Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    • 881Posts
    • 6,538Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 18 at 4:30 PM
    Welcome to the 2019 Fashion On The Ration Challenge. The 2018 thread was very successful and can be found here. Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, several of us are continuing our "Fashion on the Ration" challenge into 2019.

Even after last year’s challenge, I still have an overflowing wardrobe. Half of my coupons went on yarn, so rather than decreasing my yarn stash it grew considerably. My aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw atthe Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
    • Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.

I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 04-01-2019 at 6:55 PM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 3
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 4th Jan 19, 9:06 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Pip, are you even remotely within reach of Telford? Because if you are, I have a Shetland Woollie Horse, which is an amazing wooden frame with every angle adjustable so you can put a washed, still-wet jumper on, and gradually move the pieces another hole along every so often, so after an hour or so it's a heck of a lot bigger than you thought possible...

If nowhere near here, then I suggest you block it, and keep returning to move the pins a little further and a little further...

And it will be no consolation but... I really, really commiserate with you... xx
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Thank you. Sadly, not near Telford, or Iíd suggest we meet up for a knitting/sewing session. I do like the sound of your Shetland Woollie Horse, though. Where did you get it?

Every time I go into the kitchen, I give the jumper another tug. I think its nearly back to its original size so hopefully Iíve dodged the shrinkage bullet, but itís still quite fuzzy. It seemed to relax once Iíd had a go at it. It looks about the same size as it was in the photo but that had a lot of ďgiveĒ in it, while I donít know if it still does. Iíll see once itís dry.

I used the wool cycle on our washing machine. It has a 600rpm spin cycle. I am wondering, though, whether the machine needs servicing/replacing. Itís not making strange noises or anything like that but I do think the wool cycle isnít as gentle as it was in the past. I have nothing to base that suspicion on.

Thank you for the information about the causes of shrinkage/felting. I remember seeing old advertisements for ďboiled woolĒ. Iíve always wondered what that was like to handle and whether boiling it made the plies meld together.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 4th Jan 19, 9:15 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I'm not certain but I think "boiled wool" in the sense of yarn before it's knitted up was a kind of advertising wording for its having been sterilised, I believe by hot steam passing through it (with of course no movement and so no shrinkage).

I do knit enormous floppy socks, 13-15 inches long in the foot, using Aran pure-wool on 6mm DPNs, all loopy and floppy and loose - and huge! Then I pop them in with the normal laundry for a few times, and warily and cautiously tumble-dry them, and they end up as a Size 6.5 for me, and Size 9 for my chap, and they are so unbelievably warm and cosy, it's gorgeous! We wear them as bed-socks and slippers.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 4th Jan 19, 9:17 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Oh and the Woollie horse - if you have hand-knit jumpers, it's worth having one, if you can get one... I originally had it because it was in our house when we moved into it in the 1970s when I was a kid, but then I lent it to someone who never returned it (grrr!) but eventually I got the £35 out of her to snap up another one spotted on eBay...

This is them, exactly the same as my current and the lost one!

https://www.kariebookish.net/blog/4489
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 5th Jan 19, 5:17 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Good news! It still fits!
    This morning, I tried on the sweater and it fits. It’s a bit more snug than I would have liked but not by much. I would say there is zero/possibly negative ease when I was hoping for maybe an inch of positive ease. The length has not been compromised, so I won’t be struggling to tuck it into my skirts or trousers. The sleeves are shorter than I’d like but that’s because I ran out of yarn.

I’ve updated the photos on Ravelry. Please take a look. (Just wish I could figure out how to link directly to them on an iPad.). Although I enjoyed knitting with Gotland, I’m not impressed by the dye job. As you can see from the before-and-after-washing photos, it never took and has pretty much washed away, leaving the Gotland’s natural grey on show.

I’ve also finished the second sweater on my list, a red version of Susan Crawford’s Sun-ray Ribbing, using 3 skeins of her Ghyll yarn which was released in special kits as part of her FUBC fund-raising for breast cancer research in 2017. You may remember that I spent 4 coupons early last year buying a third kit, so that I’d have enough of the red colourway to knit a jumper. I’m glad I did; even after small modifications so that I had enough yarn to knit the collar, I’m down to scraps (the longest reminant I have left is 6 inches long). Now I’m contemplating what I could knit with the three white skeins from the kits.

Oh and the Woollie horse - if you have hand-knit jumpers, it's worth having one, if you can get one... I originally had it because it was in our house when we moved into it in the 1970s when I was a kid, but then I lent it to someone who never returned it (grrr!) but eventually I got the £35 out of her to snap up another one spotted on eBay...

This is them, exactly the same as my current and the lost one!

https://www.kariebookish.net/blog/4489
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Ooohhh..... I am tempted. It’ll take 2-3 months before the wool fund has been replenished enough to buy one but, in the meantime, I’ve followed the link from Karie Westerman’s blog to the Jamieson & Smith website and added my email to their “notify when back in stock” list.

- Pip. (2 jumpers down, 3 to go from the Must Finish List.)

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 5th Jan 19, 6:38 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 36,014 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Unfortunately, Gotland felts really easily for a fibre that waves rather than crimps. I have a favourite pair of slippers made from Gotland, hand-felted & embroidered in Dorset feather stitch, with soles cut from an old leather sofa. Won me a prize at the county craft show!

I'd echo the advice to block gently back to shape, and wash very carefully in future. Hope it works!
    Angie

GC Jan 19 - £283.71/£400
    Bulk-buy purse '19 £250, pet & livestock food '19 £400

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 5th Jan 19, 7:20 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 25,210 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Ooh it looks great, Pip - although I see what you mean about the colour, still it looks very soft and natural.

I applaud you for getting on with those WIPs, I have a real mental block on restarting things that are unfinished. Silly really because a lot of the work has already been done, but I find it really hard to motivate myself to get them out of the bag, it's always more fun to start a new project.

I was 3/4 of the way through a gorgeous (and quite difficult) jumper for my friend's son, lost my knitting mojo and of course he is now too big for it (grrr). However she is now expecting another baby so I really must finish it, I think it only needs a neckbands and a bit of embroidery/making up. That's why this challenge is so good for me, if we were rationed you'd use up every scrap of wool before buying anything new!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 5th Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    Glad to hear that the jumper is at least wearable - I did feel for you when I read your earlier post!

I've just found out why my sleeves were wrong - I left a whole section of the increases out! Silly me. That's two sleeves that I will now have to redo.... Hey- ho, its a good job that the evenings are still long.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 7th Jan 19, 9:57 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    We finally have curtains up - no, we haven't blown coupons buying them, these are the green velvet curtains that were bought in 1979 for my childhood bedroom! A bit faded, so the original dark olive green is now a gentle, rather lovely, warm greengage golden-green colour, but perfectly fine otherwise.

Well done, John Lewis curtain dept, 1979! It shows that buying good quality pure-cotton velvet was worth it, if they are still in use 40 years later!

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 7th Jan 19, 12:52 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 25,210 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Ooh they are gorgeous! I really don't like new stuff - I can remember complimenting a friend on her new sofa and saying 'it looks as if you've had it forever', luckily she understood, so that soft look really appeals to me. It must have been a huge job measuring them to hem or whatever you needed to do.

I wonder if the equivalent bought today, even from John Lewis, will last as long. I'm not likely to be around to find out!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 7th Jan 19, 1:10 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    vintagegal
    Magnificent curtains Laura_Elsewhere, how lucky to still have them. My parents don't keep anything.

All this knitting talk has made me realise what a beginner I am! It is like another language. I only learnt to do a purl stitch yesterday! Oh well, we all have to start somewhere.. I'd love to be able to knit something to wear one day, maybe for next winter!

I have already fallen off the wagon by ordering two pairs of shoes, well trainer type things. So that's 10 points already and its only day 6 of the year! And I don't 'need' them, I just wanted them. If I don't absolutely love them when they come, I will send them back.

I know the sales are my weakness so I will try not to look online any more. I've been unsubscribing from emails too, but Instagram is an issue for me. It's not just following the retailers, I seem to be able to get inspiration from anything

I downloaded the Fashion on the Ration book and started reading it last night, very interesting about how many items of clothing people would have had. What we think is normal now is just so excessive compared with even before the war.

I have also seen a dress I am hankering after (not in the sale, new in and literally my perfect denim dress). Do I need it?? No.

Am going to try and watch the Marie Kondo programme this week, maybe that will help me want to live with less stuff!

