Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 2nd Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    • 292Posts
    • 5,399Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    A simpler life 2019
    • 2nd Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    A simpler life 2019 2nd Jan 19 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone

First of all, thank you SimpleLiving for starting the tread last year! I hope you don't mind me opening one for 2019.

The 2018 tread can be found here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5752610&page=1

I am sure a simpler live is different for everyone, some might be decluttering while others are just mindfull about the new things they bring into their life. It might be about creating habits and simplifying things to make life or just the house run more smoothly.

I hope the tread will once more be an inspiration to work towards our goals!

I hope you will all have a great 2019!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 15-01-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    Resolution for 2019 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
Page 3
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 11th Jan 19, 6:36 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 5,399 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Evening all

So glad it is Friday, it was another rather strange week and then today after I came back from lunch break our IT packed up and left me with bits and bobs to sort out on Monday... But well, first relax!

I went for a long walk on my way home and have since done some cleaning, laundry and cooked a big batch of lentil soup from the National Trust cookbook. Sooo yummy and quite filling, had it with some bread and vegetarian sandwich "meat" I usually don't buy meat substitutes but decided to give them a try and it was quite ok. One of my cats even fell for it and came begging when I upacked it and had a tiny slice.

Tomorrow I'll have to finish cleaning the flat as it was too dark to hover when I came home and then a quick groceries round. Then I will meet my 90 year old friend for lunch, she called before and asked if I had time tomorrow. Really looking forward to it, she is one of the loveliest people and despite an almost 60 year age gap we always find something to talk and laugh about. She has a really witty sense of humour and a very positive outlook on life and a conversation with her always makes me feel good and is often food for thoughts as well.

In the evening I will go over to a friends as her son turns two and they will have a little party. I hope it won't turn out like last years "small celebration" that was 40 people and enough toys to keep a medium sized nursery in operation... I have my views on that topic and I decided that I will be the slightly strange auntie giving him handknitted clothes and wooden toys...

So many new ones joining our treat, welcome! The more the merrier!

Funny to read how many ex-cross-stitchers we have in this tread!
    Living Proof, I'd love to donate it to her, but I don't live in the UK and postage is horrendous... So I will have to find a way of donating it locally.

dingdongsaver, I completely agree with you that we don't need clutter to feel comfortable and cosy, and the things we really love in our homes are worth keeping! For example I have four pillows in my bed, oh heck, every minimalist would cry in pain because of that... But I do use all of them when sitting in bed reading, so having four pillow in the bed is making my life easier, as opposed to have to bring one from the living room each time.

CAFCGirl, I have an app that shuts other apps down for a set time and often use that in the evening to stay off Insta and random pages online...

debbiedodge, have you seen the Zero Waste tread? Very useful tips about reducing waste. I don't like the therm Zero Waste though as it sounds like an unachievable goal....

so, need to hang my laundry. Hope my handknitted jumper will dry until noon tomorrow or I'll have to help with the hairdryer... Want to wear that for lunch as my friend is a knitter too (although a much more skilled one than I am, but she has a good 80 years of experience and her output on socks is amazing...) and want her to see the jumper in it's full glory.

have a lovely evening everyone!
    Resolution for 2019 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 11th Jan 19, 10:17 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    dingdongsaving
    RRacoon - hope your jumper dried in time!
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 11th Jan 19, 11:50 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 13,680 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone

Joining in a bit late, hope you don't mind.

My simpler life I hope will be just that, just to live a lot simpler, not to be swayed by buying material things, eating more simply and using what I have before buying more and try to, for this year, not to buy unnecessary clothes, shoes etc (just buy under garments and footwear if needed and anything else either make or CS}. I have an allotment so I want to grow more on there, and only grow what I will eat - yes I know that sounds daft but I grow cabbages every year and I don't really like them that much (well the critters that live inside them) so I end up giving most of the greens away, so that is stopping this year. Im also going to say 'no' more, as I get a bit stressed out sometimes when I agree to do too much. Anyway that's a start. At the moment Im sorting some clutter out to CS/ give away and then Im going to get going on using some of my craft bits up to make cards, knit and mainly sew, I would like to do a quilt using up all my bits of material, it sounds a bit grand but it will only be squares as Im a novice!!!

Anyway off to bed I think

Nannyg
    Budgeting again, must try harder!!
    Sealed pot challenge no.31
    Frugal challenge 2019
    • iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 12th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 5,547 Thanks
    iamsalt
    Hi. I have dipped in and out of these threads, as i have made tiny steps towards a simpler life. It’s a long way to go to get where I want to be. We have spent the last year renovating an old house using a mix of traditional and modern techniques and materials, although it is still unfinished, it is a happy place and as we repaired it I could almost hear the house breathe a sigh of relief (it had been leaking for some time). This year is a focus on the veg garden and producing the food we love.

I have been lucky enough to be able to take my time in moving furniture and stuff into the house, and so much isn’t moving in with us. Hopefully others will benefit from things we don’t need.
    I would like to work part time in a couple of years, but in the meantime I am hoping to find ways to commute less and enjoy the moment more .

S x
    £175,999 starting Oct 17 (likely to be £200,000 in April 2019) current £168750 original end date October 2041 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £1687 for 2019 so far £67.48 paid
    • iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 12th Jan 19, 9:11 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 5,547 Thanks
    iamsalt
    Meant to say, nannyg that I understand the stress when you agree to do too much so i am trying to succession plan my way out of a couple of roles for a while.
    S x
    £175,999 starting Oct 17 (likely to be £200,000 in April 2019) current £168750 original end date October 2041 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 16th Jan 19, 7:05 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    Teacher2
    I retired early due to stress after 33 years of full time teaching and have been at home for six years now. My DH was made redundant at 60 and failed to find another job so we are both rather strapped for cash.

Luckily we have also lived a simple and frugal life so we have managed so far. We are looking forward to collecting the state pensions we paid into for so many years but that is still four years off.

Some of aspects of our simple life involve the following:-

No or very few fancy holidays abroad. We sometimes travel to Devon and live the same there as we do at home.

I use my cleaning regime as a fitness workout and save gym fees. I work in the mornings on house and garden and clean, repair, decorate and maintain - all myself. I also wash, iron and mend my clothes which last years thus saving money.

I keep an accounts book which tracks every penny which come s in or goes out. I run funds for bills, the car and holidays so big expenses have cash to meet them. This means I can keep cost to a minimum.

I bulk buy imperishables when they are on offer and store them for leaner periods. When Christmas hit our finances in January we were able to live off
    freezer and store cupboard supplies and only spent £35 for a week’s shopping.

My interests and activities are mentally and physically stimulating but nearly free. I do housework in the morning but, in the afternoon, I walk in the countryside and around the lovely surrounding Georgian towns, read, bake, cook, visit National Trust houses and gardens, see friends and so on.

I hardy ever go out to eat now but eat and drink well by cooking from scratch myself, often from yellow sticker forays and by the DH’s eye for bargain but good wines.

I use vouchers and coupons, sales and knockdowns to save money. I never buy anything full price.

When asked what I want for presents I say John Lewis vouchers but spend them in Waitrose on food bargains and then spend the equivalent cash when I actually need something and it is on offer.

Again, with presents, I have been ale to ask my lovely and generous family
    to crowd fund something I really want or need rather than buying individual gifts of little use.

I am an avid reader and source books from the library. A reservation costs a mere 60 pence and does not clutter the house when it is read.

I practice simplicity in my house. my DH and I are both tidy-freaks and have few but lovely items on display. We have frequent chuckouts and never leave a room untidy. My house is calm, clean and elegant as clutter and clamour unsettle me.

Our lovely children have allowed us to share their Amazon Prime and Netflix subscriptions and have bought us Audible story downloads as presents so we have saved a fortune on culture, entertainment and buying books and other things.

