Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 18, 11:14 PM
    • 3,015Posts
    • 21,780Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019
    • 31st Dec 18, 11:14 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019 31st Dec 18 at 11:14 PM
    New year so time for a new thread - welcome to the 2019 make do, mend and minimise thread

For me, this year is going to be about minimising a lot of our stuff (after all how many books, DVDs, clothes, etc do two people really need and I've definitely got slight hoarding tendencies, there's heaps of stuff about the flat that is being kept just in case it might come in useful in the distant future), finally getting the flat looking how we want it on a very limited budget and moving towards a less wasteful lifestyle. I'd also like to get the sewing machine out again and actually learn out to use it properly. First I have to rescue it from the cupboard of doom

Loved reading what everyone was up to in 2018 and hope to see you all again in this thread. Happy MMMing to all
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 419.37 (81.8% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 797.68 Now 750.40 (5.9% paid) + monthly payments 146.82 13/60
    Emergency fund - 15/1000. Car fund - 25/1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - 7/16. Groceries target 59.89/120. NSD target 10/20.
Page 3
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Jan 19, 9:24 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 15,858 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make Do & Minimise: Food from freezer & larder. Am also making a soup with all my ys vegetables & a few odds & ends from freezer.

Mend: nothing

miss empty piggy, rhubarb in your own allotment - I love it - am sooo jealous

Caterina, I love the knitting & the finished garment , but oh the bit in between - pressing & sewing up.

MrsSD
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 07-01-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Typo
    • misstara
    • By misstara 6th Jan 19, 10:13 PM
    • 3,015 Posts
    • 21,780 Thanks
    misstara
    Yummy roast pork for tea tonight (should have been our new year's day roast) with plenty of leftovers. Will have some tomorrow for tea and the rest will go in the freezer for a later date.

No mending done as yet, the pile is sitting there though so just have to get to it, lacked motivation over the weekend due to feeling awful. I still sound dreadful but definitely feel better

Did a quick food shop yesterday to get a few things. Morrison's has loose eggs and you take the egg box back to fill up. Actually remembered to take the box with me which I'm really pleased about. Less to go into the recycling bin and part of me moving towards a less wasteful lifestyle. Unfortunately did not see any ys bargains while I was there.
    Mini Targets in January
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 7th Jan 19, 12:11 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 13,529 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone
    Make do: made meals from stores
    Minimise: well went to dds to help her clear her rented house (shes bought one) so I have a car full of stuff to cs and take to the tip, so I will count that.
    Mend: None today as Ive been out most of it.#
    Nannyg
    Budgeting again, must try harder!!
    Sealed pot challenge no.31
    Frugal challenge 2019
    January nsd = 15
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 7th Jan 19, 6:01 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 17,477 Thanks
    villagelife
    Make do with food from freezer and using up veg. Didn't have quite enough potatoes for mash so stretched then with a parsnip which needed eating.
    Minimised the rubbish from the garden. Bits of metal and plastic that we keep digging up.
    Mend the lid on my coffee machine.
    • Hippyhippyshake
    • By Hippyhippyshake 7th Jan 19, 1:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Hippyhippyshake
    I'm new to this forum, can I join in please? I'm trying to minimise this year. There are plenty of things going to the CS but I'm in a quandary over hand/shopping bags. Some are not good enough to go to the CS but too good to throw away....any suggestions? I have an old tan leather handbag that I would like to recycle/upcycle any ideas please?
    I'm also working through my freezer contents. I have loads of food bought by OH as a 'treat' but have not been eaten. Langoustines, lobster, pigs in blankets, there are only two of us!
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 7th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 6,325 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    DOH has successfully extended the single day bed into a double bed. He's built an extension and I now have a double bed. Saved us a fortune!

Also mended my work shoes which had holes, a broken insole and a broken shoelace. I was panicking as I didn't think I would have any shoes to wear to work this morning - but where there's a will there's a way.
    DFW Nerd No: 600
    • misstara
    • By misstara 7th Jan 19, 10:55 PM
    • 3,015 Posts
    • 21,780 Thanks
    misstara
    miss empty piggy - great that your OH was able to extend the bed and you were able to fix your shoes

Welcome to the thread Hippyhippyshake, lovely to have you. Don't have any suggestions about the handbags but sure someone else will. Certainly wish my freezer contents were as exciting as yours yum!

My mend for today was fixing my fitbit as it hadn't been syncing for a few day. Googled what to do and it seems to be working fine now.

I'm currently working my way through a big S&G body lotion that has a pump at the top. Nothing more coming out of the pump but the bottle was still about a quarter full so have cut the top off. Will probably get at least a week's more use out of it
    Mini Targets in January
    • kittydfw2012
    • By kittydfw2012 9th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    kittydfw2012
    Yes love the ingenuity of miss empty piggy and her clever husband for making a double bed, absolute result as beds are massively expensive even for cheap ones if that makes any sense.

I've been in the wars a bit with a cold, a bruised finger that was swollen enough for me to start catostrophising that I was going to have it amputated (Gosh I'm a drama queen!) and horrendous PMS (at 46, I'm sure the big M is on its way and my hormones do really affect things on several days) so not been able to get on with good MMMing as much as I'd hoped. Thankfully, all the above seem to be heading off to bug someone else so am hoping for a productive day of tidying, dog walking, cooking and some admin.

Make do: Fancied pudding last night but didn't have a lot of fresh stuff in so managed to convince OH to make ground rice with strawberry jam - comfort food, yum.

Mend: glued the paper section of a magnetic notebook back onto its cardboard backing so I could put it on my fridge for quick note making about food/shopping etc.

Minimise: Thankfully, the Christmas cake is now gone Minimised a small swede into swede and carrot mash. Also made a roast dinner with leftover turkey and gravy from the Christmas dinner which was AMAZING even if I say so myself

I've noticed a lot of food references which probably accounts for also needing to minimise me significantly this year. Oh well, time for breakfast. Have a good day everyone x
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 9th Jan 19, 9:03 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 21,604 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Mended: 5 pairs of girl's winter tights, 1 sleeping bag bag, 1 cardi, 1 pair of underpants.

Minimise: decided to not mend two school backpacks. They were cheap and are falling apart at all the seams. Husband's work sweater has a hole in the middle of the chest, which cannot be mended invisibly, so that's also in the ragbag.

Make do: trying to empty fridge, freezer and pantry, eating maybe not what we want, but what is there. I lost my job two months ago and received almost a year's compensation, and husband has a job and a company car. We are nowhere near suffering, but I want to try and keep the compensation pay safe as long as possible.
    2019's wi-wa-wombles 90,96 = 80.99
    Wombling to wealth 2018 972,97 = 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68 = 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31 = 2,969.05
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 9th Jan 19, 11:47 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 6,325 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    Sorry to hear about the job Siebrie
    DFW Nerd No: 600
    • kittydfw2012
    • By kittydfw2012 10th Jan 19, 7:42 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    kittydfw2012
    Mend: repainted the tops of a nest of wooden tables with white antique furniture paint bought from Ald! for 5 a while ago. When there are marks from coffee cups etc, I just give them a lick of paint and they look brand new again.

Make do: nothing comes to mind

Minimise: Dog's insurance bill. New premiums came through at nearly 300 for a year with a 100 excess, 30% copay and exclusions. When I did claim on the policy last year, it took ages and they tried their best to get out of paying and even then it was only around 100 which was only a fraction of what I've paid them over the years. I recently got a voluntary redundancy payout so was able to pay some debts off and be in a more secure financial position (although no job so the money has to last until I do secure work) so I've decided to self insure and joined The Dogs Trust as a member for 25 for the whole year which provides public liability insurance (important when you have a daft dog that could well cause an accident or the like), veterinary advice hotline 24/7, taking care of your dog in the event you die and being able to support a great charity.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 10th Jan 19, 8:19 AM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 21,604 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Sorry to hear about the job Siebrie
    Originally posted by miss empty piggy
    Thank you, but I'm fine. It was a very stressful job, and I didn't get along with my new boss, and then it's the Assistant that has to go, not the Executive Vice President I am still destressing, SAHM for the time being, figuring out what to do next; maybe back to university even.
    2019's wi-wa-wombles 90,96 = 80.99
    Wombling to wealth 2018 972,97 = 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68 = 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31 = 2,969.05
    • Hippyhippyshake
    • By Hippyhippyshake 10th Jan 19, 11:56 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Hippyhippyshake
    Onwards and upwards with the MMM's, no decision about the bags yet (indecision will be the death of me). I had a hip replacement 10 weeks ago so although I'm almost back to normal (!) I still have to take it a bit easy, so yesterday afternoon I watched Manhunt and did some mending at the same time. I've not repaired anything for years.....feeling smug ��. I lost my job because of my hip problems, I need to be a bit more savvy. Love these posts, everyone is so encouraging.
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 10th Jan 19, 2:57 PM
    • 3,583 Posts
    • 42,348 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    Hi all, just re-joining to spur myself on. I am in process of emptying my house, partly because its full but mainly because Im trying to fund a caravan. So will post as often as I can to keep myself going. I started this in August and have a way to go.

Make do - wanted something sweet to eat, mostly for hubby as he isn't eating enough ( disabled and in pain). Got the mixer out and whipped up a couple of ginger cakes from what was already in.

Mend- took my old curtains apart and as the liner was fleece I want to use it for something that wont need washing a lot. Gave it a quick wash to brighten it up then my grand- daughter took a shine to it so now its on top of her bed here Going to retrieve it and encase it in the old curtain then sew fabric to the top to make a soft rug for the childrens bedroom here.

Mend - fixed the pocket in hubbys winter coat.
    Minimising 'Stuff''
    Keeping my purse shut still.

Motto for the year - Don't buy it!!!

COLOR=Red]
    [/COLOR]
    • misstara
    • By misstara 10th Jan 19, 11:41 PM
    • 3,015 Posts
    • 21,780 Thanks
    misstara
    Still not got round to mending anything but I've got a few days holiday at the start of next week so will do it then. Plan is also to venture into the cupboard of doom and install some order to it

Made a quiche this morning which got rid of some slightly dubious cream (out of date and opened over 2 weeks ago but looked and smelled fine) and the last scraps of a gammon joint that had been lurking in the freezer for a while. Had some for lunch with salad and will take some to work tomorrow.
    Mini Targets in January
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 11th Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 665 Posts
    • 4,286 Thanks
    savingpennies
    Morning all.
    My list for the rest of this month;
    Minimise
    - Sort through the freezer and record the contents in my freezer book. When we had a new kitchen fitted and we packed everything up, my old freezer book went missing. I can then do some meal plans and use the stuff up.

- I got OH to get some boxes containing my wool stash out of the loft. I need to look through and see what I can do with the contents.

Mend
    - I've two cushion covers that need new zips, so need to measure and purchase. I've also some lovely fabric printed with books/pens that I am going to make new cushions with so need zips for those too.

Make do
    - Paint dining room chairs and reupholster. We've painted and sanded the table and sideboard but didn't have time to do chairs, so need to finish that job.

I think that's enough.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    2019 in 2019: 68.73
    2019 2 savers:
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 11th Jan 19, 5:09 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 7,866 Thanks
    YorksLass
    A bit of a slow start for me to this year's MMMing but have managed a few bits this week.

Make do:
    - The usual using up of leftovers; very happy to say we've finished all the Xmas'y stuff now.
    - Cut the top off a squeezy tube of body lotion so I can get to the last bits and using the cut off bit as a lid.

Mend:
    - Another knitter here who likes knitting and the end result but not the sewing up bit inbetween. I'm spending half an hour a day in the afternoons (a bit like making an appointment with myself) to do the sewing so the (very) large stash will go down - eventually!
    - Have planted up an amaryllis bulb that I'd saved from last year and it's already showing signs of growth.
    - Made a few gift tags from this year's Xmas cards and used ribbons from my craft stash as ties. There's a few pennies saved.

Minimise:
    - Xmas tree down and stored away along with baubles etc. No sorting needed as I did that last year.
    - Xmas cards in re-cycling, minus foil embellishments and glittery bits (our council doesn't want those in re-cycling).
    - Used up a ys tub of brandy butter to make a batch of oat & raisin cookies.
    - Seven items of assorted bric a brac put in carrier bag ready to go to cs next week.
    - Junk mail recycled.
    - Binned an old toothbrush that I'd been using for cleaning - the bristles were so splayed it wasn't cutting the mustard any more.

Will must try harder next week
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Jan 89.46/175 and 10/35 NSDs (Jan-Dec 172.45 under budget)

• nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 11th Jan 19, 11:08 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 13,529 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone

Hippyhippysake: Sounds if a few interesting meals will be coming up!

Make do: still make meals from cupboards, fridge and freezer. Today I made butternut squash soup with home grown butternut and a pasta and prawn dish with fridge and freezer stuff.

Minimise: still sorting out, now Im in my craft room and it will take longer as I try to get rid of stuff I know I wont use - it will be going to CS/school

Mend: haven't mended any clothes but I did cobble together another catch for the gp hutch.

Happy mmming everyone.

Nannyg
    Budgeting again, must try harder!!
    Sealed pot challenge no.31
    Frugal challenge 2019
    January nsd = 15
    • kittydfw2012
    • By kittydfw2012 12th Jan 19, 6:57 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    kittydfw2012
    Mend: my sore finger is getting better, bruise and swelling now gone right down - weird injury where I banged it (not very hard) on something and I must have hit a sensitive spot and it bruised and swelled really quickly, very strange. My OH says it's because I'm getting to be a 'duffer' as he describes older people - rude - and he's older than me so what does that make him??

Make do: used washing up liquid to give the bathroom sink and bath a clean. I find this brings it all up lovely and I hate how bathroom cleaner smells and leaves chemicals in the air. I occasionally use the smallest amount of bleach in the shower plug hole and toilet to get rid of nasties but otherwise it's a bit of the green stuff for my cleaning (I find Fa!ry is the best and lasts longest).

Minimise: Went through the two bookcase shelves that make up my 'office' and even though I follow Konmari and minimise stuff as I go, I still managed to get rid of a whole bag full of papers, old notebooks, cards etc. Everywhere is looking spic and span which I love.

Happy MMMing x
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Jan 19, 8:01 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 17,477 Thanks
    villagelife
    Mend - a drawer that DH had broken. The front of it had come iff. Hopefully it's a permanent fix.

Make do - covered some card with paper for a display as the card was old boxes. DH wanted me to buy new card.

Minimize - Boxes from DS2 room which had been there since Christmas. Also some fish from the freezer used up in a fish pie.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,603Posts Today

8,255Users online

Martin's Twitter