Have agreed with my friend that we will have a day out in the Spring somewhere nice to go round the charity shops and have lunch. Will check out the Oxfam link as well, thank you.

Sorry to ramble on, think I am going to need a lot of encouragement this year. I'd like to lose some weight so that is kind of making me think twice about buying clothes, but shoes are another matter..

Also do we count jewellery in this challenge? I mean junky stuff not the real deal.
    Fashion on the Ration 2019 used 16 / 66
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 7th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I love the colour of the curtains, Laura. Theyíre a little long but otherwise look gorgeous.

Vintagegal, we are the knitting Borg. We will assimilate you. Iíd suggest that you spend a ball of yarn just practising stitches and then knit a hat. It will work up reasonably quickly and give you something you can wear. It will also give you a chance to learn every technique youíll ever need to knit a sweater.

Jewellery wasnít rationed but was probably hard to come by.

Unfortunately, Gotland felts really easily for a fibre that waves rather than crimps. I have a favourite pair of slippers made from Gotland, hand-felted & embroidered in Dorset feather stitch, with soles cut from an old leather sofa. Won me a prize at the county craft show!

I'd echo the advice to block gently back to shape, and wash very carefully in future. Hope it works!
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Noted. I thought itíd felt easily when I was knitting it up. This jumper is destined to be hand-wash only now.

Ooh it looks great, Pip - although I see what you mean about the colour, still it looks very soft and natural.

I applaud you for getting on with those WIPs, I have a real mental block on restarting things that are unfinished. Silly really because a lot of the work has already been done, but I find it really hard to motivate myself to get them out of the bag, it's always more fun to start a new project.

I was 3/4 of the way through a gorgeous (and quite difficult) jumper for my friend's son, lost my knitting mojo and of course he is now too big for it (grrr). However she is now expecting another baby so I really must finish it, I think it only needs a neckbands and a bit of embroidery/making up. That's why this challenge is so good for me, if we were rationed you'd use up every scrap of wool before buying anything new!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Iím betting that you reached a point where you needed to concentrate and didnít have the bandwidth. I know that feeling.

Glad to hear that the jumper is at least wearable - I did feel for you when I read your earlier post!

I've just found out why my sleeves were wrong - I left a whole section of the increases out! Silly me. That's two sleeves that I will now have to redo.... Hey- ho, its a good job that the evenings are still long.
    Originally posted by CapricornLass
    You need highlighter tape. I find it invaluable for marking my place on patterns - itís stickier than a post-it but lifts off and re-adheres easily, without marking your pattern.

- Pip

• BabyStepper
    • By BabyStepper 8th Jan 19, 6:40 AM
    • 200 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    BabyStepper
    Love your curtains Laura, so cosy looking.

I've just made my first purchase, some voile curtains to finish off the decor in our spare room. I was sure I'd read something about coupons for these but can't seem to find it in the first post, any ideas anyone?
    May '18 £21,228.07/Dec '18 £16,897.69

20.4% paid

Getting it done

• CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 8th Jan 19, 3:01 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    Thanks for the tip re the highlighter tape, Pipney - I will go and search for some!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 8th Jan 19, 7:24 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I have just found a whole lot of fabric behind the bench in the sitting-room that I have been searching for in my parents' house, having concluded I must have stored it there as it wasn't here in our flat...! My partner is too efficient at packing things away...!

It looks like I may spend on haberdashery - was that couponed? Or shall I salvage zips and buttons and poppers from old clothing, hmmm...
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 8th Jan 19, 7:37 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 25,210 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    not just me that does things like that, then.

According to the list above sewing thread, elastic and "hard haberdashery" were not on coupons. I think you should be okay with zips then.

Babystepper there is nothing listed about curtains - I assume that all fabric was in short supply, and furnishing fabric would've been rationed as well. I think it's up to you how far you want to take it, most of us are joining in to try and curb our spending on clothes and fabric/yarn, so you could just assume curtains are exempt if you want.
    • vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 9th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    vintagegal
    I've watched two episodes of Marie Kondo and felt terrified at the prospect of putting all my clothes on the bed so that I can see the full extent of what I own... for a start I am going to have a look at what I have that needs mending/adjusting. I know I have some dungarees with a clip that doesn't stay clipped, I'd wear them if that was done, so that should be the first task. I have another dress that I don't like the sleeves on, and it shows too much cleavage, so I might see what can be done with that. Not sure I can do it myself though.