I have a Jacqui Lawson subscription for free greetings ecards and buy Pink and Greene discounted cards for other occasions.

And so on. In short I have a life which is probably more routine and monitored than most people could tolerate and am on top of too many things for much spontaneity. But needs must. I cannot afford to be too rash and I like to feel secure.
    Last edited by Teacher2; 16-01-2019 at 7:09 AM.
    • juliapenguin
    • By juliapenguin 16th Jan 19, 8:43 AM
    • 759 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    juliapenguin
    Hello - please can I play?
    Iíd love to join you all! My DH and I are (very) early retired for health reasons and a simple life is essential for me to keep well mentally, physically and financially.

We live in a very small house with not much stuff but Iíve got out of the housework and home cooking habit and things have got messy. Since Christmas Iíve been so ill with a flu-type virus and I canít wait to feel well enough to restart a lot of my old good habits.

I will keep looking on this thread for encouragement!
    • dpixie
    • By dpixie 16th Jan 19, 11:41 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    dpixie
    home made socks
    if you have not made socks before, look at winwick mums blog and she has a great "how to" - its step by step and idiot proof - i am proof of that 100 pairs of socks later. wool warehouse is also a great place to source wool for socks and the cheaper brands like "drops" and "cygnet" are great and in the lower price bracket, but last and last and last.
    1 oxfam jumper, 19 hexagon jumpers and 1 beanie!
    • Well Preserved
    • By Well Preserved 17th Jan 19, 12:54 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    Well Preserved
    I can second Winwick Mum. I have small feet so get a much better fit when I knit my own. Her instructions are clear and well explained. My DD bought me her book, Super Socks, which covers the basics as on the blog but I think there are more options and I personally found it easier to follow in the book than on screen.
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 19th Jan 19, 1:38 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 5,399 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Hello everyone

Welcome to all the newbies!

It is a bright and sunny day here but it is quite cold and I regreted going out without gloves and a hat because I thought it was warmer....
    I've did all my chores for the week and also went to the library to bring back some books and get two new ones. Am back in reading mood and will enjoy it while I can!

Tonight I'll go to IKE@ with my sister. We'll do our mothly shop for cats supplies and from that shop it is only a small drive to IKE@ so we will treat ourselfs to vegetarian "meat"balls for dinner. I've started to get quite good at walking out of the shop without any scented candles and other decor, so I hope I can stick to my shopping list which will be a few storage glasses and a new bathmatt in case they have one that matches my towels. Plus I will do a little groceries shop as I love their pickled gherkins...

Tomorrow I might go to knitting group, I've checked who was going and for once feel like joining. The knitting group meets each Sunday and we subscribe online so you can see who is going. Unfortunatelly there is someone who annoys me and she is there most times, so I often don't go because I spend my week dealing with nagging people and don't need that on Sunday as well...

I really wish someone would set up a knitting group locally in the evenings, there is one during the day but another one in the evening would be lovely...

Nannygladis, in case you need some motivation on the not-buying-more-clothes-than-needed front, there is a tread called Fashion on the Ration and we try to not buy more clothes than we would have been able to get with clothes coupons during WWII.

iamsalt, a move is always a good opportunity to part with things. Everything you donate or bin doesn't have to be packed and moved... :-)

juliapenguin, hope you'll feel better soon!

re socks; I always thought sock knitting was a waste of time until I decided to give it a try and asked my 90 year old friend for help. She really enjoyed giving me a sock-knitting-lesson and I now have a skill that I have learned from her, although I have customised the heel in the meantime as her way is a bit overcomplicated. Now socks count as small projects for me as a pair can be done in an average week, so it is an ideal gift. I have however also knitted much bigger things for presents, for example a poncho for a friend.

have a lovely weekend everyone!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 19th Jan 19, 4:11 PM
    • 8,622 Posts
    • 18,949 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Your post at the start of the page is my kind of aim for life RicardaRacoon

