Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 2nd Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    • 274Posts
    • 5,158Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    A simpler life 2019
    • 2nd Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    A simpler life 2019 2nd Jan 19 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone

First of all, thank you SimpleLiving for starting the tread last year! I hope you don't mind me opening one for 2019.

The 2018 tread can be found here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5752610&page=1

I am sure a simpler live is different for everyone, some might be decluttering while others are just mindfull about the new things they bring into their life. It might be about creating habits and simplifying things to make life or just the house run more smoothly.

I hope the tread will once more be an inspiration to work towards our goals!

I hope you will all have a great 2019!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 15-01-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    Resolution for 2019 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
Page 3
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 11th Jan 19, 6:36 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Evening all

So glad it is Friday, it was another rather strange week and then today after I came back from lunch break our IT packed up and left me with bits and bobs to sort out on Monday... But well, first relax!

I went for a long walk on my way home and have since done some cleaning, laundry and cooked a big batch of lentil soup from the National Trust cookbook. Sooo yummy and quite filling, had it with some bread and vegetarian sandwich "meat" I usually don't buy meat substitutes but decided to give them a try and it was quite ok. One of my cats even fell for it and came begging when I upacked it and had a tiny slice.

Tomorrow I'll have to finish cleaning the flat as it was too dark to hover when I came home and then a quick groceries round. Then I will meet my 90 year old friend for lunch, she called before and asked if I had time tomorrow. Really looking forward to it, she is one of the loveliest people and despite an almost 60 year age gap we always find something to talk and laugh about. She has a really witty sense of humour and a very positive outlook on life and a conversation with her always makes me feel good and is often food for thoughts as well.

In the evening I will go over to a friends as her son turns two and they will have a little party. I hope it won't turn out like last years "small celebration" that was 40 people and enough toys to keep a medium sized nursery in operation... I have my views on that topic and I decided that I will be the slightly strange auntie giving him handknitted clothes and wooden toys...

So many new ones joining our treat, welcome! The more the merrier!

Funny to read how many ex-cross-stitchers we have in this tread!
    Living Proof, I'd love to donate it to her, but I don't live in the UK and postage is horrendous... So I will have to find a way of donating it locally.

dingdongsaver, I completely agree with you that we don't need clutter to feel comfortable and cosy, and the things we really love in our homes are worth keeping! For example I have four pillows in my bed, oh heck, every minimalist would cry in pain because of that... But I do use all of them when sitting in bed reading, so having four pillow in the bed is making my life easier, as opposed to have to bring one from the living room each time.

CAFCGirl, I have an app that shuts other apps down for a set time and often use that in the evening to stay off Insta and random pages online...

debbiedodge, have you seen the Zero Waste tread? Very useful tips about reducing waste. I don't like the therm Zero Waste though as it sounds like an unachievable goal....

so, need to hang my laundry. Hope my handknitted jumper will dry until noon tomorrow or I'll have to help with the hairdryer... Want to wear that for lunch as my friend is a knitter too (although a much more skilled one than I am, but she has a good 80 years of experience and her output on socks is amazing...) and want her to see the jumper in it's full glory.

have a lovely evening everyone!
    Resolution for 2019 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 11th Jan 19, 10:17 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 4,527 Thanks
    dingdongsaving
    RRacoon - hope your jumper dried in time!
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 11th Jan 19, 11:50 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 13,547 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone

Joining in a bit late, hope you don't mind.

My simpler life I hope will be just that, just to live a lot simpler, not to be swayed by buying material things, eating more simply and using what I have before buying more and try to, for this year, not to buy unnecessary clothes, shoes etc (just buy under garments and footwear if needed and anything else either make or CS}. I have an allotment so I want to grow more on there, and only grow what I will eat - yes I know that sounds daft but I grow cabbages every year and I don't really like them that much (well the critters that live inside them) so I end up giving most of the greens away, so that is stopping this year. Im also going to say 'no' more, as I get a bit stressed out sometimes when I agree to do too much. Anyway that's a start. At the moment Im sorting some clutter out to CS/ give away and then Im going to get going on using some of my craft bits up to make cards, knit and mainly sew, I would like to do a quilt using up all my bits of material, it sounds a bit grand but it will only be squares as Im a novice!!!

Anyway off to bed I think

Nannyg
    Budgeting again, must try harder!!
    Sealed pot challenge no.31
    Frugal challenge 2019
    January nsd = 15
    • iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 12th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 5,470 Thanks
    iamsalt
    Hi. I have dipped in and out of these threads, as i have made tiny steps towards a simpler life. It’s a long way to go to get where I want to be. We have spent the last year renovating an old house using a mix of traditional and modern techniques and materials, although it is still unfinished, it is a happy place and as we repaired it I could almost hear the house breathe a sigh of relief (it had been leaking for some time). This year is a focus on the veg garden and producing the food we love.

I have been lucky enough to be able to take my time in moving furniture and stuff into the house, and so much isn’t moving in with us. Hopefully others will benefit from things we don’t need.
    I would like to work part time in a couple of years, but in the meantime I am hoping to find ways to commute less and enjoy the moment more .

S x
    £175,999 starting Oct 17 (likely to be £200,000 in April 2019) current £168750 original end date October 2041 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £1687 for 2019 so far £16.53 paid
    • iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 12th Jan 19, 9:11 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 5,470 Thanks
    iamsalt
    Meant to say, nannyg that I understand the stress when you agree to do too much so i am trying to succession plan my way out of a couple of roles for a while.
    S x
    £175,999 starting Oct 17 (likely to be £200,000 in April 2019) current £168750 original end date October 2041 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £1687 for 2019 so far £16.53 paid
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 16th Jan 19, 7:05 AM
    • 338 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    Teacher2
    I retired early due to stress after 33 years of full time teaching and have been at home for six years now. My DH was made redundant at 60 and failed to find another job so we are both rather strapped for cash.

Luckily we have also lived a simple and frugal life so we have managed so far. We are looking forward to collecting the state pensions we paid into for so many years but that is still four years off.

Some of aspects of our simple life involve the following:-

No or very few fancy holidays abroad. We sometimes travel to Devon and live the same there as we do at home.

I use my cleaning regime as a fitness workout and save gym fees. I work in the mornings on house and garden and clean, repair, decorate and maintain - all myself. I also wash, iron and mend my clothes which last years thus saving money.

I keep an accounts book which tracks every penny which come s in or goes out. I run funds for bills, the car and holidays so big expenses have cash to meet them. This means I can keep cost to a minimum.

I bulk buy imperishables when they are on offer and store them for leaner periods. When Christmas hit our finances in January we were able to live off
    freezer and store cupboard supplies and only spent £35 for a week’s shopping.

My interests and activities are mentally and physically stimulating but nearly free. I do housework in the morning but, in the afternoon, I walk in the countryside and around the lovely surrounding Georgian towns, read, bake, cook, visit National Trust houses and gardens, see friends and so on.

I hardy ever go out to eat now but eat and drink well by cooking from scratch myself, often from yellow sticker forays and by the DH’s eye for bargain but good wines.

I use vouchers and coupons, sales and knockdowns to save money. I never buy anything full price.

When asked what I want for presents I say John Lewis vouchers but spend them in Waitrose on food bargains and then spend the equivalent cash when I actually need something and it is on offer.

Again, with presents, I have been ale to ask my lovely and generous family
    to crowd fund something I really want or need rather than buying individual gifts of little use.

I am an avid reader and source books from the library. A reservation costs a mere 60 pence and does not clutter the house when it is read.

I practice simplicity in my house. my DH and I are both tidy-freaks and have few but lovely items on display. We have frequent chuckouts and never leave a room untidy. My house is calm, clean and elegant as clutter and clamour unsettle me.

Our lovely children have allowed us to share their Amazon Prime and Netflix subscriptions and have bought us Audible story downloads as presents so we have saved a fortune on culture, entertainment and buying books and other things.

I have a Jacqui Lawson subscription for free greetings ecards and buy Pink and Greene discounted cards for other occasions.

And so on. In short I have a life which is probably more routine and monitored than most people could tolerate and am on top of too many things for much spontaneity. But needs must. I cannot afford to be too rash and I like to feel secure.
    Last edited by Teacher2; 16-01-2019 at 7:09 AM.
    • juliapenguin
    • By juliapenguin 16th Jan 19, 8:43 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 3,044 Thanks
    juliapenguin
    Hello - please can I play?
    Iíd love to join you all! My DH and I are (very) early retired for health reasons and a simple life is essential for me to keep well mentally, physically and financially.

We live in a very small house with not much stuff but Iíve got out of the housework and home cooking habit and things have got messy. Since Christmas Iíve been so ill with a flu-type virus and I canít wait to feel well enough to restart a lot of my old good habits.

I will keep looking on this thread for encouragement!
    • dpixie
    • By dpixie 16th Jan 19, 11:41 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    dpixie
    home made socks
    if you have not made socks before, look at winwick mums blog and she has a great "how to" - its step by step and idiot proof - i am proof of that 100 pairs of socks later. wool warehouse is also a great place to source wool for socks and the cheaper brands like "drops" and "cygnet" are great and in the lower price bracket, but last and last and last.
    1 oxfam jumper, 19 hexagon jumpers and 1 beanie!
    • Well Preserved
    • By Well Preserved 17th Jan 19, 12:54 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    Well Preserved
    I can second Winwick Mum. I have small feet so get a much better fit when I knit my own. Her instructions are clear and well explained. My DD bought me her book, Super Socks, which covers the basics as on the blog but I think there are more options and I personally found it easier to follow in the book than on screen.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin