Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 6th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    • 20,955Posts
    • 237,702Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 7th January 2019
    • 6th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 7th January 2019 6th Jan 19 at 6:39 PM
    Welcome to the first full thread of 2019.
    It's been lovely to see some newbies already and I'm so pleased to see some familiar faces posting. The thread became very quiet last year which worried me...I, for one, have massively appreciated the support offered by poster here and I know I'm not the only one. Here's to a 2019 with joys and fun and, hopefully less clutter and dirt...

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...
    Manic Monday - Kitchen Kapers

Level 1

Clear sides and wipe down
    Replace what lives there, wiping kettle/toaster etc as you go
    Empty bin and wipe it out
    Wipe sill, sockets, door handles, drawer and cupboard handles and switches
    Clear and clean sink and accessories - wash drainers

Level 2

Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, and along the top/bottom and inside
    Clean hob
    Sort fridge and wipe seals; wash salad boxes etc
    Wipe table/change cloth
    Dust dining area/room

Level 3

Pick a messy cupboard or drawer and clean it out
    Clean oven and hob
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floor

extras
    MAD half hour - if you haven't written your Toots list, write it; if you have written it then look it over and see if you can break down a big job into steps or even cross something off.
    HHI.
    S&S bathroom.
    New month - make sure you have birthday etc cards ready - and stamps - then you are prepared for inclement weather!

Tuesday Toils - reclaim your sitting room/lounge

Level 1

Open the window w-i-d-e even if only for five minutes
    Empty the bin
    Give the sofas and seats the once over - leather wipe or a just-damp cloth to move any marks
    Lift and swap cushions and seat pads - vacuum underneath before replacing any; don't forget crevices and backs
    Rinse and squeeze out the cloth and wipe sockets, switches and door handles
    Ensure electricals are clean - and wipe those remote controllers, too

Level 2

Make sure coffee tables etc are cleared and cleaned before replacing stuff neatly
    Wipe any coasters
    Dust all surfaces - don'[t forget the skirting boards
    Give light fittings a dust, too
    Check ceilings, covings etc for cobwebs - especially if you had a real tree or other living decorations

Level 3

Vacuum the floor moving as much furniture as possible
    Polish the windows
    Plump up cushions
    Make sure that nothing is in here which doesn't live here
    Wipe windows

Extras
    HHI
    MAD half hour - clean out a neglected drawer
    S&S in the kitchen and bathroom
    Join in an HHC - or call one!

Wishy Washy Wednesday Bathroom Blitz

Level 1

Shine the sink
    Clean the loo inside and out - scrub that rim
    Wipe the light pull
    Wash out grimy, gungy toothbrush holders - and is it time to change toothbrushes?

Level 2

Clear the bath and clean it completely
    Clear the shower cubicle/screen
    Waggle a fine bottle brush down the plughole and pull back up to remove trapped hair etc

Level 3

Empty bins
    Wash the windows
    Scrub the floor
    Replace the towels - and put the old ones in the WM for a HOT wash
    Wash out the toothbrush holder
    Polish all taps with a fluffy cloth
    Put a slug of bleach down all plugholes and overflows

Extras

S&S kitchen
    MAD half hour
    HHI

Thursday Thrills - your bedroom should be a relaxing clutter-free space

Level one

Open the window
    Strip the bed
    Fling the sheets etc in the washbasket
    Go and get your breakfast/kids off to school etc

Level 2

Close the window (like you haven't already)
    Dust the headboard or vacuum as appropriate
    remake the bed
    Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe or any other clutter
    (see - looks better already)
    Dust all horizontal surfaces - vertical too, if you have time
    Polish any mirrors

Level Three

Clean the windows
    Vacuum the floor
    Make sure bedside cabinets are clear of clutter
    Use a damp cloth to wipe those lotions and potions
    Make sure you're not using stuff that's been open a long time - products do oxidise/deteriorate over time and in light/heat.

Extras

HHI - don't let it build up (we will gloss over my little heap then) - could do as part of a HHC
    S&S bathroom
    S&S kitchen
    Make some me-time plans - meet up with a friend or get yourself primped and polished

Friday - Kids Room or Guest room

Level 1

Open the windows WIDE
    Strip beds

after a suitable time (eat your breakfast)

Make the bed

Level 2

Dust every single surface - get the kids to sort out what's on them
    Clean the windows
    Check all lighting is functional especially the bedside lamp

Level 3

Vacuum thoroughly
    Sort out a drawer or a cupboard

Extras

S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    make sure the people you love know you love them.
    Last edited by Valli; 10-01-2019 at 9:26 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 2
    • Valli
    • By Valli 7th Jan 19, 8:16 AM
    • 20,955 Posts
    • 237,702 Thanks
    Valli
    Morning all

Vallikids out at work, DD starts her new job today with a long commute down the M1. She will be looking for accommodation in Leicester at some point. Going to see her will bring back sad memories as sis was in hospital in Leicester and went to the hospice from there. Although I can be glad because the last time I got to talk to her and we told each other we loved each other was Leicester; by the time I saw her again she wasn't able to communicate.

Anyway another school year starts. Bag to pack and lunch to prep. But first coffee and a read. I'll do today's list tomorrow!
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 7th Jan 19, 8:16 AM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 22,057 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Morning all! Last day of the holidays here, so meeting a friend at our local NT property to wear our darlings out. No money left in the pot to spend, so I'll be taking snacks with me. Last time I was there, I got charged £2.80 for a can of Pepsi

Time before that to get the kitchen sparkling and sort out the animals. Non-furry hellbeasts are already fed and watered and now watching Horrid Henry on TV.

Fayolle - no doubt tomorrow I will have to drag my boys out of bed for school, despite them being up at 6am all flaming holiday! "We" too are likely to be late...
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 7th Jan 19, 8:56 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 3,713 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Bonjour all,

First normal day here, been on holiday until now. Chatted to DD1 last night to boost her as she has exams today. Dropped DD2 at the 'end of the world' where she studies on Saturday and came home on Sunday. Was hard to get up and going this morning. OH back at work and me too.

House is reasonably tidy although I have a mountain of washing (actually a whole mountain range). But on MSE front did make my lunch today so good start to the year.

Catch you all later Student has arrived early!
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 7th Jan 19, 9:50 AM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 57,796 Thanks
    Pollybear
    Morning all. I've done a load of washing, pegged it out, it drizzled, so it's back in and draped round the radiators.

Might be going out in a while with DD2 if we can think of somewhere to go on a grey day with a 2 year old......
    • Valli
    • By Valli 7th Jan 19, 10:00 AM
    • 20,955 Posts
    • 237,702 Thanks
    Valli
    Might be going out in a while with DD2 if we can think of somewhere to go on a grey day with a 2 year old......
    Originally posted by Pollybear
    Wellies and waterproofs and puddle splashing?

Breakfast scoffed, showered, phone call from work fielded (no I didn't book a coach because I wasn't asked to book a coach...), now to empty DW. And make lunch. DD has got to Leicester ok and will get lunch provided *envy* for three days *even more envy*.

I would like to see the return of the HHC - Half Hour Challenge - where we work hard for 30 mins then post progress, alongside other flyladies, then we don't feel so isolated.

Would anyone else?
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 7th Jan 19, 10:51 AM
    • 2,641 Posts
    • 38,435 Thanks
    ionafan

I would like to see the return of the HHC - Half Hour Challenge - where we work hard for 30 mins then post progress, alongside other flyladies, then we don't feel so isolated.

Would anyone else?
    Originally posted by Valli
    Yes!

I have TDPA all the decorations and cards, and now my HHC is to
    - carry CS items down to the utility
    - start first load of WMx4
    - make a cuppa and drink it on the hoof
    - zip through downstairs with the dusteronnastick and hoover

-
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 7th Jan 19, 11:11 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 9,690 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Hey Valli, good idea..

Ive decluttered the kitchen
    Sorted washing,
    Decluttered 2 coffees and some toast..
    Sold a pair of wellyís, theyíve been collected so more out the house..
    Now trying to work up the motivation to go out and get some bits in town..
    Ooh & also need to hoover through
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 2 March GC £212.12/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Jan 19, 11:43 AM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 57,623 Thanks
    Jazee
    I'd welcome the return of HHC, but don't have even half hour now before leaving for paid stuff. Inset day presentation.

So far I have done dailies including dog walk, bleached all toilets and sinks, changed bedding, got first of four wash loads in machine, dusted dusty bits in LR and swept through downstairs.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 Mar - £452.84 Total 2019 - £1223.57/£5k
    Keep Moving Challenge - walked 158 miles
    • hex2
    • By hex2 7th Jan 19, 12:07 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Hi everyone, and welcome to the new people.

I did lots of dot to dotting at the weekend which is helping clear some long term issues. It feels very productive, and has had a visual impact. It's funny how we just can't see the mess any more until it is gone.

Great suggestion Valli, I used to love the open HHCs on the thread, so much better when you felt that you had company in the tedium of clearing and it got me off the laptop.

I know the hospice and surrounds quite well through my old job, it can be a difficult commute into the city. Drop me a PM if she needs help with routes or places not to live.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 7th Jan 19, 12:21 PM
    • 2,641 Posts
    • 38,435 Thanks
    ionafan
    Well done everyone

...my HHC is to
    - carry CS items down to the utility
    - start first load of WMx4
    - make a cuppa and drink it on the hoof
    - zip through downstairs with the dusteronnastick and hoover
    Originally posted by ionafan
    Well, it took me over an hour, because I also emptied all the bins, had to field a phonecall from a friend, and DH wouldn't budge as I cleaned the kitchen floor around him - but all on that list is done.

Now to walk Rosie, find some lunch, and do the 40-minute drive to see one of my supervisors (which will be a pleasure).
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 7th Jan 19, 12:48 PM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 5,474 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    Hi everyone and thanks for the new thread.

The weekend vanished for me. I went to a show and won big style so felt very happy if tired. I was home 2 hours when I got a call to go to relative's nursing home. Spent the whole night in A&E eventually getting home at midday. Napped in the afternoon and slept like a log last night.

Still feeling tired today but need to fly. I've done the horses, collected dog food, dropped DS1 off and now going to try and muster the energy to do dailies and level 1.

Level 1

Clear sides and wipe down
    Replace what lives there, wiping kettle/toaster etc as you go

Empty bin and wipe it out
    Wipe sill, sockets, door handles, drawer and cupboard handles and switches
    Clear and clean sink and accessories - wash drainers
    Last edited by shirlgirl2004; 07-01-2019 at 1:40 PM.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 7th Jan 19, 4:27 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 10,833 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Ooh I did a hhc earlier (well 40 minutes, but that's good enough for me)
    First proper sort out of the cellar prior to having to clear it completely.

A car load of stuff was taken to the tip/charity shop and I feel like I've got space to move down there now so I can sort out the rest. Mr Ts have a load of plastic boxes with lids for a decent price at the moment, so think I may invest in those, just need a good think about what we need before I buy - making a list in the bullet journal I think. Job for tonight.

Will need to do my daily jobs this evening post bed time and bring my work things down from the office. hubby needs the office space tomorrow to do his tax return so I'm relegated to the dining room table.

Living room currently looks like a jumble sale with toys everywhere. Grrrr to pants weather.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100 Dec: 28/100
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #59: 0/£2860
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 7th Jan 19, 5:44 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 22,401 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Yes please to HHCs

Survived my day, home now in pjs and have scoffed leftover macaroni cheese. DS really struggling with his pox . DW to go on now, I have run out of laundry powder so WM will have to wait until tomorrow.

Planning an early night x
    Last edited by atypicalblonde; 07-01-2019 at 6:37 PM.
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 7th Jan 19, 8:01 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 11,238 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Another yes please to HHCs . Mine will have to start tomorrow as Iím irrecoverably attached to the settee now.

Iíve got a banging headache from work so it has just been dinner, WULTD, a quick s&s of the kitchen and setting the DW to run. DH ran the WM when he got in. It only took him 2 phone calls to me at work to get it running on the right setting .
    • notimetospare
    • By notimetospare 7th Jan 19, 8:30 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    notimetospare
    Evening everyone,

At work all day, but all dailies done.
    Kitchen level 1 achieved ��
    Tea prepared, cooked and eaten
    Dogs walked
    Weekend washing folded and waiting at the bottom of the stairs to be taken up
    Just having a cuppa ☕️ Then will wind down for bed
    Work again tomorrow but then 2 days off ��

See you soon x
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 7th Jan 19, 8:41 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 10,833 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Washing basket empty until the morning (hopefully)
    All dry stuff away, but one load now hung in the bathroom - it's no wonder we have damp. Can't be helped though, no space elsewhere to do it.

Spent half an hour in the office, did a bit more shredding, mostly new stuff, but a smidgen of the backlog.
    Put things away properly.
    Cleared the floor
    Sorted out and brought down my work stuff as I'm relegated to the dining room table to work tomorrow.

Dishwasher has finished so I will empty that before heading up to bed. Will make pizza dough for tomorrow's tea while I'm at it.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100 Dec: 28/100
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #59: 0/£2860
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 7th Jan 19, 8:49 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 36,043 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Evening all x

Paid stuff done. Dinner made, decluttered and I've washed up. Christmas stuff deposited in the spare room, I need to get some polyethylene or similar to wrap the tree box in so I can put it down in the pram shed.
    Kitchen bunkers wiped and rubbish binned.
    DD got herself up this morning and had her make up and eyelashes on before I fell out of bed. I of course proceeded to do the same it takes me all my time to wash my face and put my hair up DD now at dancing so I'm expecting her to go to bed quite quickly when she gets in.
    Nipped away from work today to go to the dentist, I've been hit with an approximate bill of £400

Off to unpause harry Potter and chill for a bit!

ETA: Valli I'd love the HHC to come back. It was a great motivator knowing someone else was cleaning at the same time.
    Last edited by funfairprincess; 07-01-2019 at 8:51 PM.
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    £2 Savers club 2019 20p Savers Club 2019
    BLTW Feb
    2/19
    Pay all your debts by Christmas 2019 #20 paid £100
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 7th Jan 19, 10:05 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 24,283 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Shirlgirl well done, what do you do? I used to do dressage, badly, many years ago.
    One load through dw, ditto WM.
    Went to body Balance and zumba.
    Braved the changing room mirrors in Mat@lan as I needed bras.
    Checked cc bill and set up payment.
    Did a load of stuff from my deal with emails list.
    Rest of decorations away
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Tfoz
    • By Tfoz 7th Jan 19, 10:18 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Tfoz
    Big fan of this thread!
    Whoever thought of the Benny Hill music for some mad cleaning is a genius
    I'm on a mission to keep my house in some sort of order this year, the lists are brilliant
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 8th Jan 19, 7:08 AM
    • 957 Posts
    • 11,238 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Good morning
    Heating and hot water not working again. A call out in for repair again. On the plus side, I slept fairly well which always helps.
    Itís a non work day today, but I have promised a friend that I will go to the allotment with her this morning. I also need to do a grocery shop which isnít bad as my last proper one was a week before Christmas. Also need to fill the car up with petrol as I couldnít face it yesterday. In between, I will fly which will keep me warm.
    Have a good day everyone. Back later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

1,323Users online

Martin's Twitter