I am tempted to spend a little down time really focusing on my vision for a simpler life, note it down altogether to really build a sense of where 'slow\simple' living lies for me.
    Has anyone else done similar?
    I find the words easy to say = I want to live a simpler life but it's harder to envision in real life actuality.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2\66
    March Grocery Challenge £250\£46.77
    • iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 19th Jan 19, 6:05 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 5,547 Thanks
    iamsalt
    Your post at the start of the page is my kind of aim for life RicardaRacoon

I am tempted to spend a little down time really focusing on my vision for a simpler life, note it down altogether to really build a sense of where 'slow\simple' living lies for me.
    Has anyone else done similar?
    I find the words easy to say = I want to live a simpler life but it's harder to envision in real life actuality.
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Hi. I spend time on train journeys or when i am on my own for a while considering what i want from my simple life, otherwise I find I struggle to get in the ďzoneĒ to think or people distract me. I have a notebook where i put my thoughts down, sometimes as a couple of paragraphs and othertimes as a mind map (it depends on my mood)
    I think everyoneís vision will be just a bit different and thats the joy. I know mine involves my garden and a shorter commute.
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 22nd Jan 19, 6:20 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 5,281 Thanks
    daisy 1571

I really wish someone would set up a knitting group locally in the evenings, there is one during the day but another one in the evening would be lovely...
    Originally posted by RicardaRacoon

Could you start one do you think? Perhaps theres a few others out there thinking the same and if you start it you can make it on a night and in a place that suits you best

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 23rd Jan 19, 5:47 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 5,399 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Could you start one do you think? Perhaps theres a few others out there thinking the same and if you start it you can make it on a night and in a place that suits you best

Daisy xx
    Originally posted by daisy 1571

The problem is the place really. Neither me nor my Mum have space to host it... And none of the ones that would maybe join have either.... The room where my Mums afternoon knitting group meets is from the church and in order to get it - without having to pay rent - it had to be over the WI and they don't see the need for a second knitting group.... The only other option would be a restaurant but I don't think they would be too happy to host a group of woman who stay for two, three hour and only have a tea each... My Sunday knitting group in town meet at a Starbvcks because they don't mind you sitting there for a couple of hours...
    • Elnora32
    • By Elnora32 23rd Jan 19, 8:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Elnora32
    Can I join please?

I have been reading this thread with interest as a couple of years ago I started to live a more simple life. I have been getting more active, making changes to my diet and getting rid of unwanted possessions. It's great to read about others who have a likeminded approach to life.

I will keep popping in for inspiration.

Elnora
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 28th Jan 19, 3:13 PM
    • 8,622 Posts
    • 18,949 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Can I join please?

I have been reading this thread with interest as a couple of years ago I started to live a more simple life. I have been getting more active, making changes to my diet and getting rid of unwanted possessions. It's great to read about others who have a likeminded approach to life.

I will keep popping in for inspiration.

Elnora
    Originally posted by Elnora32
    Welcome
    Pleased to have you with us.
    What does a simple life look like for you?

Today we embraced some of life's simple pleasures. Lunch in the car at a country riverside park. Walk out in the brisk weather. We did a bit of bird watching in a little bridged pond area with robins galore. They seem such a cheery bird.
    Not our usual activity but was nice to just be out, some sunshine on my face etc. Had to head back as DS was feeling the cold but he lasted longer than I thought and communicated it well (suspected SEN needs)....
    Called into their visitors centre as I remembered a mention of a display cal led Guardians of the Deep. Large display of hand knitted and crocheted native marine creatures. Adorable to see. Spent some time with that and DS seemed to enjoy it too.
    Came home and had boar d\card games out instead of usual tv and consoles time.

Feeling very "soul full" after that, and it cements how much more of that I want for us to achieve in our lives.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2\66
    March Grocery Challenge £250\£46.77
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 28th Jan 19, 5:59 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    The problem is the place really. Neither me nor my Mum have space to host it... And none of the ones that would maybe join have either.... The room where my Mums afternoon knitting group meets is from the church and in order to get it - without having to pay rent - it had to be over the WI and they don't see the need for a second knitting group.... The only other option would be a restaurant but I don't think they would be too happy to host a group of woman who stay for two, three hour and only have a tea each... My Sunday knitting group in town meet at a Starbvcks because they don't mind you sitting there for a couple of hours...
    Originally posted by RicardaRacoon
    Just a few ideas that work in our area: Our 'Loving Hands' group meets at a Laser Quest (during the day). As we are making things for charity, that ticks a box for them at a point they want to be open for occasional customers and maintenance, so they are happy that we buy cups of tea.
    Our Village Hall gets a decent income from regular groups, so if we are approached by a community / charity group, we will usually give them a few free weeks whilst they establish themselves.
    A nearby pub is popular at weekends and summer evenings. They host community groups for free in the winter, as selling a few drinks in their quiet period is better than none!
    I know a 'yarn' group meets there.
    • Elnora32
    • By Elnora32 29th Jan 19, 3:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Elnora32
    Thanks for the welcome CAFCGirl.
    My idea of a simple life is to live at a slower pace and I try to walk every day, always cook from scratch and I have some hens so I bake cakes rather than buy lots of biscuits.

I would like to learn to sew and took a short course last year. I have made a couple of simple tops but I really need to spend more time practising and this year I am aiming to put time aside to try something more complicated.
    I hope everyone is having a good day.
    Elnora
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 30th Jan 19, 10:49 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 6,074 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Hi everyone,

Bit of a latecomer here but I hope you don't mind me joining in.

I adopted the name 'Slowdown' some years ago when life was truly overwhelming me. I have since given up teaching after a long career just like Teacher2. I just couldn't carry on any longer. I gave up Dec 2017 and did a bit of cleaning for some old ladies and a friend in 2018. Life had slowed down as you can imagine but guilt got the better of me and I began to decorate, mend things, give myself jobs to do to convince myself I was worthwhile even though not earning much. Then I took a seasonal job with John Lewis in Oxford Street from October to January, which meant long days with an hour and a quarter commute, sometimes not getting home until 11 or later. Some days I was also getting up at 3 am to run my son 30 mins up the motorway to a new job. Last week he passed his test and so no more of that, thank goodness.

And since Christmas I have been unwell. Very run down, extremely low iron count found a couple of weeks ago and staying in bed today.

So, my mission is to simplify for real. Not just try, feel guilty, stress out, get ill, try again. Last week I did two days of supply teaching. I had signed up for three weeks and yesterday rang to say I am just not up for it anymore. I'm very proud of myself for doing so. Usually I'd just soldier on and become very anxious.

For the coming year I intend to relax more, read more, grow more vegetables, carry on cooking the basics, walk more, craft more, and appreciate who I am more without criticism.

I've used the word 'more' a lot which might seem at odds with simplifying but it's really not.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I'm going to read my book and have a snooze. I'm worn out after reading all your lovely posts!

Slowdown
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 30th Jan 19, 11:32 AM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 6,602 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Hello Slowdown

Another former teacher here!

Your post today really resonated. I left FT teaching Dec 2017, and all employed teaching last summer. I now work for myself ( still in education). I am unwell, nothing serious, just a bad cold and throat. I too would normally just carry on, but yesterday and today I cancelled work so I can rest. Apart from picking up some milk in case we get the forecast snow tonight, I intend to do nothing more strenuous than make some soup for my lunch today. I can also feel guilty etc for doing less. My plans for this year are much like yours. I've already started planning my planting for food this year, I plan to sew more, craft more and read more. Whilst I have work goals still, they are no longer the main consideration in my life. I wish you the best of luck in your renewed efforts, and will read along cheering you on.

Bexster
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

38Posts Today

2,939Users online

Martin's Twitter