Have been knitting a bit in the evenings and am really enjoying it. Hopefully my screen time will come down. Am still trying to unsubscribe from emails as well.

In the spirit of 'make do and mend' I glued back together two pairs of earrings that I broke last summer and have been meaning to sort out!

Hope you have a good day everyone

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 9th Jan 19, 5:26 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    [FONT=Arial]I've watched two episodes of Marie Kondo and felt terrified at the prospect of putting all my clothes on the bed so that I can see the full extent of what I own...
    Originally posted by vintagegal
    ?!?!?! I don't have a big enough bed! Seriously, I don't... my skirts have 3-6 metres of fabric in each, most are lined, and I have about a dozen of those... and I must have twenty or thirty jumpers of different weights and styles and colours...

We don't use heating much and I'm out on foot most days so I dress very seasonally. I do have too much, I know, but I am gradually replacing multiple bought jumpers with fewer, better, hand-made ones. I don't see any point in throwing out jumpers which have 2-3 years' more wear in them but which are too worn for charity shops and would just go for industrial textile-rags. Better surely for me to keep wearing them while I knit the fewer replacements whilst not buying any more cheap modern jumpers that pill and wear through really fast.

I have another dress that I don't like the sleeves on, and it shows too much cleavage, so I might see what can be done with that. Not sure I can do it myself though.
    What IS it with modern designers and plunging necklines for everything? I'm starting to teaching myself how to crochet lace edgings into my t-shirts, vest-tops and long-sleeved tops, because all of them are so low-cut, even the round-necked ones. If I wanted to be a Page Three Girl, I'd be one, but in the meantime, I'd rather not walk round half-topless!

You'll get there, VintageGal - repairing earrings and knitting is a couple of lovely big steps!
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 9th Jan 19, 5:32 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I'm re-soling some boots tomorrow instead of buying new ones. I've got quite competent at it over the last few years! It seems so silly to buy new boots because the modern ones with the cast-in-one sole-heel cannot be reliably re-soled or re-heeled so have to be replaced... I do sometimes find a sole suddenly flapping badly and have to pull it off and bring it home in my bag and have another go at the glueing, so I can see why shoemending places won't do it.
    And Blakey's non-metal segs on the heels too. Again, as there's nothing in a modern cast-in-one hollow plastic heel to nail the segs into, I have to use lots of glue and spend the first few weeks listening for the odd clip-clunk sound that means one of my boots or shoes has lost its seg, time to walk back and find it... once they're on, they do stay on, though.

For my recent fiftieth birthday my parents are putting money towards having a pair of lace-up leather everyday medium-heeled shoes made for me. I'm quite excited about this! They should outlive me...
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 9th Jan 19, 10:49 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 25,210 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Ooh, how lovely! I've always dreamed of having handmade shoes.

I agree about the jumpers, better to wear clothes out than dump them ... as long as you enjoy wearing them. The whole point of Marie Kondo is that you only keep stuff you love, there's no obligation to throw anything out. However the reality for most of us is that we have a lot of clothes that we don't really enjoy wearing! Since I did it, I've got a much more cohesive wardrobe, and I don't find myself pulling ten things out and finding nothing I want to wear. You sound as if you've got a very definite style, Laura, you clearly know what works for your life and what suits you.
    • vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 10th Jan 19, 12:42 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    vintagegal
    How fabulous to have some shoes made. I love the sound of these shoes with integrity. Please post a picture when you get them!

I'm wearing a cardigan today that I bought last year that was handknitted, it is so warm and beautiful it is inspiring me to keep learning and practicing my knitting. It is so much more special than any machine knitted cardigan I have ever owned. And I supported a small independent business in buying it. Now just to learn how to increase/decrease stitches....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

338Posts Today

4,102Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: Inappropriate kisses, uncharacteristic formality, or simple nonsense. I'm stumped, how do you sign off work e-mails? Eve?

• RT @BBCPolitics: "This is what annoys people. You're not answering!" Sparks (and papers) fly as @MartinSLewis challenges minister Chris Sk?

• RT @Mattallwright: Spot on. I also hate train toilet seats that try and make me laugh. It's the same joke every journey. https://t.co/b1Tj4?

• Follow Martin