I show dogs. I have a 9 month old puppy that won Best !!!!! (female dog) which is the 2nd time in only 3 championship shows. Crufts next!

The OH wants to start competing at carriage driving and DD2 does intro dressage and 2ft sj. DD1 used to sj at decent heights but she gave up riding last year.

Zero flying and not even dailies here today. Left home at 7am to take relative to hospital walk-in clinic. Arrived home at 2 pm in time to see the dogs and then sort the horses. Realised I'd left the key for the stables at the nursing home in my jacket which is 45 minutes plus away. Late to collect DD2 from the station. Will be glad when today is over.

Really wanted to do a HHC never mind maybe next time.
    Last edited by shirlgirl2004; 08-01-2019 at 5:24 PM.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Jan 19, 5:26 PM
    • 20,947 Posts
    • 237,634 Thanks
    Valli
    Have found some GUAG and have cleaned kitchen and bathroom.
    Posted nephew-to-be's birthday card and the PTA lottery licence cheque/invoice (late, as I forgot). Birthday card isn't late though!
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 8th Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    • 5,562 Posts
    • 54,804 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    All decs down and in the attic, with many thanks to OH who basically did all the Christmas decorations this year on his own. Extra bedding needed for extra guests all sorted away to near the attic, so the house is back to normal for the first time since before Christmas. It all feels a bit empty, what with one thing and another. Must start on Mount Washmore; mostly bedding because I cleared everything around New Year.

Been to the dentist and had a filling, so my face feels most odd.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 08-01-2019 at 5:37 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 8th Jan 19, 5:45 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 22,400 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Evening all,

I am really tired, was up all last night with DS. It's been a long time since I was up all night with a child! He seems a bit brighter thankfully but still needs the full week off school as they haven't crusted over yet.

Washing all up to date, just need to put clean laundry away, and DW is about to go on. Have lovely evenings all x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 8th Jan 19, 6:34 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 36,043 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    HHC. Starting now if anyone want to join me?
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    £2 Savers club 2019 20p Savers Club 2019
    BLTW Feb
    2/19
    Pay all your debts by Christmas 2019 #20 paid £100
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 8th Jan 19, 7:19 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 36,043 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    In my HHC I have......

Put the dishes past
    Stuck a load in the WM
    Emptied the winterdyke
    Gave DD her dinner
    Decluttered the coffee and side tables and dusted them ditto the TV unit.

DD packed off to dancing, I'm just having my dinner now and a cuppa with a bit of Harry Potter then I'll do the lunches for tomorrow.
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    £2 Savers club 2019 20p Savers Club 2019
    BLTW Feb
    2/19
    Pay all your debts by Christmas 2019 #20 paid £100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter