Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 6th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    • 20,866Posts
    • 236,911Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 7th January 2019
    • 6th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 7th January 2019 6th Jan 19 at 6:39 PM
    Welcome to the first full thread of 2019.
    It's been lovely to see some newbies already and I'm so pleased to see some familiar faces posting. The thread became very quiet last year which worried me...I, for one, have massively appreciated the support offered by poster here and I know I'm not the only one. Here's to a 2019 with joys and fun and, hopefully less clutter and dirt...

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...
    Manic Monday - Kitchen Kapers

Level 1

Clear sides and wipe down
    Replace what lives there, wiping kettle/toaster etc as you go
    Empty bin and wipe it out
    Wipe sill, sockets, door handles, drawer and cupboard handles and switches
    Clear and clean sink and accessories - wash drainers

Level 2

Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, and along the top/bottom and inside
    Clean hob
    Sort fridge and wipe seals; wash salad boxes etc
    Wipe table/change cloth
    Dust dining area/room

Level 3

Pick a messy cupboard or drawer and clean it out
    Clean oven and hob
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floor

extras
    MAD half hour - if you haven't written your Toots list, write it; if you have written it then look it over and see if you can break down a big job into steps or even cross something off.
    HHI.
    S&S bathroom.
    New month - make sure you have birthday etc cards ready - and stamps - then you are prepared for inclement weather!

Tuesday Toils - reclaim your sitting room/lounge

Level 1

Open the window w-i-d-e even if only for five minutes
    Empty the bin
    Give the sofas and seats the once over - leather wipe or a just-damp cloth to move any marks
    Lift and swap cushions and seat pads - vacuum underneath before replacing any; don't forget crevices and backs
    Rinse and squeeze out the cloth and wipe sockets, switches and door handles
    Ensure electricals are clean - and wipe those remote controllers, too

Level 2

Make sure coffee tables etc are cleared and cleaned before replacing stuff neatly
    Wipe any coasters
    Dust all surfaces - don'[t forget the skirting boards
    Give light fittings a dust, too
    Check ceilings, covings etc for cobwebs - especially if you had a real tree or other living decorations

Level 3

Vacuum the floor moving as much furniture as possible
    Polish the windows
    Plump up cushions
    Make sure that nothing is in here which doesn't live here
    Wipe windows

Extras
    HHI
    MAD half hour - clean out a neglected drawer
    S&S in the kitchen and bathroom
    Join in an HHC - or call one!

Wishy Washy Wednesday Bathroom Blitz

Level 1

Shine the sink
    Clean the loo inside and out - scrub that rim
    Wipe the light pull
    Wash out grimy, gungy toothbrush holders - and is it time to change toothbrushes?

Level 2

Clear the bath and clean it completely
    Clear the shower cubicle/screen
    Waggle a fine bottle brush down the plughole and pull back up to remove trapped hair etc

Level 3

Empty bins
    Wash the windows
    Scrub the floor
    Replace the towels - and put the old ones in the WM for a HOT wash
    Wash out the toothbrush holder
    Polish all taps with a fluffy cloth
    Put a slug of bleach down all plugholes and overflows

Extras

S&S kitchen
    MAD half hour
    HHI

Thursday Thrills - your bedroom should be a relaxing clutter-free space

Level one

Open the window
    Strip the bed
    Fling the sheets etc in the washbasket
    Go and get your breakfast/kids off to school etc

Level 2

Close the window (like you haven't already)
    Dust the headboard or vacuum as appropriate
    remake the bed
    Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe or any other clutter
    (see - looks better already)
    Dust all horizontal surfaces - vertical too, if you have time
    Polish any mirrors

Level Three

Clean the windows
    Vacuum the floor
    Make sure bedside cabinets are clear of clutter
    Use a damp cloth to wipe those lotions and potions
    Make sure you're not using stuff that's been open a long time - products do oxidise/deteriorate over time and in light/heat.

Extras

HHI - don't let it build up (we will gloss over my little heap then) - could do as part of a HHC
    S&S bathroom
    S&S kitchen
    Make some me-time plans - meet up with a friend or get yourself primped and polished

Friday - Kids Room or Guest room

Level 1

Open the windows WIDE
    Strip beds

after a suitable time (eat your breakfast)

Make the bed

Level 2

Dust every single surface - get the kids to sort out what's on them
    Clean the windows
    Check all lighting is functional especially the bedside lamp

Level 3

Vacuum thoroughly
    Sort out a drawer or a cupboard

Extras

S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    make sure the people you love know you love them.
    Last edited by Valli; 10-01-2019 at 9:26 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 1
    • notimetospare
    • By notimetospare 6th Jan 19, 7:04 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    notimetospare
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:04 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:04 PM
    Hi there,
    I would love to join all you lovely fly people as another year starts 🥂
    I have followed you for some time, but this is the year Iím jumping in and getting my house in order. I seem to be able to manage daily tasks but have a list as long as my arm for all those other pesky time consuming chores that never seem to get done.
    I am lucky that I have reduced my hours last September, but rather than achieving more I actually achieve less 😱
    So thanking you in advance for having me
    See you soon x
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 6th Jan 19, 7:09 PM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 39,259 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:09 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:09 PM
    Hi all

Welcome notimetospare!

I have written myself a schedule for this week - work time, exercise time, flying time, and importantly some feet up time. Lets see how it goes. House is reasonably tidy - if you dont look too closely.

Off to put some clean laundry away and then pjs on and feet up. Sounds like someone is making a brew - better get my order in.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 6th Jan 19, 7:44 PM
    • 20,866 Posts
    • 236,911 Thanks
    Valli
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:44 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:44 PM
    Welcome ntts see - I'm already saving time - mine lol

Looks like you're a victim of Parkinson's Law
    Last edited by Valli; 06-01-2019 at 7:47 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 6th Jan 19, 7:47 PM
    • 2,566 Posts
    • 36,598 Thanks
    Natty68
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:47 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:47 PM
    Evening all, I'm in for this week, thankyou for the thread Valli

Welcome to the mad house thread notimetospare

Just finished a lovely dinner cooked by DH and have just spent a good five minutes tempting the dog with a carrot, or two, as he hides things in his den. DH had the lovely job of retrieving things while said dog is distracted with carrots..lol

Washing hung up to dry on airer, another load ready to go on in the washing machine, clean washing folded up and put away in their various homes. Now just waiting for DH to finish the washing up and then we can settle down to watch a film on the t.v. as there isn't much else on that we fancy.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 6th Jan 19, 7:52 PM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 35,944 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:52 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:52 PM
    Hiya flyfriends x

Thanks to Valli and Natty for the threads xxxx

I'm in again. Back to normality as of tomorrow when the schools and dancing go back. My intention is to get the housework out of the way during the week, so please fling fluffy mules at me as required!
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    £2 Savers club 2019 20p Savers Club 2019
    GC January £90.02/£300 BLTW Jan 9/22
    Pay all your debts by Christmas 2019 #20 paid £100
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 6th Jan 19, 7:58 PM
    • 1,859 Posts
    • 9,739 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:58 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:58 PM
    Thank you all for the lists, greatly appreciated as always.

Welcome notimetospare, I'm finding this thread addictive - in a good way though.

I've been out and about today, but seem to be on top of most things.

Washing basket was emptied this morning - full of Pickle clothes now, but that's allowed. Washing all hung up, the dry stuff from yesterday put away.

I've meal planned for the next two weeks (one week me cooking for the three of us, second week hubby cooking for just him & Pickle as I'm on a week long work trip.)
    I'm going to head off to the supermarket early in the morning to get the supplies in, then I guess I ought to start with 'the great woodworm sort out' urgh. Got to be done though.

Wish.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100 Dec: 28/100
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #59: 0/£2860
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 6th Jan 19, 8:27 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 56,364 Thanks
    Jazee
    • 6th Jan 19, 8:27 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 8:27 PM
    I'm in. Thanks for the list.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 £29.42/£5k
    Keep Moving Challenge - walked 49.5/1825 miles
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 6th Jan 19, 8:48 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 22,083 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    • 6th Jan 19, 8:48 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 8:48 PM
    I'm in, huge thanks xx

My house is draped in drying laundry, our bed needs making up and the DW is ready to go on. Putting my game face on for tomorrow (& lots of war paint!).

See you all tomorrow xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 6th Jan 19, 8:52 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 10,602 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Hi all
    Iím in and thank you so much as ever to Valli and Natty for the lists.

Welcome to notimetospare.

Tomorrow is a full day at work, but Iíll be in as much as I can before Tuesday. On the plus side, Iíve actually meal planned for the next couple of weeks. A first for the last couple of months.

Good luck tomorrow, ATB. Weíre all rooting for you. You are going to be fab x
    • froddington
    • By froddington 6th Jan 19, 9:24 PM
    • 6,663 Posts
    • 94,042 Thanks
    froddington
    Evening! I'm in - thanks Valli

Last week was a bit of a wash out - laptop packed up and it took me 3 days to sort it; Mum is being argumentative!; BD is nipping at my heels; and today I have a mega sore throat!

So, this coming week has to be better - right?!!

Welcome to all newbies and returners x

Here goes my list . . . . . .

Manic Monday - Kitchen Kapers

Level 1

Clear sides and wipe down
    Replace what lives there, wiping kettle/toaster etc as you go
    Wipe sill, sockets and switches
    Clear and clean sink and accessories - wash drainers

Level 2
    Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, and along the top/bottom and inside
    Clean hob

Level 3
    Pick a messy cupboard or drawer and clean it out
    Clean oven
    Vacuum floor

extras
    MAD half hour - if you haven't written your Toots list, write it; if you have written it then look it over and see if you can break down a big job into steps or even cross something off.

My one-a-day (or 7-a-weekend!!) list
    - Bag to charity shop
    - Collect prescription
    - Rainbow planning
    - Investigate bathroom fitters
    - Write to M and post
    - Sort savings account
    - Ring roofer
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 6th Jan 19, 9:34 PM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 22,047 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Hello! I'm in too this week. Just back from the cinema where we took the boys to see the new Transformers film "Bumblebee" . Thoroughly enjoyed it but ate far too much popcorn

However, I don't feel too bad as I spent three hours in the garden today moving bricks, filling the skip and mucking out animals. I will sleep well tonight, I hope.

Erm...flying? Erm...nope.

Hope DS is feeling better soon ATB x
    • kjgkgj
    • By kjgkgj 6th Jan 19, 11:16 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    kjgkgj
    Hi everyone.

I love reading all your news, but never post myself. It gives me such motivation.

We had a rather busy year, after our first child born in June, now 7 months old today. I canít believe how exhausting and tiring motherhood is. Absolutely love our little boy to bits, but he takes up so much time. He is not great at napping, so during the day itís non stop. He is however getting to the age where he is happy playing in his bouncer for 20 mins with his toys, so at least I can try to get something done.

In the next month we plan to put our house on the market. Resigned to the fact it will look lived in, but just trying to de-clutter and at least make it look a bit more presentable.

I really hope your forum can help me, especially if I get more involved. Iím in for tomorrow, glad itís the kitchen because itís been a bit neglected.
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 6th Jan 19, 11:20 PM
    • 2,591 Posts
    • 37,965 Thanks
    ionafan
    Welcome newbies

Thank you Valli - I'm in as much as possible this week. I have checked my diary and need just 3 birthday cards and an e-card in January plus 9 cards and one e-card in February - and three of these are for immediate family members who also need presents

First job tomorrow will be to take down all decorations and Christmas cards. I've just switched off the lights for the last time.

I knitted most of a camel this evening while watching Dragons' Den, having been inspired by our Camel Drive earlier (like a beetle drive but with camels instead, for the wise men)

Hope everyone has a good week xx
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 7th Jan 19, 2:47 AM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 23,964 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Thanks for lists.
    Welcome to newbies.
    Stick thrown for bd Froddington
    Well done with the camel ionafan. I'm making reasonable progress with Mr N's scarf, which is in "meandering rib" stitch! I'm rather intrigued as it looks like cable but much easier.
    Today - oh it's yesterday now! Final clean after church to get house ready for friend's birthday meal. Did another flower arrangement for the table, I'm definitely addicted!
    Finally finished the last report. Until Wednesday.
    Texted today's 1:1student to check she's coming, and she isn't.
    Just winding down now.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 7th Jan 19, 7:12 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 22,083 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all,

Rubbish nights sleep, can't wait for today to be over. I'm showered, dressed, make up on. Washing on the line and DW unloaded. DS covered in vicious spots, need to see if I can have tomorrow off. Can't see anything in my contract about time off to care for poorly children so don't know what the situation is.

Have fab days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 7th Jan 19, 7:14 AM
    • 1,859 Posts
    • 9,739 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    ATB,
    You need virasooth for little ones spots and do not give any ibruprofen type medicines, paracetamol ones are ok though.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100 Dec: 28/100
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #59: 0/£2860
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 7th Jan 19, 7:26 AM
    • 690 Posts
    • 9,976 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Morning

Thank you to Valli and Natty for the thread and to all of you for wise words and support throughout the years

Welcome newbies and if there is anyone else 'lurking' out there who wants to join in - please do

Christmas tree is down and put away I actually heard Valli in my head when I tried to leave the tree etc at the bottom of the stairs ready to go up later

BD is nipping here too froddington I'm trying to keep my chin up, whilst trying to keep Dad's chin up, and life just keeps throwing more carp at us. Let's start the year with news of another terminal illness in the family, shall we?

One day at a time.... you reminded me YL - I 'created' a weekly schedule for myself - with flying time and time out and everything … and a depressingly large block of orange representing full-time work.... I wonder where I put it (sheepish look at Valli )

I'm going to feed the birds and put out the rubbish and recycling before I go to work.

Hugs
    Rxx
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 7th Jan 19, 7:31 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 10,602 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning.
    First day back at school after the holidays and guess what?? ďWeĒ are running late already. As a result I have had time to prep for an easy dinner and also s&s the bathrooms. At this rate Iíll be driving DD in on my way to work. Letís hope the bus driver fancied a 5 minute lie in....

Sticks to all those BDs prowling around. X
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Jan 19, 7:50 AM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 56,364 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Welcome newbies.

Kitchen flying has started here as a bowl of sugar fell out of a cupboard.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 £29.42/£5k
    Keep Moving Challenge - walked 49.5/1825 miles
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,831Posts Today

8,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: Inappropriate kisses, uncharacteristic formality, or simple nonsense. I'm stumped, how do you sign off work e-mails? Eve?

• RT @BBCPolitics: "This is what annoys people. You're not answering!" Sparks (and papers) fly as @MartinSLewis challenges minister Chris Sk?

• RT @Mattallwright: Spot on. I also hate train toilet seats that try and make me laugh. It's the same joke every journey. https://t.co/b1Tj4?

• Follow Martin